• Minnesota Twins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cincinnati Reds

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ashinto

Aspiring Trainer
Surprisingly there wasn't an MLB thread here, so I'm making one.

This is a DISCUSSION thread where we can [strike]argue[/strike]talk about what's happening duirng spring training/regular season along with some rumors. Not a place where you can troll-brag your fave team and flame others.

Now, let me start the conversation with a nice topic: Michael Young just reported to Ranger's camp. Is he going to stay there? What team makes the most sense for him to go to? How will the situation affect the team?

Discuss.

Project696

Did you know I'm riding a horse?
I don't know much about whats going on with the MLB spring training yet. Only thing I do know is the Indians are looking into, or already have signed Bartolo Colone to a deal. As a tribe fan, I remember back in the day where bartolo was throwing 100mph fast balls, now with him being a seasoned veteran, i don't know what to make of this. I'm afraid this plan will back fire. But looking back at the indians pull pen and starting rotation last year, changed do definately need to be made.

ashinto

Aspiring Trainer
The Yanks have already signed Colon to a minor league deal buddy, he's going to be competing for a starting spot. As for the Indians, you're going to need a "Padres" like season IMO, because that division is one of the tightest divisions in baseball along with the NL central.

Project696

The division ain't so much good, as it is screwed up. Typically any team in it can go on a big run and make the playoffs as there is no dominant team year after year. I'm pretty sure the Indians can pull off some nice trades with Mike Hargrove being an assistant now. Only thing the team really needs to do is though, have Dolan sell it to someone who is willing to invest money into it like the Jacob brother did. That might be the only reason why the Indians fail to achieve what they have done in the 90's. Would Dolan invest money, we'd still have C.C., Cliff Lee, Victor Martinez, and quite a few other notables. Even though I can't complain all too much for what we got out of C.C. in Matt LaPorta, kid is pure talent. He'll be a star in a year or two.

blargh257

IT'S BEEN THREE THOUSAND YEARS
my giants are back with a healthy(er) panda. i hope they repeat but i doubt it. tejeda should help some.

ashinto

Aspiring Trainer
The Giants are coming back with Kung Fun Panda, but my big thing is that Colorado seems like a strong team. TuLo and CarGo are both All-Stars and will be up there for MVP votings alond with Dexter Fowler being expected to have a nice production year. I have a feeling that the Rockies are going to take out the Giants just like the Giants took out the Padres.

And Project, the AL Central is a great division. The twins, white sox (who are the favorites by only a hair), and the tigers are all very good teams, and I just don't see the Indians taking them. You do make a point with the way the team is ran though, they gotta keep there young guys (though I think in the long run Santana is going to be better than V-Mart). Though without trading, my phils would've never made it to the 2009 world series (Lee carried the staff on his back and Fransisco made one of the best catches I've ever seen to help them clinch the division series).

Project696

Heres the difference in the Phillies trading compared to the Indians trading however. The phillies are trading for stars, I mean look at their pitching rotation this year! As per the Indians, they trade stars away to get prospects. While back in the 90's this method worked wonders as they had Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, and a few other big names come up through their farm system, it doesn't work for them anymore. I think that last big prospects we had received were from trading Bartolo Colon to the Montreal Expos (not the Washington Nationals) for Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore and Brandon Phillips. The most irritating part there was we got rid of Phillips before he came out of the farm system and now he's a star down in Cinci.

Also an irritating part of the C.C. trade a few years back, we were just in the ALCS. We make it maybe 3/8's of the way through the season and are bombing horribly. Instead of thinking about a 2nd half comeback, we just say, "Ok, we're giving up and trading away our Ace." Same thing with the following year in trading Cliff Lee. While with All 3 star trades (Cliff, C.C, V-Mart) they were on the last years of their contracts, I'm more than confident they would have been willing to resign as a somewhat decent price had we won the series. Not too sure with C.C. considering the money NY was throwing at him. Which in another round about way makes me respect Cliff Lee even more then ever. We finally had a star player pretty much say...hmmm. Trying to think of a way to say it without getting in trouble....He pretty much told the Yankees "'Blank' You". I'm pretty sure you can fill in the blank with plenty of options. So nice to see the Yankees not get what they wanted for once.

And another round about....Thats another reason why Baseball might be my least favorite sport. The rules on the clubs and rosters are almost non-existent. Its essentially if you have the money, spend the money. Which is why the Yankees can buy the best team year in and year out. With all the post season appearances and extra income from those, they have unlimited funds. While in most sports theres something known as a Cap. Where they can only spend X amount of money each year in player salaries.I believe that starting a Salary Cap in baseball would really even out the playing field where there really would be no dominant team anymore.

And on a final topic before I go overboard lol, if you guys were to build your own fantasy team, taking in players from any era you really feel like. What would your team look like, Just a starting team, getting into backup/bench players would make for a long list lol? Mine would be...

C - Sandy Alomar Jr (still by far best catcher I've ever seen.)
1B - Jim Thome
2B - Robby Alomar
SS - Omar Vizquel
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
OF - Grady Sizemore
OF - Kenny Loften
OF - Manny Ramirez
DH - Albert Belle

SP - Randy Johnson
SP - Tom Glavine
SP - John Smoltz
SP - Greg Maddux (Lets face it, when the 95' Braves had Glavine, Smoltz, and Maddux, they deserved to beat the Indians in the World Series lol)
SP - Stephen Strasburg (Even though he's been set back with Tommy John Surgery, I believe with his youth he can easily still live up to the hype)

You can easily see I grew up on the Indians, especially in the 90's lol

123wert50

Back.
Lol, yeah. Also the Rangers are kinda bad this season. My favorite team, the Mets are lucky. They go bowling as a team every week!

DarthPika

Team Hatter Jedi
I noticed there's no option for "anyone who's not the Yankees".

Sadly, my poor Orioles are doubtful to do anything close to being decent any time soon. :(

ashinto

Aspiring Trainer
Well, the season started today, and I have to say, while I'm happy that there is baseball, the games really aren't that good. The Reds vs. the Brewers was the only game I was really looking forward to watching seeing that they are division rivals and are also going to be the two probable teams in the NL Central fighting for a post season berth.

All teams play tomorrow, but I will not be able to watch the game I want to watch (phillies game is at 1, i get out at 1:45, get home about 20 min. later, though I then leave 40 min. to go to track....so I get to watch 40 min. of MLB network and hope for a highlight...)

The Nationals look decent defensively (especially on the right side) though pitching is going to kill them. Still picking them over the Mets seeing that Beltran, Reyes, and K-Rod will probably be gone by the trade deadline...

Psyphoon

Newbie Collector
It's opening day for my beloved Cubbies. Win or lose, I'm looking forward to another fun season.

ashinto

Aspiring Trainer
1. Rollins Singles
2. Howard Singles, Rollins to Second
3. Ibanez pops out
4. Rollins steals 3rd
5. Francisco singles, Rollins Scores
6. Chooch singles, bases loaded
7. Valdez singles, Howard Scores
8. John Mayberry Jr. walk-off single
9. One amazing opening day!!