Midwest (Madison, WI, April 12-13)

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Just a quick "thank you" to Jimmy B., the PTO who ran the Midwest Regional tournament this past weekend.

This event was another, very successful event I've attended and that was run by Jimmy and his team. There were a variety of elements that contributed to the event's overall success, but I'd like to highlight 2 in particular:

1. A detailed schedule of the rounds were provided to the players and Jimmy/his staff adamantly adhered to that schedule with focused dedication. In doing so, it provided players with a great deal of flexibility in planning and scheduling their own personal activities. Adhering to that published schedule was very beneficial to all, especially Poké parents.

2. Like most premier events, there was an entry fee for Master's Division players. Although this $25 may be considered "steep" for some (e.g., "poor" college student), one could actually recoup his/her investment (the $25 was reimbursed as store credit which one could use immediately at the Poké vending station there at the tournament) by finishing in the top half of Masters competing at the tournament. This is a fantastic idea (based upon several conversations I had with players)! This type of prize support provided to 60+ players (I believe) was received quite well. This support also kept a lot of players interested in continuing to play in the tournament, despite the fact he/she would not make the top cut.

Thanks Jimmy. I look forward to your next event.

Back