Monster Hunter

Blah

DBT
Does anyone else here play? I just got the new one, and it's my first MH game, so I'm trudging through it while trying to figure out all the strategy.

It'd be awesome to play with some people online at some point, or discuss game strategy/tactics in general. Just remember to put things in spoiler tags if you're talking about monsters that aren't very close to the beginning of the game (and you can mention the star rank of the quest above the spoiler so people know what spoilers to look at and not look at).

700+ hours, ask me anything
Except how to be good, I don't have any experience in that area

I've been going through the Village(Caravan) quests mostly. Marathoned Low Rank Guild Hall with my brother over the game's first weekend, but then dropped out of there to further single player. There's a few monsters and (VERY IMPORTANT) items you can only fight/obtain through single-player, so I definitely suggest everyone goes through it.

On the comment of trudging through, what weapon are you using? I'm biased, but personally the Hammer is the one weapon I suggest every new player tries. It's simple when you start, it's simple later on: Super Charge heads, and Triple Swing when it's safe. But the best part? You do improve, and advanced Hammer play is definitely a thing! Watching some better people use the Hammer compared to me, it's like a completely different weapon. They put every aspect of it to use.

If that's not up your alley, I've heard a lot of suggestions for the Lance, and the Long Sword is commonly used by new players as well. Great Sword follows suit as another common one (less so in this game). Also, apparently you don't use the Sword and Shield as a new player. Or a veteran player. Basically, you don't use Sword and Shield unless you know what the * you're doing. It has to do with damage calculations, elemental damage, armor skills and lots of other stuff I personally don't care to wade through any time soon.

I'll abide by the spoilers, but there's not much you can spoil with Monster Hunter, thankfully. Even with all the new additions, 80% of the monsters here have been in a previous game in some form or another. There's two Monster names I wouldn't look up online, though, just to keep the awe of seeing them for the first time: Dalamadur (and its subspecies, Shah Dalamadur), and Gogmazios. I know what they look like, and have heard small snippets of their themes. But I'm staying blind to keep everything else about them as new as possible.

The reason why I noted the spoiler thing is that I'm trying to approach the game entirely blind--since I've never played a MH game before, I want to be entirely surprised when I see a certain monster as to what it is and what it looks like. That being said, since every post is going to be a spoiler otherwise, I suppose it's fine as long as it doesn't have a pic of the monster and doesn't reveal everything about it.

I'm using the Charge Blade for now--and I said trudging mostly because I haven't put enough time into it lol. I'm getting used to the weapon quickly, although I need to get way more proficient at knowing when to switch to Axe form--I always seem to have extra phials even when I'm keeping my shield charged. I'll try getting good at a few other weapons at some point once I get more used to the game (probably will try Lance which I've heard is good, or Gunlance because it's a Gunlance lol).

So quick question based on where I'm at: how the heck are you supposed to fight the Gravios properly? I beat it fairly easily but it took me FOREVER because 90% of my attacks bounced off. Idk if I'm doing it wrong or if Gravios is just really hard to hit (seemed like his stomach/back of his legs were vulnerable, but you can't stand under his stomach too long because then he spouts sleep gas or fire gas). I ended up doing most of my damage through mounting and getting A.E.D's off when he fell over. Probably not going to farm the thing but I'm curious if there's any better way to fight it.

However, I DO want to farm the Gore Magela and after beating it once fairly quickly, I really struggled the next time, showing that I haven't really adapted to it yet. Any tips? He moves around so fast that I can't seem to get good combos in and I keep getting driven into a corner and then absolutely destroyed. I also can't hit his head for impact damage because it's so tiny and I don't want to get wrecked by the frenzy balls.

Edit: Also, how does impact damage work? I use impact phials, so when I activate a burst that does impact damage, is the damage only applied when I hit the monster's head? If I don't hit the head, does it still do damage, just not damage that has the potential to stun? Or is the damage completely negated if I miss the head?

GRAVIOS IS THE DUMBEST THING EVER
You want tips on Gravios? Get armor with Minds Eye (prevents bouncing) or make a Water Bowgun. You can sit there and mount him repeatedly in order to break his stomach, but it's not even worth the frustration of Bounceville in getting to that point. I'm sure you also notice the issue in the solutions -- you're going out of your way entirely just to make a fight less boring. Not easier, he's already an easy fight. He's just stupid and stalls.

Seriously. * Gravios. Can't believe they brought him back out of Freedom Unite.

Gore's the definition of no plan, just fight. Combos aren't easy due to his jumpiness, so just hit a few times and move on to wherever he's at now.

Most of his attacks come out from the front, so you generally want to stay to his sides or even behind him, wailing the whole time. Not much else to say on him, you won't even have to worry about frenzy because you should be able to break it pretty quickly.

You've seen what happens when he gets in a corner, so be careful and lead him into larger fields. This goes for all monsters, but especially the quicker ones that can jump your escape. If worse comes to worst and you seem to be in an infinite combo, don't press any buttons and allow your character to pick himself up. This is because you're invulnerable while on the ground, and pressing buttons or moving the circle pad will hasten your get-up.

Lastly, do not mount him until he goes into his Frenzied mode (The second Rage mode where the sky darkens). The only way to break him out of it is by dealing enough damage or breaking his horns. The easiest way to hit heads? The downtime from mounting. Having an easy mount due to a low tolerance meter will hasten the break.

As for Impact Phials, I've heard that it's not worth using them. I gather it's a lot like what you're thinking; no additional damage is caused and "impact" with Charge Blade just means you'll drain the monster's stamina. If there is it's not enough to be worth using over the other option. Elemental Phials are better due to the fact they work everywhere, add more damage (for sure), and can hit for monster's elemental weaknesses.

Doesn't mean you have to switch your weapon out, but it does seem outclassed. I love the guaranteed KO from an Ultra Burst, so Impact works just fine with me.

I just tried the downloadable Akantor quest necessary for the Zelda Crossover costumes. It lasted for 49 minutes and 55 seconds... I Abandoned because I used way too many supplies in the battle. Way too tanky for one guy. He hits like a truck, so I really don't want to try my luck with randoms online. =/

So quick question about the guaranteed stun thing--I NEVER seem to stun monsters. Like, hit on the head with multiple A.E.D's, hit with the Ultra, nothing ever works. They always just fall over instead of getting the stars around their head. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Did a little research on the Charge Blade, apparently Impact Phials are actually super good once you get good at guard points. If you can pull off a lot of them in a row you get free stuns on monsters which is amazing. Now I just need to get good at using guard points -.-

Double edit: Now I seem to stun all the time. I think my weapon was just weak lol.

Oh man, I was actually just looking over here if there was a Monster Hunter thread or not. This is my first MH game too - demo is a fantastic way to get into the series (though they hold your hand a lot).

So, any advice for someone using Dual Blades or Great Sword? Those are my two weapons of choice, and I'm thinking of delving into the lands of Heavy Bowgun/Bow soon (since my character is a reference to Tales of Vesperia, if you've played you know who).

I'd recommend watching Gaijin Hunter's tutorials on Youtube for the weapons you want to use--they're super helpful in teaching you the nuance of each and all the cool tricks that you might not learn about from just playing through the game yourself.

All of my friends use Great Sword, I think basically the idea is to use the draw charge attack, evade, sheathe, and repeat. Obviously when you have a bigger opening you can use a combo, the best one of which is the charge attack --> little jab thing after charge attack --> more powerful charge attack --> super swipe. The super swipe after the second charge attack is equal to a level 2 charge on the first charge attack, which is crazy powerful. Again, I'd watch Gaijin's video which explains a lot more.

I mostly use either Greatsword or Bowgun, but I've been meaning to pick up the Insect Glaive or Switch Axe because they look fun and interesting. Once I get my internet fixed up I'd love to hunt with you guys sometime, although I haven't had as much time as I'd like to play so I'm not anywhere near endgame yet.

I think that's the biggest issue online--the game is so vast that one person could be drastically more powerful than someone else and just carry every fight. I played with a friend who was way farther on me to sweep through the first two online ranks and my armor and weapon were pretty overpowered for single player.

I'm HR3 right now, anyone else? I haven't been playing that much so I'm probably behind most of you.

Blah said:
I think that's the biggest issue online--the game is so vast that one person could be drastically more powerful than someone else and just carry every fight. I played with a friend who was way farther on me to sweep through the first two online ranks and my armor and weapon were pretty overpowered for single player.

I'm HR3 right now, anyone else? I haven't been playing that much so I'm probably behind most of you.

I'm only HR4, I think I'm about to hit 5 though. To be perfectly honest I haven't really switched my armor up much, but my weapons have changed a bit.

I wear a tailor made Clown Suit that gives me Attack Up Large. Could be XL, but why would I do that when my hunter doesn't look fashionable with it?

I just downloaded MonHun 3 from the European winter promotion (aka I got it for free) and now I feel super left behind because everyone has moved to 4. OTL

I have never played MonHun before and I haven't tried this 3 yet (too much stuff to do). Hopefully some friends will be willing to still play 3. lol

Just finished up Low Rank for single player. (low rank ending spoilers below)

Shagaru Magala was REALLY hard the first time I fought it. It's the only monster besides Gore that I actually fainted on, and it took me forever to actually kill. I've been farming and it's a lot easier now that I know the patterns, but the random frenzy explosions can absolutely demolish you if they show up in the wrong spot. I got wombo combo'd from almost full health to death by getting bounced back and forth between explosions and Shagaru.

Still need to kill it a few more times though--I need that damn plate for my weapon upgrade and I think it's like a 2% or 3% chance.

I loved the music and setting for that fight. It's basically just a glorified
Gore Magala
with some extra damage and a few different moves, but they did it really well. 9/10, would experience for first time with earphones on full blast again.

Finally got the Charge Blade combos down, it's definitely gonna be my go-to weapon from here on out.

Everyone hop on the CB bandwagon

Just farmed
Shagaru
19 TIMES to get the stuff I needed for its armor set and my weapon. Why do plates have to be so hard to get ;-;

Well, I've been mastering the Bowguns mostly because my friends needs a good gunner which happens to be me a lot of the time. I'm only at the second village compared to the others but we're getting there.

Bowguns (and the bow to some degree) does require a lot more finesse given how the monsters tend to be taunted quickly by a couple of rounds in their head/frills/jaws...

I tried out guns/bow--hated them all. It's probably just a playstyle thing (and the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing with them), but they feel too slow to me and I hate having to constantly reload in the middle of combat.

Same could be said with the great weapons really. I find the swing needs precision or you'll whiff the attack and waste stamina.

For bowguns and the bow, you need to allow your friends to attack first. That's the key. If you start attacking, you'll only end up drawing aggro on yourself. For the single play, what I usually do is get the scope on all my guns. This allows me to still attack at a fair distance before the monster realises it. After they aggro, then it's usually time to run and find a place to heal/reload then repeating the above. Also, you can actually disengage the first-person view by dodging and then pressing Y to get away faster. :)

I actually went through the entirety of MH3's single player with the Heavy Bowgun; a challenge to be sure, but it made it that much easier for me to know how ranged weapons work in multiplayer situations.

I've been wanting to try out the Bows in 4, but after finishing the tutorial, the damage just seems pitiful, even with coatings.

Edit: And, uh, you guys definitely need to add me because I have almost nobody to play 4 with, lol.

Back