Contest March 2020 CaC: Generation 8 (All Results Up!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DashKing

Aspiring Trainer
In for text!

[
Galarian Cursola
Type: [P] – HP100
Stage 1 – Evolves from Galarian Corsola

Ability: Spectral Vengeance
Once during your turn, you may discard as many of your Benched Pokémon as you like. Put 1 damage counter on 1 of your opponent’s Pokémon for each card discarded in this way. If you use this Ability, your turn ends.

[P][C] Spectral Punishment: 10
Discard all basic [P] Energy from this Pokémon. Put 2 damage counters on each of your opponent’s Basic Pokémon for each energy discarded in this way. The Defending Pokémon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn.

[P][P][P][P] Spectral Forgiveness:
Heal all damage from all Pokémon (both yours and your opponent’s). If more than 30 damage counters were removed in this way from your opponent’s Pokémon, take a Prize card.

Weakness: Dark (x2)
Resistance:Fighting (-20)
Retreat: [C][C][C]

Its shell is overflowing with its heightened otherworldly energy. The ectoplasm serves as protection for this Pokémon’s core spirit, the remnants of the coral reef the Pokémon once inhabited.
]

[
References:
Rillaboom SWSH
M Gardevoir EX STS
Giratina LST
Zacian V SWSH
Rockruff GUR
Ultra Necrozma FBL
Max Potion GUR
Naganadel Guzzlord TTGX]

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Can’t let you all have fun without me! /in

I spent my entire weekend procrastinating on uni and doing an entry instead, and then uni got cancelled... so that works out

Last edited:

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Well, here's the first image-based entry, and who else but our lovely new very own Peter Griffin! JK miss thang!

Anyways, here's my entry!

ddsj1x3-5733b6f0-21ed-4b06-9172-6e2cdc9f6ca8.png

Greedent GX

The artwork is a trace off of a clip from the 23rd Pokemon movie trailer! I used Noivern GX as a reference when placing the energy symbols and text. Thanks goes to Asche for blanks, texture and Symbols and to Neko for holofoil (yes there's a little in there)! The evolution icon comes from Pokemon Home! Good luck to everyone competing! :D

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
The amount of time this took to make is utterly unacceptable... but it's nearly worth it!

ddst643-dbb6aa55-2c97-435e-8467-427845bbdd1d.png

This is the first GX that I've ever made, so obligatory disclaimer that all the placements look wonky but are probably all wrong. Really happy with how the art turned out! Pokemon rendered by me, the background is Unsplash stock graph of an apple orchid... not that you can actually see it.

References:
Ability: Malamar BUS, Porygon-Z AOR, Tapu Koko-GX ("other Pokemon"), Luvdisc Platinum (stylistic choice - "Pokemon you chose" is slightly clearer than "that Pokemon" in this case).
Attack: Druddigon UNM, Clefairy CEC ("your new Active Pokemon")
GX-Attack: Arceus-GX Tag Team, Entei LOT, Wishiwashi CEC ("at the end...")

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
My entry.
Duraludon VMAX
Type [M] – HP340
VMAX Pokémon (Gigantamax) – Evolves from Duraludon V

[M][M][C] Max Steelspike: 120
During your opponent’s next turn, this Pokémon takes 40 less damage from attacks (after applying Weakness and Resistance).

[M][M][M][C] Giganto Deplete: 160
Choose 1 of your opponent’s Active Pokémon’s attacks. That Pokémon can’t use that attack during your opponent’s next turn.

When your Pokémon VMAX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 3 Prize cards.

Weakness:
Resistance: Grass (-30)
Retreat: [C][C][C][C]

KnightofDust

your future past waits
here you go
Artwork by the amazing Jade UMIKIN
Blanks and symbols by CardPone

Cofagrigus (LOT 100)
Cofagrigus (NVI 47)
Stoutland (CEC 248)
Blastoise & Piplup-GX (CEC 253)
Marshadow & Machamp-GX (UNB 221)
Tsareena (SM 26)
Volcarona-GX (CEC 252)
Blissey (LOT 153)
Pheromosa-GX (UPR 158)
Entei (SM 219)

Nyora

A Cat
1 am coal guy

Coalossol HP 180 Fighting
Stage 2 - Evolves from Carkol

NO. 839 Coal Pokémon HT: 9’02” WT: 684.5 lbs.

/Ability/ ~ Bloody Tar
The Special Condition Burned is not recovered when your opponent’s Pokémon move to the Bench. If your opponent’s Pokémon recover from the Special Condition Burned, put 2 damage counters on that Pokémon.

[F][F][F] Eruption Impact 130
You may use this attack for [R][R][R][R]. If you do, the Defending Pokémon is now Burned and you may do 60 damage to 2 of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon instead of 130 damage to their Active Pokémon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

While it’s engaged in battle, its mountain of coal will burn bright red, sending off sparks that scorch the surrounding area.

Weakness: Water x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: 4

1 am coal guy

Nyora

A Cat
So coalossoal’s attack wording you notice is different from Golduck, which I’m pretty sure is the closest if only reference I can find for the attack. But it’s worded that way because just instead of their Active Pokémon sounds incomplete and wrong. The you may instead of can at the start of the attack is to clarify a choice because Idt can clarifies that all too well.

P3DS

UK VGC Regs Champ 2015
Here is my entry:
Corviknight VMAX – [M] – HP330
VMAX – Evolves from Corviknight V (Gigantamax)

[M] Blade Birds
Discard up to 8 [M] Energy from this Pokémon. For each Energy card discarded in this way, choose one of your opponent's Pokémon and put 3 damage counters on it.

[M][M][C] G-Max Wind Rage 150
Discard all Special Energy and Pokemon Tool cards from each of your opponent's Pokémon

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-30)
Retreat: [C][C][C]
I decided on the big metal birb of the region.

Blade Birbs

The eight feathers on its back are called blade birds, and they can launch off its body to attack foes independently.
Shield GMax dex entry.

It has 8 blades, hence the 'up to 8' clause, as each discarded metal energy represents a singular blade birb targeting a Pokemon. 30 felt right, inspired by Bronzong BREAK's metal rain, however, it is capped, but can do serious damage. A simple sniping attack, that can go a bit madder the more energy you have attached. Hence why I kept the discard portion.

G-Max Wind Rage

G-Max Wind Rage is Corviknight GMax's signature move. It removes screens and such from the target field, like Defog, but offensive. I decided that defog would get rid of tools and special energy (Both are usually grouped together these days on removal.). Tools were initially the main focus, basically a major gust storm blew them away, but then I added special energy, similar to Skarmory SUM

Everything else
I gave it the typical flying W/R, as its a bird. I chose Metal typing to reign it in a bit, as the first attack could go wild with current generic energy support (Malamar, Welder...). 330 HP, giving it some natural bulk, as it is a bulky birb, giving it the same HP as rillaboom. 3 Retreat - its 2 in SSH, but its a bigger birb, so 3

Bronzong BREAK (FCO 62)
Skarmory (SUM 88)
Faretch'd (TEU 127)
Charizard (TEU 14)
Snorlax VMAX (SSH 142)

Pone

Delta Species is best species
After a handful of ordinary cards, I figure the has come to do something a little more flashy. This time we take Omnium full-arts it to another level with my new, custom-made textures! They took more time than every other element of this card combined, but I think it was worth it, though I wish I had a little more time to mess with the lighting on Dragapult. Oh well. I don't think he looks bad as-is.

If you like the blanks, check out my thread for them here! You will need Photoshop, and I recommend CS6. Textures are not currently implemented, but they will be eventually!

CaC_06_-_Dragapult_Full_Art.png
Dragapult – Dragon/Psychic – HP130
Stage 2 - Evolves from Drakloak
This Pokémon is both [N][P] type.

Ability: Stealth Approach
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is 1 of your face-up Prize cards and your Bench isn't full, you may put it onto your Bench. If you do, add the top card of your deck to your Prize cards face down.

[P][C][C] Ghost Missile 40x
Before doing damage, you may attach a Dreepy from your discard pile to this Pokémon. This attack does 40 damage times the amount of Dreepy that are anywhere under this Pokémon.

Weakness: Darkness/Fairy +30
Resistance: Fighting -20
Retreat: None
#887 Stealth Pokémon HT: 9’ 10” WT: 110.2 lbs.

Sword: When it isn't battling, it keeps Dreepy in the holes on its horns. Once a fight starts, it launches the Dreepy like supersonic missiles.

Illus. Nyan - ©2020 Pokémon/CardPone - CaC 06
Dreepy – Dragon/Psychic – HP40
Basic
This Pokémon is both [N][P] type.

Ability: Prime for Launch
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is on your Bench, you may discard all cards attached to it and attach it to one of your Pokémon in play with Dragapult in its name. The attacks of the Pokémon this card is attached to do 10 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon.

[C] Mach Ram 10+
If a Pokémon with Dragapult in its name is on your Bench, this attack does 20 more damage.

Weakness: Darkness/Fairy +10
Resistance: Fighting -20
Retreat: [C]
#885 Lingering Pokémon HT: 1’ 8” WT: 4.4 lbs.

Sword: After being reborn as a ghost Pokémon, Dreepy wanders the areas it used to inhabit back when it was alive in prehistoric seas.

Illus. ___ - ©2020 Pokémon/CardPone - CaC 07
I had expected more or less that Generation 8 would be the theme of this month's CaC as I had heard some talk about it and... why wouldn't there be a Generation 8 CaC? I had come up with this idea for an ability way back in January's CaC while I was thinking of more ways prizes could be interacted with. Sadly I had to choose just one such ability for Sawsbuck, so this time around I'm using the other idea I came up with! I think this one is much more interesting, and with Dragapult being a Ghost type, it's so much more thematic than it would have been for Sawsbuck. Therefore, Dragapult had to be the choice here.

Just like any other entry I make with the Omnium Template, the following should be known for this entry:
  • The wording is SM or the latest syntax of a specific effect if no such effect exists in the SM era.
  • The layout for the attack area is based off of the classic/Neo era. Following that, "Ability" is written in the same red text as the ability name.
  • All Omnium cards are meant to be balanced for the 2010-2011 Standard Rotation, or slightly more broadly any set from Diamond & Pearl base set to Noble Victories.
  • Fonts and placements should be pixel-perfect as they were made using my templates, which places all the fonts exactly where they should be.
Originally I started this card thinking it would be another regular art card, and there was going to be a little scene of Dragapult resting with head on the ground with a bunch of Dreepy playing on his face. Unfortunately, my artist got a sudden influx of work and wouldn't have been able to finish it in time. This being a full art, I'm inclined to still use the normal-art concept in one of my main sets.

At this point it's obligatory that I make a dual-type card of any Pokémon I use that has two types, so it shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone that this card is Dragon/Psychic type. It's inclusion is sporadic and underutilized in the core game, so I'm gonna use it as much as I can in my own fakes.

Weakness and resistance are again a combination of the two types. The Darkness weakness comes from the Ghost typing and the Fairy weakness comes from the Dragon typing. He gets +30 because his HP is over 100 and he's a Stage 2 and this is a DPPt-balanced set. The Fighting resistance comes from the Ghost typing. Free retreat because he has the highest base speed of all pseudolegendary Pokémon by quite a large margin and I think his cards should reflect that. Surely TPCi will print at least one Dragapult card with free retreat in the future. The 130 HP is taken straight off of Garchomp from Supreme Victors.

As noted above, I actually came up with the idea for Stealth Approach during January's CaC, but I suspected I would be able to use it on a Dragapult for this CaC is it's more appropriate on a Ghost type, so I tucked it away until its time came. Ordinarily abilities don't activate from your prizes because they're private knowledge, but since both players see any face-up Prize cards, why not use that as a new way to use abilities? It's public knowledge and as far as I know there's no other card that's taken advantage of that. In this particular case, you're rewarded for prizing this Pokémon by getting a fast-track to a Stage 2 Pokémon, which is pretty rare (from memory, I only know Talonflame STS 96 as the only other Pokémon with such a fast-track, or Cradily PLB 4, who can provide fast-tracks to many Stage 2 Pokémon). But if you do it this way, it comes with the drawback that his attack will do no damage unless you've found a way to get some Dreepy in your discard pile or to get the context Dreepy I made above onto your Bench. As for viability, this effect goes hand-in-hand with mine and Kavross' Sawsbuck entry from last CaC, lending more viability to both of them. Additionally, if ever a Town Map or Team Rocket's Secret Mission card ever made it into the same format as this card, it would make it a lot easier to take full advantage of.

As for Ghost Missile, this turned out to be a bit of a pain to figure out the wording for. The goal is for it to count 40 damage for the Dreepy it evolved from, if any, as well as 40 damage for each Dreepy that was attached to it either by this attack or by the ability of a Dreepy. I really didn't want to have two damage clauses, so I ended up going way back to DPPt cards that interacted with baby forms and went with that. Dreepy that are attached to Dragapult are "anywhere under" that Dragapult and so is the Dreepy it evolved from. Also, for clarification, I specifically avoided that Dreepy attaches to Dragapult as a Tool or Special Energy card. Dreepy providing energy is definitely not the goal of the effects and a damage cap of 80 (or 90 if you count Dreepy's ability) is way too low for that cost and for a Stage 2 Pokémon. They're sort of their own thing in this case. If everything goes to plan - no Dreepy prized, Dragapult is prized (or brought in with Cradily PLB), and you draw all your Dreepy, this has potential to be a devastating attack, with a damage output of 160 if you don't use my Dreepy or 200 if you do use my Dreepy.

For once I've made a card that's not just effective in the early game, but can continue to be a good card throughout the game. I should do that more often. :p
General
Stealth Approach
  • Minior CES 83: ("Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is ... and your Bench isn't full...") There seems to be an even split of cards with abilities that would add themselves to your Bench that do and that don't include "...and your bench isn't full." Darkrai GX BUS 88, Giratina LOT 97, and Eelektross UNM 66 don't include it while Minior CES 83, Jirachi ♢ CES 97, and Gloom UNB 7 do. I'm choosing to include it to eliminate any possibility of confusion.
  • Notes from Januray 2020's CaC: ("...face-up Prize cards...")
  • Darkrai GX BUS 88 / Jirachi ♢ CES 97: ("...you may put it onto your Bench.")
  • Nihilego GX CIN 49: ("Add the top [card] of your...deck to [your] Prize cards...) I'm adding "face down" to the end of this because it is taking a face-up Prize card and replacing it with a face-down Prize card, as I did with January 2020's CaC.
  • "1 of your face-up Prize cards" isn't really precedented as far as I can tell, but this is correct to the best of my knowledge.
Ghost Missile
  • Gourgeist CIN 45: ("Before doing damage, you may...")
  • Naganadel LOT 108: ("...you may attach a [Dreepy] from your discard pile to this Pokémon.")
  • Ninjask LOT 30: ("...a [Dreepy]...") Basically this confirms that the "a" should be there because it's from your discard pile. That makes a difference for some reason.
  • Lunala GRI 61: ("This attack does 40 damage times the amount of [Dreepy]...")
  • Roselia SF 72: ("...anywhere under [this Pokémon]") This goes all the way back to DPPt wording because there isn't really a precedent for this kind of effect in the modern era. The idea is that the damage would include any Dreepy that are attached to Dragapult as well as the one it evolved from. Steff and I talked about how else it could be worded, but nothing else really worked for me. This is the best wording I can come up with to include that effect.
  • The Dragapult was rendered by @Nyan . Thanks so much for working with me to get him looking so good!
  • The background is from a wallpaper site.
  • Everything else, except for the fonts, the evocon, and the Create-a-Card symbol, are by me.
Special thanks to the PTCG Faking Community Discord Server and friends from my Pokémon League for all the input they provided as I made this card!

Once again, Thanks so much to @Nyan for rendering the Dragapult artwork for me! I would have been in a real pickle without you!

Thanks so much to the judges and PokéBeach for making this possible! And to everyone else that entered, I wish you the best of luck!

ThePigThatCriedRii

Aspiring Trainer
Here's my entry!

Flapple - [G] Pokémon - 80 HP
Stage 1 - Evolves from Applin

Ability: Fruit Drop
While you are searching your deck with the effect of a Supporter card, you may play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench. If you do, put 2 damage counters on 1 of your opponent's Pokémon.

[C][C]: Big Harvest 50
Shuffle this Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your deck. Then, if your opponent's Active Pokémon has 10 or more damage counters on it or your opponent's Active Pokémon was Knocked Out by damage from this attack, draw 3 cards.

Weakness: Fire x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C]

sandragon13

Aspiring Trainer
Here is my entry:
Galarian Runerigus - [P] - HP 110
Stage 1 - Evolves from Galarian Yamask

Ability: Rune Reader
Once during your turn, you may use this Ability. Choose 2:
  • Look at your opponent’s hand
  • Shuffle your deck
  • Return any Stadium card in play to its player’s hand
  • Look at all of your face-down Prize cards
You cannot use the effect of more than 1 Rune Reader Ability each turn.

[P] Out of the Brickwork 20+
If either player played a Stadium card from their hand during their last turn, this attack does 90 more damage.

[P] [P] [P] Tragic Witness 30x
Discard up to 2 Supporter cards from your hand. Then, this attack does 30 damage times the number of Supporter cards in your discard pile.

Weakness: [G] (x2)
Resistance: [F] (-20)
Retreat: [C] [C]
Never touch its shadowlike body, or you’ll be shown the horrific memories behind the picture carved into it.
The Ability Rune Reader is a bulleted list, which was something I don't recall seeing in the past on cards, so no idea if there is any precedent for that. The four effects come from the four Alph Lithograph cards from the HG/SS era, which echoed the motif of carved messages and long-forgotten secrets. Out of the Brickwork adapts a concept which first came from moves such Secret Wonders Absol's Raid attack, where effects were dependent upon this or other cards entering play that turn.

Thanks to my colleagues on the PTCG Faking Community Discord group for their input.

Clam

Almost decent
my entry
Dracovish V
Dracovish V 180 HP type-water, evolution-basic
Ability: Fossil Fuel.
Once during your turn you may put your active Unidentified Fossil in the lost zone if you do you may use the Fishy Bite attack for 2 less [W] energy. If you do, ignore the effects of the Fishy Bite attack.

Attack: Fishy Bite [W][W][W][W] 140+
This attack does 50 more damage.

weakness: [G] resistance: none

Pokemon V rule When your pokemon V is knocked out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards SPOILER/]

wow I don't think I had alerts for this on?? but I do remember watching this thread...

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
He is done and I will not touch it further; the readability I will give up on and the "tooth" (it does say teeth but it still looks off) can stay as it is, I'm just done XP

I tell you, competing for image in this thing is hard XD

Belly Drum:
- Froslass UNM
- Whimsicott CEC
- Arceus & Dialga & Palkia-GX CEC
- Herdier CEC

Last Resort:
- Hitmonlee TEU
- Whismur CES
- Mimikyu TEU
- Beedrill TEU
- Seismitoad CEC

I just hope it posts in here ok >.>

[SPOILER: Notes] @chico the placement of the CaC symbol isn't intended to be derivative of your past entries, but as I found out you've been doing this for a while.

Mad props to everyone in the Faking Community Discord, especially @CardPone and, a bit more indirectly, @aschefield101 since I used his blanks.

Wording is SM, balancing is Lackey's Expanded Modern, which if you don't want to judge against is comparable to Standard.

Art by me <3[/SPOILER]

Status
Not open for further replies.