• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Mewtwo EX Abuse

dbgoldberg323

TCG Professor, League Owner
Initially I constructed this deck to discourage people at my local from running Mewtwo EX. The plan is that if I see someone running Mewtwo EX in a deck, I'll bust this deck out and destroy theirs over and over until they use another deck, at which point I'd switch to a cooler one too. I'm sorry lol, but I hate the card so I figured I'd train my local meta to treat Mewtwo EX like countries treat Nuclear Weapons.

However, in doing so I think I made something that is rather competitive overall and the preliminary version of this deck blew me away with how nasty it could be.

Mewtwo Abuse v1.2

Pokémon: 17
1x Fliptini
3x Mewtwo EX
3x Ralts ND
2x Kirlia ND
2x Gardevoir ND
3x Darumaka ND
3x Darmanitan ND

Trainers: 25
3x Pokémon Communication
4x Dual ball
4x Judge
4x PONT
2x Max Potion
2x Revive
3x Switch
3x Pokémon Catcher

Energy: 18
2x DCE
2x Rescue Energy
14x Psychic Energy

Gardevoir's ability obviously helps Mewtwo EX but also one {P} energy helps him get going right off the bat. The Darumakas and Darmanitans are in the deck for a revenge-kill (if I don't have other Mewtwo EX's ready to go) as with just two {P} energy attached they can do up to 200 damage (and averaging 100), not to mention they have a built-in Copycat as their first attack. Judge is great for hand disruption, and in this deck it's better than N because you should be winning prizes left and right so you need the cards and your opponent doesn't need 6 or 5 every time.

2x Rescue, 2x Revive, 2x Max Potion help get Mewtwo's back up, Rescue and Max Potion help get Gardevoir/Darmanitan back up. Max Potion works just fine because one {P} energy attached afterwards is actually {P}{P}, and can have Mewtwo EX ready to go again.

4x Dual Ball and 3x Pokémon Communication help set up Gardevoir now that it's only 3-2-2, as well as get Fliptini and Mewtwo EX's going.

I really like the numbers in each section. I'm pretty happy with this build. I'll test this deck out this Saturday night (proxying the extra Mewtwo's for now, thanks Bebessearch) and report back with what I've found.

-------------------------------------------------------

Changes:
+1 Fliptini
-1 Mewtwo EX
-1 Ralts ND
-1 Kirlia ND
-1 Gardevoir ND
+2 Max Potion
+2 Revive
+1 Dual Ball
-2 Seeker
-2 DCE
-2 Rescue Energy
+4 Psychic Energy

RE: Mewtwo EX Shamefulness

But other mewtwos will just take advantage of gardevoir too. Anyways, try
-1-2 DCE (after gardevoir is set up all psychic energies will be counted as two anyways)
-2 Judge (there are better drawing supporters for this deck because it only refresh Ed you hand to 4 cards)
-2 PONT ( to make room for N because it can disrupt and is a good drawing supporter too)
-1-1-1 gardevoir? ( I'm not sure but 3-2-2 looks safe to me)
-1-2 mewtwo EX(3 is enough)
-2-4 rescue? (not really sure if it's needed because you can probably set up another one and you want to set up as quick as possible)
-1 switch (only one needed. You will almost never need all three and if you. Do you can always use junk arm)
-1 seeker (not needed really because you don't really need to return anything back to your hand)

+3 N (good drawing supporter because its good for disruption and it's a good hand refresher. Good for Durant matchups too)
+3 juniper (good drawing supporter. It's faster.)
+4 junk arm (to reuse trainers)
+1 dual ball (consistency so you can get out your basics as fast as possible)
+2 rare candy (for gardevoir)
+1 super rod (for recycling)
+1-2 fliptini (for darmanitan)

Jirachi said:
But other mewtwos will just take advantage of gardevoir too.
Gardevoir only boosts your energy if I'm not mistaken.
And why are you running this without the fliptini? Last time I used darmanitan i flipped quad tails.

That's the point. Gardevoir boosts your energy, so other Mewtwos have a much easier time getting the OHKO.

Mewtwo's best partner for accelerating energy is Celebi Prime, as it's fast and consistant. But if you want to stick with Gardevoir use Jirachi's suggestions.

EliGagerNorris said:
That's the point. Gardevoir boosts your energy, so other Mewtwos have a much easier time getting the OHKO.

Mewtwo's best partner for accelerating energy is Celebi Prime, as it's fast and consistant. But if you want to stick with Gardevoir use Jirachi's suggestions.
I thought he meant that boosts the other mewtwos energy. My bad.

A friend was talking about a similar deck recently and it brought up a question. Gardevoirs ability DOES give Darmanitan extra flips for DarMAXitan, right?

I'm pretty sure it does since gardevoir doubles the amount of psychic energies.

Thanks for the replies guys! :D

Yes, Gardevoir grants Darmanitan double flips for each {P} energy attached because Gardevoir makes each {P} energy provide {P}{P} while attached to a {P} Pokémon. Since Darmanitan's "DarMAXitan" attack only references "energy" and not "energy cards", it works perfectly fine.

Now to the deck suggestions.

Jirachi, I don't want to make this seem like I'm bashing you. I appreciate the suggestions, but I happen to disagree with 60% of it. The other 40% is great, and I will use it immediately, but I'm finding our deck building strategies are quite different and thus we have different opinions.

Jirachi said:
Anyways, try
-1-2 DCE (after gardevoir is set up all psychic energies will be counted as two anyways)
Good call. I agree that only 2-3 are needed. It is mainly for early turn support for the Mewtwo EX's.

Jirachi said:
-2 Judge (there are better drawing supporters for this deck because it only refresh Ed you hand to 4 cards)
It is not in here for just draw power, that's why PONT is also in here. Judge provides hand disruption and in my experience it's too good to ignore.

Jirachi said:
-2 PONT ( to make room for N because it can disrupt and is a good drawing supporter too)
As I explained above, N does not work for this deck because I should be taking prizes quickly and if I need cards I would be getting much less each time, while my opponent would continually get a solid amount (5-6 since they shouldn't be taking too many prizes from a deck like this). No, I think Judge is infinitely better in this example because I will always get the 4 cards, and if they have 5 or 6 prizes they still only get 4 cards. Again, it's better then Team Rocket's Administration...I mean, um "N", for this deck. :p

Jirachi said:
-1-1-1 gardevoir? ( I'm not sure but 3-2-2 looks safe to me)
That's a scary small number of evolutions to me, but I can certainly try it.

Jirachi said:
-1-2 mewtwo EX(3 is enough)
Agreed. The preliminary version only runs one and works beautifully, but I put four in this version to ensure he doesn't end up in prizes. I think 2-3 would work better though, so again, completely agreed. 4x was honestly just for the lulz.

Jirachi said:
-2-4 rescue? (not really sure if it's needed because you can probably set up another one and you want to set up as quick as possible)
The objective of Rescue Energy as well as Seeker (and maybe even Revive) is to get a Mewtwo EX back if necessary. If I take Mewtwo's out as suggested above, I would need to keep these in to ensure I can reclaim a dead Mewtwo. However, I do agree that maybe I only need 2-3.

Jirachi said:
-1 switch (only one needed. You will almost never need all three and if you. Do you can always use junk arm)
I am a firm believer that one copy of anything in any deck of any game is absolutely dumb, unless you have the ability to tutor for it. Running one switch may as well be zero switches because I will never see it. I may take switch to even 3x because sometimes you just need to pull back that Darmanitan or Gardevoir without losing 2-3 energy each time you retreat.

Jirachi said:
-1 seeker (not needed really because you don't really need to return anything back to your hand)
It's for Mewtwo EX. He's fully damaged, I use a Switch *gasp* and seeker him and all energy attached back to my hand. I play him on the bench, attach a {P} (which is actually {P}{P}), retreat my active, and BAM! 40+ damage already, and he's at full HP. Obviously that energy that was pulled back could go to another Mewtwo EX that is already partially powered up, but just sayin'. It's a nice trick with big nasties like Mewtwo EX.

Jirachi said:
+3 N (good drawing supporter because its good for disruption and it's a good hand refresher. Good for Durant matchups too)
See my comments above, but no, he's not good in this deck IMO. Judge is better because I should be claiming more prizes than them, and it still has the disruption we all love.

Jirachi said:
+3 juniper (good drawing supporter. It's faster.)
I'm not a fan of discarding stuff (like the only 10 {P} energy I have) without Junk Arms or whatever the energy retrieval item is.

Jirachi said:
+4 junk arm (to reuse trainers)
With Juniper, yeah it's a great card (and yes it also works fine on its own) but I don't want to lose cards in-hand. Oak is only 1 card less and I don't ditch stuff to the discard pile. :cool: As for ditching 2 cards to use it, again I'm not impressed with it. :/

Jirachi said:
+1 dual ball (consistency so you can get out your basics as fast as possible)
Agreed.

Jirachi said:
+2 rare candy (for gardevoir)
Since your suggestion is only having 2, I'm thinking this is quite the waste. It takes up space and not running 3x means I won't see it often at all, and maybe not in time enough for it to matter.

Jirachi said:
+1 super rod (for recycling)
I thought long and hard about this card. Combined with Pokéball and PONT/Judge, this could work, but it's another one I'm not sold on. Maybe, we'll see.

Jirachi said:
+1-2 fliptini (for darmanitan)
Very interesting suggestion. Average flips with two energy (which would be four thanks to Gardevoir) would be two heads, two tails, so in theory I would use this on three tails or four tails to ensure I'm doing 100, 150, or 200 damage all the time. Maybe I'll only throw in one Fliptini because I can get it out with Dual Ball/PONT/Judge/Pokémon Communication, and I won't have to buy more than one lol.

Again, thanks for your suggestions Jirachi. You have been super helpful. I will do some revisions and keep the first post updated when I make the changes.

You're definately going to want N over judge if it comes to a Mewtwo exchange, which it inevitably will. And I'd have to disagree that Gardevoir makes it easier for your opponent to get the return KO. With a DCE, you'd have 2 energies. With one {P}, you'd have 2 energies.

Oh for the switch I meant only 2 are needed. Sorry for the typo. Besides, I'd I said -1 switch from the three you have, that leaves two. I'd much rather run ssu then seeker, it's just a preference thing, because it is junk armable (is that the word?) and can be used in the same turn as a drawing supporter.

Mora said:
You're definately going to want N over judge if it comes to a Mewtwo exchange, which it inevitably will. And I'd have to disagree that Gardevoir makes it easier for your opponent to get the return KO. With a DCE, you'd have 2 energies. With one {P}, you'd have 2 energies.
Yeah, then N would make sense because another Mewtwo deck would be trouble. Hopefully this deck, being focused on getting the Mewtwos to work, would go off first. As for the Gardevoir, I agree. However much energy my Mewtwo has is the same that it would have if people powered him up with energy all normal-style, except that this is faster.

Jirachi said:
Oh for the switch I meant only 2 are needed. Sorry for the typo. Besides, I'd I said -1 switch from the three you have, that leaves two. I'd much rather run ssu then seeker, it's just a preference thing, because it is junk armable (is that the word?) and can be used in the same turn as a drawing supporter.
Ah. Yes, Junk Arm provides much needed recovery for items as it can pick which one it wants to grab. I just don't like the "discard two cards" part like old school Item Finder. Lol, I guess it's just whining at this point but I hate discarding cards. :p

Also, I will be editing this deck in a few hours with all the awesome suggestions! Thanks, and stay tuned!

Okay, here's version 1.2 of my Mewtwo EX Abuse deck. :rolleyes:

Pokémon: 17
1x Fliptini
3x Mewtwo EX
3x Ralts ND
2x Kirlia ND
2x Gardevoir ND
3x Darumaka ND
3x Darmanitan ND

Trainers: 25
3x Pokémon Communication
4x Dual ball
4x Judge
4x PONT
2x Max Potion
2x Revive
3x Switch
3x Pokémon Catcher

Energy: 18
2x DCE
2x Rescue Energy
14x Psychic Energy

2x Rescue, 2x Revive, 2x Max Potion help get Mewtwo's back up, Rescue and Max Potion help get Gardevoir/Darmanitan back up. Max Potion works just fine because one {P} energy attached afterwards is actually {P}{P}, and can have Mewtwo EX ready to go again.

4x Dual Ball and 3x Pokémon Communication help set up Gardevoir now that it's only 3-2-2, as well as get Fliptini and Mewtwo EX's going.

I really like the numbers in each section. I'm pretty happy with this build. I'll test this deck out this Saturday night (proxying the extra Mewtwo's for now, thanks Bebessearch) and report back with what I've found.

Hmmm,
-2 Judge
-1 Kirlia
-2 Dual Ball
-1 Max Potion

+2 Rare Candy -It's absolutley nesessary
+2/3 Pokemon Collector- Beats Dual Ball
+1/2 Junk arm- Gets back nesessary Trainers
Hope this post helps

dbgoldberg323 said:
I'd train my local meta to treat Mewtwo EX like countries treat Nuclear Weapons.

So does that make you as ruthless as Iran and North Korea then? >_>

dbgoldberg323 said:
As for the Gardevoir, I agree. However much energy my Mewtwo has is the same that it would have if people powered him up with energy all normal-style, except that this is faster.

Since you run {P}, if you need an extra energy for the KO on another Mewtwo, you could psidrive, making the base damage for your opponent's Mewtwo 160.

You could probably run Jirachi with Stardust song /shaymin to get energy if you're short a ko, couldn't you?

Probably. I think it would be a great idea to have Mewtwo, Regigigas, Shaymin, future EX's requiring {C} with a Basic energy acceleration engine. But in this deck you have Gardevoir as you energy provider, so it's almost a redundancy.

Back