May's Community Deck List: Colorless M Rayquaza-EX!

+1 Trainer's Mail
More consistency.

-1 Pikachu
-1 Raichu
+1 Swablu
+1 Altaria
I really think we need Altaria. I'm not saying only because of Manectric. Raichu is a threat and so is Night March.

+1 Trainer's Mail
More consistency.

-1 Pikachu
-1 Raichu
+1 Swablu
+1 Altaria
I really think we need Altaria. I'm not saying only because of Manectric. Raichu is a threat and so is Night March.

Didn't add the Trainer's Mail because we were already up to a 60 card deck.

From now on, if you add a card, you have to remove a card, and if you remove a card, you have to add one in it's place. Remember that you can only replace up to three cards per post.

Didn't add the Trainer's Mail because we were already up to a 60 card deck.

From now on, if you add a card, you have to remove a card, and if you remove a card, you have to add one in it's place. Remember that you can only replace up to three cards per post.
Yeah, I was going to do that. But then I saw 33 Trainer cards (now there are 34 for some reason), which meant 59 cards at the time.

-1 Trainer's Mail
+1 VS Seeker

The deck doesn't have enough space for Trainer's Mail (in my opinion), and having 1 is weird, so I removed it. 4 VS Seeker is fantastic in this deck. Combined with the 2 Battle Compressor and 3 Acro Bike I've never found VS Seeker a dead card in my opening hand.

-1 Colress
+1 N

Colress is great in this deck, but with 4 VS Seeker, 2 Colress isn't necessary at all. N is great for disrupting opponents late game, and early game it's nice to conserve your hand if you have too many good resources in it.

-1 Winona
+1 Ultra Ball

2 Winona isn't needed, as it can be searched out by the Battle Compressor and VS Seeker combo. 4 Ultra Ball is needed in the deck to get a constant supply of Rayquazas and Shaymins without having to play a supporter, as well as thin your hand down for Set Up. There's also no drawback to it with Exeggcute in the deck.

-3 Acro Bike
+3 Trainer's Mail
My experience with the deck is that you most of the times want a specific card, like Mega turbo, Spirit link or M-Rayguaza EX (you can search this if you grab a Ultra Ball with Trainer's Mail)
If you're searching for a specific card, Trainer's Mail is better because you can look at more cards from your deck to find the card.

As cool as Battle Compressor is, it's simply not needed in this deck. Battle Compressor fits best in decks like Flareon and Night March, that operate off of the discard pile. It has a niche role in other decks, but for our purposes Shaymiin gives us enough draw power that discarding Supporters to retrieve via VS Seeker isn't necessary. Ultra Ball and Juniper are also satisfying enough for discarding energy to Mega Turbo. We can replace these with a thicker Altaria line. A 1-1 line of something so important isn't consistent. Due to the presence of Wally in this format, we may need to get Altaria out as soon as turn one (Delta Evolution makes this possible), as the meta is surely going to shift in favor of Lightning Pokemon like Raichu and M-Manectric to counter our Emerald Breaking friend. We need to strengthen this to a 2-2 line.

I'm also going to continue to argue that Scoop Up Cylcone is a better choice than Computer Search for this deck's ACE SPEC. While I understand the need to get DCE as quickly as possible, you can accomplish this with the insane amount of draw power that Shaymin=EX provides. You draw your deck down fairly quickly, so there's really no worry about clog. Scoop Up Cyclone only works to achieve this faster, as it lets use recycle a Shaymin. It can also be used as an emergency switching / healing card, since if you have a Mega Turbo in hand you can scoop up a damaged Rayquaza, t hen play the whole thing again. It's very versatile, and the sacrifice we're making to put it in is not very big.

-2 Battle Compressor
-1 Computer Search

+1 Swablu LTR
+1 Altaria ROS
+1 Scoop Up Cyclone

Last edited:
-1 Rayquaza-EX (We've only got 3 Mega and Spirit Link, and if we don't mange to draw at least one there's a problem)
+1 Exeggecute (We may as well use 3 since a lack of Skyfield can result in 3 Pokemon discard at one time)

-1 Exeggcute
+1 Rayquaza-EX
I don't think we need more than two, especially because we don't want to waste a slot while we enhance the possibility of starting with it (we don't have many switch options). Starting with Shaymin is already bad enough. Maxing out the Rayquaza-EX count seems like a better option.

-1 Seeker
+1 Winona
Maybe we don't really need 4 of it (also, we don't have the Battle Compressor combo anymore). And sometimes, Winona can be crucial. Two seems fine.

Do I have to make the third change?

Also, where is the first post (the one with the list)?

-1 Virizion EX
+1 Sky Field

Virizion is nice, but 1) Toad is still a bad match up with the card, and 2) I wanted the space for the 4th Sky Field. I think this deck absolutely needs it, especially without Ninetales. Any turn you're not OHKOing an EX is a giant waste of your time, so getting Sky Field out is crucial. With 3, it's not guaranteed you'll draw into it every time you need it, even with the crazy draw power. Decks like Donphan and Kyogre that run 3-4 Stadiums can just run you out of them.

-1 Altaria
-1 Swablu
+2 Battle Compressor

I think 1-1 Altaria is all you need in this deck. Most Electric decks you can win by simply out-speeding them, and even then, we currently have 2 Winona and 4 Ultra Ball to search out the 1-1 Altaria. It shouldn't be that hard to get it out turn 1-2. Raichu can also help against Lightning decks. Compressor is fantastic in this deck. Getting your Eggs into the discard immediately is great for this deck, as it allows you to manipulate your Ultra Balls to draw the perfect number of cards with Set Up, and it makes getting that quick Emerald Break much easier.

-1 Sky Field
+1 Virizion

In my experience with the deck 3 sky field is enough with the draw power we have going. Virizion-EX does make the Toad Matchup better, even though it is still the worst deck for this one to go against. More importantly placing that sweet green deer on the bench frees you from the worries of status issues from lasers or Malamars. Sleep is a huge bane of this deck.

- 1 Scoop-Up Cyclone
+1 Dowsing Machine

While i like the tech ability of reusing Shaymins and even the utility as a clutch heal/switch card, I think with as fast as we are going through cards in this deck the Dowsing Machine allows us to get back that key piece at an important time. It can be used to get back that discarded sky field (which we can then repopulate the bench with eggs) or snag a Lysandre or Mega Turbo to put the field exactly how you want it.

-1 Colress
+1 Teammates

I haven't found much use for Colress in this deck. Sure Sky Field means there should be plenty of benched 'mons to draw off of, but if your bench is full and Sky Field is in place, you pretty much should already have the pieces you need and drawing 10 cards off Colress is probably not necessary at that point. With a Teammates in that slot it can be tossed in the discard whenever convenient (Battle Compressor, Ultra Ball, Prof. J, and Dowsing Machine all help with that). Then, if an egg gets sniped or your M Rayquaza-EX finally gets taken out you can VS Seeker those ladies and essentially double Computer Search. This power is too good to ignore!

-1 Teammates
+1 Colress

I think being able to draw 10 + cards off of a Supporter is a lot less situational than a Supporter you can only play if your opponent Knocks Out one of your Pokemon. Teammates is a fun card, but I don't favor it over our only copy of Colress.

-1 Battle Compressor
+1 Professor's Letter

2 Battle Compressor isn't really needed in this deck. Its main purpose is to thin out the deck to draw better or get supporters in the discard pile to be VS Seekered later on. When running 4 Shaymin-EX, drawing one or two less usable cards isn't exactly an end-all. This and the supporter purpose of Battle Compressor can be handled fine by one copy.

I am adding one Professor's Letter because getting that third energy onto M-Rayquaza is so important. 4 grass energy is good, but also hard to draw into. I doubt anyone running this deck would want to overload an M-Rayquaza with 2 DCEs, or have to use a Shaymin just to draw an energy. Professor's Letter also works great with Virizion-EX, allowing you to search out grass energies to stop special conditions faster.

- 1-1 Altaria
+ 1-1 Raichu

Let's be honest here - if we're playing a Lightning deck, we are /not/ going to bank our success on a 1-1 Altaria line. Sure, it'd help for about a second, but if the Swablu or Altaria is/are Prized...we're toast. Furthermore, they can Lysandre up the Altaria and continue to steamroll the deck and now we have to Trump Card the set back and spend another turn Winona-ing. I'd rather have a thicker Safeguard counter Pokémon line and guarantee that I'll be able to mount some sort of response to a mirror match then play passive-aggressive with two 1-1 Stage-1 lines. (The same can be said about Raichu in the Ray mirror - if a Pikachu or Raichu is/are Prized, your chances of winning are significantly reduced.)

I'm just going the more aggressive route with this pick here. You could add a 1-1 line of Altaria, but I like the Raichu swag more in this list.

-1 Dowsing Machine
+1 Computer Search

Computer Search is the go-to ace for speed decks and it works better in here. There's already VS Seeker and high counts of most Items to minimize the need for Dowsing.

+1 Skyfield

To easier win the stadium war and have Ray hit for OHKOs more often.

I think at this point we've really been spinning our tires since as a community it is difficult to decide what variant of RayMin we want to play. There are several options, and until a consensus is made (which probably won't occur just due to the nature of the community deck list), little progress will be made. Here are my thoughts on some of the options.

1. Pure speed RayMin: Lots of Acro-Bikes, Trainer's Mail, Battle Compressors, Jirachi EX, then approximately 4 open Pokemon slots for techs such as a 2-2 line of Altaria, Ninetails, Raichu. Runs whatever energy you want. Fire if Ninetails is an option, maybe lightning for Raichu, or Grass if Virizion is included. Minimal hard counters or soft counters to bad match-ups, simply relying on pure speed to overwhelm Toad/Groudon/Lightning-Type/RayMin mirror. Safeguard is a big problem.

2. Archie's Rayquaza: A slightly toned down version of the above, since some Item draw is dropped to fit in 2 Empoleon, Archie's Ace In The Hole, and Exeggcute (if not included before). Approximately 4 open Pokemon slots, so less room for techs. Runs water energy. Think Flareon & Friends dropping the Flareon's and filler pokemon for RayMin. Better Toad match-up and good Safeguard counter. Probably advantage in mirror over other variants, since Empoleon can do some big damage with 2 full benches of 8. Very bad Lightning-Type match-up. Don't know how the Groudon match-up is

3. Vegan Rayquaza: A more conservative approach that sheds a lot of Item draw to fit in Virizion and a grass type attacker. Options would be Leafeon, Exeggutor, Tropius. Approximately 4 additional open Pokemon slots. Runs Grass Energy. Has hard counters to Seismitoad and Groudon/Kyogre so those match-ups are solidly in this variant's favor. Bad lightning and RayMin mirror match-ups since it has sacrificed some speed.

These are the 3 main variants I have identified. Of course there are more, such as FightingQuaza, Circle Circuit RayMin, etc. Notice each has some open slots for a tech (or more draw). Just from theorymoning, I would fill these in as follows.

1. Safeguard is an auto-loss, so we should fix that by putting in a good non-EX attacker that also hits hard against one of the other 4 major weaknesses. Altaria his a pitiful Safeguard counter and is a clunky counter to Lightning in a pure speed deck. 2-2 Leafeon looks strong against Toad/Groudon/Kyogre and with energy evolution Eevee can set-up fast. Remember this variant is less about teching for bad match-ups and more focusing on speed and consistency.

2. Our Safeguard match-up is covered, so it comes down on whether to tech for Grass-weak matchups, or try to mitigate the Lightning weakness. So options really are Exeggutor, Leafeon, or an Altaria line. Since we're still fast enough to outspeed Toad and Groudon, I would go with a thick Altaria line, or a thin Altaria line and Exeggutor. Ninetails is an option as well.

3. Running Exeggutor helps the mirror, so if he is included, I would focus on the lightning-weakness and include Altaria. If not, then Raichu looks like a good tech for the mirror. No need for Ninetails, since we should wreck Primal Groudon, and win the stadium wars against other decks.

I haven't really talked about Ninetails, but I might revist it later on.

Back