• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Malamar deck techs

Robert Fuchs

PCTGO name: Ben358358, PST zone
Is Chimecho still a good tech for Malamar decks w/Giratina and Ultra Necrozma? Good against ZoroRoc... usually lightning decks though are already set up before you Silence the Bell (they probably already put down their Tapu Koko prism and Zeraroa)

Thoughts?

Other option would be to take the Chimecho out and put a beast ring in instead (is what I have in mind).

So either stall, or give you a card to power up in case you fall behind.

AntiYouJD

Mill Enthusiast
Chimecho all the way, it even helps in matches against other Malamar variants. Beast Ring is way too inconsistent when you don't have a way to fetch it from the deck.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Chimecho is good.
If you play it, play it with diancie and marshadow gx.
Being able to 2 shot 60 hp basics and 1 shot zoruas makes the zoro and stage 2 matchups (almost) auto-wins (if they get down a lele, it's not).
Doing 10 damage is underwhelming.
IMO, you have to play diancie for chimecho to actually have value.
If you don't, you might as well just not play the chimecho.

Robert Fuchs

Looking for a good tech for Malamar against Lightning decks, going second.

Lightning decks that go first usually have a good chance to already bench Zeraroa GX and Tapu Koko Prism, plus a Jirachi, so the Chimecho attack going second doesn't do much.

What thinking maybe a 1:1 line of Alolan Grimer / Alolan Muk? This would stop their Tapu Koko Prism, plus the free retreat from Zeraora GX, plus also stop Eevee's evolving into Jolteon GX, Jirachis, and also stop Tapu Koko GX if they run that. But then the Alolan Muk would also stop your Giratinas and whatever you are using for draw power (Marshadow SLG or Jirachis or Leles). So I think it just kind of slows the whole game down but not sure if it gives you an advantage.

I usually don't tech in Marshadow GX... I usually just rely on Ultra Necrozma's to hit for the big damage (3 psychics for 260).

I have tech'ed in Gengar & Mimikyu GX to stall turn one going second, which works nice but usually this card ends up getting knocked out later in the game for 3 prizes (with multiple electropowers).

Guess I'm still looking for the perfect tech for this matchup...

Generally I find whoever goes first in this matchup usually wins.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Looking for a good tech for Malamar against Lightning decks, going second.

Lightning decks that go first usually have a good chance to already bench Zeraroa GX and Tapu Koko Prism, plus a Jirachi, so the Chimecho attack going second doesn't do much.

What thinking maybe a 1:1 line of Alolan Grimer / Alolan Muk? This would stop their Tapu Koko Prism, plus the free retreat from Zeraora GX, plus also stop Eevee's evolving into Jolteon GX, Jirachis, and also stop Tapu Koko GX if they run that. But then the Alolan Muk would also stop your Giratinas and whatever you are using for draw power (Marshadow SLG or Jirachis or Leles). So I think it just kind of slows the whole game down but not sure if it gives you an advantage.

I usually don't tech in Marshadow GX... I usually just rely on Ultra Necrozma's to hit for the big damage (3 psychics for 260).

I have tech'ed in Gengar & Mimikyu GX to stall turn one going second, which works nice but usually this card ends up getting knocked out later in the game for 3 prizes (with multiple electropowers).

Guess I'm still looking for the perfect tech for this matchup...

Generally I find whoever goes first in this matchup usually wins.
I rely on Marshadow GX heavily in that matchup. Marshadow GX KOs for 3 energy and you don't have to discard. I usually KO a pikarom, a gx (that is weak to fighting), and a non gx (usually Zapdos) to take my 6 prizes. Remember you can Sky Scorching Light with a tina to snipe for 2 prizes late game. Just have tina in the discard and ready to go.
It's all about your Gx attack. Dawn Wings is useful if your behind, but you DEFINITELY don't want to waste it on mimigar.
With that matchup, practice, and you should be able to win even from behind.

Robert Fuchs

Doesn't your Marshadow GX usually get knocked out in return with only 150 HP on the next turn?

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Doesn't your Marshadow GX usually get knocked out in return with only 150 HP on the next turn?
In the future, please reply so I get an alert.

Yes, it gets KOed, but they can only KO it with a pikarom, koko, or zeroara.
If you attack first, and get ahead on prizes, you can rescue stretcher or go find your other marshadow and go for another KO. Then, you have 1 prize left (pikarom and zeroara KOs) and you guzma to KO a random thing on the bench for game. If they use koko, use the necrozma that fits the circumstances. If your behind, moon's eclipse, if your ahead, photon geyser.

Marshadow wins in the prize race.

Robert Fuchs

I don't want to post it in detail because I am using it in the tournament. :)

Pokemon are Ultra Necrozma, Giratina, Chimecho, Jirachi, Marshadow SLG

(opponents can tell right away on PCTGO that I have no Marshadow GX because the fighting symbol doesn't show up at the beginning of the match LOL)

Chimecho by itself actually has been extremely useful so far, that card won me two rounds.

Seems like with Marshadow GX you need one less Malamar to knock out a PikaRom or some other GX weak to fighting... that seems like the main difference.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
I don't want to post it in detail because I am using it in the tournament. :)

Pokemon are Ultra Necrozma, Giratina, Chimecho, Jirachi, Marshadow SLG

(opponents can tell right away on PCTGO that I have no Marshadow GX because the fighting symbol doesn't show up at the beginning of the match LOL)

Chimecho by itself actually has been extremely useful so far, that card won me two rounds.

Seems like with Marshadow GX you need one less Malamar to knock out a PikaRom or some other GX weak to fighting... that seems like the main difference.
And you don't specifically need metal energy. Good luck winning with no marshadow GX, though. You definitely need at least 1.

Pokenerd

Aspiring Trainer
I play Zororoc right now and I find Malamar free if they don't play both chimecho and marshadow GX. As for Pikarom... Marshadow is the way to go. As for muk? Sounds great but there aren't many cards in Malamar you can cut. ( If you found space I would use ditto instead of grimer)

Robert Fuchs

I play Zororoc right now and I find Malamar free if they don't play both chimecho and marshadow GX. As for Pikarom... Marshadow is the way to go. As for muk? Sounds great but there aren't many cards in Malamar you can cut. ( If you found space I would use ditto instead of grimer)

But even with Chimecho in the active you cannot evolve anything, no Zoroark Lycanroc or Muk. So both just chip away for 10 or 20 but then the Malamar player can decide when to take the first big strike.

Robert Fuchs

But even with Chimecho in the active you cannot evolve anything, no Zoroark Lycanroc or Muk. So both just chip away for 10 or 20 but then the Malamar player can decide when to take the first big strike.

Also when ZoroRoc gets the Muk down eventually that shuts off Marshadow GX, and Marshadow GX can be OHKO'ed with a regular attack from ZoroRoc whereas U.N. cannot.

Pokenerd

Aspiring Trainer
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant Malamar is easy to beat when they do not play chimecho. Chimecho wrecks Zororoc.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
I find it comes down to whoever goes first (like 80-90% of the time)
Fine, it comes down to skill 80-90% of the time WITH marshadow. Honestly, you haven't been playing malamar long enough if you enter a tournament without Marshadow. I tried to help you out but you seem to utterly refuse my advice. I have WAY more experience with malamar then you. I know (basically) all my matchups (except obscure stuff like zoro garbodor). I can win (basically) all my matchups (except plume).
If you don't take my advice, fine. Don't ask for it, then.

Alex Leblanc

Aspiring Trainer
What are the Best techs for Malamar techs and builds Post Rotation?
There are 2 options that jump out at me which include Espon Deoxy's or Ultra Mally.
Techs include Giratina, the new Blacephalon, and Baby Necrozma, Jirachi GX, and Mew & Mewtwo GX.
Thoughts? Which build is stronger?

Robert Fuchs

I really like a 1:1 line of Drifblim. It helps against any spread deck (Weezing, mirror match against Ultra Necrozma where you can clean up the bench damage), and it also works well with Giratina because you can spread Giratina's 40 damage across your bench and then throw a large amount of damage back to your opponent for only 2 psychic energy. Also Drifblim does not activate spell tag so you can work around spell tag with it, and it helps against other rogue decks like Whimsicott GX (knocks it out without a coin flip) and Vileplume and in other rogue deck situations.

I also like Nihilego as a tech. As long as Reshizard and Pikarom remain mainstays, Nihilego can copy Pikarom GX attack for 200+ (add choice band or beast energy) or copy Reshizard attack for 230+. Also you can be creative and copy other Pokemon attacks with Nihilego (I have copied Weezing's attack, Ultra Necrozma's attack, Cofagrigus, Volcanion Prism, etc.) so you can be creative with Nihilego's attack and there's no limit on what you can copy for one psychic energy which also makes it fun to play.
Your opponent can be winning big and even if he's wiped out most of your Malamars, all you need is one psychic energy for Nihilego.

I will also put in one of the new Marshadows as a tech post rotation when it comes out.

Robert Fuchs

Zoroark and Alolan Muk are both gone post rotation, and that is a tough matchup for Malamar, so that should help too.

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
I've been thinking about teching in a Marshadow Machamp in a Garchomp Giratina variation. Since you are playing Fighting Energy, it can come in and Revenge a Pikarom. Or if your Garchomp Giratina is damaged , you can use tag switch to a Marshadow Machamp and attach an extra fighting energy to use Marshadow Machamp's GX attack and take more prizes. That's the idea anyways, worth taking a look at