Manti Teʻo - Was he scamming, or was he scammed?

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o led his team to the BCS championship game and was runner-up for the Heisman Trophy in 2012. Te'o's reputation and fan following soared after it became known that his girlfriend, named Lennay Kekua, passed away from leukemia in September 2012, just six hours after his grandmother Annette Santiago died. In spite of adversity, Te'o, 21, went on to have an incredible season representing one of the most inspirational stories in college football. Te'o, who is of Samoan descent and grew up in Hawaii, graduated from Notre Dame in December and is expected to be a top pick in the 2013 NFL draft. On Wednesday Jan. 17, a story by the sports site Deadspin alleged that Manti Te'o's girlfriend never existed.

I'm still waiting for Te'o to speak before I start making too many assumptions. There's just way too many discrepancies and inconsistencies in this story that need to be sorted out before we can really say things. Hopefully that should all clear up when Te'o speaks about the issue. Right now it's looking like he was actually duped, although to be fair it's partly his fault for getting in an online relationship with someone he hasn't even seen in real life.

This story has jumped the shark.

Report: Manti Te'o Told Family That Fake Girlfriend Faked Her Death to Elude Drug Dealers
One more bizarre twist to the Manti Te'o fake girlfriend scandal.

Manti Te'o has told family and friends that the woman who was the voice of his fictitious girlfriend “Lennay Kekua” called him in December and said she had to fake her own death months earlier to elude drug dealers, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser has learned. The woman, who has yet to be identified, tried to re-engage a relationship with Te‘o months after she supposedly had died of leukemia in early September, the Notre Dame All-American linebacker has told the people close to him. The account was shared with the Star-Advertiser by a source close to the Te‘o family. According to the account, Te'o asked the woman to transmit a photo to him with a date stamp, which she did, but this did not allay his suspicions and he later told his family and Notre Dame officials about being scammed.
EXCLUSIVE: Woman tried new hoax in December call to Te'o - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Cancer Fund Named After Manti Te'o Fake 'Girlfriend' Continues Collecting Money, Despite Hoax
Let's not let the truth get in the way of raising money, right?

Fans and supporters were dismayed to learn on Wednesday that the heartbreaking love story of Manti Te'o and his cancer-stricken girlfriend was an elaborate hoax. But one Notre Dame fan says he will continue to raise funds and awareness for the disease, even though it was initially inspired by a battle that never took place. Dan Tudesco, the devoted Fighting Irish fan who started a fundraiser in honor of Te'o's girlfriend who was revealed to have never existed, said he won’t let the unnerving details of the hoax stand in the way of supporting actual cancer victims. He told The Huffington Post of his continued efforts after an explosive Deadspin.com article posted Wednesday unveiled that Lennay Kekua, the 22-year-old whom Te’o said he supported through her cancer treatment up until her death, was completely made up. “If a positive thing can come out of this sad and cautionary tale, and we can raise money [for a good cause], we felt we did something positive," Tudesco told The Huffington Post.
Manti Te'o 'Girlfriend' Cancer Fund Continues Collecting Money Despite Hoax

I had an imaginary girlfriend too, but that was at age seven. This guy needs to grow up.

Jay said:
I had an imaginary girlfriend too, but that was at age seven. This guy needs to grow up.

I thought this was every other week.

jk.

But seriously, seems like a childish lie taken too far.

He speaks! ESPN gives Manti an off-camera interview where he denies being a part of the hoax and answers questions about events leading up to the hoax. There should be something on ESPN.com about it right now if anyone wants to check.

181117_10150265917564944_19406237_n.jpg

Sean Glennon ‏@SeanGlennon7
#Manti wasn't missing tackles against Alabama. He was hugging his girlfriend.

*Edit* I just thought of something. When a girl takes a fake identity and fools a guy into dating him, the guy gets called a fraud. If a guy tricks a girl into being her "boyfriend", it's labeled pedophilia/predation. Maybe we should cut this guy some slack.

Jay said:
Maybe we should cut this guy some slack.

Why cut him slack when he might be in on it?

Two days after learning of hoax, Te’o said girlfriend died of cancer
Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2013, 5:33 PM EST

Getty ImagesAnd now perhaps we know why linebacker Manti Te’o has chosen to remain silent for now.

Before he speaks, his handlers need to delve into every nook and cranny of every thing that he or someone in his family said about the situation, so that he’ll be ready for the questions he inevitably faces — from whoever asks them.

Here’s a nook and/or cranny that will open up yet another delicate line of questions. According to WSBT-TV, Te’o made reference to his dead girlfriend two days after the day he supposedly learned of the hoax.

“I don’t like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer,” Te’o said on December 8, while talking to reporters in advance of the Heisman Trophy ceremony.

On Wednesday, Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick said Te’o learned of the hoax on December 6, while he was attending the ESPN college football awards ceremony in Orlando.

Before Te’o speaks, his people need to find every comment that he or anyone in his family has made that will be fodder for interview questions, so that he can be prepared to answer the questions.

This doesn’t mean he’s not telling the truth. Lawyers routinely prepare witnesses to testify by sharing with them all prior statements that they have made, so that they will be careful to tell a consistent and cohesive story. Plenty of people who tell the truth will from time to time misspeak. Good, thorough preparation protects against that.

Even with good preparation, Te’o has to be able to pull it off. The fact that there’s no indication as to when he’ll be talking suggests that Te’o's people are concerned that it could be too much for him to juggle verbally and mentally, in an inherently stressful situation.

He is unable to keep his facts straight.

Shining Raikou said:
Jay said:

I thought this was every other week.

jk.

But seriously, seems like a childish lie taken too far.

No, Zack. Blake is the one with imaginary girlfriends every other week.

/me runs

While I do agree that Te'o could have been in on it, it's also possible he was scammed. He never actually met the girl IRL if this isn't a hoax. It's possible that he was scammed into it, and then carried on saying the same thing afterwards. If you had been telling sports people that your girlfriend died of cancer for a couple weeks, then you suddenly find out it's a hoax, you could argue that it would have been easier for Te'o to just continue saying the same thing. It's very possible that Te'o had a hoax created out of a hoax. If that makes any sense.

I would say that at first he had no clue what was going on but then as time went on, he eventually found out and just played along with it.

deadspin.com said:
Nov. 28, 2009: Te’o and Kekua meet after Stanford’s 45-38 victory over Notre Dame in Palo Alto, according to the South Bend Tribune: “Their stares got pleasantly tangled, then Manti Te’o extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes.” Kekua, a Stanford student, swaps phone numbers with Te’o.

2010-2011: Te’o and Kekua are friends. “She was gifted in music, multi-lingual, had dreams grounded in reality and the talent to catch up to them” (South Bend Tribune). “They started out as just friends,” Te’o's father, Brian, told the Tribune in October 2012. “Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there.”

Early 2012: Te’o and Kekua become a couple. They talk on the phone nightly, according to ESPN.

Some time in 2012: Kekua has a car accident somewhere in California that leaves her “on the brink of death” (Sports Illustrated). But when? Eight months before she died of cancer, in September, reports ESPN. “About the time Kekua and Manti became a couple,” reports the South Bend Tribune. April 28, reports SI.

June 2012: As Kekua recovers from her injuries, doctors discover she has leukemia. She has a bone-marrow transplant. (“That was just in June,” Brian Te’o told the South Bend Tribune in October of 2012. “I remember Manti telling me later she was going to have a bone marrow transplant and, sure enough, that’s exactly what happened. From all I knew, she was doing really, really well.”)

Summer 2012: Her condition improves. Kekua “eventually” graduates from Stanford, according to the South Bend Tribune. (A New York Times story, published Oct. 13, identifies her as a “Stanford alumnus.”) She soon takes a turn for the worse. At some point, she enters treatment, apparently at St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton, Calif. (In a letter obtained by Fox Sports published Oct. 25, Te’o writes to the parents of a girl dying of cancer: “My girlfriend, when she was at St. Jude’s in LA, she had a little friend.”)

Te’o talks to Lennay nightly, “going to sleep while on the phone with her,” according to Sports Illustrated. “When he woke up in the morning his phone would show an eight-hour call, and he would hear Lennay breathing on the other end of the line.”

Sept. 10, 2012: Kekua is released from the hospital; Manti’s father, Brian, congratulates her “via telephone” (South Bend Tribune).

Sept. 11-12, 2012: Te’o's grandmother dies in Hawaii. Later, Kekua dies in California. Or is it the other way around? “Te’o's girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, died Sept. 11 of complications from leukemia. His grandma, Annette Santiago, died after a long illness less than 24 hours later,” according to the Sept. 22 South Bend Tribune. No, Annette dies first, according to the Oct. 12 South Bend Tribune. In fact, Lennay lives long enough to express condolences over the death of Annette:

Less than 48 hours later [after Lennay's release from the hospital], at 4 a.m. Hawaii time, Kekua sent a text to Brian and Ottilia, expressing her condolences over the passing of Ottilia’s mom, Annette Santiago, just hours before.

Brian awakened three hours later, saw the text, and sent one back. There was no response. A couple of hours later, Manti called his parents, his heart in pieces.

Lennay Kekua had died.

Or does Kekua die three days later (New York Post)? Four days (ESPN, CBS)?

In any case, according to Te’o's interview with Gene Wojciechowski in a segment aired during the Oct. 6 episode of College GameDay, Lennay’s last words to Te’o were “I love you.”

Sept. 12, 2012 (morning): Te’o is informed of his grandmother’s passing (Sports Illustrated).

Sept. 12, 2012 (afternoon): Te’o is informed of Kekua’s passing by her older brother, Koa (Sports Illustrated).

Sept. 15, 2012: Te’o records 12 tackles in leading the Irish to an upset win over Michigan State.

Sept. 22, 2012: Kekua’s funeral takes place in Carson, Calif. (The Associated Press puts it in “Carson City, Calif.,” which does not exist.) Te’o skips the funeral, saying Kekua had insisted that he not miss a game (Los Angeles Times). Her casket is closed at 9 a.m. Pacific time, according to Te’o. That night, Notre Dame beats Michigan, 13-6, to go to 4-0, the school’s best start in a decade. Te’o intercepts two passes. After the game, he says of Lennay: “All she wanted was some white roses. So I sent her roses and sent her two picks along with that.” Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly awards the game ball to Lennay Kekua, handing it to Te’o to “take back to Hawaii.”

Sept. 12, 2012 (afternoon): Te’o is informed of Kekua’s passing by her older brother, Koa (Sports Illustrated).

Is Koa imaginary?

He actually confessed to the lie earlier today. I still don't see why people should really care if he was hoaxed or he was hoaxing.

^ I care because I want to know if he is naive or he is hiding something. I heard the girl whose picture was used on the Facebook was identified and she was not involved in the hoax. I don't understand how you can meet someone. Call them your girlfriend for 3 years. And not ask WHY her Facebook photo is different then who you met and bring home to the family.

This has the makings of a "made for TV movie". - Motive?

r3skyline said:
omahanime said:
It is not over yet. There are too many things that do not jive.

Such as ?

How about this for starts.

USA TODAY said:
"Several meetings were set up where Lennay never showed," Swarbrick said Wednesday.

Brian Te'o, Manti's father, was quoted in the same Tribune story detailing his son's meeting with Kekua in Hawaii, contradicting Swarbrick :

"They started out as just friends," Brian Te'o said. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple."

"And we came to the realization that she could be our daughter-in-law. Sadly, it won't happen now."

Back