General Main Characters Discussion

danh19

Aspiring Trainer
This thread is about discussing characters in the anime! Here are some things you could talk about:

Is it time for a female rival to Ash?

I think it's about time ash had a main rival who happens be a girl basically the complete opposite to Bianca
I would she her being a tough skilled trainer with out being a bitch a sort of Zoe but less sort stereotypical tough girl still having some girly qualities

Favourite main character of the show?
I think it's between ash and misty

ash he slowly got stronger and more mature through out the series

misty she started off quick tempered but by the end of johto she had grown into a more even tempered young woman

Which companion had the best exit?
I feel that most of the companions exits were handled well but me it would have be misty's it was the first companion exit and it felt like it had the biggest Impact on ash as well as viewers seeing it for the first time

Who's your favourite rival?
I would have to say mine is Paul for me he is the most well handled and interesting rival the show's had giving us a insight into why he is why he is along with his relationship with his Pokémon ash and his brother the
way Paul grew to some what respect ash

Which characters have had too little development?
I feel that Cilan was an ok character but he had little growth suddenly deciding out of nowhere to go to fishing competition even when he said shortly before he wanted to stay with ash because their was more for him to learn from him

Which characters have had the most development?
for the most part I feel that most of his companions got some level of development for misty learning to keep her anger in check more to brock's realization that he want's to be a doctor to may's learning to be more independent to Serena finding a goal that means something to her personally but i feel

dawn got the most development overall partly because she was more a co star
who had some great character arcs like her depression and learning to become her own person rather than worrying about trying to live up to her mum's name as well as learning to work with Pokémon with different personality's like her pachirisu and togekiss

Last edited by a moderator:
If Ash ever gets a female rival I feel the anime will slowly fall out of "PG". My favorite main character of the Pokémon series is James, every episode that based around him I liked. They were all great. However, the ones centered around Jessie all sucked. I don't remember much companion exits so I'll have to say I don't even know, I don't watch the endings of series as much as I do the team fights. When the regional team comes into the anime, I watch more often. When it exits, eh. Gary was the best rival, always making Ash feel like a loser.. Ah.. the good times. I feel every character hasn't really developed much, they've all stayed restorable y the same from the beginning.

I will start by saying I haven't watched the anime (barring the first 30 episodes of XY) in like 10 years or something, so I can't really remember much about the specifics of the show, however I think James and Brock were the two best characters.

Brock, while extremely creepy at times, had some of the "so stupid its funny moments" (Frying pan to drying pan anyone?) and provided a decent amount of exposition and explanation which while I usually hate, I can understand the need for that in a show targeted at the 4+ demographic.
James was just funny, they weren't afraid to do weird things with his character which certainly led to some, interesting things (Crossdressing for example). The fact that he asks Pokemon to join him, forgives them for harming him, and he genuinely cares for his Pokemon just all make him great.

I might answer some more later when I get home from work

I think it's safe to say that Ash won't be going anywhere anytime soon. The major problem with the anime is the fact that despite a premise of seeing Ash becoming a Pokémon Master, he is running around in circles instead, and everyone else (except for Pikachu and Team Rocket) get written out of the anime, making their whole existence pointless filler.

TC, I suggest you read this:
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thr...the-pokémon-anime-an-essay-and-a-rant.138259/

Back