Stealth Rock
Psyshock
Earthquake
Explosion
Shadow Ball
Substitute
Flash Cannon

Thoughts
Metagross was a rather underrated Pokemon in Gen V OU, and things didn't get much better for it in Gen VI, with Steel being nerfed. While powerful offensively and defensively, Metagross struggled with a low Speed stat and a problem with its coverage, resulting in many people not preferring it. Now, however, Metagross gets a Mega forme. We will be able to deduce more upon seeing its stats, however, from what we know until now, Metagross gets an around the clock boost. The massive Speed increase could easily mean that Metagross will hit the 100 Speed tier, a real blessing; Tough Claws, its new Ability, with extra Attack, will work wonders; additional defense can allow for an easier tank build, and the bonus Special Attack may even show us some crazy guys going for special sets. What do you think will Metagross' future be in the OU metagame?
Edit: Amazing bulk, great attack, although not beastly for a mega (Tough Claws though) and Lati@s sized speed. Well...

Agility Mega Metagross could be potent. It resists some of the popular priority in the tier (QA, ES, BB, BP), and might be bulky enough to take a Sucker Punch from Bisharp. If it gets a Speed boost then this might be enough to push it ahead of some important tiers and allow it to run an Adamant nature for extra firepower.

Obviously Agility and Meteor Mash are mandatory here. EQ will be required if Aegislash remains in OU, but if not then Zen Headbutt might prove superior due to annihilating Rotom-W. The fourth coverage move is up for grabs but T-Punch springs to mind for Gyarados, Talonflame and Skarmory (the latter of which it might even 2HKO with the Tough Claws boost..?)

What's interesting as well is that if it can guarantee a kill in vanilla form, then it can hold off from evolving to preserve its Intimidate immunity via Clear Body. This is actually a really big deal IMO, as it makes it more difficult for Gyarados and Lando-T to revenge kill.

Can someone do a damage calc for a +252 Meteor Mash from base 155 attack and Tough Claws against a 252/+252 Hippowdown?

Also, Tough Claws Bullet Punch sounds pretty hot for a tank set.

252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 157-186 (37.3 - 44.2%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

However, supposing that Mega Metagross will have 140 base Defense:
4 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 180-212 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO

Meaning that Hippowdon can most probably still counter Metagross.

^ Is that with the hypothetical base 155 attack?

I'd do this myself but my office has weird access rights, in theory I shouldn't even be able to post here. :V

That's not too bad, given the possibility that Megagross could nab a +1 boost through Meteor Mash spam. I remember back in DPPt where some people ran Psychic to nail Rotom-A. I can see that happening again to screw over dedicated physical walls like Rotom-W, Gliscor, and the aforemetioned Hippowdon.

Metagross won't run 252 HP EVs once Mega Metagross is released. Agility sets may run some HP EVs to add a little bulk after hitting their desired Agility number, but once we get his Mega Stone then say goodbye to that spread.

When I start on VGC 2015, I am definatly using mega metagross, I'm pondering a set like this
Metagross ability light metal @ metagrossite(or whatever it's called) nature adamant
-bullet punch
-zen headbutt
-meteor mash
-earthquake, pursuit, or agility
252 atk evs will make it unstoppable, but I'm not sure what else.
I think if it does get a speed gain, like chaos jackal said, then it will seriously be a threat to many many teams. I'm thinking of running it.

Sorry if this doesn't fit here

I'd imagine Clear Body is a much more useful ability for VGC because of Intimidate while Light Metal helps you against basically nothing.

So now we know its stats:

Metagross-M Stats: 80/145/150/105/110/110 Type: Steel/Psychic Catchrate: 3 Stage: 3

I am thinking about this set:

All-Out Attacker

Metagross@ Mega stone
Ability:Tough Claws
Nature: Jolly
EV: 252 atk 4 s.def 252 spe
- Meteor Mash/ Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch/ Earthquake

Moves:

Meteor Mash is STAB that has the chance to boost M-Metagross attack stat and deals heavy damage to Fairies and Rock types. Bullet punch can be another option for priority in which case change the nature into Adamant as you loose the chance to boost your attack. Zen Headbutt is also STAB and deals great with threatening Fighting types which most of them carrying Dark type moves. Pursuit is in order to trap Ghost and other Psychic Pokemon but could be dangerous if in low health as they usually can fight back with Shadow Ball. Ice Punch deals with Dragon and Ground types specially that Mega Salamence. It also takes care of many threats from those types: unchoice scarf Garchomp Landorus Gliscor and Dragonite which now are also slower then M-Metagross. Earthquake can be used to deal with Heatran which otherwise completely walls this set.

Set Details:

With Jolly nature and max speed investment Mega Metagross ties with Gengar and Latios and now can outspeed a lot of threats such as Garchomp Landorus Excadrill Gliscor and Dragonite. Max investment in attack together with Tough Claws allow it to break easily defensive Pokemon boosting almost all of its moves except Earthquake.

Back