Pokémon Magearna - Kalos' Last Stand

Professor Palutena

The Queen
801.png

Type: Steel/Fairy
Ability: Soul-Heart (raises Special Attack when a Pokemon faints)
Stats: 80 HP / 95 Atk / 115 Def / 130 SpA / 115 SpD / 65 Spe

Notable Moves: Shift Gear, Flash Cannon, Fleur Cannon, Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball, Hidden Power Fire, Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Trick Room, Calm Mind, Dazzling Gleam, Energy Ball, Ice Beam

Going off of its stats and typing, Magearna has a lot of things going for it. Boasting the best defensive typing in the game, with 2 immunities, 9 resistances and only two weaknesses. The stat spread leaves it as one of the bulkiest Pokemon around, which complements its typing. Offensively, it's so slouch as 130 SpA will hit hard. This is especially true with its ability, which allows it to snowball into something truly terrifying after enough boosts.

I'm of the opinion that this is one of the best Pokemon in the meta right now. I use a bulky set with Assault Vest and it takes hits for days. It's a solid glue for any team needing a pivot, as that role plays to Magearna's advantages. Unlike most pivots, your opponent has to respect the damage as no one wants to take Fleur Cannons. The spread I run is 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD, which gives Genesect an attack boost rather than a SpA boost.

What are your thoughts on this mythical Pokemon? Does it live up to the hype? How are you using Magearna? How are you beating it?

I think this mon is great with a Shift Gear set+ Tapu Lele, but now that you mention AV, that's really interesting to try.

I always love using Magnezone. Comparing them may be odd, but they're both bulky, slow pokémon with very few weaknesses and great special attack. Magnezone doesn't have Fluer Cannon but Analytic can make it hit hard with any special attack. Magnezone's Ground weakness (4x) makes air balloon pretty much a neccesity and that's holding him back. Magearna + Assault Vest sounds awesome! Too bad I already have other plans for my competitive team so kill it with fire! argh

I think this mon is great with a Shift Gear set+ Tapu Lele, but now that you mention AV, that's really interesting to try.
I like the Shift Gear set as well with Steelium Z, as the set basically snowballs until it wins the game. Though I'm still sold on the AV set given that it's a legitimate counter to Tapu Lele and Greninja.

Trick Room seems like a very good choice as well, combined with the fact that you can have Porygon2/Slowbro/Magearna is TRers and SM gifting us with a lot of slow Pokemon gives ample choice.

Back