• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Mix-Match Gengar deck

Jahikoi

Aspiring Trainer
The idea of this deck is to do all the good stuff from multiple different gengar decks at once. This deck utilizes spread, feinting spell, and partial trainer lock.

The basic outline of the deck list is:

4-3-3-1 (2 SF, 1 Triumphant, 1 Lv X (AR)) Gengar
2-1-2 Nidoqueen
2-1-2 Vileplume
2 Uxie
1 Azelf
1-1 Gallade 4 Lv X
2 Crobat G

4 Poketurn
2 Cyrus' Conspiracy
4 Bebe's search
3 Pokemon Collector
3 Pokemon Communication
4 rare candy

7 Psychic Energy
4 Rescue Energy
2 DCE

This is a basic structure; however, it needs to be trimmed. ATM this is approx 60 cards; but needs to be trimmed to make room for other cards like PONT, BTS, Seeker, Etc.

Any questions or statements? This is my first deck for pokemon in over like 7-8 years (other than World Championship Decks) but I know how to play the game well. I'm thinking of reducing the vileplume line to 1-0-1 as I play azelf anyway.

Rescue energy allows feinting spell to trigger, and then return to the hand.

Gallade and crobat are there for placing damage counters then getting poke turned (assuming vileplume is on the field - otherwise you can seeker it (vileplume))

You are going to trainer lock yourself. Just a suggestion, as you are playing Gallade 4, maybe do a spread deck with Solrock TR and Lunatone SV and without Nidoqueen and Vileplume. Therefore you can take out some Rescue. Add a cursegar. I know it is going to be total change but the between the two tactics, you are probably going to use one most often and the other is going to waste your space and disrupt yourself. You have already 28 pokemons, so...

If you really want to keep this deck, you can try to take out a haunter, a line of Nidoqueen and Vileplume. Since you have Rescue, why that much preevolutions. I don t knw but you should have a starter like Spiritomb AR.

I'm going to change vileplume to 1-1-1 I think; just because all I'm going to use him for is basically gyarados matchups and SP matchups. Nidoqueen is a card i'll probably aim to get out every time.

The reason I run so many rescue is Gengar SF; every time its knocked out, I get to fainting spell, then return it to my hand, then play it back down and use Level Down again (if they have level x's).

Are you suggesting I run 1 SF 1 AR 1 TR 1 AR(Lv.X)? I deliberately didnt want a cursegar because of its 3 attack cost, and nothing to really lock with on the bench.

You know , spread and Curse for cheap kill Uxies of stuff... Why do you put the TR one? It has nothing in the combo because you have nothing with lost zone. Maybe you can move some damage, AR cursegar can do that. Maybe you can explain your logic about this one.

Actually, having a vileplume can only counter SPs for 2 turns, Bright Look and Dragon Rush.

2 Gengar SF, since you return it back with Rescue.

I really like this deck because it has many techs and strategies but it needs to be improved.

How can you use your Rare Candies and all your trainers? You said Vileplume is an SPs Gyrados counter, so you have to use it in the beginning. If not, it is useless. So it enable yourself to use those preparing trainers. You can use Seeker (Hunter) to return it but, meh...

Triumphant Gengar allows me to place 4 damage counters on 4 of their pokemon - which you can then abuse Gengar X with, as well as to attach psychics to discard their level x's and stuff.

IF they choose to snipe Vileplume you can use that as an opportunity to kill of stuff. Or something. I checked seeker - it only picks up benched. I suppose you would need to use super scoop up!!! (thats a joke... trainer lock? yeah. anyways)

I suppose you could add warp energy but thats even more stuff which isn't needed. Perhaps take away the DCE? Mainly the DCE was to synergize with nidoqueen's attack (PCC) and gallades attack (PCC)...

For a DIFFERENT idea altogether... I just thought about it - use mew prime to move garchomp lv. x to the lost zone, and start restoring stage 2's from the discard (with no stage 1/basic of that pokemon in the deck)

don't run vileplume. use arceus spiritomb instead. This way you only trainer lock yourself for a short period of time, this will also help you get out those gengars.

First of all, Gengar TR put damage counter (4 only), but what Gallade is doing there? It is way better and you can directy spray, instead of bringing out 2 Gengars to make the Spread. I personally like the Lost Lv.X combo, but, meh...

Secondly, you are mostly doing a spray deck, why not use Solrock TR and take out Nidoqueen. Imagine you are VS Luxchomp (I know you can Gengar TR, but it is harder than that to beat a deck like Luxchomp), they will heal and Heal. What about another dude who uses Nidoqueen, Spread fails.

Mew Prime, na. It needs a totally different strategy.

I don't know if you were aware of this, but I counted all the cards in your deck list...there's 61 cards.

I'd take out:

-1 Pokemon Communication
-1 Bebe's Search
-1 Pokemon Collector

For:
+3 BTS

Just for evolution help. Also, try to find room for 3 Seeker. If you can, then keep Vileplume. Because Vileplume, Seeker, play your trainers, BTS, opponent trainer lock.

However, I like the idea of multiple Gengar strategies. Keep up the good work!

The one issue I have is that vileplume is very effective in stopping SP; however if I am under trainer lock, there is no way to return him to the bench (seeker cant target the active) except retreating; or warp energy; or wasting a DCE. (I'll re-check, but I think vileplume has a 2 energy retreat.)

What is a good way to get around the 'bright look' problem? Considering that I can't use trainers while it is active.

Back