Tournament My San Jose experience.

PokemonLover17

Aspiring Trainer
Hello, this is my last year as a senior and i decided to test my luck at San Jose...
I was playing Nightmarch and ran a 1-1 zoroark line.

Round 1 0.1
Lost to gardevior... could not get set up and made a few misplays... he swept game one with rare candies and then barley pulled out game 2.

Round 2 1.1
Round 2 i won against tapukoko spread with necrozma and mew. It was weird the first game as i did not really know how to play against this deck... i lost round one. the second round i prepared and pulled it out. game three was close but i managed to win.

Round 3. 2.1
i won against a mega gardevior. my opponent did not really know how to play the deck and it was very easy for me to secure the win.

Round 4 3.1
round 4 i faced a metagross GX deck... it was a standard list so i set up way before him... i dont know why he decided to play a standard list but thats on him.
Round 5 3.2
i lost against turbo turtles, i would have done better but i got terrible draws and i was not familiar with the turbo turtles list or how to play against it.

At this point me and my friend had the same score and we both needed to win out to make top cut... we were hoping we would not face but we ended up facing each other...
round 6 3.2.1
we were both playing night march but he had a thicker zoroark line... he told me to go as fast as i could so that we would not have to go to time so we were both rushing and not cutting each others decks or anything like that, he had a lifedewed joltik and because i was rushing i took a prize with out realizing that he had life dew... that misplay caused me to no longer be able to make top 16... he called a judge.... man im still salty.... and he got a prize ... after that we traded KO's until time.... he then took a while to figure out what he was going to do and finally barely forced a draw.
Round 7 4.2.1

At this point im kinda discouraged because i felt like i got a cheap shot taken at me but was still hoping for top 32... so i sat down and faced heatmor.... .he milled me so hard i lost game one because he got rid of all my energy... game 2 i conserved my resources and won... game three i managed to pull through.

i was hoping for points but because we had under 100 seniors i got nothing.... if ther had been 15 more kids i would have had 60 points but alas.... my luck was not with me that day... you might say... Hey! at least you got a booster box! but i got three alolan golem in it so rip my life.... however it was a learning experience and i had fun.... take care guys!
-Caleb

This was fun to read. Yeah, sucks when stupid displays force you to lose the game. You probably could've called a judge round 6 since your opponent suggested that you should rush the game. I think I'll do this for my Memphis trip

Sounds like your friend pressured you into playing fast which caused you to misplay. Regardless of him being your friend, you should definitely take your time as long as you're not slow playing. I'd be salty that he called judge over. Seeing as how you both were playing sloppy (playing fast, not cutting each other's decks), I feel like you could've put that Prize card back down and have him shuffle them. I know that might not be the proper thing to do, and I'm sure someone on here will correct me, but forcing you to play fast and then calling a judge of you sounds grimy, haha. Oh well, it sounds like it was a learning experience! I thought about going to San Jose myself, but it's like an 8 hour drive and I play Standard mainly so I passed. I do want to make it to a Regional or two this year though!

Sounds like you need to learn your decks matchups. And have more fimiliarity with the metagame. Also, the rushing, you should've taken yout time. As long as you're no purposley slow playing, you should be fine and nothing will happen.

Back