OU: Pokémon Mawilite Suspect Test Discussion Thread

Uralya

*ponders everything*
Link to Smogon thread here

Well, we gave Aegislash three weeks without seeing the light of OU, and afterward we booted it by a close margin. This also gave people time to complain about another defining entity in X / Y OU: Mega Mawile. Right away, we're at another suspect test, this time concerning a tank with power far surpassing that of even Deoxys-A.

Mega Mawile is a single-minded Pokémon; it's one job is to wreck, as Smogon's thread implies not so subtly. With an attack stat post-evolution equaling a Base 259, access to Swords Dance, powerful dual STABs, a slew of resistances, Substitute + Focus Punch to destroy would-be counters, solid bulk on both ends, and even Sucker Punch to circumvent its lackluster speed when necessary, this is a force to reckoned with.

I'll just say it up front that I could have seen this banned a few months ago, and I can see it banned now, but we'll see. I will advocate a ban. Between all of its perks and surprises, it embodies a sweeper far too powerful for the current metagame and wrecks a lot of things with its two sets. It has enough checks to make one wonder if having such power necessarily equates to being broken though, so this is open to discussion.

Your thoughts?

RE: Mawilite Suspect Test Duscussion Thread

I am completely for the banning of Mega Mawile. Even without an attack boost its moves inflict serious damage to your Pokemon. One of the only good ways to attempt to get rid of it is with Will-O-Wisp and hope it connects. If it didn't have access to Sucker Punch, it could be very different, but effectively it lets Mawile not worry so much about Speed so it can raise its defenses more. It really is one of the few Pokemon I actually struggle to defeat consistently.

I'm against the Mawile ban. Sure, it's the Pokemon with the highest Attack in the game, and its bulk is respectable when combined with its numerous resistances. However, it still has many checks, and is in no way as centralizing as Aegislash was. Her presence in teams is high, but not that much, and when building a team, you don't necessarily have Mawile in mind. Its Speed is also terrible, and Sucker Punch is notorious for being played around, while its STABs are usually bound to fire after the enemy's attack. No, Mawile isn't broken in my opinion, and OU is a tier where it does well, but not completely dominates.

I mean yah, Mega Mawile hits like a truck on steroids, but it's definitely not ban-worthy. It's lack of speed can make Mega Mawile a liability to its team. Sucker Punch can hit hard, but it's easily shut down by other priority or against something that resists it. Plus it's not even STAB (and only 80 BP) and can be completely nerfed by burning it. I'm not very familiar with Ubers, but I'm not sure Mega Mawile could really stand much of a chance in that tier.

King Xerneas said:
I'm not very familiar with Ubers, but I'm not sure Mega Mawile could really stand much of a chance in that tier.

The viability of something in Ubers should never be a criteria for banning something or not. We should never keep something broken in OU because it wouldn't be good in Ubers.

Personally I'm on the fence about a Mawilite ban, because while M-Mawile is certainly manageable with things like status and strong Fire or Ground moves, the SubPunch set is crazy. You want to revenge-kill it or hit it with status? Good luck with getting past Substitute. You want to send in a Heatran to counter the SD set? Have fun with Focus Punch. Personally, I dislike mons that have no counter being allowed in OU, so I would say I learn more toward ban.

Cinesra said:
King Xerneas said:
I'm not very familiar with Ubers, but I'm not sure Mega Mawile could really stand much of a chance in that tier.

The viability of something in Ubers should never be a criteria for banning something or not. We should never keep something broken in OU because it wouldn't be good in Ubers.

It was more of a personal opinion/view than a criteria, then again this is the internet. Anyways, I'm on the fence about it too (obviously leaning against the ban), but for me if it does get banned (which tbh it probably will) then I won't be disappointed, even though Mawile will probably suffer like Kanga did, but I'll also be content if it doesn't get banned. I still stand by what I said before that Mega Mawile really doesn't need to be banned. If it doesn't get banned I think I might try out that SubPunch set :p

Oh yeah my girl's getting suspected because she is too much for OU <3 Where is your god now? He won't save you from Mega Mawile's wrath~

Because I need competitive reasons why Mega Mawile will ruin your face, she is the best thing OU has ever seen. She takes your Heatran "counter" and [focus] punches him square in his pretty magma face for the OHKO. She is stronger than Deoxys-A and has some of the best defensive typing in the game. Nothing likes eating a +2 Play Rough and anything that does gets crushed by Sucker Punch and Iron Head. If Mega Mawile gets banned I will be sad as can be but it if the Aegislash ban is any indication then she is not long for this world... which is fine because she dominates it already. Mega Mawile 4 life. If she gets saved I am gonna build an OU team with her just to show my appreciation.

Back