Contest March 2023 CaC: Synergy: Stage 2 (All Results Up!)

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
We gave this some further consideration after looking at the card pool for SV-on, and we decided we're going to disallow that era after all. The main reason is that those cards haven't had a chance to "prove themselves" yet, so to speak, so it's harder to cull the "meta" ones from our lists. The SV-on metagame is also likely to develop at least somewhat over the course of this round, and we don't want to suddenly get information mid-month that we didn't have at the beginning.

That said, picking SwSh will probably get you a pretty similar result here. :)

We'll consider alternative boundaries for eras within reason, but we're not going to count specific formats as alternatives to eras. From one era to the next, power levels typically jump more than within one era by itself, so overlapping multiple eras results in a much broader power spread than we intend for. Similarly, cutting an era in half reduces your card pool by quite a lot, and we don't want you picking and choosing the eligible cards to that extent. :)

@Buddy2707 @Charmaster:) could I ask you to confirm your era selections for me before I send anything out?

Nope, the penalty only ever kicks in if the category fills up (i.e. 15 people). Since that rarely ever happens these days, we haven't seen the penalty come into play in years. Feel free to sign up, and just check back in sometime before March 10 to confirm that the category isn't full.
Okay, EX for text, no image.
(I was kind of hoping the notification would be for the three stage 2 choices, by the way. I’ve been hoping the 24 hour response estimate would be in relation to confirmation time and not admission closure.)

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
If you're signing up for text, the reason you haven't received anything is because my intent was to only send your choices after the signups close. This way, you can still change your mind if you want, but I want to avoid the situation of people changing their era if they don't like the three cards they were sent. I know jabs has been handing out cards, so I may just decide to do the same. Appreciate your patience on this.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Also in for image. Swoosh era.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Cards have been passed out. If you joined text and have not received your cards from me, please let me know.

Remember, you can join both categories. If you're an image faker and wanna test your might in text, we'd love to have you.

Buddy2707

Aspiring Trainer
@Buddy2707 @Charmaster:) could I ask you to confirm your era selections for me before I send anything out?
Here they are- for text, SWSH Format and for Image...

We'll consider alternative boundaries for eras within reason, but we're not going to count specific formats as alternatives to eras. From one era to the next, power levels typically jump more than within one era by itself, so overlapping multiple eras results in a much broader power spread than we intend for. Similarly, cutting an era in half reduces your card pool by quite a lot, and we don't want you picking and choosing the eligible cards to that extent. :)
While I am willing to agree with your terms for your contest, I don't really understand if this means I am able to have a BTS-CRZ Format. If it is, great! If not, then you can consider this as confirmation to do just normal SSH format, like text. When you do end up getting me my 3 stage 2s, please let me know if I am making my submission for post-rotation format (because, as you can imagine, this will definitely effect my entry). Thank you!

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
While I am willing to agree with your terms for your contest, I don't really understand if this means I am able to have a BTS-CRZ Format. If it is, great! If not, then you can consider this as confirmation to do just normal SSH format, like text. When you do end up getting me my 3 stage 2s, please let me know if I am making my submission for post-rotation format (because, as you can imagine, this will definitely effect my entry). Thank you!
Ah yeah, sorry for the confusion. I can be okay with minor adjustments to the boundaries, like including Rocket vs not including Rocket in Classic, but since the spirit of the theme is to pick from a whole era, I can't let you split SwSh in half for your pick.

That said, you're welcome to make your submission for any format you like! The only rule is that you get cards from the era you specify.

@SleepyBoi @PMJ @Buddy2707 I'll send out your cards in the morning — thanks for your patience. :)

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
I guess there’s not much chance of me finishing multiple entries, but I think I’ll sign up for the EX block for image as well, just in case.
DFA37FA1-CF09-4AED-8E0E-E1A03F88B1A2.png

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
With that, sign-ups are now closed! Keep an eye on that deadline, and submit your card by the end of the month!

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
Woah I'm first for once

pmj edit https://pkmncards.com/card/tyrantrum-forbidden-light-fli-69/

Relicanth HP90 [F]
Basic Pokémon

[Ability] Restoration
Once during your turn,you may search in your deck for a Stage 2 [F] Pokémon,reveal it,and put it onto your bench.If you have fewer Pokémon in play than your opponent,search in your deck for a [F] Energy and attach it to that Pokémon.Then,shuffle your deck. You can’t use more than 1 Restoration Ability each turn.

[C][C] Ancient Seal
During your next turn,your opponent's Pokémon-GX have 30 HP less.

Weakness:[G]X2 Resistance:None Retreat Cost:[C][C][C]

The card that has been given to me for this contest was Forbidden Light Tyrantrum,and since it's a card that is more focused on offensive,I gave it a good setup,which is this Relicanth.Relicanth's ability works good with other Fighting Pokémon too,like FLI or UNM Garchomp,UPR Rampardos,and much more(?).I also gave Relicanth a nice attack for a Double Colorless energy to make easier to KO the opponents with Tyrantrum.
And I guess that's it,good luck to everyone!

Diego_Brando

British Jockey
Literally my entry rn:
I love the coexistence between EX and DPPt cards, they look so good next to each other. So I made this Delta Darkrai to go with the Infernape SF.
Nothing too wacky with the effects, it just makes you re-roll the coin at the cost of also evolving again yourself.
I'm aware clever effects are the point of this contest, but it's abundantly clear I know next to nothing about the tcg yet.
This is the best I can pull for now, but I'm looking forward to grow, so I'll get all the feedback I can!
Wanted to make an atmospheric lookin' Fairy Darkrai that scares all the Pokémon away, and then tries to sprinkle a rainbow on them (unfortunately they have just Metal and Colorless around, unless Infernape lends them a Red Energy.)
Yes, Colorless stands for Flying, Dragon, Normal AND Fairy in my sickly warped EX era, feel free to question that decision ;)
DarkraiDeltaContest.png

SleepyBoi

Aspiring Trainer
Swagsire (3).png

Stage 2 to synergize: https://pkmncards.com/card/blastoise-platinum-pl-2/

The synergy here is actually pretty direct. Quag attacks, bottom deck energies, then put 1 of them on the top of deck and Blastoise accelerates. The attack itself seems balanced, probably underwhelming if you are using it raw without the effect, because the intent of the card is to bottom deck your energies and cause the spread damage. If we think on the bigger picture of the gen 4 formats, there are some insane things about this card, or well, one very insane thing that count for a thousand, which is a very good synergy with the best card of the era: Claydol.

But this isn't about Claydol, it is about Blastoise instead, so I just gave a competent attacker for the turtle to work with, decided to make it Fighting type for extra synergy by hitting Lightning types with weakness and resisting them. I tried to enhance Blastoise's capabilities as an attacker, but it is just not good, so I tried to capitalize in its promising engine.

Alolan Teddiursa

Aspiring Trainer
Has it in game and anime, never available as a card.

dfqosoy-389321ff-156d-4453-9ec3-4c3e43eda47a.png

The card that I chose was Koga's Beedrill and both of it's attacks involve flipping coins. The main synergy between Koga's Venomoth and Koga's Beedrill is to spam Nerve Poison using Ninja Tactics. It might not be top tier but it could annoy the hell out of your opponent. You could also allow Risky Needles to be flipped once if needed.

Alolan Teddiursa

Aspiring Trainer
I forgot the credits: Huge Thanks for Zoxo on discord for fonts and placement and wording. The knowledge he has for the vintage era is amazing.

Falling Skies

The Traveler
Allow me to present my entry.

Banette HP: 80 [P]
353.png
Stage 1: Evolves from Shuppet

banette.png

NO.354 Marionette Pokémon HT: 3'7" WT: 27.6 lbs.
Ability: Abandonment Grudge
If this Pokémon is discarded from your hand by an effect of an attack or Ability from either player's Pokémon, your opponent reveals their hand. Choose a card you find there and discard it.

[P] Fearful Revival
During your opponent's turn, if this Pokémon would be Knocked Out by damage from an attack, you may return this Pokémon and all cards attached to it to your hand, then discard a card from your hand.

Weakness: [D] x2
Resistance: [F] -30
Retreat: [C]

Resentment at being cast off made it spring into being. Some say treating it well will satisfy it, and it will once more become a stuffed toy.

1679336472689.png

my main references were Amoonguss SIT, Weavile ASTR, and Torracat SIT.

I was blessed with three very interesting cards to choose from this month, so I made cards for all of them and then chose the one I liked the most. Hatterene RCL would have been an excellent card pre-BW, when setting up multiple stage 2s was a viable strategy. Given the era, it would probably be better to make a card which helps put this into play, but I did that for another CaC with a Chimecho and I don't feel as though it's the most interesting direction to go in.

I quite like this card. It fits with Banette's lore, I think "Fearful Revival" is one of my better attack names, and it does something unique that helps hatterene out tremendously by letting it go positive in card advantage instead of even, as while as mitigating the main problem of this effect: your opponent being able to choose makes it debatable if you're even putting them into a minus at all, necessitating multiple hatterenes on the same turn to really impact the game at all. Now, if you discard Banette, you get to actually put your opponent into a minus, as while as having targeted hand removal for the price of discarding a specific stage 1. That's really it, it's one interaction but lategame you could discard your opponent's entire hand with multiples of these, which is aided by Rescue Carrier being able to recover this directly to your hand. It's probably still in the realm of a gimmick because it's not a VSTAR with 280 HP, and it relies on sitting behind something like Miltank or the new Klefki, but I like it.

You are not supposed to ever attack with this card, but I still wanted to tie the attack into the ability somehow. It gives you some recovery and triggers the ability, at least.

Thank you for reading. I hope to redeem myself after last month.

LightningSpence836

Aspiring Trainer
Here's my entry:

Keldeo – [F] – HP 140
Basic
Z4QnnU-NjzN8j9Q-HxDsFGoaEOXSuFltJSXFAhLp1WHE5dLB4Im84whIl2WYxsCHmjxfBodsnNzArC2HdWc1o1GgNBCP44QlcVaCS6lbbBtFx_XnUJiHvT4aszdtlPV5_e1vcLRl87JfT8VauFMAFmM

NO. 647 Colt Pokémon HT: 4’07” WT: 106.9 lbs.

Ability: Enraged Spirit
Once during your turn (before you attack), you may attach a number of [F] Energy from your discard pile to one of your Pokémon equal to the number of cards discarded during your last turn by your Pokémon’s attacks or abilities.

[F][C] Valiant Aura 70
You may look at the top card of your deck. If it is a basic Energy card, discard it. Otherwise, put it into your hand.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C]
They say that Keldeo must survive harsh battles and fully develop the horn on its forehead before this Pokémon's true power will awaken.

One of my choices for this CAC was DAA Tyranitar. I decided to go with that: https://pkmncards.com/card/tyranitar-darkness-ablaze-daa-088/

Self mill is an option that the TCG has never really explored to a playable extent (to my knowledge at least), and it sounds really interesting. Hurting yourself for a big payoff is definitely a gamble, so I designed a card that hopefully gives self mill enough benefits to be playable. The strat is to load up a Tyranitar, swing with it (no pun intended), and then on your next turn use Enraged Spirit to power up another one-since your original Tyranitar is probably dead already. The only reference I used was Energy Switch SWSH. (Only to see if the b in basic energy is capitalized)