• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Medicham/Regirock-EX

ThePokemonSensei

ThePokemonSensei
I have been testing with a Medicham/Regirock-EX deck, and was just wondering what everyone thinks about it. Here is the list.

Pokemon
  • 3 Regirock-EX FCO 43
  • 2 Carbink FCO 50
  • 2 Carbink BREAK FCO 51
  • 2 Lucario-EX FUF 54
  • 3 Meditite PCL 79
  • 3 Medicham PCL 81
Trainers
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 3 N
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 3 Korrina
  • 1 Fighting Stadium
  • 3 Focus Sash
  • 1 Switch
  • 1 Scorched Earth
  • 3 Battle Compressor
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Town Map
Energy
  • 6 Fighting Energy
  • 4 Strong Energy
Total Cards: 60
Any advice is appreciated!

3 things:

1.) It would be in your best interest to run Zygarde-EX over Lucario-EX. All your other main attackers have low HP, which makes them more vulnerable to Trevenant, and Lucario-EX being weak to Psychic doesn't help the problem. The deck may have a few more problems with draw consistency, but it's better than being stuck completely against item lock.

2.) Carbink BREAK is the cornerstone for this deck, and odds are, you'll always want good chances of having it set up, so it may be better to run a 3-3 line of it ant its BREAK and possibly even run Super Rod over Sacred Ash. Most of the time, you'll be streaming Strong Energies over regular energies anyway, so Super Rodding regular Energies back is of little consequence to you.

3.) Run Hex Maniac. It may shut down Safeguard, but it keeps you from being one-sidedly destroyed by Aegislash-EX.

I too run a variety of Fighting decks now and offer a few thoughts for your consideration:
  • Why no Hawlucha (FFI)? This is a free-retreating Basic Fighting Pokemon that can terrorize opponent's EXs.
  • Running 1 AZ would also be quite helpful in removing a Pokemon from your board (which can easily happen to your Regirock EX - stuck in the Active position - despite your Float Stone and Switch).
  • I concur with @Sabaku in that Zygarde EX should be incorporated into the deck as another solid, 1-energy attacking Fighting Pokemon; but, I do not think Zygarde EXs should replace the Lucario EXs entirely. While Zygarde EX also offers Weakness diversity, Lucario EX's combined attacks are superior versus Zygarde EX's combined attacks, IMO.
  • Incorporating 1 Max Potion extends the "life" of your Focus Sash'd Lucario EX and/or Zygarde EX 2x. I've found the Max Potion to be really helpful.
  • Only 2 Stadiums seem quite inadequate. No doubt, you'll lose the Stadium "war" in most games. Running a minimum of 3 works best, IMO.
  • Running 1 Energy Keeper Carbink can also be quite helpful.
  • What is your game strategy? I hesitate offering suggested deck changes without understanding your plan.

Last edited:
I too run a variety of Fighting decks now and ofer a few thoughts for your consideration:
  • Why no Hawlucha (FFI)? This is a free-retreating Basic Fighting Pokemon that can terrorize opponent's EXs.
  • Running 1 AZ would also be quite helpful in removing a Pokemon from your board (which can easily happen to your Regirock EX - stuck in the Active position - despite your Float Stone and Switch).
  • I concur with @Sabaku in that Zygarde EX should be incorporated into the deck as another solid, 1-energy attacking Fighting Pokemon; but, I do not think Zygarde EXs should replace the Lucario EXs entirely. While Zygarde EX also offers Weakness diversity, Lucario EX's combined attacks are superior versus Zygarde EX's combined attacks, IMO.
  • Incorporating 1 Max Potion extends the "life" of your Focus Sash'd Lucario EX and/or Zygarde EX 2x. I've found the Max Potion to be really helpful.
  • Only 2 Stadiums seem quite inadequate. No doubt, you'll lose the Stadium "war" in most games. Running a minimum of 3 works best, IMO.
  • Running 1 Energy Keeper Carbink can also be quite helpful.
  • What is your game strategy? I hesitate offering suggested deck changes without understanding your plan.
i try to setup Regirocks on my bench, and then attack with Lucario-EX and Carbink BREAK until I power up Medicham.

There's something important I should mention about Medicham/Carbink. As a whole, so long as XY Greninja is alive and breathing, Medicham/Carbink more or less autolosses against Greninja BREAK...assuming you're playing under PTCGO circumstances.

So long as you're using Medicham, if you go first, there exists a very realistic chance that you can KO all of the Pokemon on your opponents side before (s)he can even use Water Duplicates. Between Medicham, Strong Energy, Regirocks, Muscle Bands, and Float Stones aiding your retreats, you have a great chance of winning by Turn 2. If you're doing timed tournaments irl, even if you go second, you have good chances of taking an early win in Game 2 and stalling out for Game 3 to either prolong things until sudden death (where getting 1 prize off of Froakie/Frogadier/Jirachi is an easy task) or win by timeout because you got an explosive start with Medicham.

IMO, the deck, as is, seems "slow" to setup, IMO. Further, depending upon your starting Pokémon, it could be easily KOd or heavily damaged.

You also need to get the your Meditite and Carbink into play as soon as possible, as well.

Following are some suggested changes:

-1 Ultra Ball - 2 should be sufficient with running 3 Korrina and no Shaymin EX
-3 Battle Compressor - not "high" priority in light of other cards
-1 Float Stone - 1 will hopefully be sufficient
-1 Town Map - after playing a deck for a while, you should know what's in your prizes

+1 AZ - alternative, Supporter-based method of removing a Pokémon from your board (e.g., "stuck" Regirock in Active position while you're Item-locked
+1 Brigette - to help setup your bench
+2 Level Ball - to help setup your bench and can also get Medicham
+1 Max Potion - helps to extend usage of Focus Sash'd Pokémon
+1 VS Seeker - should be maxed-out for maximum Supporter utilization

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Back