• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Metagross Standard

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
UNec for heavy hitting if needed (I’ve had better luck with it than Dusk Mane, particularly in early game with just two energy).

One baby Metagross comes in handy a lot, either for Hoopa or for Stephens Reaolve.

I think it’s a bit ahy on draw support still, but haven’t figured out what to drop for what.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 17

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 1 Ultra Necrozma-GX FLI 95
* 4 Beldum GRI 83
* 2 Metang GRI 84
* 1 Metagross CES 95
* 4 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 1 Dhelmise GRI 59
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 2 Steven’s Resolve CES 145
* 4 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 3 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 1 Apricorn Maker CES 124
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 4 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Order Pad UPR 131
* 4 Max Potion GRI 128

##Energy - 10

* 4 Psychic Energy 5
* 6 Metal Energy 8

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I think, the first thing to focus on is knowing what matchups need what boards. For example:

Ultra Necrozma GX / Malamar - Dehlmise is key here. You dont need to set up your ultra necroz, or the baby metagross. Just make your you have 1 Dehlmise and Choice band and your Metagross GX will always OHK Ultra Necrozma. This goes for any matchup with 190 pokemon. Dehlmise is so important to hitting those numbers. I run 2 just to make sure I have one when the other is prized.

210+ (Mirror, Beast Box, Zoro/Golispod). You either have to focus on only two shot-ing these pokemon, OR focus on using Duskmane GX/ Ultra Necrozma GX to reach 220+. I believe the latter is the better strategy. With choice band Dusk mane can hit 250 to take out Solgeo GX and Metagross GX mirrors. So the focus would be to get as many Metagross GX on board for your engine to power up Your Heavy Hitter. (Duskmane, or ULtra)

Pokemon aside, everything else looks good. I personally would cut one Guzma to put in the other Dehlmise.

This looks good and I agree with the above post. Dehlmise is just too good for hitting numbers. You could run a rescue stretcher instead of a second though and have a safety net for if your pre-evolutions get knocked out as well as provide a way to revive a downed Ultra Necrozma if you are going with the OHKO strategy and it gets return KO’d. I’m not sure I see the benefit of Tate & Liza in this deck, since you don’t really ever want to switch with Metagross - retreating to discard the energy is preferred. T&L also doesn’t dig, and shuffle drawing only 5 is suboptimal if you are looking for that one piece needed, i.e. evolution/candy when one is in hand. Instead I would run TV Reporter (can help discard energy) as it also synergies a little better after an Algorithm GX or Steven’s Resolve. In testing, running the ball spread you have along with 2 Apricorn Maker has provided good consistency getting set up early game w/ nest balls, as well as good deck thinning mid-late game if you get the second AM to grab Ultra Balls. I think all decks should run at least 1 form of hand disruption and in Metagross’ case, a well timed Judge right before an Algorithm GX may prevent the next turn Judge from the opponent. Lastly, you could experiment with 1 copy of Hala, but getting it early game as your only draw support just feels bad man.

Summary:
-1 Guzma
-2 Tate & Liza
-1 Order Pad

+1 Rescue Stretcher
+1 Tv Reporter
+1 Judge
+1 Apricorn Maker

Maybe consider:
-1 Cynthia
+1 Hala

One other thing. I have been thinking of a good 1 prize attacker for this Metagross GX decks (other than Dhelmise which you’d prefer to not lose), and CES Registeel is almost too perfect - it 2HKO Zoroark while needing 2 hits itself unless they have Kukui, and OHKO Gardevoir with either Choice band or Dhelmise, though the latter match up is easily taken care of by Metagross on it’s own. Also removes Hoopa. Probably not needed, but could be considered.

Not entirely sure why you would want to play a TV reporter, as the discard isn’t worth the shoddy draw three as your supporter for turn. I would, in that case, consider bumping your Alolan Vulpix count up to increase consistency for getting out metagross T2, as that is what the deck wants to do 10/10 times.

Thanks for the feedback. I do think a second Alolan Vulpix could be very nice, I love it when it's my starter.

I'm wondering if I should keep Oranguru, or dump it. This deck doesn't really have all that much likelihood of hitting small hand sizes, and honestly once it's set up it doesn't matter much what is in my hand, I'm just rotating and maaaybe trying for a max potion or two. Bench size is a premium with 1 Tapu Lele and 1 Alolan Vulpix out there usually, meaning 3 spots for Metagross GX and 1 spot for [UNecrozma/Baby Metagross], no place for Oranguru unless Vulpix didn't make it out.

I get the Tate and Liza lack of value with Switch (though I've used it more than once to actual value - when someone Guzma'd an empty Metagross or something to my active and I didn't have 3 out so I couldn't fill it up); it's there basically for the 5 card draw, and the rare usage otherwise. I just think I need more draw supports, and I'm not sure about more Steven's Resolve at this point (that being really the other good option).

I'm not convinced by Judge's utility in this deck, I want more cards, and when this deck is set up I don't care much what the other person is doing.

Maybe one more Apricorn Maker, though, but I haven't really gotten a good feel for that card; it seems like a great Turn 1 card, but after turn 1 I usually find it not very useful (maybe grab 1 ultra 1 nest then use the nest as fodder for the ultra when I need a Metagross or something).

I'm thinking maybe:

-2 Tate & Liza
-1 Order Pad
-1 Oranguru?

+1 Alolan Vulpix
+1 Rescue Stretcher or Dhelmise (I have to think about that one some more) or both if Oranguru is dropped
+1 Apricorn Maker

And then maybe switch a Guzma for either a Hala or a Lillie. I still like Lillies when they are there turn one, and a decent % of the time they're useful even if they/tapu lele don't show either later on.

One other thing. I have been thinking of a good 1 prize attacker for this Metagross GX decks (other than Dhelmise which you’d prefer to not lose), and CES Registeel is almost too perfect - it 2HKO Zoroark while needing 2 hits itself unless they have Kukui, and OHKO Gardevoir with either Choice band or Dhelmise, though the latter match up is easily taken care of by Metagross on it’s own. Also removes Hoopa. Probably not needed, but could be considered.

I have Baby Metagross for that reason for the most part, though I'll think about it; certainly if I take out Oranguru I need to think a bit more about how I handle Hoopa (not that Oranguru is a great choice, but it does work and Metagross can power it up).

Back