Mixed Attacker Raichu

Metricus

Jukebox Hero
I'm just getting back into the competitive game with X/Y now that the battle process is more streamlined, and I've already got a decent team of what's sure to be top tier Pokemon, so not I'm trying to have some fun with less used Pokemon, namely Raichu.

Here's what I've got so far:

Raichu:

Ability: Static
Item: Life Orb / Zap Plate
Nature: Hasty / Naive
EVs: Atk:140 / SpA: 128 / Spd:252

- Volt Tackle
- Thunder Bolt
- Substitute
- Grass Knot / Focus Punch

I prefer Zap Plate over Life Orb because even though it gives him 10% less boost he already takes 30% recoil from Volt Tackle, and I prefer Hasty over Naive so as not to expose Raichu already low defense.

Even though this is an attacker set I've got Substitue in there to work with Raichu's static and keep him around longer. I originally had Thunder Wave as his last move before I remembered he had Static, so I'd like to here if you guys think Focus Punch or Grass Knot is better.

Grass Knot is going to be the better option because then it can do more against ground types since they tend to have high defense. It really doesn't have the stats though to support both physical and special attacks at the same time.

It seems a bit reductive to have 2 Electric moves - if I were you, I'd only use Thunderbolt, considering Raichu's defense is already terrible and recoil from Volt Tackle will make short work of it.
In terms of moves, I'd probably make it a fully special set and go something like:
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast
-Grass Knot
-Substitute/HP Ice/Nasty Plot

The first 3 moves provide coverage; the last slot is something of a toss-up.
Sub works as usual, if that's how you want to play it; HP Ice - whilst I've given the option, Hidden Power has been nerfed so it will only do 60 damage, so it's only gonna really hurt the 4x weak Dragons and all. Nasty Plot is a great boosting move, but since Raichu's defenses are awful it may take the hit on its set up turn and take a large denting or even get KO'd.

(Electivire is also a good Electric type that's rarely seen)

Back