Ruling Mewtwo EX

Squirtle Squad

Aspiring Trainer
MewtwoEXBWPromo45.jpg

I was at my first official event things today and I had ^this^ Mewtwo active.
My opponent had a 60HP Riolu, weak to psychic, active at the start of the match. I went first, attached a DCE and knocked him out because X-Ball would then do 80 for weakness. My opponent called the league professor, or whatever he was called, and he ruled that Mewtwo's attack would only do 20 because DCE is one energy card, which is what he though Mewtwo's card did., and then 40 for weakness so I wouldn't have donked his Riolu.

So Im just clarifying, Mewtwo EX with a DCE should do 40 (without weakness) correct?
I know this probably a silly, basic question, but keep in mind the people there didnt know what N did and also had to read what Pokemon Catcher did, as they were all unsure...
Thanks!

You are correct, and whoever made the ruling was wrong.

Mewtwo EX with a Double Colorless Energy attached would do 40, since DCE provides 2 Energy. The attack "X-Ball" also says that it does 20x the amount of energy attached to Mewtwo, it does not say "20x the amount of energy cards", just "energy".

So Mewtwo would do 40 damage x2, knocking out the Riolu with weakness.

The judge was incorrect. There is a distinction between energy and energy card, which this judge did not recognize correctly. I'm sorry you had this experience.

Haha thanks a lot, I was positive I was right but I didn't want to argue with his call :p

And there was a lot of things that no one there knew, even the judge, such as the afore mentioned N and Pokemon Catcher :p my deck had all the usual staple cards and for pretty much everyone of them, except Juniper and Skyla, they had to read each card as I played it :p

I'm very sorry you had to go through that kind of situation with inexperienced judges. I understand this happens a lot of different places, and it's unfortunate.

As my way of trying to improve your mood, please have this picture.

Back