Magnezone Techs?

#1weavile

I'm still alive =)
In my magneboar deck, I've been finding it extremely easy in setting up magnezone with cleffa refreshing my hand. My question is: Can magnezone be a tech in decks that would already otherwise be running stage 2's or rare candy?

Vortex

Bass Musician Since '11
Well, there is always Magnegatr. I use that and it's served me well. You could also pair it with Floatzel UL. Both useful combos that you can set up quite quickly.

#1weavile

I'm still alive =)
How much magnezone do you run in there? 2-1-2? I've been toying around with magnezone techs in some decks, and it works surprisingly well.

Magnevire

Aspiring Trainer
P0KEVORTEX said:
Well, there is always Magnegatr. I use that and it's served me well. You could also pair it with Floatzel UL. Both useful combos that you can set up quite quickly.

That doesn't count imo, since both of those decks are basically variants of Magneboar and Magnegatr was pretty much the inferior precursor to it.

I myself could kind of see a Zone tech in Tyranitar since Tyranitar stands on its own for the most part, but I'm not sure if it's worth taking up slots that could be used for a more typical consistency. The other problem is that if Zone is dragged out and you don't run switch, you're probably giving away a free prize card because you won't have the excess energy to burn away.

I mean, it can work, I've done it, but with Catcher coming out soon, I would advise not to rely on it unless you have some way of getting Zone out of the active spot.

By the way, Magnegatr's Zone line would pretty much be the same as Magneboar's. The only real differences between the two is that Feraligatr (kinda) covers weakness against Donphan, but you sacrifice RDL to do it, Shuckle becomes borderline unusable, and you can't drop water energy onto Zone itself, making Lost Burn an automatic two drop. I suppose you could run a Kyurem tech in Magnegatr though, and I could see that being helpful against some decks since the spread would mean that you would need less energy to score knock outs with Lost Burn. That counts for something.

#1weavile

I'm still alive =)
That's true, I would always run at least 1 switch and 3-4 junk arms in my deck anyway. Would a 2-1-2 magnezone work or do you think it needs to be 2-2-2?

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
Stage two techs are nearly impossible nowadays. If you're in it for the consistency, I'd take the 2-6 free slots instead. But for a Zekrom tech, it could be OK.

Thedrone1man

If you're older, you should remember me.
Tyraniking said:
Stage two decks are nearly impossible nowadays. If you're in it for the consistency, I'd take the 2-6 free slots instead. But for a Zekrom tech, it could be OK.

This isn't exactly...an accurate statement. The "nerfing" of Rare Candy makes them "as fast" as Stage 1s. Running Magnezone as a tech in Zekrom doesn't seem very smart, either.

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
Typo, I meant techs.

Well, I mean, running Magnezone as a tech in anything isn't very smart, that's what my response is to this thread, but if I had to play it as a tech at all, it'd be in Zekrom.

nnaann

Aspiring Trainer
I like Magnezone as a tech, even if it doesn't seem that popular in general. I've noticed from Magneboar that once you get a quick Magnezone out, it's easy to dump the hand, refresh it, and set up several more Pokemon in the same turn. Right now, most decks need some form of Pokemon draw and since Ninetales is limited to Fire decks, this might be all we have.

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member
Tyraniking said:
Stage two techs are nearly impossible nowadays. If you're in it for the consistency, I'd take the 2-6 free slots instead. But for a Zekrom tech, it could be OK.

No way. Zekrom is supposed to be a speed deck. Adding Magnezone would just make it slower and less consistant. Even though the draw power could help, you waste resources trying to get out the Magnezone. Resources that you could use to get out a Yanmega, or another Zekrom.

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
^OK, guys, I don't think it's a good tech in Zekrom, as stated before, but I was saying that's probably the only place you could tech it and not make it be COMPLETELY wasted space. I mean, you run high counts of electric anyway.

ogeray

Aspiring Trainer
noctowl anyone?
i know its just one extra card, but that can really help out each turn

Ghost Bear

Eat work. Crap money.
ogeray said:
noctowl anyone?
i know its just one extra card, but that can really help out each turn

noctowl as a tech for magnezone? wouldn't that be a little redundant? magnezone already has a great draw power...filling up your deck with more draw power will either get you close to decking out every game or just be clutter.

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
Read the first post. It says Magnezone AS a tech, not techs for Magnezone. He means Noctowl>Magnezone for a tech, and I have to agree.

LucarioXFroslass

Bug Catcher
If you have space, it can certainly fit. 4 Communication and lots of candy will get it out easy enough. In a stage 2 deck, you can easily play a 1-0-1 Stage 2 tech. Why would you let your extra Rare Candy go to waste?

~L_X_F

Shaymin Lv.X

Vissen zijn nat.
LucarioXFroslass said:
If you have space, it can certainly fit. 4 Communication and lots of candy will get it out easy enough. In a stage 2 deck, you can easily play a 1-0-1 Stage 2 tech. Why would you let your extra Rare Candy go to waste?

~L_X_F
Stage 2 or Basic prized.
Now you miss Azelf.

ATS

The hurler will soon become the hurlee..
Magnezone will soon be useless as a bench-sitting tech due to the release of catcher... You simply can't afford having to constantly having an "additional" pokemon to your main strategy dragged out. Test, and thou shallst understand:)

bwaaaa

TVtropes<3 Pokebeach<3
^but which other bench sitting techs have 140 hp and an attack that can ohko literally anything? Even if they can ohko the zone, they may as well have koed the main attacker. I would personally always like my opponent to ko the non-crucial techs in my deck before knocking out the focus of my deck. People discounting magnezone as a tech cause it is easily prized should remember that it is just a tech! so what if you cant get it out your deck should not be reliant on a tech that you are giving 2-5 spaces in your deck, and if your deck does rely on it that much you should consider running it as more than just a tech.

Bwaaaa

Magnevire

Aspiring Trainer
People will always drag out a draw power pokemon and kill it if they can. That's been big since Claydol; it's just too much of a threat to ignore. Now some may argue that Magnezone can defend itself, and that is certainly true. The problem is that a deck that isn't built around Lost Burn can find itself in a lot of trouble if it actually uses the attack.

More importantly is Catcher, not on Magnezone per se, but on Magnemite. Magnezone is pretty beefy and an opponent needs to use a fair amount of resources to kill it, instead of a main attacker like you said, but Magnemite is fairly easy to knock out, and rare candy rules mean that Magnemite will be vulnerable for one turn. Magnzone getting dragged out isn't as big a deal if you have switch handy, but Magnemite will get KOed very easily and you need to watch out for that.