Collecting Mourning the Legendaries that were ditched in the BW-XY eras.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Y'know, as a collector I'm a big stickler for completion. That's why the fact that some Legendaries being absent from having an EX to their name was a big disappointment to me. Suicune, Regice, the Lake Trio, and Arceus all just got ditched. Poor babies. There's also Megas but I'm not the biggest fan of Mega Evolution(At least, the concept, the cards are great.). Oh well, at least the ones that did get cards have some pretty nice Full Arts(5ban does them justice.). It'll always be annoying to see that weird little space where I'll have to replace some other Legendary where someone like Suicune-EX could be, in the center of my Entei and Raikou full arts. Then you get to the point where Pokemon like Registeel are left without it's brethren and it just gets complex. I know it can't be helped, just a little pet peeve of mine. I'd have loved to see a binder with all the Legendaries in it but hey, what can you do?

...God I'm such a nerd.

Suicune, Regice, the Lake Trio, and Arceus all just got ditched.

I would like to point out that Suicune (BW: Plasma Blast 20/101) and Regice (XY: Ancient Origins 24/98) both have effects to counter Pokémon-EX, so in a weird way, it almost feels complete. Except later we got the other Legendary Beasts as at least decent "regular" Pokémon (Entei even managed two, that sly old dog... lion... volcano... thing) and Regice was part of a clear trio of regular Regi cards so more or less the same deal. I guess what I am saying is at least they didn't get left out entirely. Since you're a collector, at least there is that very pretty set of Legendary Pokémon (most or all of which are terrible) so that you do have a pretty Arceus... even if it isn't an EX and clearly belongs in...

*sigh*

I may be a player and not a collector, and I don't mean to make like of those suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder, but leaving out the Pokémon-EX you mentioned really irritates me as well (hence trying to talk myself out of it XP). It was also annoying that, after restoring x2 Weakness while having stuff hit harder and faster than ever they used the Lake trio to tease us with an answer: just sacrifice three places on your Bench and run three 60 HP Basics to correct this game imbalance, kids! -_- Pokémon-EX, whether it was originally the plan or not, were a great way to balance out the intentionally too strong Legendary Pokémon. Pity they abandoned that at the end of the BW-era. Which brings us to...

There's also Megas but I'm not the biggest fan of Mega Evolution(At least, the concept, the cards are great.).

Yeah, pretty much. XD

At least we got Full Arts. I'm not a collector... but that's the point. It was "harmless" to the serious players to have high rarity slots filled with prettier versions of the cards from a lower rarity. In fact, it helped us as those with money could try to intimidate opponent's with it while those without basically won a (really small) lottery anytime they pulled a Full Art. Still don't know why we didn't get some gorgeous black and white illustrated cards in the Black & White era. C'mon, who dropped the ball there?

I would like to point out that Suicune (BW: Plasma Blast 20/101) and Regice (XY: Ancient Origins 24/98) both have effects to counter Pokémon-EX, so in a weird way, it almost feels complete. Except later we got the other Legendary Beasts as at least decent "regular" Pokémon (Entei even managed two, that sly old dog... lion... volcano... thing) and Regice was part of a clear trio of regular Regi cards so more or less the same deal. I guess what I am saying is at least they didn't get left out entirely. Since you're a collector, at least there is that very pretty set of Legendary Pokémon (most or all of which are terrible) so that you do have a pretty Arceus... even if it isn't an EX and clearly belongs in...

Yeah, I did like the consistency there, having all three of the Legendary Beasts in a row, or having the Regis. It was nice that they didn't completely leave out some Pokemon that would have clearly fit into the set/block of sets it appeared in but went completely missing. I'm pretty sure they've done such before but my memory is at a blank right now. That nice Legendary/Mythical Full Art Promo set was a very nice touch, and it does look very nice in my binder's promo section(which, to be honest is a complete mess, I've been trying to get all the Ultra Rares out of the way before I focus on other cards, knowing how cards like the Full Art Dragons Exalted Mew-EX or the Full Art Jirachi-EX from Plasma Blast have been going up in price.)

At least we got Full Arts. I'm not a collector... but that's the point. It was "harmless" to the serious players to have high rarity slots filled with prettier versions of the cards from a lower rarity. In fact, it helped us as those with money could try to intimidate opponent's with it while those without basically won a (really small) lottery anytime they pulled a Full Art. Still don't know why we didn't get some gorgeous black and white illustrated cards in the Black & White era. C'mon, who dropped the ball there?

Yeah, I really did like the touch of adding Full Art megas to the mix. I remember talking to a friend of mine back in the Phantom Forces days who basically predicted they would happen before the Japanese set list even came out. Both of us were really excited about it at the time. It was nice to play a set of Full Art M-Rayquaza(Roaring Skies 105/108) on the PTCGO(I don't have the money to invest in competitive play in real life, I'd much rather focus on my collection than anything...I don't even think there's a league in my area nearby.). That and, being a collector, some of them do look very pretty. And I would have loved to see some black and white cards in that era too, now that you mention it. Would have been a nice Secret-Rare type of card if you ask me(Just not in the style of Sun and Moon's Hyper/Rainbow Rares. Those were really unnecessary, even if they did add some nice background texturing I don't see why the Full Arts couldn't have had that.

And you know...Backgrounds. Backgrounds would have been nice.)

Back