Mega Flygon Excluded from XY/ORAS Because of Artist's Block [4/21]

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I can understand making megas for Pokemon that 'can't' evolve any further like Flygon or Garchomp but then you have Pokemon that were just backed into that corner because of things like split evolution. Like Slowbro having one but not Slowking, where any rules of maxed potential during normal evolution get thrown out the window where mega evolution is concerned. But then you have Pokemon like Audino or Pinsir or Heracross where the evolution 'rule' just doesn't even apply.

I'm not sure fan love is the only reason though. For ones like Mewtwo or Charizard sure, but who looks at Audino or Slowbro and says, "Everyone loves this Pokemon so much we just have to do something else for it."

Twizzy

Aspiring Trainer
It's a little disappointing that Flygon didn't get a mega, but I guess it's better to wait and get a good design then to have a rushed one that lots of people complain about. I'd prefer if GF would focus on normal evos instead of megas tho.

Mitja

veteran smartass
Pikachu6319 said:
I'm not sure fan love is the only reason though. For ones like Mewtwo or Charizard sure, but who looks at Audino or Slowbro and says, "Everyone loves this Pokemon so much we just have to do something else for it."

Of course it's not. Choosing what could get a Mega evolution is sometimes fanservice-biased, sometimes because they have a cool twist/idea for a cetrain pokemon, sometimes it's because of plot-relevance, sometimes because a pokemon is not popular but has potential to be, sometimes because it can't evolve further regularly but there is still some theme that can be expanded on....or any combination of those.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Sometimes I wonder if people even understand art block when they complain about this.

Art Block is a nasty thing.

Maserati777

Aspiring Trainer
It's a shame they can't search "Mega Flygon" into google images, there's a lot of good ideas on there. They could even use to hire them since the fanmade designs will probably end up being better than the real one...

I question whether some Pokemon need a mega evolution from a design standpoint. I mean there's a lot of cool popular Pokemon that are sort of like mascots for Pokemon, Flygon, Absol, Garchomp, Arcanine. These Pokemon are like cashcows for Pokemon and mega evolutions are essentially just Pokemon's way of milking these Pokemon for more money. Audino and Slowbro are really not these Pokemon.

I question whether most people even know Audino exists or what gen it is from. It's clear they ran out of mega ideas after awhile. I mean Sableye is just holding a giant version of it's ruby and Kangkaskhan fights beside its unexplainable plothole.

Mega Charizard, Mega Gengar and Mega Blastoise are just cool, fresh designs. Mega Altaria kind of got the Tangrowth/Magnezone/Electivire treatment, where they just made it fatter. Mega Audino got the short end of the stick, they just drew some clothes on it and called it day. But did Audino really need a mega, it's not a famous Pokemon, it didn't get an evolution in the first place, probably because they didn't have much to work with... They could have gone the "fat" route but whats the point? there's never going to be an Audino Ex Box (without the mega existing). They might as well made a Mega Lumineon.

I think the main reason I'd want a Mega Flygon is because there's be a better chance we'd get a Full Art Flygon in a future set.

Setosama

Mew Trainer
For you guys talking about art block, it's not that they couldn't come up with a design, it's that they could not finalize one for it. They might have been tossing ideas around for it since the reveal X and Y... But given that it's been 3 years now since X and Y's reveal and a little over a year since OR/AS's reveal... =/

Seriously guys! Mega Flygon should have been finalized and DONE before MEGA GARCHOMP was even an flicker of an idea! And Aarune's dialogue when he gives you the Garchompite (which is almost not worth it because Mega Garchomp is utterly outclassed in almost every way by REGULAR Garchomp, although secret pals being able to use their abilities twice per day is nice) is just adding insult to injury. -_-

If it's how they would improve its stats or which ability they'd give it which hung them up... IDK...

But to the person who mentioned them waiting for a new ability to give it and they didn't create ANY new abilities in ORAS: Desolate Land, Primordial Sea, AND Delta Stream ALL say hello!

No, there is no excuse for them holding off Mega Flygon in ORAS, should have been one of the first Mega Evolutions they made. -_- And should have been finalized WELL before HALF of the other Mega Evolutions we currently have!

Hell, I say that HALF of the new Mega Evolutions we got in OR/AS should have been IN X AND Y! Maybe it was the less than a year time limit that gamefreak gave themselves revealing the games but... Come on! Some of you guys at gamefreak have been at this for over 20 years now! (More than 20 because the development for the original pokemon games took a long freaking time!)

Mitja

veteran smartass
Setosama said:
But to the person who mentioned them waiting for a new ability to give it and they didn't create ANY new abilities in ORAS: Desolate Land, Primordial Sea, AND Delta Stream ALL say hello!

I am aware of those. They're fancy new exclusive signature moves for the mascots, they're also the only ones who got NEW moves.
We are talking about regular Mega evolutions, not the big guys on the cover. Check other Megas, none of them got anything original, just overused more of the same gimmicks XY already did: Magic Bounce, Pixilate, Aerilate, Tough Claws...

Clearly they're not okay with introducing new abilities just for regular Megas mid-gen. I'm not saying they can't, but that they won't for some reason unless it's an important plot-related legendary.

I wouldn't expect new abilities for Megas in XY2, except for whatever Zygarde is getting.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I would agree with not seeing any new non-Zygarde abilities, unless for some reason they want to make primal versions of Xerneas and Yveltal. It's pretty unlikely but it would be kind of interesting to see primal reversions of Pokémon other than Kyogre and Groudon.

MegaBeedrill

This isn't even my final form!
They can still make up a new ability. Saying they should only stick to new gimmicks for the box legends basicly ignored parental bond kangaskhan who got a special ability.

Logically, if they can still include new abilities, moves, and items for the box legends, they can still implement a new ability for flygon with it being uncompatable with the other installments. Coding wise, it makes literaly 0 difference. Plus, they can use whatever ability for flygon to give to something else. (Aerialite was given to multiple megas and megas only.. give insectilite or whatever to a few more megas introduced besides flygon).

There's also the fact they don't have to give flygon anything much either.. they can simply give it sand stream or tinted lens, or even arena trap and give him a buff in this and that stat. Whatever design they had in mind and gave up on, they shouldn't have stopped it, but come up with something else.. this was just sheer lack of creatively in the mega flygon's appearence rather than what they would do with it from a playable aspect.

Setosama

Mew Trainer
Mitja said:
I am aware of those. They're fancy new exclusive signature moves for the mascots, they're also the only ones who got NEW moves.
We are talking about regular Mega evolutions, not the big guys on the cover. Check other Megas, none of them got anything original, just overused more of the same gimmicks XY already did: Magic Bounce, Pixilate, Aerilate, Tough Claws...

Clearly they're not okay with introducing new abilities just for regular Megas mid-gen. I'm not saying they can't, but that they won't for some reason unless it's an important plot-related legendary.

I wouldn't expect new abilities for Megas in XY2, except for whatever Zygarde is getting.

Just because they did not do it does not mean that they are not okay with doing something like that or that they won't do it. Hell, they changed up the movsets for a bunch of Pokemon in OR/AS so that's pretty dang close to giving them new signature moves IMO. That being said, I too would not expect them to do something like that BUT that does not mean that it could not happen ever outside of a cover Legendary. (Also, if they don't do a straight up Pokemon Z, I predict Pokemon XZ and Pokemon YZ. "Z" kinda looks like the number 2 and that way they can focus them on Zygarde because, lets be honest: IT SCREAMS THAT IT'S GONNA GET A MEGA (or at the VERY least a new form)!

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
TokenDuelist said:
Sometimes I wonder if people even understand art block when they complain about this.

So how many people can have an art block at the same time and it would still make sense?
They have more than 1 person to design a Pokemon.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
Pikachu6319 said:
I can understand making megas for Pokemon that 'can't' evolve any further like Flygon or Garchomp but then you have Pokemon that were just backed into that corner because of things like split evolution. Like Slowbro having one but not Slowking, where any rules of maxed potential during normal evolution get thrown out the window where mega evolution is concerned. But then you have Pokemon like Audino or Pinsir or Heracross where the evolution 'rule' just doesn't even apply.

It certainly isn't just for fan love, hence why I said some, and Mitja already gave plenty of reasons to make a mega, but the ones that were made by fan love could've avoided some nonsense, like for example:
- Charizard having two forms when its part of a starter's trio and it doesn't have any link to life or destruction that justifies being spilt into two and versions' exclusives,
- the same goes for Mewtwo,
- having Mega Blaziken in XY, when it's also a part of a starters trio, we already had Charizard - another Fyre starter - so it gets worse when it comes to types' "battle" and to end it, ASOR was coming, so it's ridiculous to have it introduced in XY,
- Mega-Gardevoir for the same reasons as M.Blaziken about XY and ASOR.

GF wanted to bring older fans aboard and that's why the fans were treated, but too bad that it was ill implemented.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I can certainly agree that Charizard didn't need two mega forms. Nor did Mewtwo and for that matter it could even be argued it never needed even one in the first place. On reflection of course I agree it seems ridiculous to introduce M Blaziken in XY when ORAS was going to follow with the other two starters getting megas.

I can't agree with M. Gardevoir. It is only one of five total mega fairy types, one of which was a legendary (Diancie) and two others who were introduced in ORAS as well (Audino *eye roll* and Altaria, another 3rd gen Pokemon). That left Mawile and Gardevoir, both gen 3 Pokémon anyway. And I would think it would make more sense to have Gardevoir as a 'main' ie used by the champion Diantha than Mawile. Actually in itself it's a bit odd that three of our five fairy megas are from gen 3.

Too an extent one can't blame GF for wanting to treat older fans that way but I agree the implementation could have been better.

pixelcinema

Aspiring Trainer
They still could have made mega Flygon, I mean think about all the cool fan creations. I'm sure the artists would have loved GF to use there designs.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
No, I think it should be said they still can make Mega Flygon. I'm quiet sure when we get Z or X2/Y2 whatever they want to call the new game it will come with new mega evolutions. It may not be Flygon granted, but then again it could be.

Friezy

Super Saiyan 3
This couldn't have gone better, now instead of getting a Mega Audino quality Mega, we can potentially witness Flygon with more thought put into its design. I wonder what its gimmicks would be though, maybe bug/dragon type? That'd be pretty cool.
But, on that note, I wonder what kept them from making other megas in Hoenn, whilst the list was good, it wasn't the best.
Seviper/Zangoose anyone?

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
scattered mind said:
TokenDuelist said:

So how many people can have an art block at the same time and it would still make sense?

Except Sugimori oversees most of this.

It has to be a group approval. To top this off, it doesn't matter what the fans think of Mega Flygon to them. They wanted it to look good and while many of you pick at the whole "Hey this mega has little design changes why can't they make one for Flygon" it should be obvious that the reason they have trouble is that Flygon itself is too well designed for them to work with.

Garchomp has a Mega, Charizard has a mega, Absol's mega has wings.

Except there's the difference

Garchomp is flat, basic, and already "cool" looking the same goes for Charizard. All they did was spice them up to look nicer and more appealing. Have you ever seen fakemons for Mega Flygon? Have you looked at Flygon's design and thought "How do I make this look better?"

Absol may have a few small additions but it's those additions that make it look different and better. A large majority of mega pokemon were simplistic.

Flygon doesn't fit the description at all because it has a lot going on for it's design. They want it to look nice, they want it to look BETTER than Flygon did.

There's the problem right there, Flygon is probably one of the best designed Pokemon in the series in my opinion and they can't figure out how to do it. Struggling with it for too long causes art block to spread and makes them want to go back and focus on that Flygon. The only logical way around it is to take a break for a while and go back to it later. With Aarune you could tell they WANTED Mega Flygon to be a thing, and it probably hurts them way more than it hurts any of the fans.

Mega Flygon is likely not the only Pokemon that has this issue, anything that was on the trademark list could have had a mega design we haven't seen. Mega Vaporeon? That would be neat. Mega Zekrom? Holy crap I'd love to see that. Mega Entei? Heck yeah I'd love to see that too.

Art block isn't just about how many people you have working on something, especially when changing a design. Sometimes something is designed too well, and Flygon is a good example of one of them. It had the whole art team stumped on what to do. Another explanation could be that there are TOO many good designs they had and they just simply couldn't pick one or combine designs without it looking bad.

So yes, I believe if even the fans themselves have trouble designing a good mega design for Flygon, even the really good fakemon artists, then Game Freak's staff can too.

This is honestly how I see it, because I'm not the only one who sees it.

On another note, I absolutely WANT a Mega Flygon. I think it would be such a cool Mega Pokemon to have. If I have to wait for it to happen then I'll wait. Sugimori wouldn't say something like this if he wasn't confident in his team. Things like that article can motivate them to try harder, the best thing a fandom can do is support this, not belittle them over something so human.

Edit: To be honest, if you ever follow any of the artists that are on Game Freak's crew - it's worth noting that a lot of them should be capable of designing Mega Flygon and even they got stumped. Hopefully after all this they get motivated to make Mega Flygon. Heck who knows - maybe this is a sign that we will get it in the next game.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
TokenDuelist said:
scattered mind said:

Except Sugimori oversees most of this.

That doesn't mean they have an art block.

It has to be a group approval. To top this off, it doesn't matter what the fans think of Mega Flygon to them. They wanted it to look good and while many of you pick at the whole "Hey this mega has little design changes why can't they make one for Flygon" it should be obvious that the reason they have trouble is that Flygon itself is too well designed for them to work with.

I think it does matter to them. I mean.. It should. About the design I will refer you to Mega Venusaur and Mega Blastoise. Do you think Venusaur and Blastoise weren't too well designed?

Garchomp has a Mega, Charizard has a mega, Absol's mega has wings.

Except there's the difference

Garchomp is flat, basic, and already "cool" looking the same goes for Charizard. All they did was spice them up to look nicer and more appealing. Have you ever seen fakemons for Mega Flygon? Have you looked at Flygon's design and thought "How do I make this look better?"

Absol may have a few small additions but it's those additions that make it look different and better. A large majority of mega pokemon were simplistic.

Flygon doesn't fit the description at all because it has a lot going on for it's design. They want it to look nice, they want it to look BETTER than Flygon did.

There's the problem right there, Flygon is probably one of the best designed Pokemon in the series in my opinion and they can't figure out how to do it. Struggling with it for too long causes art block to spread and makes them want to go back and focus on that Flygon. The only logical way around it is to take a break for a while and go back to it later. With Aarune you could tell they WANTED Mega Flygon to be a thing, and it probably hurts them way more than it hurts any of the fans.

But isn't that what makes the Mega Evolution concept cool? Your Pokemon doesn't change forever+ You don't have to use the Mega form. In addition, Who says that every Mega form looks better than the regular form? I think Altaria looks way better than its Mega form.

Art block isn't just about how many people you have working on something, especially when changing a design. Sometimes something is designed too well, and Flygon is a good example of one of them. It had the whole art team stumped on what to do. Another explanation could be that there are TOO many good designs they had and they just simply couldn't pick one or combine designs without it looking bad.

Or god forbid make 2 Mega forms right?

On another note, I absolutely WANT a Mega Flygon. I think it would be such a cool Mega Pokemon to have. If I have to wait for it to happen then I'll wait. Sugimori wouldn't say something like this if he wasn't confident in his team. Things like that article can motivate them to try harder, the best thing a fandom can do is support this, not belittle them over something so human.

I don't think anyone is trying to be mean to GF's art team but yeah we know when to support them and when to criticize them and I don't see anything wrong with this.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
scattered mind said:
I wonder if they have the same explanation about Milotic..

Unfortunately yes...unknown to the world, Mega-Milotic already exists: it's Wallace and his new design! They've put so much effort, love and dedication on pimping out Wallace that they got an art block and the reason why there's no Mega Flygon! His ability is "Wonder Skin", it has an exclusive attack: "Flare Glare" that ends the effect of Sunny Day and other weather changing attacks and has 100% change of either causing a Burn, Freeze or Burn due to such glory!
177px-Omega_Ruby_Alpha_Sapphire_Wallace.png
Wallace: "I, myself, am a Mega Stone...Wallabulousnite!"