RMT Mega Beedrill Team

SaiScott95

TCG Fanboy
Hello everyone, SaiScott here! I've come seeking advice for my OU team built around one of my favorite Mega Evolutions, Mega Beedrill. This team has a hyper-offensive play-style with the overall goal being to wear the opponent down with all the switch initiative attacks and finish off with sweep.

Click here to check out my team revamp video! Special thanks to everyone who helped improve this team!

Want to try this team out? Click here and copy this into the team building on Pokémon Showdown.

With that, let's get on with the team!

015-m.png

Spiral (Beedrill) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Protect

Mega Beedrill is the focus point of the team. With the switch initiative provided by the support Pokémon I selected for this team, the plan is to wear the opponent's team down enough to sweep.

U-Turn is our main attack, and in my personal opinion, is what makes Mega Beedrill so amazing. Paired with the 140 base speed, it gives our Mega Beedrill some pseudo defense by allowing it to escape battle without a scratch! Poison Jab is the other STAB move, and is our most powerful attack. Not much else to say here. Drill Run covers Steel, Poison, and can hit non-levitating Ghosts, all of which resist or are immune to U-Turn and Poison Jab.

Lastly, we have Protect so we can safely Mega Evolve our Beedrill, whose speed is horrible in its base form. Be careful when using Protect, as the opponent may take advantage of it and set up or switch.

625.png

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Bisharp is the Knock Off user for the team. It's also the only priority user on the team with Sucker Punch. we also have Iron Head for our next STAB move, and with our jolly nature it might net us a few flinches. Finally, we have Stealth Rock to punish the opponent even further for switching out.

645-s.png

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock off
- Stone Edge

Landorus-Therian here rocking Earthquake for some STAB, and Stone Edge for some nice coverage. We also have U-Turn to keep up the switch initiative in the team. Finally, this gives us our second Knock Off user for the team.

I originally ran a more defensive set, but this one helps deal with Diancie which is a HUGE threat to this team.
479-w.png

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

With Talonflame flying around in OU, we need Rotom-Wash. It's possibly one of the best Pokémon to pair with Mega Beedrill, actually. Has more switch initiative with Volt Switch, and has some staying power with Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split.

462.png

Prime (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mega Beedrill hates hazards almost as much as it hates Talonflame. That said, Magnezone was added into the team to help trap and kill Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory. In addition to that, it adds in to our Volt Turn strategy, and it's slow enough to help us safely bring in Mega Beedrill! Mega Beedrill usually only can come in when your Pokémon dies, so this is a nice second way to bring it in.

381.png

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

The team really needs a way to deal with entry hazards. I originally had Tentacruel here, but Latios does the job so much better. Latios also fits the team's hyper-offensive playstyle, which is honestly what this team needs to stick with for the most part. This team also struggles against Ferrothorn if the opponent takes out Magnezone, so I decided I wanted Hidden Power [Fire] on the team to help deal with it.

Last edited:
RE: Mega Beedril [OU] Team!

If you do replace Tentacreuel, it should be something that can use Rapid Spin/Defog - with Mega Beedrill's defence stats, SR taking away 25% of its health whenever it switches in is not going to do it any favours.

If you don't want something with a Ground weakness.. maybe something like Latias or Skarmory?

Yeah, I knew I needed a spinner/defogger. Just wasn't sure what to use there. Something like Latias and Skarmory work amazing in that spot though, so I'll consider them. Thanks!

Nice Volt-Turn team right here :)
Life Orb Tyranitar with Unnerve will get worn down very quickly after recoil damage no recovery and no sandstorm sp.def boost. I will recommend replacing him for a Life Orb Bisharp as it can Pursuit but also set up with Swords Dance. You don't have any boosting mons and it is something that you can do well with MBeedrill weakening the opposing team with Rotom-W Magnezone and Landorus-T creating a nice Volt-Turn ultra core. Bisharp also have Sucker Punch as a great priority move which again your team lacks.
Latias is a fine choice instead of Tentacruel as you can use healing wish to give another chance for a teammate as you don't have any recovery in your team outside of Leftovers.
Speaking of recovery:
Rotom-W - Having Thunderbolt is not very recommended instead of a recovery move like Pain Split or Rest with Chesto Berry specially when you have Magnezone running Thunderbolt already.
You have a lot of Volt-Turn users in your team (4/6) so I would really recommend you to use a set up sweeper for mid to late game if you are not going to use Bisharp.

Why do you have max speed on a Lando that isn't scarf? Also is there anything in particular that you have specially defensive Rotom for? I much prefer physically defensive for things like BD Azu and TFlame. I agree with the above posters that you should use Lati@s and Bisharp over Tenta and T-Tar.

scattered mind said:
Nice Volt-Turn team right here :)
Life Orb Tyranitar with Unnerve will get worn down very quickly after recoil damage no recovery and no sandstorm sp.def boost. I will recommend replacing him for a Life Orb Bisharp as it can Pursuit but also set up with Swords Dance. You don't have any boosting mons and it is something that you can do well with MBeedrill weakening the opposing team with Rotom-W Magnezone and Landorus-T creating a nice Volt-Turn ultra core. Bisharp also have Sucker Punch as a great priority move which again your team lacks.
Latias is a fine choice instead of Tentacruel as you can use healing wish to give another chance for a teammate as you don't have any recovery in your team outside of Leftovers.
Speaking of recovery:
Rotom-W - Having Thunderbolt is not very recommended instead of a recovery move like Pain Split or Rest with Chesto Berry specially when you have Magnezone running Thunderbolt already.
You have a lot of Volt-Turn users in your team (4/6) so I would really recommend you to use a set up sweeper for mid to late game if you are not going to use Bisharp.
I'm honestly not a fan of Rest/Chesto sets. Though I wouldn't mind throwing Pain Split on there, so I'll go ahead and do that.

With Latias resisting fighting and being immune to ground, I don't mind having Bisharp, so I'll go ahead and throw that in the team as well.
What natures and such do you suggest for Latias and Bisharp? I'm assuming Adamant on Bisharp, but I've never used it before so unsure. Definitely unsure about Latias, as I generally don't use legends. Willing to make an exception for once, though.

Cinesra said:
Why do you have max speed on a Lando that isn't scarf? Also is there anything in particular that you have specially defensive Rotom for? I much prefer physically defensive for things like BD Azu and TFlame. I agree with the above posters that you should use Lati@s and Bisharp over Tenta and T-Tar.

What would you suggest those speed EVs be transferred to?

Anyway, Rotom is Specially Defensive because my Tentacruel was Physically Defensive. Though switching them around woulda been a good idea, so kinda feel dumb for not doing that... >.>

Hey SaiScott! I give you props for using Mega Beedrill. It's one of the more underrated new Megas and putting it in a VoltTurn team is one way to make it shine.

This is a solid team with a well-defined gameplan, but as others have described, there are some areas that can be improved on.

Beedrill: There's nothing to do further on this set. Knock Off is an option over Drill Run, but Beedrill's teammates cover this well enough.

Tyranitar: Changing this to a Sand Stream Tyranitar equipped with a Choice Scarf would be an option, but I also agree that Bisharp would be a better fit for this team.

Bisharp @ Life Orb / BlackGlasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit / Swords Dance / Aerial Ace

That's what I would run. Pursuit is nice to trap Lati@s, though there are other options. Swords Dance can be used to create the set-up sweeper that your team currently lacks, and Aerial Ace can do a nice job of luring out Chesnaught and Keldeo, whom the Latias set I recommend may not be around to check due to having Healing Wish should you opt for it. I am a personal fan of Aerial Ace, but you likely would need to the first two options.

Landorus-T: The maximized speed on a defensive Landorus-T doesn't have much benefit. You need the Defense investment to do what Landorus-T does best - being a physical pivot and tank.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

With this spread, you outrun neutral Magnezone and Rotom-W and can tank an HP Ice from Mega Manectric while still walling many physically offensive Pokemon.

Rotom-W: The physically defensive variant of Rotom-W is better suited for this metagame - you need to be able to handle the two Cinesra mentioned in addition to stuff like Mega Pinsir (Latias is also an ideal special tank anyways).

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This spread minimizes Stealth Rock damage with 248 HP and can outrun Belly Drum Azumarill, one of the threats that Rotom-W handles best. Pain Split is something I would recommend over Thunderbolt, as scattered mind proposed, since Rotom-W has no other form of reliable recovery.

Magnezone: I would switch around the HP and SpA investments on your EV spread in order to make the most of that sexy 130 stat and Choice Specs. Otherwise, all is good.

Tentacruel: Overall, Latias is the perfect glue for this team, with Levitate, a Fighting-resistance, special bulk, Defog, Healing Wish, a Dragon STAB, and so on. Tentacruel is rather niche and compounds a couple of the weaknesses of this team as others have mentioned - in addition, Tentacruel's utility here is outclassed by Latias' in many areas, so I agree with this change.

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish / Roost

This spread is a combination of both special bulk and power, with enough to beat both Thundurus-I and Landorus-I one-on-one among other things. The debate between Healing Wish and Roost is the only big decision you should have to make on Latias - this depends on each's relative utility. HW is great for the rest of the team (e.g. Beedrill worn down by Stealth Rock coming in off Latias to clean up), while Roost helps with Latias' staying power (which you may value more due to the wide spectrum of threats she covers for you).

These are relatively standard sets, so I recommend them, but changes can be made indeed. Hope this helps and best of luck with your team! :)

Alright, changes have been made guys! Updated the team with the new pokemon, new stats and movesets, and even added descriptions and images for fun. How's it look?

I personally would run a scarfed lando set instead of a defensive one for this team.. you lack any fast revenge killers outside trappers and beedrill, the later being extremely frail and can't switch in and the other two being dead weight depending on the team match up. Atleast a scarfed lando can threaten opposing scarfed threats, setup sweepers like zard, and faster threats like greninja (getting banned) and mega sceptile without relying on a speed tie. Mega Diancie tears this team up pretty bad too.. nothing on it can switch into diancie's standard set, beedrill only 2HKO's with drill run (poison jab does the same when you factor stab+adapt) giving her some sweeping potential.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock off
- Stone Edge

The EVs speed creep +1 mega charizard x.

Shed shell is seeing an increasing rise in usage because of trappers rising in oras.. a shed shell ferrothorn/skarmory completely ruins this entire team unless you land a knock off and mags is still alive.. turning games kinda match up reliant. I'd try carrying a back up solution to this as if magnezone goes it looks like the entire team is walled as long as ferrothorn is healthy.. skarmory is still handled by rotom-w.

I would switch blackglasses on bisharp for sash, you're either going to KO something or you're not, sash is atleast a little more forgiving and can seriously threaten pokemon like landos that switch in thinking they can survive a SP and OHKO with EQ. Bisharp doesn't nessecarly stop a particular mon from shreading the team either.., he's pretty much there for unreliable priority and pursuit trapping no? Defog scizor might actually be a bit better preforming 2 of bisharp's roles and freeing up latias for another fast special attacking revenge killer like latios or scarf keldeo. He even carries u-turn himself adding a little more to the momentum war.

Bad thing about beedrill teams is that they're pretty copy and paste.. he really relies on the syngery with certain pokemon much like baton pass teams need this and that mon to support. I've litteraly seen three games in a row with the same exact pokemon on the team.

With your team, if you lose a certain pokemon it pretty much gets ripped to streads by certain threats. If beedrill dies, lopunny, altaria, and sceptile go to town. If magnezone dies then ferro walls everything terribly. If lando dies this team can be swept my mega zard x if rotom isn't healthy. (With roost bisharp won't revenge kill) etc. etc. etc.

I love this team ! just did a quick battle :

showdown

Too bad I didn't get to use Mega Beedrill lol
I kind of feel like this is more of an Hyper offensive team. I feel like I am putting a great pressure on my opponent and so I was thinking during the battle " I wish I had Latios instead of Latias"
Worth to try :)

Edit: I also agree with MegaBeedrill about Landorus-T from the same reason I want to try Latios - I just think this team can work best as offensive as possible.

This is a very good M-Beedrill team! I agree with putting Latios. For Offensive Pressure but keeping Defensive Lando so you can keep rocks to break sashes and Multi-Scale Dragonite.! :)

Maybe Scarf Magnezone could provide a RK that can deal with Mega Diancie without RP? Lure Latios could be a good replacement for Latias to lure in Heatrans and Ferrothorns and kill with EQ and HP Fire (used over Psyshock and Recover). Unaware Clefable(252HP/160Def/96SpDef with a Calm nature is enough to counter both at once, iirc) can provide further defense against M Sceptile and Altaria (maybe M Diancie, too, I haven't run any calcs.) Amoongus and Tflame could work, too. If you were to go with one of those I'd recommend replacing Bisharp.

Scarf Modest Magnezone only hits 328 Speed, Naive Diancie hits 350 (assuming we're including all 252 EVs in the speed stats)

Timid magnezone does hit base 360 outspeeding.. but unforunantly he loses out on ALOT of damage with his weak base power moves. Even ferro can live a hidden power fire and lay hazards down reguardless.

So I see
... Switching to Scarf Lando
... Changing Latias to Latios
... Changing Bisharp to Scizor
I'll be considering all these changes and updating the team later on.

Anything I can do to deal with Ferrothorn in case Magnezone dies?

I don't know if Scizor will do its job as a defogger without his mega stone. The bulk that Mega Scizor has is necessary for Defog Scizor to perform well and Bisharp is a great partner for Mega Beedrill.
Can someone give a set for a non Mega Defog Scizor? I am not familiar with this

If you are worried about Ferrothorn you can make Latios with hp Fire:

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

You can handle Mega Diancie with CS Lando :
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 326-386 (107.2 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. +2 252 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 164-194 (53.9 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Alright. In that case, I think I'll switch to a Scarf'd Lando as suggested, keep Bisharp, and switch Latias for Latios.

I still think Defensive Lando brings more to this team. Stealth Rocks are a great thing to have on any team and and a slower U-turn user is great. If you U-turn has the second move in the turn you can safely bring in any Poke and force a switch or cause heavy damage. On my M-Beedrill team slower VoltTurn users are sometimes better.

Alright. If someone would, please list the pros and cons of scarf and defensive lando on this team. After playing a bit, I'm somewhat missing the rocks, but I'm loving the scarf...

Scarf Lando-T:
Handles Diancie (big threat to you)
Lack of fast Pokemon save Beedrill, very good Scarf user
Takes out set-up sweepers like Charizard reliably and fast stuff (special attackers like Gren and Sceptile, Lops)
Still has Intimidate but less bulk
More threatening pivot but predictable

Defensive Lando-T:
Slower U-turn to bring in Beedrill safely
Main physical tank, more bulk
Easy SR fit
Stops a lot of set-up sweepers
Doesn't cover fast special attackers like Scarf does

Overall, I do think Scarf Lando-T helps you out more than the defensive variant because of the stuff that otherwise walks all over you. It may be more comfortable to run the defensive one, but the Scarf one has a lot of utility and offensive power that you need.

You could abuse Bisharp's ability to force switches and fit Stealth Rock on it over Pursuit (or Knock Off given Lando-T having it but I'd test that first). I've used SR (w/ and w/out Sash) Bisharp before, and he's pretty fun and unexpected. That's an option when using Scarf Lando-T. Either that or do without SR I suppose, but that's not exactly advisable because things like Pinsir and Talonflame can't exactly be running around freely when Lando-T isn't as bulky.

Back