• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Mega Venusaur EX XY

Leronne

Bug Pokemon Lover
I've always wanted to play Mega Venusaur EX, but with no spirit link and that massive attack cost, it just didn't feel very consistent. I know Evolutions is a little far away, but i wanted to make a concept deck so i'm instantly ready for when it's released. Now i few things before i get into the deck list. I know shaymin and/or hoopa are essentially must have for any deck that has EX's (or not), but i really don't want to go through the trouble of trying to get any of them. maybe if i get lucky and pull a shaymin, i might add it to the deck, but for now this is how i want to make it. another thing is that i'm exclusively a TCGO player, so this isn't really for a league or anything (since this is non-existent where i'm from). It's mostly a casual deck. Now on to the deck list.

Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List

Pokémon: 19

3 Venusaur-EX XY
3 M Venusaur-EX XY*
3 Yanma STS
3 Yanmega STS
3 Yanmega BREAK STS
2 Remoraid BKT
2 Octillery BKT

Trainer: 30

1 Super Rod
2 Switch*
2 Level Ball
3 Ultra Ball
3 Mega Turbo
1 Revitalizer
3 VS Seeker
1 Professor Sycamore
3 N
1 Lysandre
1 Skyla
1 Hex Maniac
2 Professor Sycamore
3 Forest of Giant Plants
3 Venusaur Spirit Link

Energy: 11

2 Double Colorless Energy
9 Grass Energy

*Replaced GEN M Venusaur with XY M Venusaur
*Replaced Escape Rope with Switch

Pretty straight forward deck. Attack with Yanmega while setting up Venusaur (if all goes well). My main question right now is which (Mega) Venusaur EX is better or is more useful. XY or Generations. for now i'm going with 3 XY venusaur's because i feel like they're more useful. i also feel like XY mega Venus is better because of the Paralysis, but i play one Gen mega in case i need to set up quicker. Any feedback for trainers, pokemon (especially Venusaur) and energy would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Escape Rope and Crisis Vine is counterproductive. Replace the ropes with Switches.

I would also go with a full XY Mega Venusaur line; Crisis Vine is amazing. You 2HKO everything and prevent them from retaliating without a switching card. This is a big deal, especially against Mewtwo, who punishes your attachments, and Scizor, who can toss your Stadiums and your DCEs.

Escape Rope and Crisis Vine is counterproductive. Replace the ropes with Switches.

I would also go with a full XY Mega Venusaur line; Crisis Vine is amazing. You 2HKO everything and prevent them from retaliating without a switching card. This is a big deal, especially against Mewtwo, who punishes your attachments, and Scizor, who can toss your Stadiums and your DCEs.
Oh yeah. I'm so used to playing escape rope i forgot it nullifies the effects. Thanks.

Is it that deck is very HEAVY when it comes to the Pokemon you ran and the energy you use?

I've been playing M Venusaur EX from Generations for a while, looking for a way to compensate its slowness (no Spirit Links and massive energy cost). I think I finally got the answer with Volcarona (Steam Siege). Its first attack always inflicts a very annoying special condition that helps A LOT to win time to load up a Venusaur.

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my primary language.

NOTE: I replaced the thread title to just mega venusaur, since i'm open to suggestions for other pokemon instead of yanmega Break.

I've been playing M Venusaur EX from Generations for a while, looking for a way to compensate its slowness (no Spirit Links and massive energy cost). I think I finally got the answer with Volcarona (Steam Siege). Its first attack always inflicts a very annoying special condition that helps A LOT to win time to load up a Venusaur.

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my primary language.
This actually gives me an idea to run solar birth Volcarona. With Larvesta from Steam Siege, combined with forest, i could potentially use solar birth first turn if all goes right.

Is it that deck is very HEAVY when it comes to the Pokemon you ran and the energy you use?
Kinda. I'm not that experienced in TCG. I've mostly been playing for 5-6 months now (but known about it since i was little because of the GB tcg game) and i'm decent when it comes to deck building, but not great. Especially when it's a heavy deck like this.

@Leronne The idea of the deck is to first turn mega evolve. In order to accomplish this the deck needs a basic ex, spirit link and forest of giant plants in play.

The actual charge of the pokemon comes second.

To increase your stats on the first turn Mega Evolve, you would run 2 Hoopa and 4/3 Shaymins. Hoopa and Shaymin will allow the speed that will be needed to accomplish the task.

Now for the charge -- U will need to play 4 ultraballs along with acro bike. You hunt for the energies and mega turbo them onto the M pokemon. Revitlizer works well with acro bike and ultraball. When you are discarding pokemon, you can get them back with revitlizer. The hardest part about this deck is looking for a good secondary attacker. That is something I'm still trying to figure out. But what I do know is that I would run the deck with 3 or 4 basic Pokemon. I would not use evolution pokemon. It would slow the deck down exponentially. Puzzle of time might not be a bad play. It will get the mega turbos back into play when the hammers start reigning down.

I know you don't want to go through the trouble of getting the cards, but to be honest, you'll probably have a better time pairing Yanmega with another pokemon like Vespiqen, then spending the money on M Vensours.

GL

Last edited:
Back