Discussion Mega Pidgeot EX viability

poke4trade

Raising Ash
It just has a lot of bad matchups. It is also not a very straight forward pokemon. It's tricky because of the first attack on the card. Most viable competitive decks do one, maybe two attacks to win games. They are straight forward and make you think about the matchups versus how to play the deck while playing.

Pidgetto needs another good partner to compensate for it's lack power. It is the quagmire of the game. Game balance has never been pokemon's strong suit. But this year has been really diverse in standard. There is about 6 to 8 really descent decks. I have nothing to complain about because that is good compared to the last six years I've been playing. Usually, there is just one Pokemon/Deck that rules them all.

Chancewoot

Aspiring Trainer
I think someone this weekend nearly topped with a Pidgeot-EX deck with no Mega. The main strategy was to make sure you can't OHKO Pidgeot and then keep on pounding down damage with Mirror Move and Max Potions. I think they either ran Magearna or Jolteon with it.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
It just has a lot of bad matchups. It is also not a very straight forward pokemon. It's tricky because of the first attack on the card. Most viable competitive decks do one, maybe two attacks to win games. They are straight forward and make you think about the matchups versus how to play the deck while playing.

Pidgetto needs another good partner to compensate for it's lack power. It is the quagmire of the game. Game balance has never been pokemon's strong suit. But this year has been really diverse in standard. There is about 6 to 8 really descent decks. I have nothing to complain about because that is good compared to the last six years I've been playing. Usually, there is just one Pokemon/Deck that rules them all.

Pidgeot's worst matchup I believe is Volcanion and Greninja. Volcanion can OHKO it and Greninja doesn't do enough for Mirror Move to do much. The problem people have with Pidgeot is they are trying to play it like all the other decks and that just doesn't work.

I think someone this weekend nearly topped with a Pidgeot-EX deck with no Mega. The main strategy was to make sure you can't OHKO Pidgeot and then keep on pounding down damage with Mirror Move and Max Potions. I think they either ran Magearna or Jolteon with it.

This should be the right way to play it. You want to prevent being OHKO'd and hit back with Mirror Move. Pidgeot is one of the few EX cards that doesn't need the mega, though you'll want it against M Gardevoir EX since they can OHKO you and discard FFB with Rattata.

crystal_pidgeot

So why @crystal_pidgeot do think that the mega and shrine of memories should not be played?

They should be played. I was just saying that Pidgeot-EX is one of the few Pokemon-EX with a Mega that can get away without playing it but a solo Pidgeot-EX build can have a problem against M Mewtwo-EX and M Gardevoir-EX.

cookie1117

Aspiring Trainer
are some off you aware a jolteon/pidgeot variant placed 9th at ft wayne regionals.

so this deck shows potential

gman21

If only my avatar was real
the thing is jolteon ex is expensive and I dont have that kind of money.

crystal_pidgeot

the thing is jolteon ex is expensive and I dont have that kind of money.

I don't think the deck really needs to run Jolteon-EX. Its a tech for the most part but I guess it depends on the build. There aren't too many decks in Standard that run Basics exclusively outside of Volcanion and DarkTina and these decks run Escape Rope. Most other things don't have much issue against Jolteon.

I feel Pidgeot's best partners are things that can attack quickly like Lugia-EX and similar cards. Reason for this is because you want to use Mirror Move and a big factor in that is being able to tank hits. If something can OHKO you, you'll want to be able to respond to that.

gman21

If only my avatar was real
That's what I thought but lots of other people had different opinions.

Last edited:

cookie1117

Aspiring Trainer
jolteon is very expensive. but then can be very situational. you can play regice or glaceon on another day and place the exact same.

it's all about choosing the right cards on the day.

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
I like the Jolteon in Pidgeot not necessarily because it has any actual synergy, but because it really, really helps against Yveltal too, arguably the best deck in the format right now. Dishing 140 with Weakness and not taking any hits the next turn (unless Lysandre or Escape Rope but you know what I mean) from Basics is great, and when this is all Yveltal has...it's nice. And they don't usually play Ranger. Of course, Jolteon covers those weaknesses in Volcanion as well, which is also a top-performing deck. I would probably opt for a Max Elixir version of this deck simply because you might have the option to hit with Pidgeot's Feather Lance or even with Flash Ray on the very first turn. I don't have much experience with the deck so take my perspective with a grain of salt, but that's just what I'm feelin.

crystal_pidgeot

I like the Jolteon in Pidgeot not necessarily because it has any actual synergy, but because it really, really helps against Yveltal too, arguably the best deck in the format right now. Dishing 140 with Weakness and not taking any hits the next turn (unless Lysandre or Escape Rope but you know what I mean) from Basics is great, and when this is all Yveltal has...it's nice. And they don't usually play Ranger. Of course, Jolteon covers those weaknesses in Volcanion as well, which is also a top-performing deck. I would probably opt for a Max Elixir version of this deck simply because you might have the option to hit with Pidgeot's Feather Lance or even with Flash Ray on the very first turn. I don't have much experience with the deck so take my perspective with a grain of salt, but that's just what I'm feelin.

Jolteon-EX has as much synergy with Pidgeot-EX as Regice and Glaceon-EX does. As of now, if were to pick one of the three, you're better off going with Regice simply because it does exactly what you want (blocking Basic Pokemon) and gives up one prize card. It also covers EX Pokemon and Mega evolved Pokemon. This was said earlier but it really does matter on what you think you will see because each of there are as good as the other but if you wanted to one, Regice is the best option since it covers more things, as EX attackers are what hurt you the most.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
Pidgeot's worst matchup I believe is Volcanion and Greninja. Volcanion can OHKO it and Greninja doesn't do enough for Mirror Move to do much. The problem people have with Pidgeot is they are trying to play it like all the other decks and that just doesn't work.

Agreed. I know there is a hidden trick to that deck. But I've come to a conclusion that I will just net deck when someone else figures it. I've been getting lazy lately. Great Article by the way! :0)

crystal_pidgeot

Agreed. I know there is a hidden trick to that deck. But I've come to a conclusion that I will just net deck when someone else figures it. I've been getting lazy lately. Great Article by the way! :0)

Thanks, I worked hard on that article. I just hope its able to help people the way I'd like it to.