steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Magikarp and Gyarados have just been revealed from SV1a Triplet Beat! The set will release in Japan on March 10th. Its cards should become part of our unnamed June set. Thanks goes to JustInBasil and ToineLay for translations!
Magikarp – Water – HP30
Basic Pokemon
[W] Skilled Jump: 10+ damage. Flip 2 coins. If both are heads, this attack does 20 more damage.
Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Gyarados – Water – HP180
Stage 1 – Evolves from Magikarp
[W][C][C] Revenge...

Continue reading...

Da idiot

arceus' 1000'th arm
this is the power level our NORMAL STAGE 1 Pokémon should have.
stage 1 mons should not be OHKOable by gale thrust or max miracle of Mew Vmax. even with 1 power tablet. but miraidon ex and lugia vstar should get a OHKO. this should not be stats exclusive to gyarados, snorlax, charizard and wailord. random stage 1 mons should have these stats. like Foretress and Vaporeon.
Gyarados traditionally having stats of stage 2s or even better should have like 220/230 HP
get your HP curve into a balance, TPCI!

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
I’ve just been excited Pokémon has been prioritizing stage 2 ex’s. I’m not sure how I forgot how much fans desired single prize stage 1’s to improve. By the way, single prize decks have far more going against them than HP. If you’re planning on attacking with the primary attacker 6 times instead of attacking for times and sacrificing the odd Bidoof, you need to recycle your key cards. You also need to maintain a steady stream of Energy, otherwise you’ll need to sacrifice the odd Bidoof anyways. Attackers like Moltres could theoretically alleviate this stress. I’m just glad we’re taking baby steps towards a slower, healthier format. First Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia GX rotated out, then Mew VMAX challenged Rapid Strike Urshifu VMAX and encouraged Single Prize Rogue Decks, then VSTARs further slowed down the format, and now stage 2 single prizers are beginning to push VSTAR’s out of the limelight. Is four years too long to spend taking baby steps? Yes. But if the format at least slows down to 2017 levels, the format as a whole will be in a better place than it has been in since Buzzwole GX was printed. Perhaps Pokémon will get more adventurous when the E block rotates out, taking away cards like Shadow Rider Calyrex VMAX, Mew VMAX, Genesect V, Tyranitar V, and Single Strike Energy.

Last edited:

LightYearLiam

this is the power level our NORMAL STAGE 1 Pokémon should have.
stage 1 mons should not be OHKOable by gale thrust or max miracle of Mew Vmax. even with 1 power tablet. but miraidon ex and lugia vstar should get a OHKO. this should not be stats exclusive to gyarados, snorlax, charizard and wailord. random stage 1 mons should have these stats. like Foretress and Vaporeon.
Gyarados traditionally having stats of stage 2s or even better should have like 220/230 HP
get your HP curve into a balance, TPCI!
You're completely right. But I have to admit, with a card like this, I tend to think, "Well, it could be worse", because a lot of one-prize Stage 1s are so absolutely pathetic, that I feel grateful whenever one that is even kinda-sorta good and interesting comes along.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
This feels like a GLC card - might be very good in GLC but is underpowered in standard given it takes two attachments for 160 or 3 for 180.

🌻𝐓𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐢🌻

🌻𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐥𝐲 𝐆𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐫🌻
The Gyarados art here has a very similar style to the previously revealed Lokix art! Starting to see a pattern here hahaha! The magikarp art is wonderful! I have always loved card arts with less outlining so this is a treat for me! Competetive wise the Gyarados hits very hard! However unless we get any water energy acceleration trainers or ability mons I don't see it being used too often in standard metagame as it's attacks are a bit spendy to set up! Seeing a stage one mon with 180 hp is very exciting! Hopefully this is a sign of bulkier single prizers for the future! (=

fleshrum

Cephalophore
This feels like a GLC card - might be very good in GLC but is underpowered in standard given it takes two attachments for 160 or 3 for 180.
its okay, for sure. don't think there are any gyarados you'd want to play, and I'm not sure this pushes you towards it, since magikarp is so often trash.

Clear

Birb is the Word
why do people think that having an attack that costs 3 energy is "okay"
this attack can cost WC for 180 and it will still be terrible.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Magikarp/Gyarados - some GLC stuff I never care about. Also, where is my Rhyperior ex or even Tyranitar ex? These Stage 2s normally have 4 energy in their attacks, I want to see these Stage 2s as "Unplayable" Stage 2s exs from the cost alone. 3/3