Mason's Lab #1: Magic Flash-Bang!

Dr. Mason

Professor TCG, Ph.D
Dr. Mason's Lab: Magic Flash Bang!
博士オーヤマ研究所:フラッシュバンマジック!

Hello PokeBeach and welcome to Mason's Lab. Since the article submission process of the PokeGym, I know through experience, is quite tedious and cumbersome, I shall be directing my efforts to the PokeBeach forum, where people who need the help are more likely to see it anyway. My methods for these decks are probably a bit unorthodox for pure metagame help, anyway. In these threads, I'll be showing off some different ways to play popular cards.

Today's experiment! The 'Magic', Gothitelle!

47-gothitelle.jpg

So, let's discuss the features of Gothitelle, huh? She's a psychic type--not a bad type to be, at the moment! It has fairly few weaknesses within the metagame. A retreat cost of 2 is never favorable, but it's certainly not unsurvivable. 130 HP is fairly standard for a Stage 2, but in this Pokemon's case, it's also a magic number! Why is that? We'll get to it in a moment...for now, let's move on to the meat of the card.

Magic Room is a fantastic ability. It has all the upside of Vileplume's Allergy Flower, from the Undaunted set, with none of the downsides. As long as Gothitelle is active, you opponent will be unable to play Trainer--Item cards. Why is this significant? About half of most decks in this format are comprised of Trainers and Supporters! A 'Trainer lock' can not only ruin many crucial strategies and slow down your opponent, but also fill his hand with unusable cards. And unlike Vileplume, you're left free to employ the advantages of having Trainer cards for yourself. Another reason this is significant relates to Gothitelle's HP count--130 is ten damage above what most of the metagame is able to hit without outside aid. And even fewer cards are able to hit that amount with being in risk of being Knocked Out first. With their Pluspower cut off, many decks will be totally unable to Knock Out this Pokemon with a single attack!

Lastly, let's look at Gothitelle's attack--Madkinesis. Many view this attack as Gothitelle's biggest downfall. It starts at a measly 30 damage, with 20 more damage added for each Psychic Energy attached. A Psychic Energy, along with a Double Colorless Energy, (which is the fastest setup), only deals a pithy 50 damage. Not much better than we started. Initially, this may look like a waste of Energy cards. There is, however, another way to look at this attack, one that can significantly improve your opinion of the card--its damage can scale infinitely! If you were so bold as to place many Psychic Energy on Gothitelle, it would be able to Knock Out anything you needed! In this doctor's opinion, this attack is no stain on the Pokemon's playability. It's only one of its many features!

----------------------------------------------​

With Gothitelle's abilities covered, let's move on the 'Flash'...Reuniclus, from the set Black and White!

57-reuniclus.jpg

Reuniclus has 90 HP. Very uncharacteristic of a Stage 2 Pokemon, but not without good reason. Two Retreat Cost is, again, lamentable, but as Reuniclus will not often, if ever, be in the Active Position, it is not as bad. Psychic Weakness is again, not particularly traumatic. These stats, on their own, would make a very poor Pokemon, but Reuniclus has a real trick up his sleeve.

Reuniclus's Damage Swap allows him to move damage counters from any Pokemon on your side of the field to any other. This, in tandem with Gothitelle's Magic Room, allows you to move damage away from your active Gothitelle without jeopardizing your Benched Pokemon's vulnerability to Pokemon Catcher, a card that will be a staple in nearly all decks as of Emerging Powers' release. Unless Knocked Out in one hit, Gothitelle can virtually live the entire game! Unfortunately, this is where the good news stops--Reuniclus's attack, Psywave, is almost never worth using, not realistically dealing more than 60-70 damage on a good day. Still, the Ability alone makes this Psychic Pokemon a force to be reckoned with!

Lastly, let us discuss the big 'Bang' of the deck... Electrode Prime, from Triumphant!

93-electrode.jpg

When this card was first released, it received a lot of hate. People just weren't happy with the aspects of the card. It had low HP, at 90, for a Stage 1 Prime, with no free retreat to compensate, along with a stunningly bad Weakness to the Fighting type.

The only interesting aspect of the card was the Poke-Power: Energymite. With this Power, you could look at the top 7 cards of your deck and attach all the Energy cards within to your Pokemon in anyway you liked. Of course, there was a catch to this advantage--a harsh cost indeed. When you used Energymite, Electrode Prime was Knocked Out, and all the cards you had looked at that were not Energy cards were immediately discarded. This harsh drawback, with only mild returns, caused Electrode Prime to fall through the cracks, destined to be binder fodder for the months to come. So why now? What has happened between then, and now, to suddenly validate the card's playability? You might say it has to do with the mass rotation of sets, causing attacks and effects to lock up Poke-Powers to become near non-existent. You might cite the loss of consistency for many decks. However, Electrode Prime's star partner, the Supporter card Twins, has been with us since its release. Twins allows you to search your deck for any 2 cards and put them into your hand, provided you have more Prize cards remaining than your opponent. This manuever can often allow you to attach all the Energy you need to attack with Gothitelle and evolve both Gothitelle and Reuniclus all in one go.

Magic Flash-Bang! If your opponent's deck is unable to Knock Out your Gothitelle in one fell swoop, you have likely won the entire match.

Other Key Cards
89-twins.jpg
94-max-potion.gif
95-pokemon-catcher.gif
96-pokegear-3.0.gif
17-cleffa.gif
106-blissey.gif

Twins:As discussed previously, Twins is the crux of your ability to set up the Magic Flash Bang combination. Being able to search for any two cards is an incredibly powerful tool in any deck, but in this one, it is essential.

Max Potion: This card can be played on one of you Benched Pokemon, with much of the damage moved to it, with little to no cost to yourself. Remember that you can only move the damage you receive--not rid yourself of it, without playing this card or Knocking Out one of your own Pokemon.

Pokemon Catcher:A prominent staple card, its use here is no different. The ability to pick off weak Basic Pokemon is always a great idea. The main advantage you have is knowing that you will never fall victim to this card yourself!

Pokegear 3.0:This card's main use is to allow you to grab Twins when you need it more often--though it still is useful for other Supporters, such as Pokemon Collector.

Cleffa: This card saw heavy play in sets of four early in the season, but quickly lapsed due to its easy to KO HP count, making the perils of starting with only Cleffa in play outweigh its benefits. Still, just one goes a long way in any deck to saving yourself from having a bad hand.

Blissey Prime:This card can be used to remove all the damage counters you have moved from Gothitelle to your bench! At 130 HP, the same as Gothitelle itself, combined with Max Potion, you can remove 120 HP all at once.

Sample Decklist:

POKEMON: 19
3-2-3 Gothitelle EP
2-1-2 Reuniclus BLW
2-2 Electrode Prime TM
1-1 Blissey Prime HGSS

TRAINERS: 29
Trainers: 17
3 Pokemon Communication
2 Switch
2 Pokemon Catcher
3 Rare Candy
3 Junk Arm
2 Max Potion
2 Pokegear 3.0
Supporters: 12
3 Professor Juniper
3 Twins
2 Cheren
4 Pokemon Collector

ENERGY: 12
Special Energy: 2
2 Rescue Energy
Basic Energy: 10
10 Psychic Energy

Matchups

Typhlosion/Reshiram: Very Favorable
Very good matchup in your favor. They'll have trouble getting the Typhlosion and Energy out quick enough, and they're unable to PlusPower up to a KO. Your main issue will be making sure they stay out of lethal Outrage damage range. (From 110-120 damage on the Reshiram. Don't forget that Afterburner adds damage counters!

Zekrom: Favorable
Unless you get a nonsense, single Pokemon start with no draw or Twins in sight, this is a probable win. Like Reshiram they can't hit up to your HP count, and their inability to play trainers hurts them quite a bit. No Catcher, no Defender, no Pluspower...they're out of luck when it comes to Gothitelle.

Stage 1 Rush: Even
Their quick, consistent damage output will give you a tough time, but with careful planning this is far from a losing battle. You'll quickly begin to run out of room for damage counters--get creative. Knocking Out some of your own Pokemon isn't always so bad, not if you know they're unable to return the KO.

Yanmega/Magnezone: Slightly Unfavorable
This is one of the harder matchups. They are less plagued with inconsistency and able to snipe with easy cost. Occasionally a Yanmega will fail to get its hand size down to your relatively smaller build due to the trainers they are unable to play, but be wary in thsi matchup. The other issue is that they can, in fact, knock you out in one shot. It's best to Knock Out their Magnezones quickly!

Kingdra/Yanmega/Jirachi: Unfavorable
One of your most dangerous match-ups. Drop the Blissey when you are able. to prevent the sniping Knock Outs. Try to keep a Rare Candy or Junk Arm on hand if you need to to get Gothitelle back out. Jirachi drops can be lethal.

Hmm, well, that's all I have for now. I encourage all of you to give this deck a try. If it doesn't work for you, feel free to come to me and tell me why. Deck science is a pursuit best accentuated by failure!

Finally realized gothitelle's potential. Great article, it made me rethink this deck's potential!

I just played against this deck a few times and got absolutely destroyed both games. It is a fantastic deck after it sets up and might even be tier 1.

GHJamesGH said:
I just played against this deck a few times and got absolutely destroyed both games. It is a fantastic deck after it sets up and might even be tier 1.

What were you playing? This deck might be in my future lol

GHJamesGH said:
Glad you like it! Let me know if you see any errors!

I've been working with this deck all weekend, experimenting with all 3 energy engines and as far as electrode goes, Junipers just seems to hurt you more than help. You are bound to put yourself in a bad situation if you are forced into Junipers/get unlucky with electrode. Drop them for PONT imo, since you have no hand refresh in here anyways. Also, I would try to work in 1-2 FSL, or Super Rod when it comes out for some recovery since you are only running 3-2-3 of Gothitelle. If you discard 1 or 2 with electrode you will need to be able to get it out or it's GG.

I like the idea, the list seems a little erratic for my tastes, but it still gets the job done. You are playing Reversal instead of Catcher so you may want to fix that, but beyond that there isn't anything glaringly wrong about the list. Electrode is interesting, but with such few energy I'd rather attempt some other type of energy acceleration so that I don't have to discard 5+ cards from my deck for no reason.

DawnOfXatu said:
I like the idea, the list seems a little erratic for my tastes, but it still gets the job done. You are playing Reversal instead of Catcher so you may want to fix that, but beyond that there isn't anything glaringly wrong about the list. Electrode is interesting, but with such few energy I'd rather attempt some other type of energy acceleration so that I don't have to discard 5+ cards from my deck for no reason.
Ha. That's a left over from my proxies, I'll clean it up right away.

As for Electrode, it really doesn't matter if it only nabs you say, two energy. Twins allows you to set up the combo and at that point you've almost definitely won. Try it out a bit.

I like the Electrode/Twins Combo, but on average you are going to get one energy, two if you are lucky. That means five or six cards are lost, and the Pokemon lines in this deck are shaky in a format where your best recovery is a godawful supporter. So if luck is not on your side you can end up discarding your only Blissey, or maybe a couple of your Reuniclus/Solosis/Gothitelle/Gothita in which case you are playing from an early handicap that even a Twins or two wouldn't be able to fix. I personally play Twins without Electrode in my deck, as you can always use Reuniclus to KO a useless bench sitter (used Shaymin) if you need to get behind in prizes. In the end Electrode has its own pros and cons, and I just prefer to take less of a risk so I don't have to play more cards to help me possibly recover from that risk. Plus Electrode shouldn't exactly be the focus of your deck early in the game. You want the Gothitelle trainer lock ASAP, and from there you should build up Reuniclus. Building up an Electrode in the mix there could not only slow you down initially (before you hit the needed Twins) but it also increases undesirable starts, doubles your opponents chances of hitting a hand refreshment card to counteract a bad hand under trainer lock (prize and topdeck instead of just topdeck), and diverts actual deck space away from your main attacker. I'd say you could get the same basic result by playing a starter who can help you set up a quick Gothitelle, they'll probably knock out whatever you are using as a starter and then you can use Twins, sure you don't get an energy and a fistful of cards discarded but you still get to use Twins.

Electrode Prime is what really makes Gothitelle an amazing Stage 2 attacker but you need to be very careful cause you're giving your opponent a prize in exchange for that energy acceleration just to attack for Madkinesis. What If you're playing against say a MewBox deck and they manage to sweep with Mew Prime for 90-100 damage with Jumpluff in the Lost Zone for Mass Attack?

Yeah you forgot the matchup against MewBox to see how well this deck works cause most MewBox decks run Vileplume and If they get Plume off that in some cases shuts off Gothitelle's Magic Room since nobody can play Trainer - Items with Vileplume in play. Oh sure MewBox can't play their own Pokemon Catcher's but that's where Muk comes in for Sludge Drag, it's basically a Catcher all in one for Mew Prime. Also you need to be wary of Pidgeot and Crobat Prime in that deck as well.

The weird thing I've found with MewBox compared to Gothitelle/Reuniclus is that unless If it can get energies going mainly with Rainbows and Psychics then it's good to go otherwise If it doesn't hit those energies the deck sorta fails but I've been considering on Interviewer's Questions in my deck to help remedy that problem despite deck space constriction. I'll see how it goes hopefully. With Gothitelle/Reuniclus it needs mass amounts of energies attached all at once to be effective, with MewBox you need very few at least 1-2 energy attachments at a time.

I would honestly drop the Electrode prime for the Jirachi/Shaymin combo. Considering you're already running Junk Arm, it can quickly get energy in the discard. It could also allow you to play Engineer. Only real issue I have with your deck list here, you got Collector maxed out, when you can easily get by with only 3. You have a total of 8 basics. 4 collector is very much over kill

But Jirachi/Shaymin is too risky, you're better off attaching more with Electrode Prime than you would with having to already have Psychic energies in your Discard Pile to get back with Jirachi which isn't worth it cause you might not get the energies you need If most of your coin flips are tails or If you keep getting evens on dice rolls. Sure getting 2-3 heads to get back Psychic energies isn't bad but If you want solid damage output Electrode is just better. What are the chances of garaunteed Psychics in hand everytime you want to use Junk Arm to discard them?

Pokemon Catcher is only a prominent staple card in decks that don't run Vileplume unless you find that Seeker is absolutely necessary to play them when you could just See Off a Muk with Mew Prime and use Sludge Drag on the next turn unless you're about to get donked or If you have another Mew Prime setup on the bench. As for the Gothitelle deck I don't see why 4 Collector is overkill when 4 Catcher is when you could just run 3-4 Junk Arm and 2 Catcher with plenty of Draw Supporters for backup. I really don't see a problem in that at all really.

Card Slinger J said:
But Jirachi/Shaymin is too risky, you're better off attaching more with Electrode Prime than you would with having to already have Psychic energies in your Discard Pile to get back with Jirachi which isn't worth it cause you might not get the energies you need If most of your coin flips are tails or If you keep getting evens on dice rolls. Sure getting 2-3 heads to get back Psychic energies isn't bad but If you want solid damage output Electrode is just better. What are the chances of garaunteed Psychics in hand everytime you want to use Junk Arm to discard them?

Pokemon Catcher is only a prominent staple card in decks that don't run Vileplume unless you find that Seeker is absolutely necessary to play them when you could just See Off a Muk with Mew Prime and use Sludge Drag on the next turn unless you're about to get donked or If you have another Mew Prime setup on the bench. As for the Gothitelle deck I don't see why 4 Collector is overkill when 4 Catcher is when you could just run 3-4 Junk Arm and 2 Catcher with plenty of Draw Supporters for backup. I really don't see a problem in that at all really.

Ok, let me put it this way. all you need is 1 heads out of 3 with jirachi to be able to attack with Gothitelle by turn 2. Attach energy 1 t1. attach energy 2 t2. Oh look, you only need 1 more energy to attack. and looking at that decklist, running 10 psychics should always guarentee you atleast 1 psychic per hand with every refresher. Plus if you don't like engineer already, which honestly is better than Cheren, combo it Burned Tower.

And I think 4 Collector in any deck is overkill. 3 is the perfect amount. All I ever run is 3, and I run pretty well. and lets put it this way of why 4 is overkill. With 3, its still quite easy to get one in your opening hand, I've never had a problem with it. You get 3 pokemon, ok, so now you got atleast 4 pokemon out of your deck by now for a deck that only runs 8 basics to begin with. And thats also why Jirachi/Shaymin is better than Electrode prime. run 2 Shaymin, 2 Jirachi. and that ups your basic pokemon up to 12. Running only 8 leaves you highly vulnerable to the donk.

I have never considered Electrode with Twins, but as DoX pointed out, if you're trying for a speed setup, you'll have alot of cards in the deck which lessens your chances. I'd rather risk less healing by removing Blissey and use Research Record to shove out non-energies before the energy accel bang.

Nevertheless, that was a well made article.

I'd say you really don't need a Blissey Prime line. If you need something to sponge damage, Reshiram/Zekrom is far superior since they are a basic, and with a bunch of max potion and junk arm you shouldn't need blissful nurse. Anyway, that was a well-written article that made me reconsider how good Gothitelle is.

Card Slinger J said:
Electrode Prime is what really makes Gothitelle an amazing Stage 2 attacker but you need to be very careful cause you're giving your opponent a prize in exchange for that energy acceleration just to attack for Madkinesis. What If you're playing against say a MewBox deck and they manage to sweep with Mew Prime for 90-100 damage with Jumpluff in the Lost Zone for Mass Attack?

Yeah you forgot the matchup against MewBox to see how well this deck works cause most MewBox decks run Vileplume and If they get Plume off that in some cases shuts off Gothitelle's Magic Room since nobody can play Trainer - Items with Vileplume in play. Oh sure MewBox can't play their own Pokemon Catcher's but that's where Muk comes in for Sludge Drag, it's basically a Catcher all in one for Mew Prime. Also you need to be wary of Pidgeot and Crobat Prime in that deck as well.

The weird thing I've found with MewBox compared to Gothitelle/Reuniclus is that unless If it can get energies going mainly with Rainbows and Psychics then it's good to go otherwise If it doesn't hit those energies the deck sorta fails but I've been considering on Interviewer's Questions in my deck to help remedy that problem despite deck space constriction. I'll see how it goes hopefully. With Gothitelle/Reuniclus it needs mass amounts of energies attached all at once to be effective, with MewBox you need very few at least 1-2 energy attachments at a time.
Mewbox is nowhere near highly played anymore, so I din't bother to list. But that's obvious to anyone with half a brain--Psychic weakness is not a good thing.

This deck makes me want to play the tcg again and seeing it delivered by the one and only Dr. Mason from the most awesome pokemon-related thing ever to come into existence makes me want to play that much more.

Also the fact that it centers around two of my favorite gen 5 guys helps too but still. Great article, very informative.

Dr. Mason said:
Mewbox is nowhere near highly played anymore, so I din't bother to list. But that's obvious to anyone with half a brain--Psychic weakness is not a good thing.

Oh really? Maybe it's just your metagame I dunno. Just because a deck isn't highly played anymore doesn't necessarily label it as a bad deck. With the MewBox deck I've been running lately it's done amazingly well against ReshiBoar but it does have problems against TyraniBuzz and ZPS due to energy recovery problems that of which I'm trying to remedy with Twins for search and Bianca for drawpower.

Granted the deck is very dependant on a T1 or T2 See Off with Mew Prime and a Vileplume early to mid game. Psychic Weakness isn't good but then again Mew Prime can revenge KO Gothitelle quite easily with another setup on bench. It can setup amazingly fast but really like any other deck luck of the draw determines it I suppose. Mew Prime can still use Muk in the Lost Zone to Sludge Drag Reuniclus and get rid of Gothitelle's Damage Swap backup that makes it an invincible wall.

Typhlosion/Reshiram: Very Favorable
Very good matchup in your favor. They'll have trouble getting the Typhlosion and Energy out quick enough, and they're unable to PlusPower up to a KO. Your main issue will be making sure they stay out of lethal Outrage damage range. (From 110-120 damage on the Reshiram. Don't forget that Afterburner adds damage counters!

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this match-up. Typhlosion/Reshiram doesn't rely on Rare Candy, or at least mine doesn't. Do I run 2, yes just in case, but I don't have to have it to use the Typhlosion. I can almost always get up a Typhlosion by turn 3. Also, once Typhlosion/Reshiram gets a Typhlosion and Reshiram in play, it should be over. All it needs is a Collector near the beginning of the game. Typhlosion/Reshiram also has the advantage of having draw power outside of Item Cards.

Back