Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games!

masterryanx

N
Sorry I meant to post this like two days ago but I didn't get the chance, forgive me.

Anyway, as many of you have probably heard now Mario and Sonic are appearing in a game together for the first time in videogame history! (Some still think it's an April Fools joke it and NIGHTs on the Wii, but something tells me it isn't, if it turns out to be so I'll post in this thread) The game is of course Mario and Sonic at the Olmpic games. It'll have both Wii and DS versions and is set to come out this winter. The game is licensed through International Sports Multimedia (ISM), the exclusive interactive entertainment software licensee of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). It's being developed by SEGA (with the supervision of Shigeru Miyamoto) and published by SEGA in North America and Europe however it will be published by Nintendo in Japan. The game will feature characters from both series competing in Olymic themed games, Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Knuckles, Yoshi, and Tails are the only ones currently confirmed however. I'd say we can expect to see Sonic in Brawl now... Any thought or opinions?

Links

Nintendo.com's article on the game:
http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=t5eT-QaVMFMIfXI3Z_abfVviRBskksJr&page=

Sega of America's promotional site for the game (not much to see now):
http://www.sega.com/gamesite/marioandsonic/index.php

IGN's article on the game:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/776/776460p1.html

Gamespots article with a short interview:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168338.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;more;12

Gosh, I wonder who could possibly win the 100 metre dash?

that's interesting. I'm not sure whether I want it to be true or not. On the one hand, sonic and mario in the same game is great. On the other hand, Sonics 3D outings have been lame and I'd hate to see him drag Mario down with him.

Still not sure about Sonic in brawl though.

Ehh, I even if it true, I definitely don't want THIS to be the first game where Mario and Sonic join up.
I'd wan't it to be something much more climactic, like the aforementioned Brawl.

Plus, the Olympics sounds like a pathetic promotion idea by Nintendo, and wouldn't really feature any of the gameplay I've come to know Mario or Sonic for.
Please be a joke.

Please?

[ChanseyMaster]

Well, I've got a feeling we may see Brawl before this game. So just because this was announced first doesn't mean this will Sonic's first game appearance alongside Mario, whatever hits stores first, that's the way I see. We'll probably get some Brawl announcements at E3 and my guess is we'll have the game by this fall, before Mario and Sonic at the Olympics.

If Sonic was in Brawl, he'd better be the faster character -.-

Sounds interesting though. How many characters will there be? Or has that not been confirmed?

Arcanine out.

Arcanine 274 said:
If Sonic was in Brawl, he'd better be the faster character -.-

Sounds interesting though.  How many characters will there be?  Or has that not been confirmed?

Arcanine out.

It's not been confirmed yet. Like I said though, the only characters that have actually been confirmed are Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Knuckles, Yoshi, and Tails.

Oh lord. I thought Fox was fast enough :/

I still can't work out what the point in an olympic marathon is if you have the option of playing as sonic. I mean, what's his competition? A fat Italian plumber? HMMMMMMM.

bacon-boy said:
Oh lord. I thought Fox was fast enough :/

I still can't work out what the point in an olympic marathon is if you have the option of playing as sonic. I mean, what's his competition? A fat Italian plumber? HMMMMMMM.
Mario's a plumber? Hmmz

And Fox is nothing compared to Sonic. BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Arcanine out.

"Now that they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?”

GEE I WONDER.

I mean come on, if this game isn't a joke, that question sure is. Only in a video game would Mario stand any hint of a chance at beating Sonic in a foot race. lawl

Ahhh... but who wins the high jump? Or the pole vault? Sounds like a fairly even match to me :p

Anyway, this is quite a surprising revelation. Never since the hoax of Sonic and Tails being in SSBM have we ever heard anything that suggested that Mario and Sonic would be in a video game together. I suspected that this might have been an April Fool's joke as well... until I saw the press releases on Nintendo's and Sega's website. And now, it finally happened. Who would have guessed that this reality would come true back in the 80's and 90's, when Sega and Nintendo were fierce competitors in the video game industry? This would have been possibly the least likely combination of characters in a video game for its time.

This game does look very interesting... I want to read reviews about it when it is released; it will be interesting to see how the public receives this game as a whole.

I don't know how good the game will be. This does improve Sonic's chances of being in SSBB, but you never know.

Back