Discussion Mewtwo GX

archangeljuicy

Aspiring Trainer
I'm trying to return back to the TCG after like 2 years or so and wanted to use a new deck since my old ones are gone and put in expanded which i kinda hate lol. I saw this Mewtwo card and thought it was playable and want to know if he is actually good to use in a deck of its own or just as a tech? also what would be good to use with him if building say around Mewtwo?

voluntaryreboot

Aspiring Trainer
Nothing about Mewtwo, or any of the shining legends cards, has really been proven or tested in a competitive environment yet. To an extent it’s too early to tell. On a personal level I think the card is worse than existing options and while I’d like the one with the tube artwork as a collectors piece I wouldn’t rush to build a deck around it. That isn’t to say that someone else won’t end up creating a tier one list for it, of course - but it certainly won’t be me. ;)

Blue_Horizon

Aspiring Trainer
Mewtwo has really forgettable attacks, apart from the excellent GX attack. Being able to hit 230 with a band and have no drawbacks is quite nice, as it allows it to one-shot common threats like Golisopod GX and Gardevoir GX. But the problem is that it's not really splashable in any deck right now, and the GX attack is too costly to be easily run in most decks. Perhaps you could try some sort of Lunala GX deck with max potions and max elixirs, plus exp. share or wishful batons, but it seems too slow to be good. Also, Mewtwo being weak to psychic is a huge liability in this format where Garbodor is everywhere.

archangeljuicy

Aspiring Trainer
why is it that bad though? with his first attack for 1 psychic can hit for 30 and if you add more energies to it it deals more damage. is it cuz of the attack not being colorless? also his 2nd attack is kinda nice for 2 energies at times to hit for 60 and heal 30

Memory

不安のない挑戦はない
why is it that bad though? with his first attack for 1 psychic can hit for 30 and if you add more energies to it it deals more damage. is it cuz of the attack not being colorless? also his 2nd attack is kinda nice for 2 energies at times to hit for 60 and heal 30

1. In order to kill a GX Pokemon nowadays you need to do somewhere from 180 to 250 damage, which is 6 to 9 energies. How you are going to attach that much energy onto 1 Pokemon before it dies is a mystery.
2. Gardevoir-GX exists, which does the same thing but better.
3. 60 heal 30 is irrelevant, your opponent can just ignore your attack.

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Considering your probably used to a lower damage format I understand why Mewtwo might look appealing. Unfortunately Mewtwo GX is not a great card.

Otaku

The wise fool?
I don't think Mewtwo-GX is bad, but it isn't especially good, either.

is it cuz of the attack not being colorless?

If you're comparing it to the original Mewtwo-EX, besides having an attack for [CC] in a format where many/most decks were running Double Colorless Energy or had compatible Energy acceleration, that was indeed a significant part of its success. X-Ball did damage based on Energy attached to both Active Pokémon, allowing it to punish small things with Energy, big things with a lot of Energy, or almost anything Psychic Weak. Another was timing: Mewtwo-EX (NXD) released in the first wave of Pokémon-EX and was far and away the best of them. It got to the point where about the only counter for Mewtwo-EX was your own copy.

Those don't apply to Mewtwo-GX. Maybe you could consider running one copy in something like a Metagross-GX deck; Metagross-GX has an Ability that attaches a basic Metal Energy or Psychic Energy card from your discard pile to your Active. This would allow a single Mewtwo-GX to slip into the deck to counter certain walls. The catch is that we're still talking about its GX-attack, which is a one time deal and the deck has at least one, probably two other GX-attacks it would rather use.

Mewtwo-GX also suffers from its Weakness; while not every deck is packing a Psychic-Type, enough are that 190 HP becomes an easy OHKO. I thought about maybe trying Mewtwo-GX in Expanded, where Dimension Valley plus Choice Band allows it to do 90 for [P] while healing 30 from itself, at least against Pokémon-EX/GX. Muscle Band can be swapped in against regular Pokémon for 80 damage/30 healing, or maybe Fighting Fury Belt if for only 70 damage and 30 healing but bumping Mewtwo-GX up to 230 HP. Keeping it attached, though, probably not likely, and needing [PC] is why I didn't suggest the combo for Standard.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Not worth the cardboard it's printed on; Psychic weakness makes it dead on arrival. Garbodor is too good and in too many decks.