Huge Power

Viable moves:
Play Rough
Sucker Punch
Iron Head
Protect
Rock Slide
Fire Fang

Mega Mawile is a very interesting Pokemon. Able to give Mega Kangaskhan a hard time with its bulk and typing, and put pressure on the other most common Megas in the VGC metagame being Mega Metagross and Mega Salamence with Sucker Punch and Play Rough respectively. Its ability along with its type and bulk lets it break through a lot of things making it a very good bulky offensive Pokemon. Mega Mawile's speed stat is its weak spot but it does have access to priority via Sucker Punch to make up for it. Will-o-Wisp and Scald are also very common moves that can be used to cripple Mega Mawile badly and common threats such as Landorus-T and Mega Charizard Y hider its viability as well but with the right team support it can still be really threatening.

Nature: Mostly Adamant obviously to boost its best stat. Brave for Trick Room teams.

So what do you think about Mega Mawile in the current metagame?
How much do you think it is viable?
What sets/EV spreads/Moves you think are good/viable?
What good teammates you think is best to use with it?
Do you have any interesting calcs?
And of course the big question: Rock Slide or Iron Head? :p

Share your thoughts so I'll edit this thread for better use :]

Last edited:
Mega Mawile is ok, but it just isn't as consistent as other megas such as Kangaskhan. Sure you have Intimidate, but you also suffer from being weak to ground and ultimately Landorus-T who is one of the most used Pokemon in VGC teams. Rotom-W is also quite a problem for Mawile because it will burn the Mawile making it signficantly weaker. Its special defense isn't anything spectacular either.

Speed is a huge problem for Mawile. You basically need to commit it to a Trick Room team if you are going to use it to its full potential. Slowking is definitely a recommendation because of being able to handle fire and ground types.

I really would go with Iron Head over Rock Slide because nonstab and doubles modifier make a large difference in damage output. Iron Head also has perfect accuracy for situations when that matters. Rock Slide only helps against fire types which you generally would not stay in against anyway. The ability to hit flying Pokemon harder is generally not worth the risk and Play Rough / Iron Head does enough damage on its own.

I think Mawile is also very good outside of Trick Room teams, being able to wall and counter the most common Mega is already great. It is true that it's special defense isn't anything spectacular, as you've said, but it's physical defense is very good and it makes it more viable in this physical metagame imo.
Landorus-T is a huge threat so I think that pairing Mawile with Ice type move user would be great. ( Suicune maybe? )
However, it is very great for Trick room teams and Slowking is a very good choice for a teammate.

I'm curious, why the exclusion of any of the Elemental Fang moves? I find those can sometimes come in handy with a really aggressive M-Mawile build.

For one, Mawile has access to the elemental punches, which outclass fangs. But even so, they are not as useful and you'd rarely use them, unless you can't beat Scizor or Landorus with anything else.

Another reason for why Mega Mawile doesn't usually has Fire Fang (I'v checked and Mawile can't learn Fire Punch unfortunately- only Ice and Thunder Punch) is that it is used mostly on Trick Room teams with Slowking being a very common partner that has Fire Blast. But it can be useful for hitting Aegislash as Slowking has trouble against it naturally, so I'll add it.

Last edited:
Mega Maw doesn't really wall Mega Khan or Metagross well. After Parental Bond Power-Up Punch, Khan does massive damage to Mawile with Return (given redirection deals with Mega Mawiles follow-up) although it obviously isn't really a matchup in Khan's favor in a 1v1 situation.

As for Mega Metagross, if the opponent leads Mawile against it Clear Body blocks Intimidate while Metagross usually carry Substitute to get around Sucker Punch, allowing it to hammer Mega Mawile with Iron Head with impunity for a 2HKO.

Got it. thanks. As for Metagross, Fire Fang can 2HKO Mega Metagross ( like SP). So I guess your point about Sub MegaGross actually makes Fire Fang more viable ?

Well, VGC 16 did only good things to Mega Mawile. Iron Head is now one of the best moves to handle Xerneas while P.Kyogre helps against P.Groudon.

Back