Pokémon Mudsdale Moveset and EV Spread?

joffreyspikes

Aspiring Trainer
Mudsdale is one of my favourite Pokémon to use in the Battle Tree. This is my current set up:

Mudsdale @ Choice Band
Ability: Stamina
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- High Horsepower
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic
- Rock Slide

Thoughts?

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Even though this is a difference of 5 for both power and accuracy, there's literally no reason to use High Horsepower over Earthquake unless you're playing doubles. If you're playing doubles, Assault Vest and Groundium Z are worth considering:
-High Horsepower
-Earthquake
-Heavy Slam
-Close Combat/Rock Slide
Nature: Adamant/Brave
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
Item: Assault Vest

or
-High Horsepower
-Earthquake
-Heavy Slam/Close Combat/Rock Slide
-Protect
Nature: Brave/Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
Item: Life Orb/Groundium Z

Use Brave nature only in Trick Room. If Life Orb's recoil is unappealing, Groundium Z is a viable substitute for a one-time nuke.

If you're playing singles, the set looks fine, but just switch High Horsepower for Earthquake.

TheRealBro..

Well, I wouldn't recommend the choice band.

The moveset seems ok. I wouldn't run heavy slam though. Mudsdale is a very good physical staller so you're gonna want to run toxic. My set would be like this;

Earthquake
Rock slide/Protect
Toxic
Substitute/Protect

252 HP
126 Def/130 Special Def (so you can also toxic stall some special pokemon that lack super effective moves)

In singles this can be very effective. Switch in on something that deals physical damage but cannot really touch you to get a free Defense boost. Than use toxic/substitute as they switch out. Have a good teammate for the bulky water/grass type that's likely to switch in against you after you toxiced it.

Good luck!

Edit; the item would then be leftovers.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Well, I wouldn't recommend the choice band.

The moveset seems ok. I wouldn't run heavy slam though. Mudsdale is a very good physical staller so you're gonna want to run toxic. My set would be like this;

Earthquake
Rock slide/Protect
Toxic
Substitute/Protect

252 HP
126 Def/130 Special Def (so you can also toxic stall some special pokemon that lack super effective moves)

In singles this can be very effective. Switch in on something that deals physical damage but cannot really touch you to get a free Defense boost. Than use toxic/substitute as they switch out. Have a good teammate for the bulky water/grass type that's likely to switch in against you after you toxiced it.

Good luck!

Edit; the item would then be leftovers.
Mudsdale may have a shallow offensive move pool, but it's better off all-out attacking in most cases, as its viable moves have decent coverage together. Heavy Slam takes advantage of Mudsdale's fatness to let it hit at its maximum power most of the time, especially against Fairy Pokemon. Close Combat is also valid, despite the redundant coverage with Earthquake, because it eases prediction on trying to hit Ground immune Pokemon that resist Heavy Slam on the switch.

One of its biggest weaknesses is its lack of reliable recovery. A Rest + Sleep Talk set attempts to compensate for this and is a much better alternative to your set:
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide/Toxic
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/104 Def/152 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

joffreyspikes

Aspiring Trainer
Mudsdale may have a shallow offensive move pool, but it's better off all-out attacking in most cases, as its viable moves have decent coverage together. Heavy Slam takes advantage of Mudsdale's fatness to let it hit at its maximum power most of the time, especially against Fairy Pokemon. Close Combat is also valid, despite the redundant coverage with Earthquake, because it eases prediction on trying to hit Ground immune Pokemon that resist Heavy Slam on the switch.

One of its biggest weaknesses is its lack of reliable recovery. A Rest + Sleep Talk set attempts to compensate for this and is a much better alternative to your set:
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide/Toxic
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/104 Def/152 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
I like this moveset but I want it to be a very physical Pokémon, and I am going to use Focus Sash Trumbeak to activate Stamina on turn 1 so I don't suppose I need Defense EVs. I think Rest would be a good idea but wouldn't Resto Chesto be a better strat if I was gonna run that specific move.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
I like this moveset but I want it to be a very physical Pokémon, and I am going to use Focus Sash Trumbeak to activate Stamina on turn 1 so I don't suppose I need Defense EVs. I think Rest would be a good idea but wouldn't Resto Chesto be a better strat if I was gonna run that specific move.
RestTalk is more effective in singles than in doubles. RestTalk also ensures that Mudsdale does something while it's asleep.

TheRealBro..

Mudsdale may have a shallow offensive move pool, but it's better off all-out attacking in most cases, as its viable moves have decent coverage together

Yeah, both are viable mostly in lower tiers. Battle spot singles is a harsh environment for Mudsdale anyway. It depends on what you want. However, from my experience a stall Mudsdale is more dangerous, and more surprising. Never had to much trouble with the offensive variants because they are pretty predictable and easy to wall by dedicated physical walls such as Suicune, Cresselia and even Mega Salamence unless you predict outstanding.