General Memories of Watching the Anime

zappy80

Aspiring Trainer
My favorite and saddest memories are Bye Bye Butterfree I almost cry every time so sad. Also the one where pikcahu is almost left behind by Ash really sad and first time I saw it I was like OHMYGOSH. Another is the one where ash goes to save pikachu from the horde of spearow.

But my overall favorite is on the episode where ash catchs primeape when Brock says well done ash you just caught a donut or something like that

Note: in the first season brock alternates from calling rice patties donuts or rice patties

Lex

Hopeful
The first movie still makes me cry. >_> Every time.

That show was my favorite all through the first and second gen. 15 years later I still enjoy watching the old episodes. Love all the characters. Miss them and wish I could've seen them grow up. ❤ But I appreciate the newer anime bringing in more fans who love it.

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
It was the 8th of September, 1998. No idea what the weather was like, because this isn't some melodramatic crime novel opening. Nah. I was about five and a half years old, and was just about to start Kindergarten. My mom was trying to get me to stay up a bit later in the evening, so that I wouldn't wake up so early, so she encouraged me to start watching this random show that she flipped to. Turns out, hey, it was "Pokémon -- I Choose You!". I don't actually personally remember all this, but my mom has told me a few times. I'm now 24 years old, and am still thankful that my mom got me to check this out. I watched every single episode of the first couple of seasons. Didn't miss a single one.

I eventually grew bored of the anime, but it was the spark that ignited my longest running fandom. When four of my friends and I moved in to a house together to start university, back in September 2011, before we had internet or cable hooked up, we had a TV and my old PS2 hooked up. It was pretty close to the original air date that we started rewatching that first season together, thanks to the DVD collection I had bought from Wal-Mart the summer before.

And then we hit Bye Bye Butterfree. Here's the scene: Five guys, all around 17-18, living on their own for the first time, all watching their childhood anime. We all shed a few tears over that scene. It was a bonding experience.

9Blades

Gym Leader of Water Types
Back in like, 7th grade, I had two friends who also watched the anime. I remember that every Monday, we would always get together after school and discuss the most recent episode that aired. At one point, we all got together one Saturday and watched one (it was "Where No Togepi Has Gone Before"), which I kinda wish had happened more. Maybe because of moments like these is why I enjoyed the DP series more than most did.

Nyora

A Cat
I remember when I was like 8-10 on most weekends after we all had breakfast, my siblings and myself (I have 3 brothers that live with me and 1 sister) would all sit on the couch and watch whatever episodes for about 2 or three hours straight. It was amazing when this happened, gettin to snuggle with my younger brothers and sister and cat and dog. :3

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Buttefree's Goodbye, the one where it seemed Pikachu was going to leave even though that seemed impossible. The First Movie. All moments for me for very obvious reasons.

The second movie also come to mind for me. I went with my cousin to see it in theatres, but for some reason the theatre had some kind of screw up and half the movie was missing or something, we got to see a second full screening for free. But it sucks that it had to happen in the first place.

Xys

Otherworldly Trainer
Do you have a few good/bad memories that you remember when you used to watch the Pokemon anime when you were younger?

Why do these memories stand out to you the most?
I remember the S.S. Anne one, and the fossil one where Charmeleon evolves. I also recall the first Pokémon movie, and a few others, I used to watch indigo league ALL the time when I was younger. I think I pretty much watched the whole thing 3 times over or more.