• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard My Alolan Ninetales GX Deck,Need Help for Burning Shadows

TheBossBlastoise

I rule the PokeSea
  • This is my current Alolan Ninetales GX deck if anyone has ideas for cards to cut/add From Burning Shadows post them down in the comments. Thanks!
  • Pokemon:13
  • 4 Alolan Vulpix GUR 21
  • 3 Alolan Ninetales GUR 22
  • 1 Manaphy EX BKP 32
  • 1 Tapu Koko SM PM 31
  • 1 Sudowoodo GUR 66
  • 2 Tapu Lele GX GUR 60
  • 1 Shaymin EX ROS 77
  • Supporters: 12
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Brigette
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 1 Professor Kukui
  • Items:20
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Aqua Patch
  • 3 Choice Band
  • 3 Dive Ball
  • 1 Rescue Stretcher
  • 1 Field Blower
  • Stadiums:3
  • 3 Rough Seas
  • Energy
  • 8 Water
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy

A good amount of cards that you're using are going to rotate out of Standard soon. I've been playing Ninetales for awhile now and have a pretty good feel for it.

Remove the Shaymin for a regular Alolan Ninetales from the new set. I don't know if Manaphy is really worth playing because most of the Pokemon you're running have low retreat costs anyways. It's a 2-prize liability once it's on the bench. I'm also not a huge fan of Sudowoodo because while it limits your opponent's bench, it also uses up a spot on your bench as well. I'd remove both Manaphy and Sudowoodo for a Remoraid and Octillery for the draw support. I prefer a 2-2 line though for consistency.

Hex Maniac, Lysandre, VS Seeker, Dive Ball, and Rough Seas are all rotating so that frees up 12 spots. Running thicker Supporter counts will be key since VS Seeker won't be available. I recommend using two of those spots for a second Octillary line. Then I would add a fourth N, three Guzma, a second Brigette, and a second Kukui. Mallow would be a good option to consider as well because of it's synergy with Octillery.

I think two Field Blowers are a must for every deck going forward so I'd add a second one. I would also add two Float Stones for your Octillery, and to a lesser extent, Tapu Lele.

I don't think there are really any Stadium cards worth running now that Rough Seas is rotated out. Brooklet Hill is an option but with Brigette, I really don't think you need it.

Hopefully I was able to help!

Pokemon x17

Alolan Ninetales GX x3
Alolan Ninetales x2
Alolan Vulpix x4
Octillery x2
Remoraid x2
Tapu Lele GX x2
Tapu Fini GX x1
Tapu Koko Promo x1

Supporter x13

Sycamore x4
N x3
Brigette x1
Guzma x2
Mallow x2
Lillie x1

Item x16

Aqua Patch x4
Ultra Ball x4
Float Stone x2
Choice Band x3
Field Blower x2
Rescue Stretcher x1

Stadium x2

Brooklet Hill x2

Energy x12

DCE x4
Water Energy x8

This is the list I'm looking at right now for post rotation.

Starting with the anomalies, I really do think that Tapu Fini GX has potential. Can be benched by Brigette, Brooklet Hill, and found through Alolan Vulpix and obviously ultra ball. Tapu Fini is by no means something that would attack often. Its 120 snipe is something that I would use once per game, max, however its 1 energy GX attack is something that I may consider using over Alolan Ninetales GX depending on match up. Discarding 2 water energy for the snipe is sucky, but if it's coordinated with Aqua Patch, then it can be used to your advantage to snipe for 120 then set up an Alolan Ninetales GX next turn. No weakness to steel is also a bit assuring. I think it's a surprise worth considering, and I don't think Sudowoodo really helps that much right now since it also restricts your bench space, and we don't see too many bench-specific attacks right now. The only thing that I would think of to replace it right now is a Glaceon EX.

2x Mallow is here because Brooklet Hill can make setting up Octillery fast and consistent. Being able to guarantee 2 of your card draws off Abyssal Hand is really nice, and Mallow is a card that I would like to see used more than once per game. I think she can be ridiculously clutch in this deck.

1 Lillie is here kind of as an experiment for now. I'm not particularly a fan of N's draw power late game, but Lillie's draw power can be either explosive turn one, or at the very least consistent throughout the game. Not sure if she's a keeper, but I want to test her for a while to see what I like more.

I still think only 1 Brigette is needed, and more is just security. I don't think running 2 offers much other than not wanting to prize your only copy, and that didn't even seem to be much of a problem even when VS Seeker was (is) a thing. I feel like Brigette only needs to be played once per match as well.

I believe Brooklet Hill is still great even in the presense of Brigette. I just don't think having both is any worse than having only one or the other.

Last edited:
Pokemon x17

Alolan Ninetales GX x3
Alolan Ninetales x2
Alolan Vulpix x4
Octillery x2
Remoraid x2
Tapu Lele GX x2
Tapu Fini GX x1
Tapu Koko Promo x1

Supporter x13

Sycamore x4
N x3
Brigette x1
Guzma x2
Mallow x2
Lillie x1

Item x16

Aqua Patch x4
Ultra Ball x4
Float Stone x2
Choice Band x3
Field Blower x2
Rescue Stretcher x1

Stadium x2

Brooklet Hill x2

Energy x12

DCE x4
Water Energy x8

This is the list I'm looking at right now for post rotation.

Starting with the anomalies, I really do think that Tapu Fini GX has potential. Can be benched by Brigette, Brooklet Hill, and found through Alolan Vulpix and obviously ultra ball. Tapu Fini is by no means something that would attack often. Its 120 snipe is something that I would use once per game, max, however its 1 energy GX attack is something that I may consider using over Alolan Ninetales GX depending on match up. Discarding 2 water energy for the snipe is sucky, but if it's coordinated with Aqua Patch, then it can be used to your advantage to snipe for 120 then set up an Alolan Ninetales GX next turn. No weakness to steel is also a bit assuring. I think it's a surprise worth considering, and I don't think Sudowoodo really helps that much right now since it also restricts your bench space, and we don't see too many bench-specific attacks right now. The only thing that I would think of to replace it right now is a Glaceon EX.

2x Mallow is here because Brooklet Hill can make setting up Octillery fast and consistent. Being able to guarantee 2 of your card draws off Abyssal Hand is really nice, and Mallow is a card that I would like to see used more than once per game. I think she can be ridiculously clutch in this deck.

1 Lillie is here kind of as an experiment for now. I'm not particularly a fan of N's draw power late game, but Lillie's draw power can be either explosive turn one, or at the very least consistent throughout the game. Not sure if she's a keeper, but I want to test her for a while to see what I like more.

I still think only 1 Brigette is needed, and more is just security. I don't think running 2 offers much other than not wanting to prize your only copy, and that didn't even seem to be much of a problem even when VS Seeker was (is) a thing. I feel like Brigette only needs to be played once per match as well.

I believe Brooklet Hill is still great even in the presense of Brigette. I just don't think having both is any worse than having only one or the other.

I thought about including one Tapu Fini as well. One 50 damage Ice Blade from Ninetales and one 120 damage Hydro Shot from Tapu Fini KOs a Tapu Lele on the bench. Considering how many Lele people are running now, its worth a look for sure.

Pokemon: 14

1 Alolan Nintales
3 Alolan Nintales GX
4 Alolan Vulpix
1 Glaceon EX
1 Manaphy EX
2 Octillery
2 Remoraid

Trainers: 34

4 Aqua Patch
3 Choice Band
2 Field Blower
4 Ultra Ball
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Energy Loto

Supporters
2 Guzma
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
2 Mallow
1 Professor Kukui
1 Skyla

Stadium
4 Brooklet Hill

Energy: 12
8 Water Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

This is decklist I plan to use for the upcoming rotation. It's pretty similar with a couple of changes. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I posted this deck list about a week ago, but heres the link:

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thr...t-rotation-with-baby-alolan-ninetales.141308/

I see the manaphy in the list meaning this is worlds 2017 format. The decklist I posted is for the September - 2018 format.
I came to the conclusion that 1 of supporter cards will be bad in this upcoming format, because of the loss of VS seeker, since you never know how and when you'll be able to grab that 1 card you need. so I have at least 2 of each supporter. I also don't see sycamore being a 4 of if we're relying on Octillery for draw, although the extra copies of sycamore could be used as ultra ball food.

I posted this deck list about a week ago, but heres the link:

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thr...t-rotation-with-baby-alolan-ninetales.141308/

I see the manaphy in the list meaning this is worlds 2017 format. The decklist I posted is for the September - 2018 format.
I came to the conclusion that 1 of supporter cards will be bad in this upcoming format, because of the loss of VS seeker, since you never know how and when you'll be able to grab that 1 card you need. so I have at least 2 of each supporter. I also don't see sycamore being a 4 of if we're relying on Octillery for draw, although the extra copies of sycamore could be used as ultra ball food.

I'm personally still a bit lost on why losing VS Seeker is the determining factor for why 2 of supporters should be more of a thing. If anything, I would say if/when we lose Tapu Lele GX that would be high time to run more supporters so that you can actually see them during the game. VS Seeker to reuse supporters is very strong, don't get me wrong, but using VS Seeker means that you have one way or another already found and used/discarded the supporter that you want to reuse. VS Seeker never increased the probability of finding a supporter in the first place - it just let you regret Ultra Balling and Sycamoring a full hand a little less.

Now, obviously more supporters means that you're more likely to get what you want and when you want it, but other than Sycamore, N, and Guzma, I don't really visualize situations where using certain supporters more than once per game is the game winning move. Most people upped 2 Lysandre to 3 Guzma for this very reason. I feel that VS Seeker on a discarded Lysandre was one of the most go-to useages of VS Seeker, so players specifically increased the count of that to give them more frequent control, but I don't think that applies to every supporter in the deck. I am very new to the game so obviously I lack practical experience, but I just don't see other supporters, namely Brigette, ever hitting the board more than once per game. I removed the 2nd Mallow from my list this morning with this line of thinking despite what I said in my post.

If the concern is finding and controlling timing on our supporters, why isn't the solution adding 1 more Tapu Lele GX and more Rescue Stretcher? Lele will allow you to grab any supporter you're missing, and running more rescue stretcher means that you're not scared of Ultra Balling or Sycamoring away your extra Leles or other Pokemon in general. It's more indirect, but instead of discarding Supporters with the understanding that you have VS Seeker on the way, a new way to look at it would be to discard Tapu Leles knowing that Rescue Stretcher is on the way. Not only that, but Tapu Lele and Rescue Stretchers have more use outside of the particular situation of hunting for Supporters which adds more versatility than focusing only on increasing once per turn cards.

I understand this introduces possible bench space issues as you would rarely want 3 Tapu Lele on the bench at once, but the point of running 3 isn't to play 3. It's to give you more consistency with a card that's much more searchable and leads to more searching, especially in the context of 4 Alolan Vulpix, and running more stretchers means you aren't afraid of someone N'ing the Lele you just searched.

I hope I don't sound like I'm attacking you or anything. I think I just fail to understand your point of view and hope that I'm offering a valid point without coming off the wrong way.

Last edited:
I think running 4 Ultra Ball, 4 Alolan Vulpix, and 2 Octillery is enough draw support/search cards to get you a Tapu Lele GX or draw into a Mallow. I don't run 2 Mallow so I can find it when I need to. I run 2 because I want to use 2 Mallow's in one game, or in case one is prized be able to use one. You make some good points, but I only think they are relevant if I only think the card will be useful once per game. Mallow is a great card in this deck because you can usually use Octillery to draw into two cards, if you play it right. Also I wouldn't be so quick to throw in another Tapu Lele GX, you say it's there for consistency, but Alolan Ninetales decks run a big bench, so you may only be able to put one down. Then you have 2 or 3 dead cards if you plan to run 3 or 4. I hope this was helpful.

I'm personally still a bit lost on why losing VS Seeker is the determining factor for why 2 of supporters should be more of a thing. If anything, I would say if/when we lose Tapu Lele GX that would be high time to run more supporters so that you can actually see them during the game. VS Seeker to reuse supporters is very strong, don't get me wrong, but using VS Seeker means that you have one way or another already found and used/discarded the supporter that you want to reuse. VS Seeker never increased the probability of finding a supporter in the first place - it just let you regret Ultra Balling and Sycamoring a full hand a little less.

Now, obviously more supporters means that you're more likely to get what you want and when you want it, but other than Sycamore, N, and Guzma, I don't really visualize situations where using certain supporters more than once per game is the game winning move. Most people upped 2 Lysandre to 3 Guzma for this very reason. I feel that VS Seeker on a discarded Lysandre was one of the most go-to useages of VS Seeker, so players specifically increased the count of that to give them more frequent control, but I don't think that applies to every supporter in the deck. I am very new to the game so obviously I lack practical experience, but I just don't see other supporters, namely Brigette, ever hitting the board more than once per game. I removed the 2nd Mallow from my list this morning with this line of thinking despite what I said in my post.

If the concern is finding and controlling timing on our supporters, why isn't the solution adding 1 more Tapu Lele GX and more Rescue Stretcher? Lele will allow you to grab any supporter you're missing, and running more rescue stretcher means that you're not scared of Ultra Balling or Sycamoring away your extra Leles or other Pokemon in general. It's more indirect, but instead of discarding Supporters with the understanding that you have VS Seeker on the way, a new way to look at it would be to discard Tapu Leles knowing that Rescue Stretcher is on the way. Not only that, but Tapu Lele and Rescue Stretchers have more use outside of the particular situation of hunting for Supporters which adds more versatility than focusing only on increasing once per turn cards.

I understand this introduces possible bench space issues as you would rarely want 3 Tapu Lele on the bench at once, but the point of running 3 isn't to play 3. It's to give you more consistency with a card that's much more searchable and leads to more searching, especially in the context of 4 Alolan Vulpix, and running more stretchers means you aren't afraid of someone N'ing the Lele you just searched.

I hope I don't sound like I'm attacking you or anything. I think I just fail to understand your point of view and hope that I'm offering a valid point without coming off the wrong way.

The reaso I believe loss of vs seeker effects supporter count is how many times us imagine playing it.... Supporters u don't want to play multiples of but given certain match ups might need multiple uses of , then VS seeker gives you that flexibility. With Vs seeker rotating we have to recognize what the meta decks are going to be and adjust counts according to how frequent we may need a supporter instead of splashing a 1 of and knowing we can acces it multiple times through VS Seeker.

I personally think this will be one of the best, if not the best deck in the 2018 rotation. Baby Alolan Ninetales is too powerful in this new rotation, and that's why I also now run 3 Alolan Ninetales GX and 2 baby Alolan Ninetales. Until they reprint Hex Maniac all the decks that run sole EX or GX attackers have to tech in non EX or GX attackers. I am also considering running a Metagross GX deck, but I had to find space to tech in a Cobalion just cause of Alolan Ninetales. Looking at Duo's deck list I can tell you he is interested in the sniping aspect of the deck because you are running the Tapu Fini GX and Tapu Koko Promo, but I would rather tech in another Guzma. I also wouldn't run Tapu Fini because I think Alolan Ninetale's GX attack is better. Also DKQuagmire you know that Manaphy EX was printed in Breakpoint, so my list is would be legal in the 2018 format. I used to run Glaceon EX, but I dropped it because one of the only good evolution decks in this new format that isn't a GX or EX pokemon is Greninja Break. That deck can work around Glaceon EX by using Giant Water Shuriken because Glaceon EX only stops damage from attacks. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm honestly still at a loss with tech Pokemon options for Alolan Ninetales GX decks.

Other than 3 Alolan Ninetales GX, 2 Baby Alolan Ninetales, 2/2 Remoraid/Octillery, and 2-3 Tapu Lele GX, everything else is kind of undecided still.

I don't like Tapu Koko as much now with Acerola running around. Not everyone will play her, but I can't know that in advance. Tapu Koko effectively makes your whole opponent's board viable for an Acerola target, and that's not a risk I'm going to take. I don't want to put 2 damage counters on a Tapu Lele GX and give my opponent the option to use her again without occupying extra bench space.

Sudowoodo isn't an option anymore for me because it makes both you and your opponent drop to 4 bench space. Especially with my train of thought, I don't want to reduce my own bench space when I run more Tapu Lele GX to compensate for the loss of VS Seeker.

Tapu Fini GX has more to offer than just her GX attack. She's a 1 energy switch with aqua ring, and it's a reusable switch. In other words, Aqua Patch your Alolan Ninetales GX on the bench, Aqua Ring to Alolan Ninetales GX if your opponent's active isn't a threat, start sniping next turn. It's slower than float stone or Guzma, but it's a 3rd option to change your active. The 120 snipe is also super powerful with the ability to OHKO Shaymin EX and both Garbodors on the bench. Also, Ice Blade + Hydro Shot = a 2 hit KO on any of the Tapu GX's on the bench, aka Tapu Lele, for 2 prizes out of nowhere.

For me, Glaceon EX completes the defensive package. Baby Alolan Ninetales protects you from EX and GX, Glaceon EX protects you from non-EX and GX evolutions and most useful BREAK decks. Don't forget that Metang can 1 shot Baby Alolan Ninetales, and I would say it's reasonable to expect more Metagross GX decks with Alolan Ninetales running around. Second Bite is also incredibly useful for finishing off an active Pokemon that you've already been sniping with Ice Blade and lets you clean up your opponent's active without constantly discarding DCE's off Blizzard Edge. Second Bite is just more efficient usage of energy as long as you've hit your opponent's active to roughly half health.

I have also been considering 4 Guzma AND +1 float stone because this deck is all about tactical positioning. You need full control over when you're tanking with Baby Alolan Ninetales and Glaceon EX and when you're sniping with Ice Blade or going for the kill with Blizzard Edge/Second Bite.

I have considered Jirachi, the one with Stardust, as it just barely makes it into the 2018 rotation. For 1 energy you can knock off a DCE and become immune to damage for a turn, but I really don't know.

Maybe there will be some better tech choices in the near future, but honestly I'm very undecided on all of them right now.

I'm honestly still at a loss with tech Pokemon options for Alolan Ninetales GX decks.

Other than 3 Alolan Ninetales GX, 2 Baby Alolan Ninetales, 2/2 Remoraid/Octillery, and 2-3 Tapu Lele GX, everything else is kind of undecided still.

I don't like Tapu Koko as much now with Acerola running around. Not everyone will play her, but I can't know that in advance. Tapu Koko effectively makes your whole opponent's board viable for an Acerola target, and that's not a risk I'm going to take. I don't want to put 2 damage counters on a Tapu Lele GX and give my opponent the option to use her again without occupying extra bench space.

Sudowoodo isn't an option anymore for me because it makes both you and your opponent drop to 4 bench space. Especially with my train of thought, I don't want to reduce my own bench space when I run more Tapu Lele GX to compensate for the loss of VS Seeker.

Tapu Fini GX has more to offer than just her GX attack. She's a 1 energy switch with aqua ring, and it's a reusable switch. In other words, Aqua Patch your Alolan Ninetales GX on the bench, Aqua Ring to Alolan Ninetales GX if your opponent's active isn't a threat, start sniping next turn. It's slower than float stone or Guzma, but it's a 3rd option to change your active. The 120 snipe is also super powerful with the ability to OHKO Shaymin EX and both Garbodors on the bench. Also, Ice Blade + Hydro Shot = a 2 hit KO on any of the Tapu GX's on the bench, aka Tapu Lele, for 2 prizes out of nowhere.

For me, Glaceon EX completes the defensive package. Baby Alolan Ninetales protects you from EX and GX, Glaceon EX protects you from non-EX and GX evolutions and most useful BREAK decks. Don't forget that Metang can 1 shot Baby Alolan Ninetales, and I would say it's reasonable to expect more Metagross GX decks with Alolan Ninetales running around. Second Bite is also incredibly useful for finishing off an active Pokemon that you've already been sniping with Ice Blade and lets you clean up your opponent's active without constantly discarding DCE's off Blizzard Edge. Second Bite is just more efficient usage of energy as long as you've hit your opponent's active to roughly half health.

I have also been considering 4 Guzma AND +1 float stone because this deck is all about tactical positioning. You need full control over when you're tanking with Baby Alolan Ninetales and Glaceon EX and when you're sniping with Ice Blade or going for the kill with Blizzard Edge/Second Bite.

I have considered Jirachi, the one with Stardust, as it just barely makes it into the 2018 rotation. For 1 energy you can knock off a DCE and become immune to damage for a turn, but I really don't know.

Maybe there will be some better tech choices in the near future, but honestly I'm very undecided on all of them right now.

Is MRay the only reason people would play sudowoodo now? (until the rotation)

Running one Tapu Koko for the free retreat alone is, from my experience, necessary. Does Float Stone do the same thing? Yes, but you can't rely on it with Field Blower. Having a reliable pivot is huge for this deck with Aqua Patch. Plus, it does have a good spread damage attack. Could your opponent use Acerola? Sure, but that's your opponent's Supporter for the turn and I don't see most decks running more than one so without VS Seeker you don't have to worry about it that much.

I think one of the things about Ninetales is that it doesn't really need a tech. You can use one, and there are some good options, but it's not necessary. I've been trying out Tapu Fini and I haven't had a game yet where I've used it. I've tried but I think having at least two Ninetales ready to go is more important so Fini just sits there. I'm not going to take it out just yet. I think Glaceon is a good option, especially because Crystal Ray can stall Metagross.

Is MRay the only reason people would play sudowoodo now? (until the rotation)

MRay was one of the primary reasons without taking the drawbacks of Parallel City with you, but it's also not the worst option ever if you drop it into your bench as the last slot and your opponent has yet to set up.

But honestly, to me it just slows you down, restricts your bench, and is one of the worst Pokemon to open with since it won't even hinder your opponent's turn 1 Brigette. The only time Sudowoodo is good is if your 4 bench is stronger than your opponent's 4 bench since Sudowoodo takes up one of your spaces too. I'd recommend Parallel City instead, but this is a water deck so that's not happening.

People are mostly considering Sudowoodo right now because Brooklet Hill is naturally replacing Rough Seas in water decks as the stadium card of choice, and Brooklet Hill can search Sudowoodo to your bench. But both Brooklet Hill and Sudowoodo are unnecessary in the deck.

Brooklet Hill is far less searchable than Brigette in this deck, and if you open Brigette, you're not going to get much mileage out of a Brooklet Hill anyway. Lele search Brigette, you already have 4 Pokemon on your bench. If your concern is stadium wars and wiping out your opponent's stadium, then just scratch 2-3 Brooklet Hill and add 1 to 2 field blower to take care of their float stone/choice band/fighting fury belt/Garbodor while you're at it.

These are just my opinions. I think my main issue is that Alolan Ninetales GX decks don't really have a very impressive Pokemon line up and I'm focusing too much on that aspect. Guzma makes Manaphy EX even more of a liability, I already explained my personal opinion on Sudowoodo, Tapu Fini GX is great on paper but very situational in practice. You just don't have the time to spare charging up her 120 snipe when you should be charging up Alolan Ninetales GX and reserving your energy for its 2 discard cost.

Tapu Koko Promo is mostly useful for the free retreat. That being said, it's a pretty useful feature. I dealt a few practice hands and opening Tapu Koko Promo freed up my flexibility incredibly. I agree with Houchins in the aspect that a free, itemless retreater is exceptional, especially in the Guzma game. If something gets KOd in your active, just drop Tapu Koko Promo back in the active while to figure out your next move.

The only options I feel are good for the deck outside of that are Alolan Ninetales BUS and Glaceon EX. Alolan Ninetales BUS gives you a temporary wall to hide from EX and GX Pokemon. Glaceon EX gives you a wall to hide behind everything else with Crystal Ray, so you can still tank evolved GX Pokemon even with Garbodor around and covers your weakness to Metang, and Second Bite is a good 2 hit KO follow up attack that prevents you from having to discard for every Blizzard Edge just to clean up anything GX with an awkward about of HP left. Sniping with Alolan Ninetales GX and then Guzmaing in Glaceon EX for a no discard kill is not the worst option ever.

Last edited:
Back