Contest March 2022 CaC: One Per Deck (All Results Up!)

Text-Based Results

meh. I wasn't a fan of this round tbh. Sorry this is late, I wasn't at my computer at all yesterday.

It's not completely busted. So you got that going for you, which is nice.

After giving it some thought, Infinity Warp is... okay. It's functionally similar to something like Solgaleo-GX's Ultra Road. It's a little telling that Ultra Road is on a Stage 2 and still only allows one extra movement per turn, and Infinity Warp is on a Basic (even if it is a Prism Star). Still, if you do want to retreat infinite times a turn, you need to pay the Retreat Cost infinite times, so I guess that balances it out.

Spatial Vortex's wording is a little unclear, but it doesn't drastically change the strength of the attack. It's not likely that either player's field is going to be full of Pokemon with more than 200 HP; I am guessing you would do 160-200 per attack on average, assuming that you also ran some Pokemon to pump up the damage. Losing all your Energy hurts, but you need some sort of drawback to prevent it from being overpowered.

Wording errors:
General
- Prism Star Rule missing [-2 points]
- In SM era, Water Pokemon are only weak to Lightning if they are also birds. Otherwise, it should be Grass. [-1 point]
- Fire Resistances haven't existed since the DP era. I'm all for custom Resistances, but we're going for realism here. This card should have no Resistance (and only -20 in SM era). [-1 point]
Infinity Warp
- Always, always, always capitalize the word Bench. Always. [-1 point]
- "...you may retreat your Pokemon as often as you like during your turn. [-1 point]
Spatial Vortex
- It's unclear whether or not the intent is to count Pokemon with a maximum HP of 210 or more or remaining HP of 210 or more. It's a minor distinction, but it still needs to be made. "...in play with maximum/remaining HP of 210 or more." [-2 points]
- "Discard all Energy from this Pokemon." (Empoleon CEC) [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 14/20
(Infinity Warp's functional similarity to existing powers dulls the wow factor)
Wording: 6/15
(Even though this is text, you still need all rules that image fakers would be required to have as well)
Believability/Playability: 12/15
(Prism Stars cap at 160 HP, this isn't a hard rule but with so many of them at that mark I see no reason to go even further beyond; Ultra Road on a Basic might be a little too good)
Total: 32/50
I think it's kind of fitting that your entry would be for a past era, given what the Pokemon is. I don't know if it was intentional on your part, but it's neat.

Yeah so anyway holy cow is this thing strong. Really strong.

This may be the unfornunate time where I say that I acknowledge the possibility you meant to say that Grass Pokemon pay [G] less to use its attack, but I have to grade you based on what you submitted, which means all Grass Pokemon pay only [G] to use their attacks. And that's bad news in ex era, where old Rare Candy rules means you can get big beefy Stage 2s like Sceptile ex and Dragonite ex up and attacking on turn one, to say nothing of Kleavor L itself, whose Frenzied Slash now costs G instead of GGFF. And it's not clear whether or not it works for your opponent as well, which would be quite the double-edged sword. I'm going to assume it's only meant to work for you.

As a way to pay G less, it's actually quite a good body. It's fitting for a one-per-deck in that era. Frenzied Slash is still extremely powerful, especially when you compare it to other one-per-deck cards. Since you can only have one, I don't mind the attack being kinda flippy, since the main draw of the card should be the Grass cost reduction, but it does far too much damage on average.

Wording errors:
General
- Since this is your own creation, I'm not going to knock you for the 100 HP (Pokemon Star don't go past 90) or double Weaknesses, even though I really want to. [-0 points]
Lord of the Wood
- "As long as Kleavor L is in play, the attack cost of each of your [G] Pokémon's attacks is now [G]." (Latias DS, Rayquaza HP) [-2 points]
Frenzied Slash
- "each of your opponent's Pokemon" [-1 point]
- "does 50 damage times the number of heads." [-2 points]
- "Each player discards the top card of his or her deck for each tails." (Camerupt ex EM, Banette PK) [-3 points]

(The attack cost reduction is pretty unique for the era and it fits well on a card you get only one copy of.)
Wording: 7/15
(Gotta bust out that spell check, brother.)
Believability/Playability: 4/15
(Again, I have to judge this as written, and it's severely overpowered as written. Frenzied Slash would still be way too strong, even with a cost of GFF.)
Total: 25/50
Extremely busted. Put a Big Charm on it, kill anything in the game for one Energy, and live to tell the tale. After you go down, Rescue Carrier it back into your hand and take your last 3 Prizes. Infinite Language is helpful I guess but I wouldn't rely on it. Even if you haven't discarded enough things to be dropping 400-HP nuke bombs quite yet, this card is still wildly efficient, being able to do substantial damage for a single attachment without having to rely on your opponent (like Galarian Zapdos V) or your hand (like the baby Galarian birds).

Wording errors:
Infinite Language
- "Once during your turn, if this Pokemon is in your discard pile and you have no cards in your discard pile with the same name, you may put this Pokemon onto your Bench. If you do, discard the top 3 cards of your deck." (Empoleon BRS) [-1 point, for the right wording in the wrong order]
Strong Wording
- "...this Pokemon also does 60 damage to itself." (Toxtricity FST) [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
(It's absurdly powerful but it's also fun to try and maximize the damage on this thing. Could almost build a deck around it.)
Wording: 13/15
(Almost...)
Believability/Playability: 9/15
(Its ability to tip the Prize trade in one's favor is second to none. It would be in every deck, no questions asked.)
Total: 38/50
This card is way better than First Ticket. First Ticket needed to be in your opening hand to work; this card just needs to be in your deck, which it always will be. Decks will be forced to run this card just because getting to choose whether or not you go first can mean the difference between a win and a loss. This is especially important in game 2 situations, where the losing player could miss out on an advantageous start for them just because they didn't play this card.

Lonely One is fine. I wouldn't waste a Single Strike Energy on it.

Wording errors:
General
- If you're going to specifically cite gen 4 mechanics, then I really should ding you for the -30 Resistance. However, I will let it slide because (sigh) custom mechanic. An extra ten damage ain't gonna hurt no one (it will hurt them 10 less!). [-0 points]
Lonely by Nature
- I'm pretty sure you need to specify that you need to reveal "every card" in your deck, not just "your deck" but there is no precedence for it. [-0 points]
- "...the only Pokemon that has "Cubone" in its name..." [-1 point]
- "...in your deck, you decide who goes first. (First Ticket DV) [-1 point]
- "(If both players reveal a Pokémon with the Lonely by Nature Ability..." (First Ticket DV) [-1 point]
Lonely One
- This wording is probably wrong somewhere but I can't be bothered to figure out how. It seems right enough for me to let any errors slide. [-0 points]

Creativity/Originality: 15/20
(Pretty cool on paper. It would be used in every deck, and that's not a good thing.)
Wording: 12/15
(>cites First Ticket as inspiration but forgets to use it as a source)
Believability/Playability: 10/15
(Like I said, this will be in all the top decks. Getting to choose who goes first is an SSS-tier Ability.)
Total: 37/50
I honestly don't even know what to make of this. Even assuming that the other "Organism" Ability cards are the other Deoxys formes, I have no way to gauge the strength of this card without know what those cards do. Are they all Prism Stars? What do these Abilities do? How are you supposed to realistically get 16 Space Virus counters when, assuming these are all Prism Stars, you would need to put them in play a total of seven separate times and thus can't ever have 4 Space Virus counters on your fourth Deoxys?

There are too many unknowns here. I might have more to say if you'd provided some context, but as it stands it's impossible to judge fairly. This is a fake that is highly dependent on other fakes, so it's imperative that you explain what those fakes are.

Wording errors:
Organism #2
- Commas should be inside the quotes (Elemental Badge) [-3 points]

Creativity/Originality: 10/20
(With more context, this could have been great)
(It's a good thing repeat offenses are only worth half a point. Good job with just the single error though.)
Believability/Playability: 7/15
(Though there's nothing mechanically wrong with the card, too much information is missing to accurately gauge playability)
Total: 29/50

3rd Place: I Like Shorts's Palkia Prism Star, with 32/50 points.
2nd Place: bbb888’s Cubone *X#, with 37/50 points.
1st Place: Falling Skies’s Radiant Unown, with 38/50 points.
Part of me is confused why Vom came 3rd even though I got more overall points but it isn't really a big deal. I kicked myself because I realised that I didn't put the rule in just after I posted the card. I'm pretty happy that I'm getting better at faking though:)

I don't know what you're talking about ;)

Text-Based Results

meh. I wasn't a fan of this round tbh. Sorry this is late, I wasn't at my computer at all yesterday.

It's not completely busted. So you got that going for you, which is nice.

After giving it some thought, Infinity Warp is... okay. It's functionally similar to something like Solgaleo-GX's Ultra Road. It's a little telling that Ultra Road is on a Stage 2 and still only allows one extra movement per turn, and Infinity Warp is on a Basic (even if it is a Prism Star). Still, if you do want to retreat infinite times a turn, you need to pay the Retreat Cost infinite times, so I guess that balances it out.

Spatial Vortex's wording is a little unclear, but it doesn't drastically change the strength of the attack. It's not likely that either player's field is going to be full of Pokemon with more than 200 HP; I am guessing you would do 160-200 per attack on average, assuming that you also ran some Pokemon to pump up the damage. Losing all your Energy hurts, but you need some sort of drawback to prevent it from being overpowered.

Wording errors:
General
- Prism Star Rule missing [-2 points]
- In SM era, Water Pokemon are only weak to Lightning if they are also birds. Otherwise, it should be Grass. [-1 point]
- Fire Resistances haven't existed since the DP era. I'm all for custom Resistances, but we're going for realism here. This card should have no Resistance (and only -20 in SM era). [-1 point]
Infinity Warp
- Always, always, always capitalize the word Bench. Always. [-1 point]
- "...you may retreat your Pokemon as often as you like during your turn. [-1 point]
Spatial Vortex
- It's unclear whether or not the intent is to count Pokemon with a maximum HP of 210 or more or remaining HP of 210 or more. It's a minor distinction, but it still needs to be made. "...in play with maximum/remaining HP of 210 or more." [-2 points]
- "Discard all Energy from this Pokemon." (Empoleon CEC) [-1 point]

(Infinity Warp's functional similarity to existing powers dulls the wow factor)
Wording: 6/15
(Even though this is text, you still need all rules that image fakers would be required to have as well)
Believability/Playability: 12/15
(Prism Stars cap at 160 HP, this isn't a hard rule but with so many of them at that mark I see no reason to go even further beyond; Ultra Road on a Basic might be a little too good)
Total: 32/50
I think it's kind of fitting that your entry would be for a past era, given what the Pokemon is. I don't know if it was intentional on your part, but it's neat.

Yeah so anyway holy cow is this thing strong. Really strong.

This may be the unfornunate time where I say that I acknowledge the possibility you meant to say that Grass Pokemon pay [G] less to use its attack, but I have to grade you based on what you submitted, which means all Grass Pokemon pay only [G] to use their attacks. And that's bad news in ex era, where old Rare Candy rules means you can get big beefy Stage 2s like Sceptile ex and Dragonite ex up and attacking on turn one, to say nothing of Kleavor L itself, whose Frenzied Slash now costs G instead of GGFF. And it's not clear whether or not it works for your opponent as well, which would be quite the double-edged sword. I'm going to assume it's only meant to work for you.

As a way to pay G less, it's actually quite a good body. It's fitting for a one-per-deck in that era. Frenzied Slash is still extremely powerful, especially when you compare it to other one-per-deck cards. Since you can only have one, I don't mind the attack being kinda flippy, since the main draw of the card should be the Grass cost reduction, but it does far too much damage on average.

Wording errors:
General
- Since this is your own creation, I'm not going to knock you for the 100 HP (Pokemon Star don't go past 90) or double Weaknesses, even though I really want to. [-0 points]
Lord of the Wood
- "As long as Kleavor L is in play, the attack cost of each of your [G] Pokémon's attacks is now [G]." (Latias DS, Rayquaza HP) [-2 points]
Frenzied Slash
- "each of your opponent's Pokemon" [-1 point]
- "does 50 damage times the number of heads." [-2 points]
- "Each player discards the top card of his or her deck for each tails." (Camerupt ex EM, Banette PK) [-3 points]

(The attack cost reduction is pretty unique for the era and it fits well on a card you get only one copy of.)
Wording: 7/15
(Gotta bust out that spell check, brother.)
Believability/Playability: 4/15
(Again, I have to judge this as written, and it's severely overpowered as written. Frenzied Slash would still be way too strong, even with a cost of GFF.)
Total: 25/50
Extremely busted. Put a Big Charm on it, kill anything in the game for one Energy, and live to tell the tale. After you go down, Rescue Carrier it back into your hand and take your last 3 Prizes. Infinite Language is helpful I guess but I wouldn't rely on it. Even if you haven't discarded enough things to be dropping 400-HP nuke bombs quite yet, this card is still wildly efficient, being able to do substantial damage for a single attachment without having to rely on your opponent (like Galarian Zapdos V) or your hand (like the baby Galarian birds).

Wording errors:
Infinite Language
- "Once during your turn, if this Pokemon is in your discard pile and you have no cards in your discard pile with the same name, you may put this Pokemon onto your Bench. If you do, discard the top 3 cards of your deck." (Empoleon BRS) [-1 point, for the right wording in the wrong order]
Strong Wording
- "...this Pokemon also does 60 damage to itself." (Toxtricity FST) [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 16/20
(It's absurdly powerful but it's also fun to try and maximize the damage on this thing. Could almost build a deck around it.)
Wording: 13/15
(Almost...)
Believability/Playability: 9/15
(Its ability to tip the Prize trade in one's favor is second to none. It would be in every deck, no questions asked.)
Total: 38/50
This card is way better than First Ticket. First Ticket needed to be in your opening hand to work; this card just needs to be in your deck, which it always will be. Decks will be forced to run this card just because getting to choose whether or not you go first can mean the difference between a win and a loss. This is especially important in game 2 situations, where the losing player could miss out on an advantageous start for them just because they didn't play this card.

Lonely One is fine. I wouldn't waste a Single Strike Energy on it.

Wording errors:
General
- If you're going to specifically cite gen 4 mechanics, then I really should ding you for the -30 Resistance. However, I will let it slide because (sigh) custom mechanic. An extra ten damage ain't gonna hurt no one (it will hurt them 10 less!). [-0 points]
Lonely by Nature
- I'm pretty sure you need to specify that you need to reveal "every card" in your deck, not just "your deck" but there is no precedence for it. [-0 points]
- "...the only Pokemon that has "Cubone" in its name..." [-1 point]
- "...in your deck, you decide who goes first. (First Ticket DV) [-1 point]
- "(If both players reveal a Pokémon with the Lonely by Nature Ability..." (First Ticket DV) [-1 point]
Lonely One
- This wording is probably wrong somewhere but I can't be bothered to figure out how. It seems right enough for me to let any errors slide. [-0 points]

Creativity/Originality: 15/20
(Pretty cool on paper. It would be used in every deck, and that's not a good thing.)
(>cites First Ticket as inspiration but forgets to use it as a source)
Believability/Playability: 10/15
(Like I said, this will be in all the top decks. Getting to choose who goes first is an SSS-tier Ability.)
Total: 37/50
I honestly don't even know what to make of this. Even assuming that the other "Organism" Ability cards are the other Deoxys formes, I have no way to gauge the strength of this card without know what those cards do. Are they all Prism Stars? What do these Abilities do? How are you supposed to realistically get 16 Space Virus counters when, assuming these are all Prism Stars, you would need to put them in play a total of seven separate times and thus can't ever have 4 Space Virus counters on your fourth Deoxys?

There are too many unknowns here. I might have more to say if you'd provided some context, but as it stands it's impossible to judge fairly. This is a fake that is highly dependent on other fakes, so it's imperative that you explain what those fakes are.

Wording errors:
Organism #2
- Commas should be inside the quotes (Elemental Badge) [-3 points]

Creativity/Originality: 10/20
(With more context, this could have been great)
(It's a good thing repeat offenses are only worth half a point. Good job with just the single error though.)
Believability/Playability: 7/15
(Though there's nothing mechanically wrong with the card, too much information is missing to accurately gauge playability)
Total: 29/50

3rd Place: I Like Shorts's Palkia Prism Star, with 32/50 points.
2nd Place: bbb888’s Cubone *X#, with 37/50 points.
1st Place: Falling Skies’s Radiant Unown, with 38/50 points.

I noticed that "who" and "both players" are not really used in today's format; instead it's "each player". I know First Ticket is an old card, so I purposely tried to modernize its wording for my custom mechanic.
I probably forgot to mention that in the note, but I thought it was clear, considering that CaC entries must use current Standard wording unless otherwise stated by the entrant. And I only "borrowed" the Gen 4 bottom stats, not the wording.

Being used in every top deck is a good thing tho, like Crobat V and Inteleon.

Also what does SSS-tier mean? Super Saiyan Spiritbomb?? ?

Back