Manti Teʻo - Was he scamming, or was he scammed?

Discussion in 'Beachfront Hangout' started by omahanime, Jan 18, 2013.

1. omahanime Come and visit me.
    omahanime

Elite Member Advanced Member Member

Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o led his team to the BCS championship game and was runner-up for the Heisman Trophy in 2012. Te'o's reputation and fan following soared after it became known that his girlfriend, named Lennay Kekua, passed away from leukemia in September 2012, just six hours after his grandmother Annette Santiago died. In spite of adversity, Te'o, 21, went on to have an incredible season representing one of the most inspirational stories in college football. Te'o, who is of Samoan descent and grew up in Hawaii, graduated from Notre Dame in December and is expected to be a top pick in the 2013 NFL draft. On Wednesday Jan. 17, a story by the sports site Deadspin alleged that Manti Te'o's girlfriend never existed.

2. PG24 <Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
    PG24

Badges Staff Advanced Member Member

I'm still waiting for Te'o to speak before I start making too many assumptions. There's just way too many discrepancies and inconsistencies in this story that need to be sorted out before we can really say things. Hopefully that should all clear up when Te'o speaks about the issue. Right now it's looking like he was actually duped, although to be fair it's partly his fault for getting in an online relationship with someone he hasn't even seen in real life.

3. omahanime Come and visit me.
    omahanime

This story has jumped the shark.

4. Juliacoolo Hi I'm Anthony, it's nice to meet you :) CLS '21
    Juliacoolo

Forum Head Forum Security Activities Head Badges Head Chat Room Head Website Staff Elite Member Advanced Member Member

I had an imaginary girlfriend too, but that was at age seven. This guy needs to grow up.

5. Shining Raikou Your friendly neighborhood Raikou fan!
    Shining Raikou

Forum Head Badges Head Chat Room Head Website Staff Elite Member Advanced Member Member

I thought this was every other week.

jk.

But seriously, seems like a childish lie taken too far.

6. PG24 <Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
    PG24

Badges Staff Advanced Member Member

He speaks! ESPN gives Manti an off-camera interview where he denies being a part of the hoax and answers questions about events leading up to the hoax. There should be something on ESPN.com about it right now if anyone wants to check.

7. Juliacoolo Hi I'm Anthony, it's nice to meet you :) CLS '21
    Juliacoolo

Forum Head Forum Security Activities Head Badges Head Chat Room Head Website Staff Elite Member Advanced Member Member

[​IMG]

Sean Glennon ‏@SeanGlennon7
    #Manti wasn't missing tackles against Alabama. He was hugging his girlfriend.

*Edit* I just thought of something. When a girl takes a fake identity and fools a guy into dating him, the guy gets called a fraud. If a guy tricks a girl into being her "boyfriend", it's labeled pedophilia/predation. Maybe we should cut this guy some slack.

MountainDrew likes this.
  8. omahanime Come and visit me.
    omahanime

Why cut him slack when he might be in on it?

He is unable to keep his facts straight.

9. One Approved

Chat Room Staff Advanced Member Member

No, Zack. Blake is the one with imaginary girlfriends every other week.

/me runs

While I do agree that Te'o could have been in on it, it's also possible he was scammed. He never actually met the girl IRL if this isn't a hoax. It's possible that he was scammed into it, and then carried on saying the same thing afterwards. If you had been telling sports people that your girlfriend died of cancer for a couple weeks, then you suddenly find out it's a hoax, you could argue that it would have been easier for Te'o to just continue saying the same thing. It's very possible that Te'o had a hoax created out of a hoax. If that makes any sense.

10. SkySheild21 Pepe Master
    SkySheild21

I would say that at first he had no clue what was going on but then as time went on, he eventually found out and just played along with it.

11. omahanime Come and visit me.
    omahanime

Sept. 12, 2012 (afternoon): Te’o is informed of Kekua’s passing by her older brother, Koa (Sports Illustrated).

Is Koa imaginary?

12. Haunted Water DEFT Lunar
    Haunted Water

He actually confessed to the lie earlier today. I still don't see why people should really care if he was hoaxed or he was hoaxing.

13. Familiar Make 7up Yours!!!!!!
    Familiar

^ I care because I want to know if he is naive or he is hiding something. I heard the girl whose picture was used on the Facebook was identified and she was not involved in the hoax. I don't understand how you can meet someone. Call them your girlfriend for 3 years. And not ask WHY her Facebook photo is different then who you met and bring home to the family.

This has the makings of a "made for TV movie". - Motive?

14. omahanime Come and visit me.
    omahanime

Dr. Phil says he is innocent.

15. Guts CyberPhunk
    Guts

Case Closed.

16. omahanime Come and visit me.
    omahanime

It is not over yet. There are too many things that do not jive.

17. r3skyline UAV MECHANIC
    r3skyline

Such as ?

18. Guts CyberPhunk
    Guts

Dr. Phil is the utmost authority on jive.

Bo$$_89 likes this.
  19. omahanime Come and visit me.
    omahanime

How about this for starts.

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?

Moderated By

GrandPanacea, Juliacoolo, Tails