Contest May's Create-a-Card: Gym Leaders! (Fan Vote Results)

Doh, made a stupid mistake. Ah well, still had a fun go of it. Lookin forward to more of these

EXPLANATION

Oh, I see now, if you're counting ties as a favorable outcome, that does clear things up, and then it makes a lot of sense to use that mechanic.

I also like how a knowledgeable player needs to keep two of cissy's pokemon in play, no more, no less, to improve their chances, so it forces a balancing act and delays their development, instead of filling their bench; it's so subtle, and people without knowledge of probability will probably fall for it.

Anyway, now that I know I wasn't so much off the mark, but that you were right too, and in fact it is quite useful, I love it; maybe I'll... borrow, it sometime; good luck!

Oh, and sorry for making you get reacquainted with the binomial theorem. I know how those things are.

Okay, here's my entry:

Grant's Tyrantrum-EX
Basic Pokemon
HP: 190
Type: Fighting

Ability: Ancient Reckoning

When your opponent attaches a Special Energy to one of his or her Pokemon from their hand, flip a coin.
If heads, put 2 damage counters on that Pokemon.

[F][F][C][C] Crushing Jaw 80+ Damage

If there is a Stadium card in play, this attack does 70 more damage and discards a basic energy off of the opposing Pokemon (your opponent chooses the basic energy discarded).
Discard the Stadium card.

Weakness: Fairy (2x)
Resistence: None
Retreat: 3
Pokemon-EX Rule: When a Pokemon-EX has been knocked out, your opponent takes two prize cards.

Here is my entry:

Koga's Weezing - Psychic - 100 HP

Stage 1 - Evolves from Koga's Koffing

Ability: Poison Smoke Bomb
When you attack with a Koga's Pokémon, you may discard this card from hand. If you do, your opponent's Active Pokemon is now Poisoned. If that Pokemon tries to attack during your opponent's next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, that attack does nothing.

[P] Acid Storm
Discard an Energy from this Pokémon. Place three damage counter on each of your opponent's Pokémon.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C]

Nothing like that last minute flood of entries, excellent! :D Still some time left for the remaining stragglers to get in, too.

eh. Originally it was Jasmine's Steelix but I couldn't get the blank to work (steel is evil, don't do it). Instead, we have Pryce's Lapras. Given I feel that I didn't explain myself last month, here's a short little section on the design process of the card.

The main idea around Pryce's Pokemon is that they do stuff to [W] Pokemon, and in order to make them not useless, here's a Lapras that makes them [W] for you. In the process of making it, I felt that merely changing their type wasn't Ice themed enough, so I added the extra [C] for retreating to give Lapras a boost in viability as well as giving the potential for crazy combos with multiple Lapras, but in order to keep these combos fair, I made the player discard an Energy for Lapras' power and made the effect end when Lapras leaves the field.

The attack really is just garbage. I didn't want Lapras to do too much, just have the power and an interesting attack that allows for Lapras cycling. The plan for the attack was stuff like Pokemon that can be attached to other Pokemon and then bounced out of the discard pile (specifically, Seel). Probably not the best idea for a contest where you present only one card though haha.

pryceslaprassized_zps5qubg8n3.png

yes I did the badge symbol by myself. PM me if you want it for your own use. It's about 100px^2. If you want me to make you a different badge, I can also do that.

Oh, I see now, if you're counting ties as a favorable outcome, that does clear things up, and then it makes a lot of sense to use that mechanic.

I also like how a knowledgeable player needs to keep two of cissy's pokemon in play, no more, no less, to improve their chances, so it forces a balancing act and delays their development, instead of filling their bench; it's so subtle, and people without knowledge of probability will probably fall for it.

Anyway, now that I know I wasn't so much off the mark, but that you were right too, and in fact it is quite useful, I love it; maybe I'll... borrow, it sometime; good luck!

Oh, and sorry for making you get reacquainted with the binomial theorem. I know how those things are.

No need to be sorry at all! In fact, this has helped me set the record straight, some of the assumptions I have stated in my submission post were off the mark - I only wish I could edit it (without the penalty). I also see many grammatical errors in that post too... must resist editing. Resist. Edit.

Even numbers of Cissy's Pokémon in play is still advantageous, but having Rhydon and another Cissy's Pokémon for the 2 flips seems to be the optimal case. Odd numbers do not improve odds (badumtish!) at all, which would make sense as there are no no. of heads=tails outcomes.

I just hope my half-asleep brain (it was around 2-3 a.m.-ish?) did the calculations correctly.

That pun.

THAT PUN.

I have no words.

Please tell me its the Pokémon Power you are referring to. The thought that everyone who looks at that name and cringes leaves me all giddy!

NO NO NO NO WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT STOP STOP STOP I'M HERE
Stage 1 // Fantina's Mismagius // HP90 [P]
200.png
Evolves from Fantina's Misdreavus
mismagius.gif

NO. 429 Magical Pokémon HT: 2'11'' WT: 9.7lbs

[Ability] Haunting Chill
When either player plays a Stadium card from his or her hand, you may use this Ability. Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Asleep.

[P][P] Memory Drain 30
Draw a card for each Energy attached to this Pokémon. Then, your opponent discards a card from his or her hand for each Energy attached to this Pokémon.

weakness [D] x2
resistance [F] -20
retreat [C]

"Its cry sounds like an incantation. It is said that the cry may rarely be imbued with happiness-giving power."​

EDIT: Misspelled Mismagius, and forgot the Fighting Resistance. My b.

Last edited:
Sorry for the incredibly late entry everyone! I've been very busy this past month and haven't had a chance to work on my card much. Kinda threw this together at the last minute. :x Era is XY. Hope y'all like it!

And the Contest is officially closed! Thank you everyone for participating; this was really an amazing turnout!

We hope to have official judging results ready for you by Sunday, but in the meantime, it's time for Fan Voting! Please vote for your favourite entries in text-based and/or image-based categories. You don't have to be an entrant to vote; spectators should give their voice, too! To view all entries, you may click on the contestant's name in the sign-up post and it will bring you to the post containing their entry.

Click Here to access the fan-voting form on Google

If you do not wish to submit your vote over the Google form, you instead have the option to submit it over the forums by sending me a PM.

Fan Voting ends on Sunday, May 31st at Midnight, PDT, so you have approximately 3 full days to get your vote in.

Unfortunately we will not be able to post winners to the Front Page for this particular month, but 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place Judge's winners for both text-based and image-based will still earn the new CaC badges.

I am not entirely sure myself, but WPM asked me not to while he is working on some things, so of course I am respecting his wishes. Hopefully whatever issues are going on will be fixed up soon.

Yeah, people still have about 45 minutes to get in any last minute votes, and then I'll post results. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh goodness, I actually made a decent entry?! Thank you! It's exam week so I'm going to be drowning in a Science exam tomorrow but I can't wait for the Judges' Result! Best of luck to everyone!

Back