Making Friends Outside of School

(sgtfrog)

good boi
For a while I've been trying to make friends outside of school. I''l be going to a pre-release alone again this month and I don't want to be alone (I usually go with my cousin). I'm extremely socially awkward. How can I approach people properly and maybe start a group?

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
If you start talking about how your last game went with people that's a quick way to make friends. Prereleases are relaxed more than other events. If you look at going to a league regularly you can meet many people that way also.

(sgtfrog)

good boi
Okay. I don't usually go to leagues, but I do go to tournaments. I do have one coming up maybe I'll hit that one.

Otaku

The wise fool?
For a while I've been trying to make friends outside of school. I''l be going to a pre-release alone again this month and I don't want to be alone (I usually go with my cousin). I'm extremely socially awkward. How can I approach people properly and maybe start a group?

So are we requiring people who are really into Pokémon?

The easiest way is likely going to be the hardest for you: just be friendly and open with people. I say that as a confusing mess that appears to be an extrovert because I just can't stop talking but am probably closer to an introvert. I just talk a lot and when nervous ramble even more unless I make myself be silent (no happy middle ground).

Spending time around others is also important; there is a reason why most people develop friends with schoolmates, coworkers, people from their church, etc. Even when you've got more general friends, it is likely a person will develop "school friends", "homeroom friends", "work friends", and so on and so forth. If you just want them to go to Pokémon events... maybe you don't need friends so much as to get over going by yourself. I mean, it just seems to be kind of needy or demanding. It is a lot more fun doing these things with friends, but making more friends in general should help with finding a few that will share hobbies with you. Plus even some of my borderline friends were willing to do stuff that they weren't especially into just because they knew their friends loved it.

HortonHearsaWhat?

Aspiring Trainer
I go to flea markets and the dealers that are actually into video games are good candidates, so of course scalpers and re-sellers/Grandmas with grandchildren's old games aren't the best for this.

My best friends are from the flea market!

-virtual hug and a muffin for (sgtfrog)-

Best of luck!

Shining Raikou

Your friendly neighborhood Raikou fan!
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Follow your interests (don't force it) and give your attention to people who seem friendly/open to talking. You'll often be surprised if you simply say "Hi, how are you doing?", just bring up a topic, or light small talk how much it helps in starting a conversation. People love to share their opinion or talk about themselves! The other day I was making a remark about coffee and someone just started chatting with me about how they can't go without a certain kind from the shop I was at. We talked for a good 20 minutes. Another good way to make friends is your workplace. Basic gist: Don't be disingenuous, and show genuine interest in other people and they will do the same for you. :)

PS: Great book by Dale Carnegie "How to Win Friends & Influence People". A must read for anyone who wishes to better their communication skills.

Last edited: