Minor Notices & Staff Changes Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
RE: Minor Notices & Staff Changes (Latest Announcement: Post #60)

bacon said:
A recurring theme with casual threads is that the more members become familiar with them, the more likely members will bend the forum rules to their liking. And when moderators have to step in and correct that you get a sort of rebellion or conflict of ideals, which ruins the atmosphere and the thread doesn't recover. This is basically the same process which happened to the Chillax Zone and clans in general.

Casual threads with no specific purpose can be awesome. I think that the early days of YLYL and Chillax were among the best threads that PokeBeach has ever had. But you can't hang on to them, and you can't try to make them your own. If they stick around for too long, they will inevitably fail.

bacon is right again.

The Chillax Zone died, when the haiku binge started.

Shining Raikou

Your friendly neighborhood Raikou fan!
Elite Member
Advanced Member

bacon speaks wise words. I completely agree.

Although, if someone is to make another casual type discussion thread, someone who is a respected member and doesn't run into trouble on the forums is preferred. Starting this a casual thread like Chillax or YLYL is a sort of a privilege. For now though, I think we should take a little break from having this type of thread around.

Also, you guys with the goofy Mirman banners... LOL yeah... right.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member

[smod]Vulpix Yolk[/smod] has been chosen as a new TCG Head. Please take all congrats to PM and profile comments.

Shining Raikou

Elite Member
Advanced Member
RE: Minor Notices & Staff Changes (Latest Announcement: Post #83)

[smod]Nigel[/smod] has been appointed as Co-Head of the TCG section. Please offer him your congrats via PM or profile comments!

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member

...Don't you think you might be rushing things a bit making Nigel pink that quickly? He's barely settled into modship and you're making him pink already? That seems rather hasty.

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member

Says the guy with a banner promoting the guy who's been modded, demodded, banned, unbanned, and promoted more times than I can count on my fingers.

I'm sure he's capable of handling the adjustment.

DNA

Advanced Member

And where did I ever say Nigel wasn't capable? Besides, you have the same banner, so you have no license to be unduly harsh. That was totally uncalled for.

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
And where did I ever say Nigel wasn't capable?
It was implied that you were saying that. The only reason promoting Nigel would be rushing things is if he was not yet capable of handling the job. Why else would it be rushing things to promote him?
Besides, you have the same banner, so you have no license to be unduly harsh. That was totally uncalled for.
I'm not claiming that promoting Nigel was rushing things or a bad idea though. And I'd like a direct quote of which part of my post was harsh. :/

DNA

Advanced Member

You wanted a quote? Okay:
Says the guy with a banner promoting the guy who's been modded, demodded, banned, unbanned, and promoted more times than I can count on my fingers.
It's implied that you're casting doubt on my credibility just because of the banner I have. ...I'm a kettle and you look like a pot.

It was implied that you were saying that. The only reason promoting Nigel would be rushing things is if he was not yet capable of handling the job. Why else would it be rushing things to promote him?
We have one guy (you) step down, and then his spot gets filled with not one but two people? I surely cannot be the only one who sees red flags here.

I don't have a problem with VY stepping up; he's been in the job long enough to know what's what and what's expected, and he's been mod for...I want to say almost a year now but I don't remember the exact figure. Nigel's been green for only a few months and already he's pink why now? No offense to Nigel at all, but from a member's standpoint doesn't that seem outright ridiculous? (That, and from what I've seen, I don't think Nigel takes his job seriously enough yet. Bumping him up a step now at this point in time would certainly be premature.)

...It's no wonder I'm still skeptical of the system if people keep pulling shenanigans like this.

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member

You wanted a quote? Okay:
It's implied that you're casting doubt on my credibility just because of the banner I have. ...I'm a kettle and you look like a pot.
That's not what I was implying. Obviously I am aware of the banner in my signature, so if I was directly attacking you, I would indeed be the pot calling the kettle black in a very rude and derogatory way. However, I was simply saying how hypocritical it is to be claiming it was a bad decision to promote Nigel when you're suggesting a guy who's currently banned for being dishonest should be promoted to pink.
We have one guy (you) step down, and then his spot gets filled with not one but two people? I surely cannot be the only one who sees red flags here.
We actually had Gale step down months ago and he was never replaced. But regardless of this, when Glaceon was promoted, you complained that it was terrible how the staff positions were being treated like job openings where one person fills the last person's spot. Now you're complaining that that's not happening. Pick a side and stick to it, man!
I don't have a problem with VY stepping up; he's been in the job long enough to know what's what and what's expected, and he's been mod for...I want to say almost a year now but I don't remember the exact figure. Nigel's been green for only a few months and already he's pink why now? No offense to Nigel at all, but from a member's standpoint doesn't that seem outright ridiculous? (That, and from what I've seen, I don't think Nigel takes his job seriously enough yet. Bumping him up a step now at this point in time would certainly be premature.)

...It's no wonder I'm still skeptical of the system if people keep pulling shenanigans like this.
Vulpix Yolk was modded January 11th. Nigel was modded June 17th. That's five months' difference. Is that really a big deal?

I was modded October 28th and was Super Modded December 28th. That's two months of being a mod before I stepped up. About how much time Nigel has had, although he was a Contributor for awhile beforehand. So if you actually want to make the argument that a person's ability to be a good smod is directly measured by the amount of time they've been a mod, you're also taking a stab at me and the various other people who were promoted quickly.

Promotions, as they should be, are based off of who is best qualified for the position, not who has been around the longest.

Professor Palutena

The Queen

When dmaster stepped down, both Gale and Celebi ended up taking his spot. This is hardly any different.

Being a super mod is a big deal, especially the TCG smod because of the magnitude that is the TCG forum. Pretty much all of the TCG mods are rather young (VY is 15, Nigel is 13), so having two of them totally makes sense in my eyes. (I'm hoping this doesn't come across as "VY is only 15 so he needs help", because I don't think that).

I think they're both mature and can handle it. Just give them a chance. You're judging too fast.

Plato

betrayed by the game

I got modded a month after being here if that counts for anything

then again i was pretty awesome...

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member

Honestly all this banter about nigel should come _after_ he screws up. Until then why not just wait and see how things go?

Thank you for defending me, PMJ. I appreciate it. ~Nigel

DNA

Advanced Member

Promotions, as they should be, are based off of who is best qualified for the position, not who has been around the longest.
...I can't help but laugh at this, sadly. However, I'm also not surprised - Pokebeach has very few qualified people when it comes to the TCG.

That's not what I was implying. Obviously I am aware of the banner in my signature, so if I was directly attacking you, I would indeed be the pot calling the kettle black in a very rude and derogatory way. However, I was simply saying how hypocritical it is to be claiming it was a bad decision to promote Nigel when you're suggesting a guy who's currently banned for being dishonest should be promoted to pink.
It sounded like that was what you were implying, with the way it was coming off. But it wasn't, and so I apologize.
Also, do you seriously expect me to believe that Zero's going to be promoted up to pink? My thinking isn't that wishful.

Now you're complaining that that's not happening.
That's not what I'm complaining about. Read again.

Vulpix Yolk was modded January 11th. Nigel was modded June 17th. That's five months' difference. Is that really a big deal?
Why wouldn't it be? Do you honestly believe that the amount of time spent in a job is irrelevant to how long you get used to doing it? That isn't true in the slightest. And if today is August 5th and Nigel gets modded, that's just under 2 months. He got used to it in under 2 months? Either he's extremely capable or the position of moderator is just a really easy job. It sounds like the latter is correct.

I was modded October 28th and was Super Modded December 28th. That's two months of being a mod before I stepped up. About how much time Nigel has had, although he was a Contributor for awhile beforehand. So if you actually want to make the argument that a person's ability to be a good smod is directly measured by the amount of time they've been a mod, you're also taking a stab at me and the various other people who were promoted quickly.
I don't want to make this a personal attack on anybody, but if you want me to, then I will. I know you've been on my case for a while now and I have not been pleased with it whatsoever.

When dmaster stepped down, both Gale and Celebi ended up taking his spot. This is hardly any different.
They're multiplying!!

(I'm hoping this doesn't come across as "VY is only 15 so he needs help", because I don't think that).

I think they're both mature and can handle it. Just give them a chance. You're judging too fast.
I don't think it came across as a statement of VY needing help. I certainly didn't see it as such. But wait, if Celebi was TCG head, who was co-head? ...Or was he not even pink and was there just some giant delay in a promotion here, and this is actually what's going on?

You think I wouldn't give people a chance to step up and prove themselves? I thought you knew me well enough to know that isn't the case. I love giving everyone a chance to see how they do, but to give someone a chance when they're potentially ill-prepared is just asking for trouble. (I definitely wish Nigel well and I hope he does a good job. I just have some personal reservations that lead to me doubting if he can do what's required.)

In closing, I wish to say that I take no pleasure in doing this, but I do what I do because I see an issue that needs addressing. (Notice how I only comment when I think something's wrong? If I don't comment on it, it means I'm fine with it.)

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member

Well tbh, I don't understand half of that post and I don't think one person's opinion is going to get Nigel demodded. So I'm going to agree with PMJ and say that arguing with you is not the best use of my time right now.

Futa

Aspiring Trainer

Celebi23 said:

This, but used against you. What has Nigel done to deserve a promotion?

Back during my green days, I don't remember Nigel really doing anything as a Contributor (it's been like seven or eight months since so I might be wrong). During his mod days, the only thing worth mentioning is making a Tier List, which got bashed within the first few days and only had posts within two-ish weeks of it being posted.

Terms of skill, I don't know what to say. T16 at Nats is cute, but in Seniors and three or four years ago doesn't mean too much. And after the Tier List issue, it's hard to believe he's capable of Smodding.

Sorry, Nigel. I don't mean to hate on you, but reality is reality.

Professor Palutena

The Queen

You think I wouldn't give people a chance to step up and prove themselves? I thought you knew me well enough to know that isn't the case. I love giving everyone a chance to see how they do, but to give someone a chance when they're potentially ill-prepared is just asking for trouble. (I definitely wish Nigel well and I hope he does a good job. I just have some personal reservations that lead to me doubting if he can do what's required.)
DNA:
>says he is giving Nigel a chance
>says that Nigel isn't qualified for the job

Stop changing your opinion. Keep your comments to yourself and then make a fuss about it if he screws something up. You complaining right now isn't going to get you anywhere, other than gain you the reputation of a whiner.

Guts

CyberPhunk

It's not whining, it's voicing your opinion, which everyone is entitled to do. For example, I believe in Nigel fully and I'm sure he'll do a great job as an S-mod. And consider this if you think DNA is being harsh: what if about a month after I was modded, I was promoted to an S-mod? I can see why some people would be skeptical of the decision in that situation. :p

Just give Nigel the time and support he needs. And if he doesn't do well, so what? At least he was willing to try. I'm sure there are many other people qualified for the position as well, so there's no need to worry.

Nengeni

Aspiring Trainer

Let the guy screw up, then we can lodge a complaint with the manager.

Until that point, I fully support everyone here.

I won't screw up. I promise. </3 ~Nigel

Shining Raikou

Elite Member
Advanced Member

Someone call a manager? Addressing Vulpix Yolk & Nigel being appointed, since I signed off on it:

I hold all staff members accountable, and only give them the jobs I feel they are capable of. Every person is different and they don't all tick the same way. After seeing what Vulpix Yolk and Nigel have been doing for TCG sections and behind the scenes, between them both I feel things will be taken care of for the TCG section. Celebi23 did an extraordinary job as a Super Mod and it's big shoes to fill. He did A LOT.

Why wouldn't it be? Do you honestly believe that the amount of time spent in a job is irrelevant to how long you get used to doing it?

Reality check, it happens all of the time in real-life jobs. Someone could be at a company 30 years and a person that has been there a year gets promoted over them because they are more effective at what they do. Sometimes, people are just dragged right in from other companies over all of the people who've worked there, no matter how long. It's happened to me a few times at a previous job. It's about getting things done, not the amount of time!

That isn't true in the slightest. And if today is August 5th and Nigel gets modded, that's just under 2 months. He got used to it in under 2 months? Either he's extremely capable or the position of moderator is just a really easy job. It sounds like the latter is correct.

Going back to the part about how each person is different: Some people catch on to the job quicker than others. Some, it takes more time to understand the procedures. The general way we do work is not that hard. Some tasks and positions around the forum are harder than others. BUT, what is one of the hardest things to do is taking charge and doing things no one asked you to do. To coordinate, plan out things, make stuff happen. You do it because you care and want to see the forums get better for your efforts. Both of these people displayed these qualities, and I stand by the decision.

In closing, I wish to say that I take no pleasure in doing this, but I do what I do because I see an issue that needs addressing. (Notice how I only comment when I think something's wrong? If I don't comment on it, it means I'm fine with it.)

Part of me doesn't believe this. I can see how you're a bit uneasy about this, but sometimes the way you word things it comes off as jealous. Lose the 'tude and give them a chance to work together.

Status
Not open for further replies.