• Halo Reach

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Mario Sports Mix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Assasians Creed BTH

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't really enjoy any of the games at E3. (Though I'm really looking forward to the 3DS.) However, I'd buy Skyward Sword if I had enough money.

TheDarkLucario said:
Haha Claus, your funny, replacing my name with shrub. Ahaha I'm rofl. You funny![/sarcasm]

I'm sorry that your so fan-boy that you can't think clearly, Zelda has lost its touch.
Haha, yeah I know, I'm so clever right? In fact, I'm so clever that I don't even need sarcasm tags for this.

Also, yay, we get to play the 'ignore everything my opponent said and say something completely unrelated' game! You'd make a great debater, really. Where do you get your skills, by watching American politics?

I'd fiercely debate with you that Twilight Princess is better, game-wise, than OoT. I'd fiercely debate with you that Spirit Tracks is at least on par with Minish Cap and A Link to the Past. If you want to, great, but let's not do it here please, these posts are already unnecessarily long.

TFO said:
Okay, this is bs right here. I don't mind a slight shift because yes, maps change a bit over time. But because they moved the ToT to castle town they should /keep/ it there. And they completely moved the woods from one part of the pap to another. Going from the East side to the South side of the hyrule map is not continuity. Your argument doesn't hold up very well Claus.
You're looking at it wrong. The map is not a literal (fictional) map. The map of Hyrule comes from the writings and oral stories of the legends of heroes in Hyrule. Legends are vague - they don't give specific directional details. Like, when's the last time you heard a legend that said "And the volcano was located in the northeastern area of the country (relative to the centermost point), exactly 527 feet Northnorthwest from the place where the fish people lived, 224 paces southward from the country's northern border directly north of the volcano"?

This is what I meant when I said locations are relative and subject to interpretation in legends. The story would go something like this - "After the hero secured the first Spiritual Stone, he traveled north to Death Mountain." Well, what is north? Is it north in relation to the central point of Hyrule, as in, straight up from the center? Or is it north in relation to where the hero last was, as in, up from Kokiri Forest? And where is Kokiri Forest? "Once upon a time, in a small village in the southern forests of Hyrule, a young boy began having nightmares." Well, does that mean southern as in straight down from the center? Southern as in the general area to the south, including both southeast and southwest? Who's to say?

The games are created as if they're putting an old, real-life legend into playable form. The developers know this, they know the nature of a legends, it's limitations and creative advantages, and so they don't feel bound making everything perfectly match up. They're piecing together a world from vague, subjectively-interpreted references in a story, like, 'after that, he went north,' or 'it was to the south,' etc.

Also, the Lost Woods and Kokiri Forest (the Sacred Grove and Forest Temple respectively) aren't in the south; they're in the west. Which is actually crazier than east to south. But, if this were a directionally vague legend, as legends are, who's to say a south couldn't be taken as a southeast or southwest, depending on how you look at it?

TFO said:
Technically Phantom Hourglass didn't follow that long after Wind Waker. It was less than 10 years to say the least.
It acutally happened pretty much right after WW. But this point is moot, as WW Link and PH Link are the same Link, it's more than confirmed.

And we're taking the Twilight Princess timeline discussion to the timeline thread, since you felt like you had to say it there. This post is already cluttery enough.

Ugh, one whole 10 point font page in word and I'm not even to Gale yet D:

Gale said:
You know, Claus, you'd think we'd be like best buddies if it weren't for all this debating. Oh well, it's fun.
It is most certainly not fun to me D: But I try not to judge people by what they like, so we can still be best buddies :>

Anyhow, you state your opinion well about e-sports. I have nothing to say. And I still agree that motion control isn't the main future of gaming. However, I still believe that they have a future. I believe that later on, instead of trying to take the main spotlight, they'll take their place as, for some games, a user-choice alternate way to play, and for other games, improvements that will stay, improvements that will fully utilize motion to it's potential (coughSkywardSwordcough), and be done without gimmick. But this will just be for some games, of course. Motion'll probably never touch most games, and it probably never should. Zelda is really the only one that comes to mind that seems to be capable of utilizing motion to great potential, though I'm sure there are a few more games/franchises that could do it. Just not nearly all.

So! I think we're pretty happy happy with each other on that point now :>

Maybe teenagers and some adults buy Nintendo's games, but they are FOR KIDS.
That's not necessarily true. While some franchises like Pokemon (even though it's not made directly by Nintendo) are directed specifically at kids, others aren't. Instead, they're made to be accessable to everyone, and this includes kids. Miyamoto has said countless times how he wishes for all kinds of people to enjoy his games, not just kids, not just adults, not just teens, but everyone. He wants to make games that anyone of any age group can have a great time playing.

But you know how the saying goes - 'you can only run as fast as your slowest person.' Or something like that. In this case, the non-literal 'slowest person' would be the kids. The people who it would be best not to expose to excessive realistic violence, lewd material, etc. So in making games accesable to everyone, this must be taken into account. I mean it's not like they want to make a game with mature content and feel hindered because they can't; they just know that such content has no place in an accessable-to-everyone game.

Just to get it out of the way, I'm not in any way bashing games that include such material or companies that do. Whoever likes them, that's up to him/her, and more power to them.

People can enjoy a Nintendo game, people can enjoy a Microsoft game, people can enjoy whatever they want. But it comes to a point where it just gets annoying, and where it's difficult to not debate with someone over the quality of a certain video game/company.
So you're saying that it gets annoying after a while to hear people enjoying something you don't like, therefore you feel the need to explain to them that what they like really isn't good, implying that they don't know what a truly good, 'quality' game is and that you do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds pretty elitist.

I'm not trying to judge or criticize you or anything; like I said, I've been guilty of doing just what I described above before.

Gale said:
I played NSMBW. I can't bash Nintendo without playing the majority of its games. I'm not a jerk like most people who do that.
And that's what I admire about you. You're a pretty unique debater, when it comes to this kinda thing :>

And sorry about a bit rude about NSMBW and Galaxy 2 earlier. Sitting on the computer and debating all day is not good for the happiness, I'm afraid. Fortunately, dinner is, and I'm feeling better now :> I try not to let my initial irritation plague my posting, but it does sometimes :<

Gale said:
Skyward Sword, so far, is just about swinging the sword and blocking, no matter how complicated you try to make it seem.
Well, on the most basic level, yes. But that's akin to saying Pokemon is just about training monsters and making them attack other monsters in battle. While that's true on the most basic, fundamental level, it's much more complex than that, as we know.

It truly is more complicated than that. It's not just mindless swinging; it's swinging with purpose, with thought and strategy in mind. The Deku Baba example is a good one, but it's basic. They've said that pretty much whole game will be like this, cleverly using motion plus in more creative ways than just hacking in order to defeat enemies, solve certain puzzles, etc. Granted, we've yet to see just how exactly it will be used for other things, but that's something that we'll just have to wait and see.

Gale said:
Just because a game is innovative does not make it good.
Zelda has always been about innovation, I'm not denying that. Just because a game is innovative does not make it good (Phantom Hourglass).
Acutally I'm of the opinion that PH is one of the least innovative games in the series. The art style was already done, as well as the ocean-boat-travel-over-a-series-of-islands concept. Really the only innovation was touch screen control, which were great (later to be perfected in Spirit Tracks).

And it's true that innovation doesn't mean a good game. It does strongly indicate that they actually care about the game, however. Otherwise they'd just keep rehashing pretty much the same thing with the same concept for the quick cash. We'll just have to see how this specific innovation turns out in the long run of the game.

Gah, every one of our arguments ends the same - 'we'll just have to wait and see' D:

Gale said:
It's my personal opinion that motion controls are the wrong way to push this game into the future.
You see Gale, I feel like you're saying this because you've had bad experiences with motion control in the past. All you've seen is gimmick this, gimmick that, and you don't want that for Zelda. Even though you said you don't think SS is full of gimmicks, the main reason you don't like motion control is because of gimmicks, and if this is true, not liking SS because of motion control boils down to your dislike of gimmicky motion control.

My entire point in this debate is that Skyward Sword is looking to be differernt. It's looking to introduce motion as a genuine, valid way to play a game, at least this game. Not every game, just this one. Zelda, one of the most tried-and-true franchises in gaming, has not had a fair chance to try motion control. So I say give Skyward Sword a go. See what it does for you. Go into it with an open mind, with no premature opinions based on what you've seen in the past of motion control. If it turns out to be not so great, then, if even Zelda can't do it right, who can? But you just might be surprised.

Gale said:
Like I said, it's my opinion that yarn is stupid. It's also a pretty big deal that the entire concept of the game rubs me the wrong way.
Well it's a big deal on whether you buy the game or not. But you can't say your personal taste for the concept is a big deal on whether the game itself is a good game or not.

Okay, we need to wrap this up pretty soon. Unless someone (like maybe c-m) wants to come in and take my place, because I'm having to leave after Monday for almost a week, and won't have access to the Internet (ohdearsweetheavensthankyou). This debate seems pretty close to being done anyway, I guess.

Spending all day online typing post after ridiculously long post is not good for me at all, but I guess that's my problem :<

I'm suprised that no one has laid one point down for MGS:peace Walker.Oh well.

Agh! I have no time to respond to you right now, Claus, but I'll edit this post/post again tomorrow or something.

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker was an awesome game. /on-topic.

Obviously Claus you can't see anything but your point of view so I won't bother responding.

Bulbasaur45S said:
Im surpised COD:Black ops isnt on there =p

That's because CoD isn't really a good game. There are plenty of other shooters that are coming out soon (Conduit 2 and Goldeneye for Wii, Reach for 360) that blow it out of the water. Plus if you play it on the Wii that's just silly.

If you didn't vote Halo: Reach, you fail at life. It will be game of the year, and it was decided to be the most anticipated game of the year, like on 10 different official sites, ex: IGN.com

Halo wins. GG.

The Assassin said:
If you didn't vote Halo: Reach, you fail at life. It will be game of the year, and it was decided to be the most anticipated game of the year, like on 10 different official sites, ex: IGN.com

Halo wins. GG.

Now, Blake, don't be bringing your fanboyism for Halo in here and provoke the nintendo fanboys here. :p

The Assassin said:

Halo wins. GG.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1106175p5.html

Fallout wins. GG.

It is most certainly not fun to me D: But I try not to judge people by what they like, so we can still be best buddies :>

Anyhow, you state your opinion well about e-sports. I have nothing to say. And I still agree that motion control isn't the main future of gaming. However, I still believe that they have a future. I believe that later on, instead of trying to take the main spotlight, they'll take their place as, for some games, a user-choice alternate way to play, and for other games, improvements that will stay, improvements that will fully utilize motion to it's potential (coughSkywardSwordcough), and be done without gimmick. But this will just be for some games, of course. Motion'll probably never touch most games, and it probably never should. Zelda is really the only one that comes to mind that seems to be capable of utilizing motion to great potential, though I'm sure there are a few more games/franchises that could do it. Just not nearly all.

So! I think we're pretty happy happy with each other on that point now :>

I think shooters are the only games that could benefit from motion controls. Games like Call of Duty obviously aren't meant for it because they were first made on PC/Xbox, but games like The Conduit really use motion controls to their advantage and do it pretty well. I just don't like the concept of Zelda + motion controls.

That's not necessarily true. While some franchises like Pokemon (even though it's not made directly by Nintendo) are directed specifically at kids, others aren't. Instead, they're made to be accessable to everyone, and this includes kids. Miyamoto has said countless times how he wishes for all kinds of people to enjoy his games, not just kids, not just adults, not just teens, but everyone. He wants to make games that anyone of any age group can have a great time playing.

But you know how the saying goes - 'you can only run as fast as your slowest person.' Or something like that. In this case, the non-literal 'slowest person' would be the kids. The people who it would be best not to expose to excessive realistic violence, lewd material, etc. So in making games accesable to everyone, this must be taken into account. I mean it's not like they want to make a game with mature content and feel hindered because they can't; they just know that such content has no place in an accessable-to-everyone game.

Just to get it out of the way, I'm not in any way bashing games that include such material or companies that do. Whoever likes them, that's up to him/her, and more power to them.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is hard. There are some parts that are legitimately challenging and I don't see how a kid could possibly figure them out. Still, it's Mario, it's a playful title, parents will like it and so will their kids. Maybe it's unintentional but kids seem to buy these games more than adults. The Wii and the DS are targeted towards the younger audience, even if some adults play them.

So you're saying that it gets annoying after a while to hear people enjoying something you don't like, therefore you feel the need to explain to them that what they like really isn't good, implying that they don't know what a truly good, 'quality' game is and that you do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds pretty elitist.

I'm not trying to judge or criticize you or anything; like I said, I've been guilty of doing just what I described above before.

Not entirely. I don't mind if people like Nintendo, but if fanboyism is brought into the conversation then that's when I feel the need to step in and state my opinion why I think Nintendo is bad. It's not like I KNOW Nintendo is bad and I KNOW PC gaming is better than console gaming. I just think that way.

And that's what I admire about you. You're a pretty unique debater, when it comes to this kinda thing :>

And sorry about a bit rude about NSMBW and Galaxy 2 earlier. Sitting on the computer and debating all day is not good for the happiness, I'm afraid. Fortunately, dinner is, and I'm feeling better now :> I try not to let my initial irritation plague my posting, but it does sometimes :<

All good. I've been more than rude to you and others in this thread.

Well, on the most basic level, yes. But that's akin to saying Pokemon is just about training monsters and making them attack other monsters in battle. While that's true on the most basic, fundamental level, it's much more complex than that, as we know.

It truly is more complicated than that. It's not just mindless swinging; it's swinging with purpose, with thought and strategy in mind. The Deku Baba example is a good one, but it's basic. They've said that pretty much whole game will be like this, cleverly using motion plus in more creative ways than just hacking in order to defeat enemies, solve certain puzzles, etc. Granted, we've yet to see just how exactly it will be used for other things, but that's something that we'll just have to wait and see.

Wait and see, yup. It is too early to tell, and call this a premature judgment, but I think that because this game uses motion controls it's going to be bad. There are other Wii games that revolve around motion controls only, and to me, whenever I watched someone play them, it just looked like they were randomly flailing their arms around. The demo at E3 sure didn't make SS seem any more appealing. :)P)

Acutally I'm of the opinion that PH is one of the least innovative games in the series. The art style was already done, as well as the ocean-boat-travel-over-a-series-of-islands concept. Really the only innovation was touch screen control, which were great (later to be perfected in Spirit Tracks).

And it's true that innovation doesn't mean a good game. It does strongly indicate that they actually care about the game, however. Otherwise they'd just keep rehashing pretty much the same thing with the same concept for the quick cash. We'll just have to see how this specific innovation turns out in the long run of the game.

Gah, every one of our arguments ends the same - 'we'll just have to wait and see' D:

I suppose. I don't think the concept with Kirby's Epic Yarn will sell well with the older audience, I don't think Goldeneye will sell well with the younger audience, I don't think Epic Mickey will sell at all (I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't like that game). For those games, it isn't really for motion controls, it's just the concept that I'm not interested in. Same with Skyward Sword and how this goes back to the timeline. No Ganon means I'm not too interested in it. Majora's Mask was my least favorite 3D Zelda game, not only for that reason but for a few others.

You see Gale, I feel like you're saying this because you've had bad experiences with motion control in the past. All you've seen is gimmick this, gimmick that, and you don't want that for Zelda. Even though you said you don't think SS is full of gimmicks, the main reason you don't like motion control is because of gimmicks, and if this is true, not liking SS because of motion control boils down to your dislike of gimmicky motion control.

My entire point in this debate is that Skyward Sword is looking to be differernt. It's looking to introduce motion as a genuine, valid way to play a game, at least this game. Not every game, just this one. Zelda, one of the most tried-and-true franchises in gaming, has not had a fair chance to try motion control. So I say give Skyward Sword a go. See what it does for you. Go into it with an open mind, with no premature opinions based on what you've seen in the past of motion control. If it turns out to be not so great, then, if even Zelda can't do it right, who can? But you just might be surprised.

That's pretty much true. Every game that uses motion control (at least up to this point) uses it for gimmick. Like I said, I might give Zelda one more try, just like with Sonic, but I can't say I'll be going into the game expecting much.

Well it's a big deal on whether you buy the game or not. But you can't say your personal taste for the concept is a big deal on whether the game itself is a good game or not.

Okay, we need to wrap this up pretty soon. Unless someone (like maybe c-m) wants to come in and take my place, because I'm having to leave after Monday for almost a week, and won't have access to the Internet (ohdearsweetheavensthankyou). This debate seems pretty close to being done anyway, I guess.

Spending all day online typing post after ridiculously long post is not good for me at all, but I guess that's my problem :<

Well, like I said, I'm not trying to TELL you to not buy the game because it's a dumb concept. I just think it's a dumb concept.

Always good debating with you, Claus. Have fun on vacation.

The Fallen One said:
For your list being mostly Wii and 3DS games, I'm surprised you forgot Conduit 2.

Just saying.

I know.I should have created more names for the list.Next time i'll do a better job at that mmk.

The Fallen One said:
That's because CoD isn't really a good game. There are plenty of other shooters that are coming out soon (Conduit 2 and Goldeneye for Wii, Reach for 360) that blow it out of the water. Plus if you play it on the Wii that's just silly.

COD is one of the best shooters around! Any shooter for the wii is an automatic upset. I was absolutely amazed when I heard that Goldeneye for the wii was coming out and then I remembered it was for the wii...my spirits just fell and I stopped caring about it. I have stopped playing my wii altogether now that I think about it. Halo reach is on the scales, until I see game play (and maybe I should before I post this) it's in the middle. The Halo series is mediocre at best.
*Hides from fan-boys

Delta said:
COD is one of the best shooters around! Any shooter for the wii is an automatic upset. I was absolutely amazed when I heard that Goldeneye for the wii was coming out and then I remembered it was for the wii...my spirits just fell and I stopped caring about it. I have stopped playing my wii altogether now that I think about it. Halo reach is on the scales, until I see game play (and maybe I should before I post this) it's in the middle. The Halo series is mediocre at best.
*Hides from fan-boys

CoD is a series full of mediocre shooters that somehow stays afloat. Goldeneye is also a shooter that I don't see being any good, it's just going to sell a lot because of its name. Right now it looks like it's just a port from the N64 to the Wii, nothing new or special. Even the graphics look like something off of the N64.

Halo is a game series that I enjoy. It might not be the best, but I certainly have fun playing it and that counts for something in my book.

You left CoD : Black Ops off the poll, even though it's won Game Of The Year everytime?

The way Treyarch have set-out to beat Infinity Ward everytime sets this game into motion. Treyarch have always been the more caring of the two companies with them actually listening to the CoD community. It's been confirmed that the amount of pre-orders for Black Ops have already exceeded Modern Warfare 2's. MW2 was the most anticipated game for years, so this says a-lot about Black Ops.

None of the games in the poll are really interesting, Assassins Creed, Mario Kart 3DS and Halo Reach are good games. But no way will they stand a chance against CoD : Black Ops, in the awards or sales department.

Meh. Black Ops is going to be awesome, but I don't think it'll get game of the year. I still say that goes to Starcraft 2. We've been waiting for 12 years for a sequel to the original Starcraft, we finally get one, and it blows up in sales. There are like, 10 games that have come out this year that I believe deserve game of the year because they're original, like Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, and more to come like Vanquish.

The Fallen One said:
Obviously Claus you can't see anything but your point of view so I won't bother responding.

Really, TFO? What makes it so silly to play on the Wii? And apparently, CoD is a good game. As posted by many before me, it has a positive outlook towards it. And I'm nt even a CoD fan.

TheFudgehogGuy said:
Really, TFO? What makes it so silly to play on the Wii? And apparently, CoD is a good game. As posted by many before me, it has a positive outlook towards it. And I'm nt even a CoD fan.

Because everybody knows that the only decent port on the Wii was Twilight Princess. The only FPS game you should play on the Wii is something that was made for the Wii IMO.

What made CoD 5 different? The 360 version was a port of the PS3, which in turn was a port of the Wii, ad that was a port of the 360. It was made for all home consoles, not a port from the past. Oh, and you're forgetting Pikmin, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat and Mario Power Tennis were all good ports.

Back