• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Malamar Thing

s_gmusic

Formerly known as Sacred_Guyver
It's been a while since I've looked seriously at Pokemon TCG. Last time I did, it was recommended to grab a pair of the Laser Focus theme decks and bash them together, then adjust as necessary. Here's what I managed in PTCGO, but I'm not sure what else to change about it to improve it. I don't have much and I'm considering building it in paper as well to play at my LGS for standard and League Cup events.

##Pokémon - 18
* 4 Audino UNM 177
* 1 Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX UPR 161
* 4 Inkay FLI 50
* 1 Lunala {*} UPR 62
* 4 Necrozma UNM 101
* 4 Malamar FLI 51

##Trainer Cards - 27
* 4 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 2 Hau CES 132
* 2 Tate & Liza CES 148
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Brock's Grit TEU 135
* 3 Pokémon Communication BLW 99
* 4 Lillie UPR 125
* 4 U-Turn Board UNM 211
* 3 Switch BLW 104

##Energy - 15
* 2 Recycle Energy UNM 212
* 10 Psychic Energy BLW 109
* 3 Weakness Guard Energy UNM 213

-My first/main thought is to drop the 3 Weakness Guard Energy for 2 more Recycle Energy and an 11th Psychic Energy. Some meta decks I've seen lists for run less than 10 energy, so I'm not sure about 15 of them.

-Trainers are completely up in the air to me. The more I look, the more I confuse myself.

-As far as Pokemon go, Dawn Wings Necrozma, Lunala {*}, and Necrozma don't seem "large" enough to deal with GXs and other big 'mons. Audino's a bit of a staller, but could easy get OHKO'd regardless.

Any help is appreciated.

Malamar can be run many different ways. My current favorite is Malamar Mewtwo, however that is kinda pricey. Another way is to play it as a baby psychic deck.
Pokémon-
4 Inkay FLI
4 Malamar FLI
2 Giratina LOT
1 Mew UNB
1 Mimikyu CES
1 Mimikyu GRI (I know guardians rising is rotated but it was reprinted as a promo that is in current rotation so you can play it)
1 Blacephalon CES
1 Espurr UNB
then you can play any of Espeon Deoxys GX, Lunala Solgaleo GX, Ultra Necrozma GX, Guzzlord Naganadel GX, Latios GX, or Giratina Garchomp GX depending on what you are able to acquire and your personal preference. I believe the most expensive card listed above is either the Garchomp Giratina at around $4-$6 then the Mew or any of the GXs but they're all around $2.50 each.
For energies, most Malamar decks play around 8-9 psychic energies with 1-2 recycle energies. If you play the Garchomp Giratina, Naganadel Guzzlord, or the Ultra Necrozma you may put in one dark, fighting, or metal energy depending on which one you're playing or just use an aurora energy or two. That could actually allow you to play multiple of them and decide game to game which is better at the moment.
For trainers -
2-3 Viridian
4 Professor Research ( they can be pricey but the new sword and shield starter decks come with 3 and these trainers can be played in anything so it's good to get them.)
4 Cynthia
4 Mysterious Treasure
4 Pokémon Communication
4 Spell Tag
4 Acro Bike
3 Switch
1 Lana's Fishing Rod/Ordinary Rod (Fishing rod gets you a tool and pokemon back where ordinary rod gets you either 2 energy/2 pokemon or both. you can choose 1 effect or both) If you play any of the GXs that need a non psychic energy I'd suggest the ordinary rod, if you are not then Lana's is ok to give you essentially 5 Spell tags.
If you can get them (again they're a little pricey per copy) 4 Custom Catchers. You can use these to gust anything up if you play two of them or draw up to 3 cards if you only play one. If not you can use Great Catchers to gust GXs or Pokémon Catchers.

Back