Mega Flygon Excluded from XY/ORAS Because of Artist's Block [4/21]

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I myself was kind of looking forward to mega Lunatone and mega Solrock.

I'd kind of hate to see Flygon become dragon/bug myself though that would have been the first typing of its kind.

onionsaur

Aspiring Trainer
This article is misleading as heck.

Just because you can't come up with a good design doesn't mean you have art block. They team couldn't agree on something and that's a great thing, imagine how many mega charizard rejects there are. I'd rather wait for a good design rather then a hap hazard one.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
Pikachu6319 said:
I can't agree with M. Gardevoir. It is only one of five total mega fairy types, one of which was a legendary (Diancie) and two others who were introduced in ORAS as well (Audino *eye roll* and Altaria, another 3rd gen Pokemon). That left Mawile and Gardevoir, both gen 3 Pokémon anyway. And I would think it would make more sense to have Gardevoir as a 'main' ie used by the champion Diantha than Mawile. Actually in itself it's a bit odd that three of our five fairy megas are from gen 3.
In the end I'll have to agree with you due to Wally and his main Pokémon and how things are with ASOR after XY. I was going to say that Gardevoir does indeed have French words in its name and it fits Diantha but I'd rather would want to see M.Gallade as her guardian Knight, but that would mean that Wally would get M.Gardevoir and look even more frail or on the other hand, come up with M.Roserade which doesn't make that sense since Ralts is his main Pokémon, but Wally owning a M.Gardevoir doesn't mean that he's feminine and taking into account the Pokémon protective role, it wouldn't hurt to have Wally "protected" by a female-looking Pokémon like (M.)Gardevoir is.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
scattered mind said:
TokenDuelist said:
Except Sugimori oversees most of this.

That doesn't mean they have an art block.

It has to be a group approval. To top this off, it doesn't matter what the fans think of Mega Flygon to them. They wanted it to look good and while many of you pick at the whole "Hey this mega has little design changes why can't they make one for Flygon" it should be obvious that the reason they have trouble is that Flygon itself is too well designed for them to work with.

I think it does matter to them. I mean.. It should. About the design I will refer you to Mega Venusaur and Mega Blastoise. Do you think Venusaur and Blastoise weren't too well designed?

Garchomp has a Mega, Charizard has a mega, Absol's mega has wings.

Except there's the difference

Garchomp is flat, basic, and already "cool" looking the same goes for Charizard. All they did was spice them up to look nicer and more appealing. Have you ever seen fakemons for Mega Flygon? Have you looked at Flygon's design and thought "How do I make this look better?"

Absol may have a few small additions but it's those additions that make it look different and better. A large majority of mega pokemon were simplistic.

Flygon doesn't fit the description at all because it has a lot going on for it's design. They want it to look nice, they want it to look BETTER than Flygon did.

There's the problem right there, Flygon is probably one of the best designed Pokemon in the series in my opinion and they can't figure out how to do it. Struggling with it for too long causes art block to spread and makes them want to go back and focus on that Flygon. The only logical way around it is to take a break for a while and go back to it later. With Aarune you could tell they WANTED Mega Flygon to be a thing, and it probably hurts them way more than it hurts any of the fans.

But isn't that what makes the Mega Evolution concept cool? Your Pokemon doesn't change forever+ You don't have to use the Mega form. In addition, Who says that every Mega form looks better than the regular form? I think Altaria looks way better than its Mega form.

Art block isn't just about how many people you have working on something, especially when changing a design. Sometimes something is designed too well, and Flygon is a good example of one of them. It had the whole art team stumped on what to do. Another explanation could be that there are TOO many good designs they had and they just simply couldn't pick one or combine designs without it looking bad.

Or god forbid make 2 Mega forms right?

On another note, I absolutely WANT a Mega Flygon. I think it would be such a cool Mega Pokemon to have. If I have to wait for it to happen then I'll wait. Sugimori wouldn't say something like this if he wasn't confident in his team. Things like that article can motivate them to try harder, the best thing a fandom can do is support this, not belittle them over something so human.

I don't think anyone is trying to be mean to GF's art team but yeah we know when to support them and when to criticize them and I don't see anything wrong with this.

Except I understand the criticism behind it, but the way a lot of people are acting? That's not just criticism.

I think introducing Aarune without giving us Mega Flygon was a bad idea, but their reasoning behind it makes sense. Just because other Mega Pokemon exist that you may disagree with the design of, it doesn't mean "Hey they don't care about what we want" or that they're being lazy. If they couldn't decide on a design now it doesn't mean they ever won't come up with one they like.

Honestly, they just deserve a break from all this, and probably shouldn't have said anything about it. The fact that they did, again - doesn't mean we aren't getting it.

The fandom needs to chill.

Firemaker

FC 4639-6252-3385
Setosama said:
For you guys talking about art block, it's not that they couldn't come up with a design, it's that they could not finalize one for it. They might have been tossing ideas around for it since the reveal X and Y... But given that it's been 3 years now since X and Y's reveal and a little over a year since OR/AS's reveal... =/

Seriously guys! Mega Flygon should have been finalized and DONE before MEGA GARCHOMP was even an flicker of an idea! And Aarune's dialogue when he gives you the Garchompite (which is almost not worth it because Mega Garchomp is utterly outclassed in almost every way by REGULAR Garchomp, although secret pals being able to use their abilities twice per day is nice) is just adding insult to injury. -_-

If it's how they would improve its stats or which ability they'd give it which hung them up... IDK...

But to the person who mentioned them waiting for a new ability to give it and they didn't create ANY new abilities in ORAS: Desolate Land, Primordial Sea, AND Delta Stream ALL say hello!

No, there is no excuse for them holding off Mega Flygon in ORAS, should have been one of the first Mega Evolutions they made. -_- And should have been finalized WELL before HALF of the other Mega Evolutions we currently have!

Hell, I say that HALF of the new Mega Evolutions we got in OR/AS should have been IN X AND Y! Maybe it was the less than a year time limit that gamefreak gave themselves revealing the games but... Come on! Some of you guys at gamefreak have been at this for over 20 years now! (More than 20 because the development for the original pokemon games took a long freaking time!)
I'm sorry GameFreak didn't specifically cater to your whims. If a lack of Mega Flygon is a deal breaker for you, then I suppose you're not really the fanbase GameFreak is catering toward. Sure, you can be a little disappointed, but don't forget all of the other things they did pretty well this generation.

Just because you have a lot of experience doesn't make things any faster. Art's quality may be improved with experience, but it's quantity does not and should not increase. Do we expect them to release exponentially more Pokemon each year because they have more experience? I certainly don't. Video games are an art. While I may not understand every decision they make, I respect that they designed this art to the best of their abilities.

There's a very good reason why they only released a few megas in X/Y. It gave better promotional material for ORAS.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
TokenDuelist said:

Except I understand the criticism behind it, but the way a lot of people are acting? That's not just criticism.

I think introducing Aarune without giving us Mega Flygon was a bad idea, but their reasoning behind it makes sense. Just because other Mega Pokemon exist that you may disagree with the design of, it doesn't mean "Hey they don't care about what we want" or that they're being lazy. If they couldn't decide on a design now it doesn't mean they ever won't come up with one they like.

Honestly, they just deserve a break from all this, and probably shouldn't have said anything about it. The fact that they did, again - doesn't mean we aren't getting it.

The fandom needs to chill.

That's right. They are not lazy and they do care about what the fans wants- It's just their reasoning that to me at least does not make any sense at all. Not just because other existing Mega evolutions, but also because of how many designers they have and how many time they had to come up with a good idea. I didn't know that there is such thing as a spread of art block.
However, if thats really the case then when they will show us Mega Flygon in the future I sure hope it would be worth the waiting.

Frosty

Bleh.
Leaf_Ranger said:
scattered mind said:
I wonder if they have the same explanation about Milotic..

Unfortunately yes...unknown to the world, Mega-Milotic already exists: it's Wallace and his new design! They've put so much effort, love and dedication on pimping out Wallace that they got an art block and the reason why there's no Mega Flygon! His ability is "Wonder Skin", it has an exclusive attack: "Flare Glare" that ends the effect of Sunny Day and other weather changing attacks and has 100% change of either causing a Burn, Freeze or Burn due to such glory!
177px-Omega_Ruby_Alpha_Sapphire_Wallace.png
Wallace: "I, myself, am a Mega Stone...Wallabulousnite!"

LAWL

Mitja

veteran smartass
Firemaker said:
There's a very good reason why they only released a few megas in X/Y. It gave better promotional material for ORAS.

THIS.

Notice how that sentence is just as applicable to the XY-sequels that are coming next.

"emergerd there is mega flygon in XY2 coming after all, so unexpected" /throws money at gamefreak a third time in same generation

Etc.

MegaBeedrill

This isn't even my final form!
Correct me on my logic here, but I still don't think mega flygon is coming to "Z".

Usually during the development of a new game, another new game is already in progress. Logically, by x/y they would've planned out all the megas for the generation (as seen by blaziken, who they happened to have a design already for oras). If they are only telling us of an artist block now... rather than back in x/y, I doubt they wouldn't have made their minds already with what is going to be implemented in future installments.

During oras's development, which was during x/y's release or sooner, we see flygon could've megad with the random movepool change, but that's when the block occured... whenever they started developing "Z" they would've came up with something by now.. rather than flat out announcing they have an artist block after the game is probably half way if not more through development.

Maybe next gen when a new wave of megas are thought of from scratch and they think about incomplete projects like flygon.

Maserati777

Aspiring Trainer
I just found this image, it's interesting that Flygon, Serviper, Shiftry and Ludicolo all appear on it along with the other Pokemon who had megas...

Wondering if they didn't have writers block on a few Pokemon.

maxresdefault.jpg

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
TokenDuelist said:

(...)

Since when a character needs to have some stylish and/or new Pokémon to be relevant? Even without Mega-Flygon and knowing now that he was supposed to both show SSB and M.Flygon, the Secret bases gameplay was updated and a specific character for it does no harm and is instead welcome. He isn't even an entirely new character since in Emerald there was already Route 111's guy explaining about Secret bases and giving out Secret Power, the difference being that he now has some background, appears more times and was tied with M.Flygon.

Celever

Wheeeee~
AlexanderTheAwesome said:
onionsaur said:
I move that we stop calling this ARTISTS BLOCK.

Because it's not.

....ok.... Why not?

It's completely trivial, but Artist's Block is where you can't come up with any designs at all. This is where they couldn't come up with a design they were happy with. It's a little bit different! :eek:

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Celever said:
AlexanderTheAwesome said:
....ok.... Why not?

It's completely trivial, but Artist's Block is where you can't come up with any designs at all. This is where they couldn't come up with a design they were happy with. It's a little bit different! :eek:

That's a form of artist block too so no, it isn't different.

Mitja

veteran smartass
I was about to say I'm tired reading that phrase in every post too lol.

I seriously doubt they were sitting there for days frustrated and sad that they cannot come up with a satisfying design. It's not like this was such an important matter. It's just certain fans being ridiculous about it.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
"Flygon has had the potential to have a Mega Evolution since XY, but we were unable to complete a design and so it was dropped from consideration."

Does it mean that they tried to make a design in XY? and that they never bothered to make one in ORAS?

Mitja

veteran smartass
It was just one of many pokemon who are obvious candidates for mega evolution from the beginning.

onionsaur

Aspiring Trainer
TokenDuelist said:
Celever said:

That's a form of artist block too so no, it isn't different.

While you may think it's a form of artists it really wasn't.

Having a team come up with many designs and going over them to come up with one doesn't mean you have a block at all. It means that the product they will be selling you isn't ready.

Blaming this on artists block is the WRONG IDEA. It isn't that they couldn't do it, it just wasn't up to par. That's a huge difference.

ALSO by blaming it on artists block the OP has seemingly given everyone here something to be angry about. Most of the discussion is about how hard is it to just do something or to not do something, and by scape-goating it to artists block is not true.

They MADE designs, the designs weren't good enough, they waited.

This is not the same as "Well we couldn't come up with anything because we cxan't think of it," "I'm sick I can't do it right now," "We had no inspiration," and many other things.

Mitja said:
I was about to say I'm tired reading that phrase in every post too lol.

I seriously doubt they were sitting there for days frustrated and sad that they cannot come up with a satisfying design. It's not like this was such an important matter. It's just certain fans being ridiculous about it.

ALL of this.