Discussion Musings on Wishiwashi

BKRapper

Aspiring Trainer
So, I was recently thinking (like 5 seconds ago) about Wishiwashi and it just occurred to me that it may not be as useless of a card as many of us might believe. Hear me out - Judge me after.

Wishiwashi's ability reads...
"Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard all cards attached to this Pokémon and return it to your hand. You can't use this Ability during your first turn or on the turn this Pokémon was put into play."

This essentially means that its a Sky Return without the energy requirement or attacking for the turn. IT HIT ME! Nobody in their right mind is going to Lysandre this thing up for a single prize which leads me to think the following...
- If this thing gets placed down, it's relatively safe from being pulled into the active
- It potentially forces your opponent to play a 7 card prize game if they choose to knock it out (if you're playing an EX/GX heavy deck)
- This reduces your reliance on Float Stones since a Pokémon is more easily searchable and retrievable from the discard. Most people are already playing these types of utility cards in their decks anyway.
- If you have it on the board for a turn and then put it into the active, you can leave your basic EX attackers on the bench that haven't been set up fully yet and use Max Elixers on them and manually attach for a setup. THEN you can pseudo- Sky Return, move your real attacker into the active, put Wishiwahi back on the bench, and go HAM all over again.
- If you're a mega player and you needed to get an energy into your discard to use a mega turbo, attaching it to Wishiwashi and Cowardicing it would accomplish that for you without wasting resources.

What are y'alls thoughts on this? Am I being ridiculous or does this seem like something worth some thought?

Otaku

The wise fool?
This essentially means that its a Sky Return without the energy requirement or attacking for the turn. IT HIT ME! Nobody in their right mind is going to Lysandre this thing up for a single prize which leads me to think the following...

Whether I am in my right mind or not has certainly been challenged before, but if it is worth bringing up a Wishiwashi with Lysandre for the KO, you bet I will! ;)

This is not the real concern, however, as there are four other risks to consider:
  • One turn delay before you may bounce it
  • Less costly ways of forcing it Active (Escape Rope, for example)
  • Bench hits (30 HP ain't much even on the Bench; see Umbreon-GX as an example)
  • Ability denial (...is there any Ability denial that does not apply to this situation?)
What are y'alls thoughts on this? Am I being ridiculous or does this seem like something worth some thought?

You're not being ridiculous; I think you bring up some good points. Enough to sell me on Wishiwashi? Nope. Enough to make me less certain it is a total waste? Yep. :) Maybe others can add to your argument.

BKRapper

Aspiring Trainer
Fair points to everything you've said and full disclosure, I think I'm being ridiculous ;)!
I don't really think this has any competitive viability but it's fun to think about. I can just imagine a lot of absurd situations where this might be a fun-dumb play.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Fair points to everything you've said and full disclosure, I think I'm being ridiculous ;)!
I don't really think this has any competitive viability but it's fun to think about. I can just imagine a lot of absurd situations where this might be a fun-dumb play.

I have seen some reviewers claiming this is a hidden gem, or the like. There explanations are usually less reasonable than yours, mostly because they ignore that turn of downtime.

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
There are also other small things wishiwashi seems really good with. For example - its a good option to reset a Volcanion ex or a Lapras GX. Alternatively its a potential ninjaboy option that can work as an az. This is more useful for certain decks than others, but that option also exists. There are also a few other potential wishiwashi uses [like the OP said] which makes it an overall very fun card

Kyoushiro44

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Haven't some people tried this in volcanion decks? Retreat to wishiwashi, take it to your hand = tada, can attack once again.