Finished Mafia LIV: My Bastard Village-Game Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Whelp, there you go! Roz wasn't even close to my scumdar, and I only really began to consider lynching firekitten at #1600, so there was no hope for me. :D gg everyone

Speaking of which... @firekitten, you knew that Math was mafian and you knew that you were working with him. Why then did you attempt to get me lynched / killed after giving an apparently scummy response to your Agent X message? Surely if I was that obviously mafian, you would have wanted to work with me -- not against?

Thanks for hosting @NinjaPenguin! It was fun and fresh, although probably not my type of setup haha.

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
Oh now that the game is over, you can feel free to like whatever post you want if you still remember any of them!
Also, thanks a ton for trying out Mafia for me, Vi! Did you end up enjoying it?
Yeah, I really did. I didn't realize Mafia games were short and intense though.
Oh, I didn't mention this to anyone but FK in-game, but it was cool to see new faces on this forum who just come here for Mafia. It felt like meeting cool transfer students or something.
Thanks for hosting NP! I said right when I saw the OP that I really liked the idea for the flavour in this one and you did some fun stuff with it.

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Postgame Part 1: General Thoughts
This part of the postgame will go a lot more theoretical and general, while the more individual and concrete opinions will be given in the second part. (Mandatory Disclaimer: these opinions may end up being asserted in a way where they come off as trying to be facts. My way of thinking of things is by no means the only correct way to play mafia, and me asserting things that way is not intentional. Please don't take anything here as personal because it's 100% about this game and never you as a person.).

Setup:
So, first things first, I think it's worth stating that the setup may have appeared pro-town, but as you'll soon see, when the bastard mechanics are revealed, the majority of town roles were useless (Lisa, Jaime, Madison), close to it (Thomas, Manny), or fairly easy to neutralize (Alexis). This made the overall balance basically: 2-shot (though worse than this) Neighborizer+Near Useless Mechanics Seer+Disruptive JOAT+Future Vote Thing+Even Day QT Wiretap vs randomized 1-shot Vig+Misinformation+Event/Speech Disruption without quite free reign of kill choices (which was tried out because I thought reducing the potency of Strong Player Kills would lead to a higher quality endgame, which I suppose did in fact pan out in a way). Which I honestly think is just about right (maybe a bit townsided but this site tends to be scumsided in general), considering the fact that the game was nightless, which gives town less time to think, and bastard, which leads town to trust roles much less than typically.
The philosophy for specific roles was twofold. First, the far majority of roles here were designed to be stuff that I would never include in a non-bastard game, since it's not everyday that one gets to host a bastard game. Second, the philosophy of role inclusion was first and foremost in the spirit of fun, not really competition (since who signs up for bastard mafia to be hypercompetitive?), with the general idea of town's niche, semi-useful at best powers vs scum's misinformation built in the mold of Mario Party 10's Bowser Party, where the real advantages are to be gained in events, and stuff is allowed to be at least somewhat subjective (e.g. who wins competitions, what words are allowed and what aren't for the word censor, etc.). I think this idea panned out fairly well. The town didn't focus really at all on mechanical scumhunting, with the exception of the public event tracker and QT Wiretap being leads towards the scum, while the scum countered that boost in discussion with the haiku day (and Agent X chaos).
That being said, for those who weren't aware, this game was designed in very little time. This led to a fair amount of behind the scenes problems in terms of role ambiguity and conflict, which I should have fixed in the pre-game. Some of this stuff will go into my notes for hosting, but there's some stuff that's more setup related and worth noting. I forgot to update the setup for when eevee joined the game and I could only use Discord and not QT, so Michael was originally given a role where the chat partner wouldn't know who was speaking to them, which needed to later be corrected. Additionally, very little was balanced around the idea that town would be so miserable with the word censor, and I should have accounted for that swing in designing Game Updates. I also thought other roles, such as Cheryl's, were quite frankly bad and uninspired, which is mainly due to me writing them in very little time, while others, such as Charles's, may have worked but needed some refining.

Mechanics:
While roles weren't designed to be the real game changers, a new thing rose in their place: Game Updates. These had different powers they could give, with some centered around the concept of the Community Map, an idea that would have been potentially nice if I had actually done anything special with it, but with the exception of a tiny bit in Cheryl's role, basically did nothing at all because allowing people to choose between advantages. The general competitions I felt were pretty varied, with different options for different people, though the word censor prevented a lot of people from competing in a lot of things and probably significantly lowered the fun level. Overall, I thought a good deal of the events and prizes were fun and could be included, but it was overall very hit-or-miss, and a fair amount of them certainly missed (I'll talk more in terms of specific in Part 2). I think me placing caps on the advantages that could be won from Game Updates, with the exception of stopping overly huge game winning things, probably hurt people's creativity in wishes and questions and was worse in terms of fun than it could probably be. Secondary objectives were also a decent idea, but in execution needed to change the way that players played in a much more direct way, instead of just being there and having occasional influence.
I think the shining element of changing up the game was less the events than changes to methods of voting/lynches, which, despite them being flawed at times and not always fully working, added a lot of variety and provided a good attempt at changing up mechanics and testing out a lot of ideas on site, which we could potentially try in the future. Some ideas worked and some didn't, but I think they all added something to this game, different content to analyze, and the Game Updates associated with them contributed something to make them a bit more interesting.
The Nightless mechanic of this game I think was quite good in preserving people's memory of the game, as the action never particularly stopped, though it also gave town less time to spend simply analyzing (though I doubt they would have used it, judging by the fact people wanted to end days early instead of use time for that) and I suspect caused some people to neglect the submission of their actions (or make less educated ones) or be confused regarding how they would work. Not sure if I would recommend it or not for future hosts.
The game being bastard really wasn't that in your face, with only a couple roles being truly bastard ones, some roles never being ones you'd want in your typical game, and with fairly few moderator lies. This was more to adjust for the fact that this site has never seen any bastard games, so I went pretty light. It worked fine; I'm not sure how well it would have worked if I had increased the bastardness, but I didn't really see any advantages to this versus a normal game besides a bit more of a focus on fun and strange roles.

Hosting:
Hosting, I'm afraid, is the section of the game I think I really messed up on the most. I really didn't have enough time to run a game with my typical precision, and I think it really showed. Updates couldn't be punctual, I had issues with being able to read everything and check the word censor and see everything that was a vote, and while errors were more in the setup than true host errors (with a couple of exceptions being me sometimes forgetting to send Agent X messages (which most importantly happened in EoD 3 with messages to FK and led to me needing to give FK a couple of compensation messages to Math because I forgot to transmit some pretty crucial ones) and forgetting to give Jplap mechanics seer messages, which I mostly blame on my busyness).
I also think I made a fair amount of blunders with how I handled subjective situations and mid-game player feedback due to how difficult life was being for me at times. I can't really get into more details than that, but for the first two (maybe three) in-game days at least, I really wasn't in the right mindset and temperament to be a good host instead of simply an adequate one and I didn't lay out good enough guidelines before the game on what I would do in ambiguous situations to correct for that. You guys ended up seeing pretty little of it, but I feel pretty bad myself on what did happen, because I really don't like making errors of any sort as a host.

Play:
Honestly, I still can't come to the conclusion if town play this game was really bad or scum play was just super good, but there was a combination of those factors certainly that led to a very dominant game from the Hackers.
I'm going to start off with everything the Hackers did well. First up, communication in the team was superb. Even after I edited down the scumchat when I released it to everybody (which I finally did btw), there was over double the number of posts on there (which admittedly is inflated because those numbers are on Discord) than in the thread. Scum always knew what they were doing, always had a plan, and had great morale and teamwork throughout the game, leading the environment to be one of fun and positivity that led to much success. As individual players, they all did very well too. Eevee was always in control and his posts always were advancing scum's agenda while keeping him, the largest PR, alive, FK's outside communication was executed perfectly to manipulate town (and his posting was super good too when looked at as individual posts), and Math was a super great team player who did what he needed to advance his team and far as he could, even if he was outed. This would have been a difficult team to beat even if the town was playing well.
Which unfortunately, I can not say occurred very much. The town I felt rarely was digging into motivation. They frequently just decided stuff was townie, and let bad play be seen as scummy even when it was devoid of specific motivation from the scum to actually do it. The fact that town decided that the inactive players were scum for mainly their activity (or to be specific, their lack of opportunity to make good posts) led to them being mislynch bait, and was kinda the laziest way to make reads (with the possible exception of thinking Nick being saved from a lynch meant he was scum when a mislynch there wouldn't even end the game so scum wouldn't ever just out their member like that). Meanwhile, players mentioned ideas like lynching the indie claim for lying to everybody and suggesting really anti-town plays to Violet and causing useless chaos, and then decided for no apparent reason that was a bad idea so they should just lynch the inactives. At times, people simply dismissed scummy behavior and moved their reads to be what they'd want, not what is true (this is exemplified by multiple comments from players saying they would be most OK losing to FK and roz). We had so many times where town were having good moments, but instead of forming a core or working together for a PoE, they just reevaluated and lost all of their progress. Some townies were onto all of the scum or had information to bring them down. But instead of teamworking, they just discounted past days and let apathy rule.
It felt almost as though any event that occurred 2 days earlier was just suddenly forgotten. Did anybody remember that Vi shot Math and Zone was shot by him D2? That seemed like some pretty good evidence for them being townies, especially considering the fact they also left votes on Math for most of D3. But suddenly all was forgotten and Vi got pressured into suicide bombing Zone. BB was confirmed to have tracked Math to the nightkill. Was he cleared for this? Meanwhile, Eevee voted for Math to win the suicide bomb and then lost his progression there. Did anybody note that? The most potent VCA wasn't anonymous voting WIFOM, it was using concrete evidence from earlier in the game. Proceed with those aforementioned three clear and you have that two of Drac/Nick/FK/Eevee are scum with one mislynch left. That's a winnable situation. But instead, nobody even saw those votes (if somebody had seen them and just doubted in that as good evidence, that would be acceptable, but the fact they were missed completely is ridiculous when people complained so much about hammers not existing and then didn't use the time they got granted). Nobody looked through ISOs to see progression. And at the end of the day, town squandered any advantage they might have, a whole 1500+ posts of content.

That being said, thank you to everybody for being kind, polite, and amazing people who made this a very fun game to spectate (and tear my hair out in the process :p), and please don't take anything said here too harshly because I could tell almost everybody was giving the game their all (as evidenced by the fact that you thankfully never gave me any trouble from an inactivity perspective) and it's really hard to play mafia (especially as a newbie like so many of you were) so thank you so much for giving that effort.

tl;dr
-Setup generally fine, but needed a lot more clarity and potential situations resolved
-Game Updates hit-or-miss
-Different lynch options potentially interesting ideas for future on here; bastard and nightless also worth considering
-Hosting required more time than I could give it, which led to mistakes
-Scum played with great teamwork and great individual performances
-Town made surface-level reads instead of digging into motivation
-Town didn't reread/build PoE/core up and cooperate

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I appreciate your insight here NP, and I agree with most of your comments. We should have done ISOs. We should have investigated the voting patterns. We should have pressured people harder to realise their true motivations. Heck, I even said this in the final day -- and despite that, I never actually followed through with it!

That's the problem. Townspeople know what to do -- they just aren't that invested in the game to do it, they either don't have enough time or don't have enough interest. Keep in mind, there's 1.5k posts in this game. That's one hefty dataset, and to analysis and communicate even a fraction of those posts is very often banal. The results aren't always promising -- your scumdar could be utterly and entirely dysfunctional and for all you know, your efforts are getting another teammate lynched. The high proportion of new players takes its toll since you can't expect them to know what to look for, and our ongoing subbing-out issue (4 !!) means that you can't reliably investigate half of the data from the early game anyway. With the mafian team makes up half of the more experienced / involved people actually playing, that's exacerbated further.

Basically, I don't see this apathy resolving by itself. Our current way of playing Mafia just isn't very 'Beach friendly. The solution needs to: work for those with medium to low activity, for those who don't like to long games or month-long commitments, for those who become easily disinterested, and those who still want to analyse posts and scumhunt. The only fix that I can think of is shorter game lengths, resulting in:

- less posts to read / backlog
- less data to shift through while scumhunting
- less of a time commitment
- higher number of games --> the meta changes more regularly and stays fresh
- more accessible game (more people able to participate) --> more roles, and more the merrier
- players post more or less the same amount --> high activity players don't feel like they're carrying the town
Thoughts?

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
That's the problem. Townspeople know what to do -- they just aren't that invested in the game to do it, they either don't have enough time or don't have enough interest.
Not sure how much my word is worth here but I may as well speak up. I felt I was the opposite of this for most of the game, but there were definitely a couple points during the game where I just fell out and had no interest. Even though I didn't really know what to do most times I had people to talk to and discuss, and felt I was really invested for being a new player.

NinjaPenguin

Basically, I don't see this apathy resolving by itself. Our current way of playing Mafia just isn't very 'Beach friendly. The solution needs to: work for those with medium to low activity, for those who don't like to long games or month-long commitments, for those who become easily disinterested, and those who still want to analyse posts and scumhunt. The only fix that I can think of is shorter game lengths, resulting in:

- less posts to read / backlog
- less data to shift through while scumhunting
- less of a time commitment
- higher number of games --> the meta changes more regularly and stays fresh
- more accessible game (more people able to participate) --> more roles, and more the merrier
- players post more or less the same amount --> high activity players don't feel like they're carrying the town
Thoughts?
I definitely agree with this concept, and think that for sure we at least need shorter nights than the site meta of 48+ hours and the ability to have hammers so we don't stall out.
I'd worry about pushing phase lengths on here any shorter than 72/24. I think a lot of people here can be absent for fairly long periods of time, and giving longer phase lengths exists in many ways because we want to have enough posts to read all of the players in the game, and allow those players and playstyles to exert influence on the game themselves in a way short phases lengths can't allow them to (e.g. when you look at something like Speed Mafia with short phase lengths, the town really never got time to effectively develop reads or sufficient content).
There's only one way to try out that hypothesis though, and that would be with starting to reduce phase lengths! I'd personally suggest 72/24 or 84/36 as possible lengths; your thoughts on the specific here?
Not sure how much my word is worth here but I may as well speak up. I felt I was the opposite of this for most of the game, but there were definitely a couple points during the game where I just fell out and had no interest. Even though I didn't really know what to do most times I had people to talk to and discuss, and felt I was really invested for being a new player.
Your word is worth a lot as a new player, Vi! When specifically during day phases did you feel as though you fell out (e.g. when activity was speeding up/slowing down, early in game/late in day, etc.)?

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I took a look at the old Speed Mafia game just then, and the general consensus appeared to be that 24 hours was too short while 48 hours would have been fine. That makes sense, because it maintains momentum while still allowing for people in incompatible timezones to respond to each other. It also fixes the back-and-forth issue, which is often time-consuming and banal. Scattered and I played a few games of this 48/24 hr length on Zone's home forum, and it allowed for proper discussion + analysis. I would definitely recommend 48/24 (2.5 week commitment) OR 48/0 (1.75 week commitment), where night actions are submitted during the Day Phase like in this game. If we want momentum, then 48/0 is best. If we find that 48 hours is not enough time for analytical players to develop their cases, then the 48/24 model is best, as it gives an extra 24 hours to those analytical players.

On a different note, someone should absolutely host another "Attack on the Beach" game where roles are the players themselves. :x

I think a lot of people here can be absent for fairly long periods of time,
Right, shorter phases does mean that people who go on v/la will miss more phases than they might in longer games. This does make v/las impractical -- but I don't think that's necessarily a problem. If you expect to be absent, don't play. If your v/la would be early on, sign up as a sub. Because there would be a higher turnover of games, it's not like you're missing out -- you can always join the next one.

and giving longer phase lengths exists in many ways because we want to have enough posts to read all of the players in the game, and allow those players and playstyles to exert influence on the game themselves in a way short phases lengths can't allow them to
On the flip side, if you have shorter phase lengths then you have less posts to backlog, and so you have more time than before to write your own posts. This should result in the less active players posting more, resolving the problem -- that players can't be read, because they haven't posted enough.

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
On a different note, someone should absolutely host another "Attack on the Beach" game where roles are the players themselves. :x
I may try to start working on something along those lines really soon. Can't make any promises with my schedule though...
I just want another shot at hosting a game after my last plan blew up in my face.
Don't plan on it being the next game though.

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
When specifically during day phases did you feel as though you fell out (e.g. when activity was speeding up/slowing down, early in game/late in day, etc.)?
I think it was probably around mid-day and activity felt like it was fairly fast. The first time it happened though, it was totally just because BB4 was ending and I needed to do a ton of writing for that, you know that.

NinjaPenguin

Postgame: Part 2-Player and Role Analysis

Disclaimer: Critiques here may also tend to be blunt and assertive. Please remember that I’m critiquing your play and not you the person. If you want me to dig into your play more closely for deeper opinions on how you played, shoot me a PM and I’ll try to get to it. Also, role analysis can’t really focused on how well the role would work in future games because basically none of these roles should be used again, so it will focus more on how it worked this game.

@quakingpunch73/@Professor_jplap-Alexis
You are Alexis (Username: VillageGoddessFTW), and you are aligned with the Players. When not checking your Instagram followers or convincing your parents not to ground you for failing three classes (but seriously who even like uses Geometry in real life besides like Geometrists or whatever), you are addicted to helping grow your village to be more successful than any of your ex-boyfriends or fake friends. The whole idea of people who hack the game is just stupid; don’t their parents have enough money to afford some cheap gems?

Passive Ability: Hot Gossip
You really like to know what’s about to happen, and are basically a verifiable encyclopedia for news and events that are going to occur within the next two days. In fact, since your mother knows a couple people on the My Bastard Village development team, you can get some exciting behind the scenes knowledge on the updates! Every 24 hours, you will be given some secrets on the next two upcoming game updates.

Active Ability: Not Blackmail, Just… Repayment
You really don’t want to admit it, but you’re just not as popular as you used to be after you started struggling a bit in school. All those faking wannabes invented that as an excuse to push you to the outside, but you still have the connection and gossip to make any of those populars pay. Once a day, when there are 24 hours or more remaining, you may PM me ##BLACKMAIL: Player 1 to Player 2, where Player 1 has more likes on-site than you (with like totals taken from the beginning of the game). With 24 hours left in the day, you’ll threaten Player 1, giving them a choice between having a totally embarrassing secret about their role being revealed in the next update or targeting Player 2.

Win Condition: Eliminate all threats to the Players.

Bastard Element: If any secrets learned from Hot Gossip are leaked in the thread before the updates they correspond to release, the developers, wanting their updates to be more secretive, will start lying about update secrets, starting with a 25% chance of lying at the first leak and increasing by 10% every time an update is leaked.
Role Analysis:
Blackmail is a kinda fun ability, with a choice that the target gets and limited options of who to target. The fact that it couldn’t target any scum in this game was definitely a mistake though; that would need to be reworked probably. Hot Gossip would be OK if I gave more information and was always remembering to update Quaking/Jplap on it, which I wasn’t because as I explained, I was quite busy.
I think what’s really noteworthy about this role, however, isn’t actually the role itself but the fact I included the example rolecard in the game. The reactions I got from doing it were kinda great, and I think the intended effect was definitely achieved when it came to his flip, though I really wanted to see somebody actually claim this role and all the reactions it would get.

Player Analysis:
Quaking basically immediately subbed out, but somehow made enough of a mark in the game to get Jplap (who will be talked about for the rest of this) lynched after subbing in when he couldn’t defend himself. Jplap wasn’t much of a figure before or after his revival, and really wasn’t playing the game as much as he should have been considering he was confirmed town.
Best Play:
You tried your best to dispel suspicions that you might have been converted after your revival. At the very least, you saved yourself from even potentially getting mislynched for a second time or anything.
Worst Play:
You simply didn’t invest the time to play this game, though you are pretty often on the Forum and make plenty of posts in other sections. When you’re in an important and confirmed position, it’s important to take the time to try to get good reads and lead the town, but you barely posted and your reads were below rand.

@TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK-Jake
You are Jake (Username: 1337Doge), and you are aligned with yourself. When not programming or making sure you’re on track for valedictorian, you spend your time on My Bastard Village. The game has very deep mechanics and a lot of impressive features along with having some open-source code, which you really enjoy. And all the populars at school play it, so you look pretty cool in the process.

Passive Ability: Annoying Twin
Your twin brother, Michael, also plays this game. Normally, you wouldn’t even bother with that stupid jock, but he’s popular so you figure associating with him might make you seem cool. You have a chat with Michael, and the link to that chat will be sent to you in a separate PM.

Passive Ability: Loser
Michael isn’t good for very much, but at least he can help you gather the confidence to talk to more people. If somebody doesn’t respond to one of Michael’s DMs, you will talk to them about something more relatable, and gain a chat to speak to them (though you’ll only be given their My Bastard Village username instead of their actual identity and vice versa). This ability will not be revealed upon you being eliminated from the game.

Passive Ability: Loyal Brother
Despite all the snide things you might say about Michael, you really do feel like you need him for the purpose of maybe being able to one day be cool. So it’s not really worth it for you playing this game if his account is not around. You will be sent Michael’s role in another PM, and your win condition is both of you surviving until the end of the game (if he dies, you will still be able to win, but your win condition will be more difficult).

Win Condition: Michael and you survive until to the end of the game.

If Michael dies:
Loyal Brother becomes locked.

Passive Ability: H4xor-Prone
Michael’s account may be deleted, but you can take your revenge and eliminate everybody who was a direct cause of his elimination. And to do that, you need to ensure your own survival through your elite programming abilities. Through increasing your account security, you have made it so that every attack made against you by somebody that caused Michael’s elimination will have a half its original chance of succeeding. Additionally, your new win condition is to eliminate everybody who was a direct cause of Michael’s elimination, to get your petty revenge.

Win Condition: Eliminate all player/s who caused Michael to be eliminated while still remaining in the game.

Bastard Element: Certain characters secretly aren’t allowed to speak in Loser chat: Alexis, Jaime, Madison
Role Analysis:
Hey look it’s an indie that actually has a chance to win the game. Jake’s win-con is probably more interesting when it comes to getting revenge for Michael’s death than at first. In fact, it’s a pretty boring role unless Michael gets lynched, which isn’t going to happen because Jake knows Michael is a townie, so that knowledge should be removed and the role should get something that forces the player to have agency instead of purely passives.
I also had absolutely no plan for Michael using a suicide bomb, which forced me to make Nick a survivor in addition to the additional win-con because removing him from the game and it suddenly ending would be unfair without a warning that this could happen. That was definitely something I needed to account for.

Player Analysis:
Nick was the passive player to complement this passive role. He didn’t specifically need to do anything to push towards his win-con, so he just...did nothing. He was gone for a day and a half, never really caught up or made reads, and never tried to push for Vi’s townieness (which he knew because he got her role) in the thread. This caused scum to leave him alive and therefore let him win, but really nothing there is to credit to Nick’s play (which also shows an inherent flaw in the role design that an indie could win without pushing their win-con).
Best Play:
Pretty early on, you revealed your win-con to Vi, which was a good foundation to build off of when it comes to helping work with Vi to achieve both of your win-cons, basically as masons. It’s a tiny thing, but this was the main reason Vi didn’t blow you up with the suicide bomb.
Worst Play:
You didn’t take a thread presence or any initiative to make sure that your win-con was accomplished as opposed to just letting it happen. Vi’s survival was up to complete luck when it really shouldn’t have been and you should have actually played the game and kept her safe. What you did do, however, was make shots and votes that got you suspected, which is no good.

@bbninjas-Manny
You are Manny (Username: AuroraOfFun), and you are aligned with the Players. A charismatic individual and professional clown, you are beloved by all who know you as the caring, compassionate person you truly are. You decided to play My Bastard Village because a friend of yours pressured you into it, and you’ve stayed for the community as a fair player even though your original friend has long abandoned it.

Passive Ability: Long Lost Cousin
In a shocking moment, you discovered that a member of some random Pokeman forum, Blakers, was your long lost third cousin from the left. Now, you two have become inseparable. You may communicate about this game with Blakers outside of the thread, though you must send me the transcripts of your discussions afterwards.

Active Ability: Thirteen Years Old
You’ve become obstinately convinced in the fact that almost everybody who plays My Bastard Village is only thirteen years old. And you will be very sure that those people get a quality education so that they can achieve success in their lives. Twice during the game, you may post bolded and blue in thread “[Player] you’re only thirteen years old go to school.” That player will be forced to go to school, and as such will not be able to participate in the next game update.

Bastard Element: None
Role Analysis:
This role happens to have a basis on a certain Gengar on our site, which I’m sure some of you may have noticed. Thirteen Years Old probably needs to prevent a player from participating in events for a longer amount of time to be worth anything, but then again I don’t think it should exist considering there’s already the word censor. Long Lost Cousin could have worked in terms of an uniformed teammate, but Blakers was unfortunately super busy in the first half of the game with BB4 and then he and BB fell out of contact so it went mostly unused.

Player Analysis:
As the main form of town leadership, BB had good reads and was seeing all of the right signs, until he got too mixed up in the whole Agent X mechanics and alignment of the claim rather than the player and their actions, and promptly abandoned his careful reads to eliminate townies for bad play.
Best Play:
With three hours remaining in Day 3, after Kiiruma, your reads list/votes had Math 2nd, Nick 3rd, eevee 4th, and FK 5th. That’s about as perfect as you can expect to get, and would have worked out quite well had you turned this into a PoE and just stuck with it.
Worst Play:
You got it into your head that Agent X’s attempts to sow chaos were inherently townie, and then after Math was revealed as scum, abandoned your eevee read because of some distancing, which led you to begin to suspect other players and focus instead on misleading (and difficult to take much use from) things like who could have voted Nick and the wiretapped post.

@mordacazir-Lisa
You are Lisa (Username: VenusLovesU2), and you are aligned with the Players. A former secretary turned reality television contestant turned corporate executive, your most important obligation in the world is as a priestess to the goddess Venus, who chose you due to your relations to Numa Pompilius, second king of Rome. You have found that the chat option in this game is a way to spread Venus’s message of love, so you decided to play it. And ripping off the developers by hacking in games is certainly not love.

Active Ability: Higher Power
You’ve devoted yourself in worship to Venus, and as a goddess, she can watch the world from the heights of Mount Olympus. In return for your service, she can watch and give you valuable information. Once a day, you may PM me ##HIGHERPOWER: Player. You will use your relationship with a higher power to learn the names of the player/s they visited during that day.

Active Ability: Holy Water
Venus is said to have been born from seafoam, and you learned from Wikipedia exactly where this occurred! You proceeded to travel to exactly that location (which is a secret and as such can’t be disclosed here) and bottled some holy water. If you put this on your doorstep, you can have one of Venus’s servants carry it off and purify whoever you want. Once a day, you may PM me ##HOLYWATER: Player. That player will be doused in holy water, purifying their vote weight to 1 for the next day phase.

Bastard Element: The “higher” power actually gives the results for the player one higher on the alive player list.
Role Analysis:
This was inspired from a little game on here that mirdo, Lorde, and Violet may remember a bit about. In true Lisa fashion, this role is completely and utterly useless, with every player having a normal vote weight and thus cancelling out Holy Water and Higher Power more likely to confuse than to actually help out with anything. I think this role would have been interesting to see when everybody began to claim or if it got a suspicious seeming Tracker result, but it never got to be showcased at all here.

Player Analysis:
Morda played a pretty typical D1 for him. He had some nice aggression and pressure and mixed results on his reads, but this time around it got him killed N1, so nice job on that! Unfortunately, even his reads were hurt by the reevaluation curse this game, as he moved from the better reads to those on players who may have been playing suboptimally but not scummy.
Best Play:
Quite early on, you were pretty much onto FK, and was pressuring him on a lot of the right points. If you had been able to convince others to join you on a wagon instead of then becoming inactive for a bit and forgetting this read, you could have set a very different tone for this game.
Worst Play:
Near the end of the day, however, the three players you suspected the most were the townies that were the easiest to use as mislynch bait: Jplap, Drac, and Zone. Try a bit more to read motivation and alignment as opposed to just surface level stuff in the future.

@scattered mind-Thomas
You are Thomas (Username: SecurityExpert), and you are aligned with the Players. A professional security expert, you’ve been hired by the My Bastard Village team to fix problems that the Hackers have been exploiting. You only got an account for the purpose of understanding how the game you were working on works, and honest couldn’t care much for it, but it’s your job to fix it so that’s what you’ll do.

Passive Ability: Security Wall
You may have been recently hired, but you’ve still been able to make some progress on fixing the vulnerabilities that plague this game. In fact, you’ve been able to enable players to successfully add two-factor authentication and other security features to their accounts. If your account is deleted and your work is removed, however, all players will be unable to use abilities that protect the account security of others.

Active Ability: Background Code
As a programmer, you are able to access details on whether or not developer made posts have been edited. If one has been edited, you can then dig into the IP address that edited the post, and see whether or not that post has been messed with by an outside source. Once during the game, you may PM me ##BACKGROUND: Number, where the number is the number of a post I have made in this game. You will then see if any Hackers affected the post with one of their abilities and restore it to how it would be if they didn’t modify it.

Role Analysis:
Security Wall is an Enabler for something that doesn’t exist at all, and Background Code is quite unlikely to actually target one of the few posts where incorrect information could have been disseminated from. The appearance of an enabler definitely changed the calculations of some wishes and other plans from the scum, which was nice to see. Pretty uninteresting role.

Player Analysis:
Scattered played a nice typical scattered game, with a bit of a wrinkle thrown in there from a V/LA. Scum wanted to kill you both nights because you were catching onto behavior that was fake rather than just going towards whatever looked suspicious. You needed to sheep a bit since it was hard to get caught up, but your reads were good for early days and you had some really valid points about people like Zone that everybody consistently ignored.
Best Play:
You made your reads based on motivation and they clearly paid off, with what you were saying being significantly better than rand, even on only D1/2. Nice job!
Worst Play:
Nothing was really bad about you game this time except the fact that you didn’t have the time to push your reads and force townies to listen, which is quite unfortunate but not your fault at all. I guess if you get forced in this situation again, just try to get a bit more influence?

@Luispipe8-Jenny
You are Jenny (Username: Patriots4Life), and you are aligned with the Players. A staunch New England Patriots supporter, you do your best to be in attendance for all of their games. You heard as a rumor recently that Brady plays My Bastard Village, so you had to check out the game and got totally hooked. Just like your Pats, you totally believe in victories by your own merit, so you’d never cheat.

Passive Ability: Spygate
Well, admittedly, there is that one tiny little blemish where the Patriots were framed and definitely didn’t steal signals of their opponents. And you definitely aren’t trying to find your ways to intercept forms of outside communication in their model yourself. But just in case a message from a random outside chat happens to come your way at the beginning of every even numbered day, you’ll be ready.

Role Analysis:
QT Wiretapper used to be a pretty widely used role on this site, before people suddenly realized it was bastard and ridiculous to force your scum to spam their scumchat to avoid being caught by it, which had began to happen in any game. So this role was basically completely banned on here. It worked fine here because it’s a bastard game (and because I created a billion outside chats), but here’s a friendly reminder we don’t need to see it even again.

Player Analysis:
Luis is always a pretty consistent player in Mafia, playing the game to his best and making use of mechanics and roles to help his faction out. This time around, there wasn’t as much making or pushing of reads as I’ve come to expect, and I’m pretty sure it was because of burnout from the phase length and the fact that it was bastard, which really isn’t something you’ll need to deal with in the future.
Best Play:
When you claimed the post you found with your wiretap, you fakeclaimed the details of your ability, so that you might be able to get more useful results with it, which led the scum to not kill you on Day 3 and let you get that final post (which unfortunately happened not to be from the scumchat).
Worst Play:
Your mechanical information led you to move away from making detailed reads, which led them to be a bit rushed, with a tendency to be less focused on motivation and therefore less accurate than I’m used to seeing from you. I wish you could have taken those longer phase lengths and used them just to develop your reads a bit more.

@xDoggerx/@Kiiruma-Cheryl
You are Cheryl (Username: SmallTownGirl), and you are aligned with the Players. A waitress living in Idaho, you’ve been saving up to get a degree ever since ex-husband dumped you for a girl half your age. You began to play My Bastard Village after you visited the farm town where you grew up, wanting to recreate the location of your childhood. That town is so simple to build that you would never even need any fake gems.

Passive Ability: Lonely World
You may be used to living in rural areas, but sometimes life feels empty when compared to the cities that you see so often in the movies. On some days, you just stare outside, dreaming of what your life could become. And perhaps if the right building comes into your life, you could do something about it...

Active Ability: Coming Right Up
As a waitress, you’ve learned just how to sell somebody on a nice, authentic, Idahoan cuisine, known for the multifaceted use of the potato. Now, you can sell these players on this food. Once a day, you may PM me ##SERVE: Dish to Player. You’ll send the player an image of that dish, inspiring them to make it for themselves and reap the benefits. You can only send each dish once, and only send one dish to each player this game. Your list of dishes is:

Mashed Potato: Player can use Active Abilities double the amount they are normally allowed to the next day.
Hash Browns: Player can’t vote you the next day.
Baked Potato: Player will be informed you are aligned with the Players if their account is deleted.
French Fries: Player will get to put an 10 word announcement in the next day end post regardless of whether their account is deleted or not.
Roasted Potato: Player will have their next Active Ability they use redirected onto themselves.
Potato Pancake: Player will be immune to all disruptive actions the next day.

Lonely World:
If wagon station is built, she takes inspiration, leading her dishes to all have heightened (and combined between two adjacent (i.e. Mashed Potato+Hash Browns, Baked Potato+French Fries, Roasted Potato+Potato Pancake)) effects.

Role Analysis:
This role was one that I created in little time, to try to utilize the map. It’s incredibly boring, with the only maybe interesting thing is the combination effect of a player being able to be informed you are aligned with the Players and being able to write a message if they die. It’s also probably the largest town PR, so I guess it serves a purpose in that way, but the flavor and abilities look rushed and uninteresting and that’s because they are.

Player Analysis:
Dogger unfortunately didn’t have enough time to play so this is gonna focus on Kiiruma. Thank you so much for being a sub who really tried to get into this game! Your reads were off, but you had very little time to develop them. I didn’t really understand why you were mislynched either; I think it’s mostly due to strange town apathy/tunneling because you really weren’t doing anything that scummy.
Best Play:
You subbed in willing and ready to play the game, participated in events (including in the deadchat, special shoutout for being the only person to do that!), and won one of them for yourself, which is all anybody can ask for from a sub. I think you would have done pretty well if you had only gotten to play for longer.
Worst Play:
Your reads were unfortunately pretty off, and you ended up very much pocketed by both FK and eevee. It’s super hard to get good reads in a completely new meta (and you proved that you can make great reads in your Game Update 14 performance), so just try to calibrate your reads differently if you play again on here (but then again the scum that tricked you aren’t from here either, so-uh-I guess adjust to their meta too? :p).

@Zone Q11-Robert
You are Robert (Username: VillageIdiot143), and you are aligned with the Players. A married life insurance salesman, you seem to live a typical boring life, but you’ve been disguising one huge secret. You’ve been cheating, and you’ve been using direct messages through an innocent seeming video game, My Bastard Village, to do it. You’re completely legit in terms of the game, though, and want to be sure the Hackers are rid of immediately so this secret can’t get out.

Passive Ability: Secretive Actions
You really don’t want your affair to be seen, so you’ve taken extreme measures to keep it a secret, including extreme enhancement to account security and setting up a VPN. As such, your actions will be unable to be detected by any roles.

Active Ability: Insurance Policy
As an insurance salesman, you know the perfect policy for everybody, and you’re completely willing to sell one relating to the life of somebody’s village. Once a day, you may PM me ##INSURANCE: Player. You will sell that player some insurance for their account, and if it is deleted before the end of the next day, they will be given compensation in the form of a vote that they can place on somebody that will be revealed at the end of the day (that player will not receive access to the graveyard chat until the end of that day).

Bastard Element: Insurance is expensive. If there is a tie, the player voted by the player getting insurance will lose the tie as payment.
Role Analysis:
This is one of the few roles that I think actually could be potentially intriguing to have in another game, as long as no deadchat access is given to the dead player with a vote (also probably as long as it wasn’t allowed to mess with LYLO situations). The ninja modifier is just another way to mess with the tracker even more.
I know Zone was wondering if there was a specific role in the game that Robert was having an affair with, and while it’s not said anywhere, I definitely have my secret headcannon on the person in this game that it is. Who is it? The world will never know. :p

Player Analysis:
This was the first time I’ve ever actually seen Zone rand town in a game, and somehow your town meta is even more insane than your scum meta. The Easter Egg defeat sent you off into a Nihilistic Spiral of Doom™ in which you basically abandoned the concept of reads in general and just strapped along for the ride and hoped it worked out, which never ended up happening.
Best Play:
You invested a ton of effort into posting and participating in games and trying to do the right thing, even though you were quite upset with the game and weren’t really sure how to approach it at all. If you had a good plan for what to do with that time, you would have been in good positioning.
Worst Play:
Your reads were pretty consistently based on pretty surface-level stuff and not indicative of alignment really at all. Try to think less about the content of what somebody is posting (i.e. does the player’s logic check out?) and instead what they’re trying to do with it (i.e. is the player pushing an agenda?). You might not have an investigative role, but that certainly doesn’t mean you’re hopeless.

@GM DracLord-Madison
You are Madison (Username: PikachuGurl!!), and you are aligned with the Players. At only eight years old, you probably shouldn’t be playing this game, but it’s okay because your friends all play it anyways. Sure, your parents grounded you the last time they found out you were playing this game again, but it’s not like you’re cheating or anything!

Passive Ability: Guilty Child
Since you are only eight years old and you lied and said you were 108 so you would be old enough to make an account for this game, you are very guilty of lying and you’re not very good at being able to disguise being such a bad girl. At the beginning of Day 1, you will be revealed as the Guilty Child.

Active Ability: Plushie Says So
Whenever you have a question, you ask your Pikachu plushie, Xavier, who sits next to you as you sleep. You figure it can’t hurt to ask him to help you defeat these...Backers or whatever they are. Once a day, you may PM me ##PLUSHIE: Player. You will ask Xavier is that player is aligned with the Hackers, and he has a 50% chance of giving the correct answer.

Role Analysis:
This role is completely and utterly useless, with the seer result giving you 50% Hacker regardless of alignment and Guilty Child being unable to have any effect on the game (except potentially making the player suspected more for little to no reason). That also makes it prime to players suspecting it’s more than it lets on, which was exactly what happened.
For those who didn’t catch this, Madison’s username is the same as one of the reviews in the OP, so you should check that out. <3

Player Analysis:
As usual, Drac, you played your typical passive game. Your reads this time around, however, surprised me, since you were the one who actually ended up solving the game in the end, even if it was a bit too late. Unfortunately, they pushed back against you and let you get mislynched.
Best Play:
You were the only player who actually solved the game in the end, as you were able to distance players’ interactions with you and find their true alignment instead of gravitating to what simply looked strange. Amazing job!
Worst Play:
You weren’t able to grab a thread presence which let you actually lynch your scumreads, despite the fact that you were the one that was correct. You need to find a way to get more influence and convince people to vote with you, as opposed to just voting people, so your correct reads can’t go to waste.

@TheR3DX-Jaime
You are Jaime (Username: MissGoldenGlobe), and you are aligned with the Players. A former beauty queen, though you may be perceived by some as shallow, in reality you’re warm, sensitive, and kind individual with your own aspirations of becoming a dramatic actress. You got into My Bastard Village so that you could build a perfect community, mirroring the world peace that you always said you desired in the pagents. Lying and hacking would never be allowed in that utopia, and as such, you play legitimately.

Active Ability: Two-Faced
As an actress, you know as well as anybody how to seem as though you think something while actually doing something completely different. And this can definitely be applied when rooting out these hackers. Whenever you like, you may PM me ##VOTE: Player. You will report that player, and your vote will be on them regardless of what you claim in-thread (if you make any votes in-thread after doing this, the vote in thread will be assumed to be your current vote unless you send another PM).

Active Ability: Stunning Beauty
Your tenure as a beauty queen has definitely taught you how to use your looks to stun the audience. And now, you can use that to your advantage. Once a day, you may PM me ##STUN: Player. You will DM that Player a selfie of yours from your pageant days, and they’ll be too busy stunned by your looks that any abilities they use will be blocked.

Bastard Element: Player is capitalized, so Stunning Beauty can only work on members of the Players.
Role Analysis:
This is probably the most directly bastard role in the game (I went light on you guys, okay?). Stunning Beauty, instead of being able to block kills or scum role, explicitly can only hurt townies, and Two-Faced is completely useless for a townie, combining for a role that’s both likely to hurt its faction and get mislynched (as shown by BB thinking it was a fake flip). In a way, that also makes it one of my favorites in this game.

Player Analysis:
Thanks for volunteering and playing, R3! There’s not much I can really say here since you were killed 3 days into the game and it wasn’t really your fault, so-uh-sorry about that because it’s kinda awful to die immediately as a newbie and thanks for giving it a try.
Best Play:
You seemed to be gaining an aptitude for what you were doing, and were on a good track to do well as a newbie before your abrupt death.
Worst Play:
Uh-I suppose it was volunteering to play in the Game Update that killed you, but that really isn’t anything that’s your fault.

@MegaPod_781/@MathBlade-Mark
You are Mark (Username: MarkPlays), and you are aligned with the Hackers. A fading YouTube star, your videos never can gain the attention they used to. Perhaps your audience has aged up or your dark humor doesn't appeal anymore, but no matter what, you simply can't replicate your past success. And so you've resorted to hacking, so your videos of your amazing village can gain as many views as possible.

Passive Ability: Hacker Chat
You have a chat with all of your fellow hackers, to talk about how you plan to evade detection. The link to that chat will be sent to you in a separate PM.

Active Ability: Flashy Titles
One of your top YouTube view techniques is to grab attention with an exciting (albeit fake) line, causing your videos to be shared. Now, you can get your fake headlines into the game. Once during the game, you may PM me ##TITLE: Line. That line will be featured in the next day update.

Active Ability: AFKing Noobs
As a pro gamer, you have a special kind of distaste for casuals, and your fans agree with you. In fact, one of your fans have found a way to help eliminate them. By abusing an AFK account notification system in the game, you can delete the accounts of inactive players. Once a day, you may PM me ##AFK: Player, where the player was on the inactive list with 24 hours remaining in the day. You will abuse the AFK glitch to that player's account. You cannot use this ability on the same day any other Hackers eliminate a player’s account.

Win Condition: Eliminate all threats to the Hackers.

Role Analysis:
We were talking five games or so ago about making it so that scum could only kill the people who weren’t playing much of the game and dragging it down with inactivity for better endgames, and this is the manifestation of this idea. That aspect worked fine, and slank vigs would be a worthwhile idea to include on this site in the future if a game was balanced around it I’d think.
Flashy Titles is a fun idea to try to wreck the town into doing something completely ridiculous and incorrect (like convincing them it was LYLO quite early on or creating a terrible post restriction that wrecked discussion for the day). That certainly ended up playing out quite well, and being one of the best things for scum this game.

Player Analysis:
Mega was doing fine, but had to sub out, so this is going to focus on Math. Unfortunately, after subbing in, some townies saw you as a bit scummy, which, because of town apathy, meant that you were in the spotlight for a good portion of the game, and led you to be outed, despite your effective fakeclaim. You did well when you were alive, though, and it was a lot of fun faking Jester with you in the deadchat.
Best Play:
You pulled off that Agent X fakeclaim super well, throwing town completely off your trail and onto Kiiruma and leading them to reevalutate all theirs reads into something much less developed. If it wasn’t for the fact BB had locked in a track on you the next night, you would have been set to go very deep in this game.
Worst Play:
There was something in your entrance that set off the radars of a lot of the town and put a target on your back for most of the game, and I suspect it was the abrasiveness in entering complaining about forum features and being unwilling to read. So I guess just be a bit more smooth with your entrance next time?

@The Last Shaymin/@VioletValkyrie-Michael
You are Michael (Username: HockeyBro1), and you are aligned with the Players. When not playing ice hockey with your friends or earning grades barely good enough to stop your parents from grounding you, you spend your time on My Bastard Village. This isn’t actually for the enjoyment of the game itself, but more for the fact that all the hot girls play it. In fact, you’re not exactly sure much about how to play it, so you don’t exactly have much use for cheating.

Passive Ability: Annoying Twin
Your twin brother, Jake, also plays this game. Normally, you wouldn’t even bother with that little dweeb, but he’s threatened to report you to mom if you don’t talk to him and build your villages together. You have a chat with Jake, and the link to that chat will be sent to you in a separate PM.

Active Ability: Flirt
You have an uncanny ability to get whoever you want as a date. And even though this game definitely is not a dating app, you can at least try to use it as one. Three times during the game, you may PM me ##FLIRT: Player. You’ll DM that player with one of your great pickup lines, and if they reply, you’ll get a chat to share with them (though you’ll only be given their My Bastard Village username instead of their actual identity and vice versa). If you DM certain people, other things could happen. Be warned!

Flirt Effects:
Targets Alexis, Lisa-Ability becomes locked
Targets Charles-Ability now locked, learn he’s a Player
Targets Michelle-Account deleted until hers is; can still speak to Jake

Role Analysis:
This role is the neigborizer that messes with the wiretapper while being able to create some interesting effects. Besides being a neighborizer (basically guaranteed because I didn’t make it seem like an option that would be good to turn down, which was a big mistake because it made Jake even more boring), this role has a couple of side effects, most interesting being that if it targets his mother (Michelle), she forces him to delete his account but he can’t rejoin the game until she can’t catch him again. I had to lower the uses on this by one because I forgot about Discord.
For those who like reading some really bad pickup lines, here were the three I had:
Hey, are you a parking ticket? 'Cause you got fine written all over you, baby.
“My love for you is like diarrhea, baby. I just can’t hold it in.”
“Hey baby, I feel like I'm in a LifeAlert commercial because I've fallen for you and can't get up.”

Player Analysis:
TLS was doing the typical TLS thing of posting things that aren’t scummy but have inconsistent logic before subbing in for Violet. Violet, I was super impressed by your play as a newbie this game! You had your own reads instead of just sheeping, pushed generally what you thought was correct, and took a ton of great steps! You were unfortunately pocketed by one of your outside chats, which held you back, but it was still a really good first performance.
Best Play:
You had a nice collection of small but quite helpful plays this game, including resisting BB from taking shots at a lot of his town targets, being the first person onto Math being scum, and stopping FK’s play of having you get a target for supposedly being the indie.
Worst Play:
You suffered from a typical problem befalling newbies that are placed in chats with scum: too much trust in their chat partner, even if they seemed to be leading you into plays that would only be able to hurt the town. You could tell that FK was leading you into -EV plays, which is the important first step; you only needed to connect that to the idea those actions would make him scum. (Also you probably should have made another neighborhood with somebody, but you simply forgot about it so no problem there.)

@roz_the_eevee-Michelle
You are Michelle (Username: GrammarWoman), and you are aligned with the Hackers. A mother of two and high school English teacher, you play this game in your spare time when you aren’t trying to force your children off of their phones and to read books (ironic, you know, but you gave birth to them so you can make the rules). One of those geeks in your class offered to hack the game and allow you to bypass in-app purchases in exchange for a better grade, which you’ve done in order to play the game effectively on your meager teacher salary.

You have a chat with all of your fellow hackers, to talk about how you plan to evade detection. The link to that chat will be sent to you in a separate PM.

Active Ability: Grammar Police
One of your best skills as a teacher is finding grammatical mistakes in your students’ work. And when you do, you will relentlessly hunt them down and make them pay for violating these sacred rules. At the beginning of every day, you will be given a grammatical mistake. Once during the day, if a player makes that mistake, you may PM me ##GRAMMAR: Player and Post Number, where that post was where that player committed the grammatical mistake (you can check with me to see if a post counts). You will get so angry at that player that they will decide to leave the game and delete their account and the post (with the mistake bolded) will be displayed in post announcing their account’s deletion. You cannot use this ability on the same day any other Hackers eliminate a player’s account.

Active Ability: Word Choice
There is one skill most essential for crafting the perfect essay, and that is strong word choice. To encourage the playerbase to exercise strong language in their writing, you’ve decided to have your student hack the word censor. Once during Day 1, you may PM me ##WORD: Word 1, Word 2, Word 3, Word 4, Word 5. At the beginning of Day 2, those words will be revealed as banned, and players who say any of them will suffer consequences. (I will not allow words that are way too frequent to be chosen, so pick wisely. You only get one chance to submit these words, and I reserve the right to reject any of them and have less than 5 words censored.)

Grammar Mistakes:
-Comma splice
-Unclear pronoun reference
-Incorrect use of it’s/its
-Split infinitive
-Subject-verb disagreement
-Misplaced modifier
-Capitalization error (not counting beginning of sentences)

Breaking Word Censor Consequence: Cannot participate in events related to next update.

Role Analysis:
Aside from killing players based on inactivity, this role is the other killing role of the Hackers, built to eliminate those who break sacred grammar rules that basically everybody breaks at times, but certain individuals get overly angry about. It was pretty fun I think to see three scum digging through the thread trying to find tiny grammatical errors in everybody’s posting.
The word censor was simply too difficult to deal with as a host, and would be much better if it had an effect that didn’t drag an entire mechanic down and require such an annoying effort out of me when I wasn’t equipped to deal with it, though it did provide some funny elements like eevee automatically winning that final Game Update tournament. Not to future hosts: don’t make a mechanic like this if you aren’t ready to live with the consequences to you.

Player Analysis:
You played a super clean scum game this time around, eevee! When it counted, you distanced from and protected your scumbuddies when the timing was right, tried quite well to find your Lost Wolf, coordinated your team’s actions, and won events for your faction. You didn’t have any flashy plays, but you made no real mistakes either.
Best Play:
You were just super consistent in everything you said and did bettering your win-con, while still managing to keep yourself mostly free from suspicion and guarantee you would always win, even if it came down to a Final 3. As I said before, there’s nothing specific I can point to, since it was just really good play all-around.
Worst Play:
You had a bit too much tunnel vision when it came to the Java coder, at times showing more focus on finding them than actually catching scum, which led BB a bit to you before your distancing with Math stopped his suspicion.

@firekitten-Charles
You are Charles (Username: PartyAnimal), and you are aligned with the Hackers. As a professional party planner, you know how to have a blast. You started playing My Bastard Village, and it was kinda fun, but it really became something exciting when you discovered this cool exclusive clique planning to hack the game. You don’t hack it yourself, but you’ll totally support them.

Active Ability: Party Don’t Start
With somebody like you planning an event, everybody will want to join it. But when you’re against them, you can use this fact to your advantage. Once during the game, you may PM me ##PREEMPT. The next daily update will be replaced with a fake event, asking for six people to join. But when they all enter, they will be forced into a deadly prisoner’s dilemma, leading to one of their accounts being deleted. Isn’t being ghosted at a party such a fun experience?

Role Analysis:
This role is built to manipulate people’s trust in host mechanics and balance the game to a more typical 13’er balance rather than a 14’er, with a slight chance of a scum death coming from it. I think this was a quite powerful tool for scum that were part of the event to get trust from the town (this was the event that related to the quote Luis wiretapped btw), and for setting a tone that they were in control, which persisted throughout the game. It’s pretty unfun to only get to play for 48 hours, however, so I definitely should have made this role only usable on Day 2 or later and allowing it on Day 1 is probably the largest yet most simple mistake in the design.

Player Analysis:
For your first game on here, FK, that was a super powerful performance! You made so much chaos, confusion, and misleading information but fakeclaimed just enough to always keep you a couple of steps ahead of town and in a good position the whole game. Your activity and serving as a central figure in the game also helped stake out mislynches to help you win.
Best Play:
I have no clue how you managed to pull it off, but all of your claims launched you forward and helped you push your agenda as far as you could, with your positions as neighbor and Agent X sealing townies as your minions, in the perfect position to do all the dirty work for you (even if Vi didn’t always follow your plays for good reason). Great pocketing!
Worst Play:
At times, I felt that amidst all your claims, your progression and perspective as an “indie” got a bit messy and ingenuine, with your words and claims not always matching up with your actions and thoughts when taken as a collection of posts and not just individual ones, if that makes any sense.

Game Updates:
Game Update 1:
We are excited to introduce a new cooperative feature: the Community Map! Together as a community, you will be able to work together to build your own group village, giving each of you benefits as you work towards your own personal village building projects! We hope that this gives players the opportunity to work together and form a sense of camaraderie as they deal with the current hacker difficulties. We will host events in the future to decide who is allowed to gain input on decisions in this community village, so stay tuned for information on exciting new buildings that are able to be added!
The Community Map could have been a really good idea if it was actually used in some way, but it just ended up underdeveloped and underused, with the only tiny things affecting the game a bit in Cheryl’s role and the fact that once placed, actions would not be allowed to be changed, leading BB to not change his Constable’s Office track from Math to Nick. As is, it was really boring and useless.
Game Update 2:
Hello village enthusiasts! We've designed a super cool group event to decide the first building placed on the community map! The first six people to like this post will get to be our lucky participants. What exactly is the event, you ask? Well, it's a secret! You'll get to find out once everybody has joined.
This is the opportunity to talk about the Charles’s event, instead of the ability itself. I think the choice was very interesting to see both sides debate about, and the temptation was one that the scum could control quite well, and we almost saw both sides betray before R3 pushed against it. It gave a good chance for scum to gain info while and trust in addition to a kill, which was quite fun and exciting to see.
Game Update 3:
What time is it? Time for an Easter Egg hunt! Somewhere in a random post contained within in this game, we've planted a secret, and it's going to be a real challenge to find! The first person to find it gets to use the secret they've discovered to learn any fun fact they wish about My Bastard Village through an interview with the devs. Of course, if that question contains too much of a spoiler about our game and/or what's planned, we feel perfectly entitled to completely evade it and tell you something else entirely.
I’d argue that this was the event that had the most actual effect on the game. It was hidden in a very difficult to find spot, but FK and Eevee teamed up to find the Easter Egg and managed to get it just a couple of hours before Zone could find it. They used it to ask about Neutrals/Lost Wolves who could win with Mafia, and their ability, which I responded with:
“There is in fact another player that can win with the mafia, thank you for asking! A random ability of theirs is that they are able to program in Java while simultaneously balancing a spoon on their nose!”
This, of course, is what led Eevee to fake his husband searching role and spend a good portion of the game hunting it down while his buddies realized it was complete flavor.
Meanwhile, this loss caused Zone to go completely off the rails and become insane for the remaining duration of the game, which had a major impact on everything to say the least.
I think the Easter Egg event was a fun and good idea to give all the players pain and suffering, and I would certainly suggest it again.
Game Update 4:
We want your reviews! To be more precise, we want you to tell the world just how much you love our game! So we're incentivizing these reviews like any good game! Until the end of this day phase, anybody can submit an exemplary 5 star review (in 400 words or less) of My Bastard Village by tagging me and putting it in a spoiler, like the review below:
-Literal Life Saver 5/5 Stars
April 23, 2015 MyBastardBoi857
Before buying My Bastard Village, I was lonely. My friends hated me, I could find any dates, and was two months behind on my rent. Now, I’m married with 3 children and living in a deluxe mansion in Beverly Hills! This game allows me to relax and having a feeling of control over the world, getting my life in shape.
The reiwew that we determine to be the best at showcasing what this game truly has to offer will get to place the first building on the community map, which will be related to a new mechanic soon to be released, out of these three:
Love Shack~Increases Players' ability to survive.
Archery Range~Increases Players' ability to eliminate the Hackers.
Church~Grants the possibility of a divine miracle.
The goal of this event was to provide a change of how ITAs would work the next day, with townies being protected, attacking more effectively, or any player being able to be revived. This was also an opportunity for people to be creative, which we’ll see later simply doesn’t work in terms of participation. It didn’t really work here either and the reward was the most important part of this event, which was used by Luis to cause Jplap’s revival.

Start of Day:
After deliberation, we have determined the course of action for reporting today. We have decided that everybody should be given a chance to have their reports heard, not just the group consensus. So everybody will be able to make one report today, by tagging the devs and posting the reported player in bolded and red, like the following:
Ninja Penguin
We will have a 20% chance of accepting your report and immediately deleting the account of that player. We will only allow four reports every 24 hours, and each player can only submit a report once today, so use them wisely.
Today, your voting will be for who you wish to receive a one shot ability to learn the profile information (role) of the player of their choice (if they target somebody not aligned with the Players, they will only see their safeclaim).
ITAs are a mechanic on other sites that can get a larger playerlist, which I learned here is essential because with few players, there can be a ton of swing. I should have randed shots in advance, but figured no matter what it would either work out well or the playerlist would get trolled, which ended up happening here. I should have controlled a certain number of shots hitting, and because of all of the shots missing, I have no better commentary than that (though its worth noting that since these shots were fired to kill, quite good association reads could be made from them and never were).
The role cop was something that could benefit the scum much more than it ever could help town, and when FK was almost unanimously voted, it helped scum discern if Kiiruma was worth targeting or not with little content from them in thread.
Game Update 5:
Hey everybody! We'd love to hear your ideas for what exciting new mechanics you want in this game, so we're opening it up for feedback! Until the game update tomorrow, anybody can give one suggestion for a future game update to the developers by putting their suggestion in a spoiler, along with tagging me. The update that we determine to be the most exciting will get to be implemented within the game, and as a reward for suggesting that idea, the player that submitted the winning idea will get a free wish that the developers will grant (assuming it's not too extreme; then I corrupt your wish to mean something completely different than what you submitted)!
This was the second competition that required creativity and I also got a couple of underwhelming submissions. Unfortunately, I had to accept the only eligible one, which meant issues in the future when it came to actually implementing it effectively since it had a couple of inherent flaws to it.
The wish from this was used to create Secondary Objectives, which will be discussed later, but FK probably could have wished for something actually useful for him instead of that.
Game Update 6:
We've created a new feature: private tavern parties. By paying a certain amount of gems, you can gain access to private communication with a group instead of just DMs! Of course, since gem purchases were frozen due to the recent hacking, we can't actually implement it for everybody right now. But you can all privately vote for three players (with ##TAVERN: Player 1, Player 2, and Player 3) to get access to a free private tavern party! The players with the top 3 amounts of votes will be added!
This was another chat creation tool with only one vote (from Nick) and ended up being yet another neighborhood in this game, just with potentially more players except not really because Nick basically never spoke there.
This chat, however, was the perfect tool for FK to pocketing Vi aggressively, and he used it to the best of his ability, even if it almost backfired against him a couple of times, to get her to comply with the scum’s agenda.
Secondary Objectives:
At the wish of the suggester of our new game update, Firekitten, we've decided to implement an exciting new mechanic: secondary objectives! Players will be given an objective in the game to accomplish, and if they successfully accomplish it, it will be publicly announced and their role will receive a permanent buff (Yes, this is an actual buff, actually helpful for your role, and not bastard in any way. I'm mod confirming that it is only helpful to sign up for this.)
You may sign up for a secondary objective simply by liking this post. The secondary objectives vary in difficulty from easy to very difficult. Those who like the post earlier will get easier to accomplish secondary objectives, while those who like it later will get more difficult ones. Players whose accounts have been deleted can also like this post, as it may be advantageous to them too.
Signups for secondary objectives will last until the end of Day 2, at which point everybody who has liked this post will receive their secondary objective.
You may not claim nor hint at your secondary objective to anybody, nor may you speculate on the secondary objectives of others.

Potential Objectives:
-Survive to the Beginning of Day 4-Zone Q11
-First Poster in a Day-Firekitten
-Deletion of Somebody Not Aligned With Players-MathBlade
-Post In Rhyme Entirety of a Day-roz_the_eevee
-Constable’s Office Placed on Map-bbninjas
-Chosen by Graveyard Most Likely to Be Lynched-TeamAqua4Life#HEYNICK
-Score Over 111 in Multitask-Luispipe8
-Investigated by Graveyard
-Targeted by Two Players One Day
-Win 2 Game Update Events
-Get a Player to Say “Witenagemot”
-Score Over 1 Billion on Winterbells
These events could have been much more interesting, but with the exception of leading Math to almost want to bus to his allies. Instead, they ended up as superficial and pretty simple tasks that didn’t force people to change the way they approached the game really at all, which is a shame.
Instead, these were all pretty easy, and everybody besides BB (who couldn’t do it because he claimed it) and Nick accomplished theirs, which is a bit of a disappointment.
Game Update 7:
We've introduced a new cheat code into the game, which allows for the account of another player to be eliminated. Of course, it's technically not allowed, so we'd have to delete your account for using it, but why not give it away anyways?! Yeah that couldn't go wrong at all...
So for the giveaway, everybody who's eligible to play will be added to a new conversation where you'll pick out who is given the cheat code. The winner of the cheat code can use it to immediately eliminate the account of themselves and a player of their choice at the same time, though they cannot use it within the last 12 hours of a Day Phase.
A suicide bomb is a prize that probably helps scum more than town, with them being able to cause chaos near the end of the day, while town has to be quite confident their target is scum or be in the front of the PoE to have any real use for it. The game was an interesting experiment to see everybody’s strategies of who to vote, and the votes ended up working very nicely in the end (for those who weren’t aware, the mechanic of this was that the players could vote for whoever they wanted and the players with the most and least votes would both be eliminated until it got down to a Final 2, where everybody would vote for the winner).
Violet unfortunately got pressured into using the Cheat Code when she really shouldn’t have, and suddenly threw the game into LYLO instead of giving town more time to think, which was very much not ideal.
Game Update 8:
At the request of Firekitten, we have implemented a new event! Everyone has 24 hours to vote for someone publicly using ##ONESHOT: Player. The person with the most votes (in the case of a tie, tiebreaker is the player to receive the most votes first) will be stripped of all their current abilities. However, they will gain a one shot ability that is a more upgraded version of their old ability (this will apply at the beginning of Day 3). Additionally, the player selected in this competition will get to pick between the following buildings to place on the community map:
Bank-The player who chooses this gets a permanent self-buff to their role.
Stables-No abilities of any player will be able to be blocked/redirected until the start of Day 4.
Wagon Station-Has an effect on a specific player's role.
Warehouse-The precise mechanic of how the Hackers can kill players is revealed.
This was FK’s submission so I won’t really talk much about that, but the whole idea of including the suggestion follows from the first Game Update, and would be probably better if I could get more and better balanced submissions for this.
The potential rewards vary in terms of which faction they can help (and are all justifiable, which is nice), and FK was able to get away pretty well with being able to get his role buffed twice and getting oneshotted, allowing him to gain the “Agent X” powers (at eevee’s suggestion) and completely change up the game.

Start of Day:
After deliberation, we have determined the course of action for reporting today. We have decided that the best way to go about deciding on reports is with the process of true democracy! We will be submitting votes with the process of ranked choice voting! The votes will be tallied with the system of an instant runoff, and the person who is the leading candidate to be deleted at the end of this process will have their account eliminated (in the case of a tie, the person who received the most first place votes will be eliminated).
To submit votes, have them in a spoiler, like this:

We've also decided to create a free trial for up to four players! Anybody not playing this game who wishes to can like this post up until the next Game Update, and they will receive a vanilla role, but get to play in the game today, including casting a vote and participating in discussion and events. They could be either a Hacker or a Player! At the end of the day, however, their account will be deleted, so you cannot target them with night actions or vote for them today. [Notice: I'm still looking for a sub for xDoggerx. Please contact me about that alongside signing up for this if you sign up for a one day role.]
Ranked-choice voting is known as one of the most democratic ways to elect a candidate, and presents votes in a way that the scum are unable to hide behind a facade and still end up successfully attaining a mislynch. Ranked-choice voting is also a method that is largely seen as reducing turnout, since ballots take more of an effort to complete. I think that both of those concepts ended up playing out here almost perfectly, with town ending up in a good spot to lynch scum, but also with less than half the players voting before the final day.
The free trial had some interesting mechanics that came along with it, but unfortunately it (and the multiple game updates associated with it) was canned because this site has too much inactivity to be able to actually get signups for it.
Game Update 10:
Hello, our lovely players! We've devised a game for everybody to get to know eachother and have a bit of fun! Here's how it going to work! We're going to ask you a set of controversial questions. Your job is to answer them with the name of another person in this game whose account has not yet been deleted. For every question, you will win a point if you chose the most commonly chosen player! The winner will be the person with the most points; in the case of a tie, the player to submit their answers first will win. Here are your questions:
1. Who has the best avatar?
2. Who has the strangest sense of humor?
3. Who is most likely to think that Texas is a country?
4. Who is most likely to shockingly betray you?
5. Who is most likely to have not read their role fully and make a terrible mistake?
6. Who is most likely to have their account deleted, but be aligned with the Players, today?
7. Whose account should be deleted today?
8. To whom would you put your trust in this game above all else?
9. Who do you think is aligned with the Hackers, but are most afraid to be wrong about?
10. Who is most likely to be chosen their faction's MVP at the end of this game?

The winner will be anonymous, and get to choose between the following buildings to place on the Community Map:
Constable’s Office-The player who chooses this gets to target another player of their choice. At the start of Day 4, the player/s they targeted during and at the end of Day 3 will be revealed.
Wagon Station-Has an effect on a specific player's role.
Workshop-The player who chooses this will get to ask the developers of My Bastard Village any question they wish (if that question contains too much of a spoiler about the game and/or what's planned, the devs may completely evade it and tell you something else entirely).

Submissions can be found here.
I was really excited to see a competition that I thought would be easy for a lot of players to participate in and give quick, fun answers, like in the game of Parroting that’s being hosted on here. Instead, only 4 people, including only one site regular, submitted anything for this, which was kinda upsetting to see.
This was also the update that gave town its most important mechanic information, which allowed BB to effectively out Math and produced a tiny bit of momentum for the town this game. It’s worth noting that the fact that BB couldn’t change his action because it was a building meant he wanted to target Nick with it by EoD, but he couldn’t. Looks like that one worked out for him. :p
Game Update 11:
We want some art for this game. To be specific, we want art in the style of Piet Mondrian. And we can't exactly get the rights for his artwork, so-uh-we're going to ask you to make some of your own! Sounds like a great idea... So, everybody who wants to can submit their best Mondrian art via PM, and everybody whose art is sufficient will get a pretty great reward of getting to ask the developers for a wish (where only the most interesting wish will be granted).
Another art competition, another thing that didn’t work out. Oh well. Kiiruma was the only submission, as almost everybody had broken the word censor before it, and he chose a pretty interesting wish involving role modifiers, which I definitely would have abused to make him choose things like Hated.

Start of Day:
After deliberation, we have determined the course of action for reporting today. Yesterday's system we believe was simply too un-American, so we have decided on having today follow the true American voting method. To preserve the integrity of our system, we have decided to make all votes secret today. Today, you must submit your votes via Forum PM (you may unvote or change your vote via PM at any time). At the end of the day, the number of votes each player has received will be revealed (though the people who voted them will not) and the player with the most votes will have their account eliminated. Of course, you may still communicate about your vote in-thread or in outside chats.
The anonymous voting was an attempt to cancel out the advantage that town got in the ranked choice voting Day 3, and therefore inherently pretty scumsided. I’d also like to think that I did some interesting things with it later in the day, it terms of adding an extra wrinkle to it. Since scum was outed, this voting system really didn’t change much besides those mechanics, so I’m glad I added them.
Game Update 13:
Well, we've decided on a game to play today with some explosive consequences. We have randomized that @TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK has a bomb placed within his village. Luckily, it's quite easy for him to diffuse the situation: he can pass it to any other person by using ##PASS: @[Player] bolded and in orange, tagging the player he is passing it to. At a predetermined time, the bomb will explode the village of the player that is currently possessing the bomb, and the player whose village it explodes will be unable to participate in Game Updates for the rest of the game.
This was a terrible idea, considering the word censor was already in place, it’s totally unfun, and a great deal of people didn’t even get to compete in it because they had recently broken the word censor. All-around bad idea that definitely did not need to be included.
Game Update 14:
We've decided that it would be best to tune up your abilities to effectively find Hackers, and there's no better place to do that than from seeing how you would have performed in previous situations like this. In the spoiler below are 10 quotes from past mafia games. The first five are from the first 200 posts of their game, the second five are made during a LYLO/MYLO situation or the last day of the game. Player names have been censored in these quotes, as to prevent anybody from remembering these games. Your goal is to identify which of the quotes came from scum, and which of them came from townies, and submit those answers via PM in a spoiler like the one below the quotes. The player with the most correct answers will win the ability to learn the bastard element of their role, if any (in the case of a tie, the player to submit first wins)!

Quote 1 said:
What I can see here is a lot of abilities being used during Night 0.
  1. Twelve votes to lynch. That's not the majority... Someone's gone and decreased the vote weight.
  2. Two players to lynch. Probably another ability, but it seems powerful; might be a one-off.
  3. Someone's dreams have become a reality! could also be in the update via use of an ability.
We should figure out the roles that each of these suspected abilities might respond to. There could be scum behind any of them.
Quote 2 said:
Well, there is an echo and there is a scummy echo. If you refer to the former, meaning the sheer fact she repeated what you said, yes it can be called an echo. I am just saying that it is not uncommon that during RVS someone makes a questionable post, and get a couple of responses (by 2 responses I meant yours and [Player 1]'s) instead of one. If the case were that you voted someone, and [Player 1] voted the same person, you would not call it echo, you would call it a pressure.
Quote 3 said:
@[Player 1] I think that the OMGUS conflict between [Player 2] and [Player 3] is important, but I think both (for now) are townie.

So for in day one I say either Nolynch, ##VOTE: [Player 4], or [Player 5].
Quote 4 said:
@[Player 1] vote [Player 2]

It's not unrealistic at all. If you don't participate you are scum. They can't find the seer if people participate correctly. Those without information roles would need to guess more town than scum. If scum could determine who seer was enough information would be posted where we win.
Quote 5 said:
We need to be careful with how we handle new players. They're in a Catch-22 on this site. They can either:
- Panic -- Scumtell
- Be Calm -- Being coached -- Scumtell
- Lurk -- Scumtell
- Post fluffy posts -- Scumtell

New players to werewolf aren't going to contribute mountains. They're already at a disadvantage because we can't metaread them (imagine if a new player played like me or [Player 1]; we'd lynch them right away) and so we can't get caught up on what are alleged scumtells and we need to focus on the bigger picture. Also my personal philosophy of bettering the community is more important than winning the game means that I don't think we should lynch [Player 2] today in any case.

##UNVOTE VOTE: [Player 3] because you've been around long enough. I don't find it scummy that you used RNG. I find it scummy that you backpedaled and denied doing so. If you'd have ridden out the storm instead of fighting it, you would have less votes on you. As it stands now, you panicked hardcore and admitted to lying (which we should technically LaL you for anyway). It shows an unnatural need to not have any suspicion on you, which is something you usually have when you're scum (and most players do). That's why I want to lynch you today -- not a random D&D joke @[Player 4].

Quote 6 said:
I silenced him because I had to pick someone. I think he's scum, so it's natural that I pick him.

@[Player 1] I'd rather not run out the clock on this. How can I convince you to change your vote?
Quote 7 said:
I don't think [Player 1] and [Player 2] would bus eachother so much as scum. I'm a townie, so there's either 1 QT member that's scum, or the unlikely bus. Personally, the unlikely bus, combined with the ulikely setup, makes 1 QT member is scum seem much more likely.

[Player 3] is not suspicious for this at all. From his POV (assuming he is a townie), the person who survived two nightkills isn't scum. Either [Player 4] and 2 QT members are scum or [Player 4], 1 QT member, and someone who is almost confirmed indie is scum. Of course, its only natural to assume the two QT members are scum. Then, who seems to be working together in the QT? Me and [Player 2].
I'm pretty sure he is a scum, since those possibilities both seem unlikely. But the reasoning he's using is not flawed.
Quote 8 said:
Yes, we can lose...

The wolf is confirmed to be be one of THREE people (me, [Player 1], [Player 2]).

We get TWO lynches before the wolf wins.
Quote 9 said:
Give me one reason why you guys suspect me.
Quote 10 said:
But then again if we really want to do it.. You need to use your vote [Player 1]

Since me N [Player 2] have 1 vote weight
[Player 3] have 2

We need your vote of at least 1 and have me n [Player 2] vote for [Player 3] to prevent getting a tie

Quote 1:
Quote 2:
Quote 3:
Quote 4:
Quote 5:
Quote 6:
Quote 7:
Quote 8:
Quote 9:
Quote 10:
This was personally my favorite Game Update in the entire game, since it gave people a chance to test out their mafia skills and read philosophies, which I thought was totally interesting to see and compare to how they were acting in the game. The quotes I selected tended to be ones that I thought you could make a fairly easy read from, with a couple of exceptions that I thought would mislead/be hard to get a read from. It also took a long time to setup haha.
Eevee did amazingly with a 10/10 and got to learn the “exciting” news he had no bastard mechanics (also literally 0 townies submitted, which was quite upsetting) and Kiiruma matched that performance in the deadchat. Great job to both of you!
Game Update 15:
It seems that there has been a little bug the Hackers have exploited within our anonymous vote system. We have received word that in the next 24 hours, they will choose to compromise the anonymity of three people, and their votes will be revealed on the vote count at the end of today. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can doing about it at this point, and we are deeply apologetic that this occurred.
This was the first place that the Hackers were able to mess up the anonymous system, and grab towncred for themselves or frame townies. This was able to lead to the town seeing FK as townie for his votes being revealed, and also led to suspicions against a good deal of townies, so the scum used this quite well to their advantage. It probably would have been more interesting though if there was split wagons.
Game Update 16:
It seems that there was actually an even larger bug that the Hackers have been able to make use of! By another very slight programming flaw, as it turns out, the player with the second highest quantity of votes today will unfortunately be completely safe from having their account eliminated tomorrow. Apologies once again for our shoddy programming the inconvenience.
This twist was able to let the Hackers save one of their own and create WIFOM or save a townie and get a ton of suspicion on them. They chose the second option, and made Nick seem incredibly suspicious to basically the entire town, save Violet. This ended up being crucial in causing the town to fail on that final day, so great job here to Eevee and Math for their plan (I also would have liked to see this, however, in a day with split wagons).

Game Updates 17-20:
We have decided to build today's Game Update in the form of a tournament, which will last most of the duration of today! You've been randomly placed into 1v1 matchups (besides TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK, who cannot compete). You will be matched up, and each round, winners will advance, while losers will be placed in their own bracket, where winners will be able to leave. The player who makes to the end will get to publicly add any ability of their choice to their role, while the loser will be secretly given a terrible punishment. Here is your bracket:

For your first round, you will be playing Bowling Masters!

For this next round, you will be playing Bottle Flip!

For this next round, you will be playing Big Birds Racing!
This tournament was built to be the final Game Update in the game, with large prizes (free ability (albeit a balanced one, which is fairly hard to achieve in a LYLO situation) and vanillizing) and the ability to force players to try to play, or else risk punishment. Unfortunately, it was a rare occurrence that players actually submitted for this, and the winner and loser of the tournament ended up being 100% by default, which is probably the fault of incorporating the word censor in here.
The game were selected to have a rage inducing quantity to them (with the exception of Bowling Masters, which I consider genuinely fun) and have super strange and annoying mechanics to them. That also may have discouraged submissions and been a cause of this failing.

And now, it’s time for some shoutouts:
@Lord o da rings for being a help with the setup, a great spectator, and fun to talk about this game to!
@VioletValkyrie for doing incredibly well for a player who had never played mafia in any capacity before!
@Kiiruma for being a super willing and eager sub and participating in events and deadchat activities!
@GM DracLord for being the only player to solve the game in the end!
@MathBlade for being a great sub and integral member of the scumteam!

As for game MVPs:

Player MVP: @bbninjas
You performed the role of town organizer, outed the only scum who got lynched this game, and had super good reads before the whole Agent X thing threw you off. Nice job!

Hacker MVP: @roz_the_eevee
You kept yourself quite hidden as the scum PR, coordinated team actions, and distanced yourself appropriately, assuring your faction’s victory and the fact that you would always end up surviving to the end. Great job!

Overall MVP: @firekitten
Normally, this would be given to the Hacker MVP, since they won this game, but while eevee was probably the most crucial to the Hackers winning this game, you were most crucial to the absolute stomp it became, through your ability to pocket townies for the entirety of the game, cause turmoil throughout the town, and still keep on surviving. Amazing job!

Thank you once again to everybody for playing and making this game a ton of fun as a host! I look forward to seeing all of you again and getting immediately nightkilled in the next game! :D

Last edited:

mordacazir

Lord of Souls
@mordacazir-Lisa
You are Lisa (Username: VenusLovesU2), and you are aligned with the Players. A former secretary turned reality television contestant turned corporate executive, your most important obligation in the world is as a priestess to the goddess Venus, who chose you due to your relations to Numa Pompilius, second king of Rome. You have found that the chat option in this game is a way to spread Venus’s message of love, so you decided to play it. And ripping off the developers by hacking in games is certainly not love.

Active Ability: Higher Power
You’ve devoted yourself in worship to Venus, and as a goddess, she can watch the world from the heights of Mount Olympus. In return for your service, she can watch and give you valuable information. Once a day, you may PM me ##HIGHERPOWER: Player. You will use your relationship with a higher power to learn the names of the player/s they visited during that day.

Active Ability: Holy Water
Venus is said to have been born from seafoam, and you learned from Wikipedia exactly where this occurred! You proceeded to travel to exactly that location (which is a secret and as such can’t be disclosed here) and bottled some holy water. If you put this on your doorstep, you can have one of Venus’s servants carry it off and purify whoever you want. Once a day, you may PM me ##HOLYWATER: Player. That player will be doused in holy water, purifying their vote weight to 1 for the next day phase.

Bastard Element: The “higher” power actually gives the results for the player one higher on the alive player list.
Role Analysis:
This was inspired from a little game on here that mirdo, Lorde, and Violet may remember a bit about. In true Lisa fashion, this role is completely and utterly useless, with every player having a normal vote weight and thus cancelling out Holy Water and Higher Power more likely to confuse than to actually help out with anything. I think this role would have been interesting to see when everybody began to claim or if it got a suspicious seeming Tracker result, but it never got to be showcased at all here.

Player Analysis:
Morda played a pretty typical D1 for him. He had some nice aggression and pressure and mixed results on his reads, but this time around it got him killed N1, so nice job on that! Unfortunately, even his reads were hurt by the reevaluation curse this game, as he moved from the better reads to those on players who may have been playing suboptimally but not scummy.
Best Play:
Quite early on, you were pretty much onto FK, and was pressuring him on a lot of the right points. If you had been able to convince others to join you on a wagon instead of then becoming inactive for a bit and forgetting this read, you could have set a very different tone for this game.
Worst Play:
Near the end of the day, however, the three players you suspected the most were the townies that were the easiest to use as mislynch bait: Jplap, Drac, and Zone. Try a bit more to read motivation and alignment as opposed to just surface level stuff in the future.
Thanks for the analysis! I always like it when hosts do that so I can improve:D

NinjaPenguin

50% for correct and 50% for random?
But random can be correct too, so it is more like 75% vs 25%?
Nono it's 50% correct and 50% incorrect haha. Completely and utterly useless.
I think it was probably around mid-day and activity felt like it was fairly fast. The first time it happened though, it was totally just because BB4 was ending and I needed to do a ton of writing for that, you know that.
I forgot to reply to this, but I think that the way this problem probably goes away is when hammering is accessible, and days can end instead of simply stagnate with a lot of mostly irrelevant and useless posting (and you have time during Night phases to collect your thoughts). Hammering is something that is present in basically every game on here besides this one, so hopefully that's an effective solution for that problem.

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
No, my greatest mistake was being too trusting in firekitten or not protecting violet as much in the late game. I realize that I should've kept my vote on roz in the end.

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
Player Analysis:
TLS was doing the typical TLS thing of posting things that aren’t scummy but have inconsistent logic before subbing in for Violet. Violet, I was super impressed by your play as a newbie this game! You had your own reads instead of just sheeping, pushed generally what you thought was correct, and took a ton of great steps! You were unfortunately pocketed by one of your outside chats, which held you back, but it was still a really good first performance.
Best Play:
You had a nice collection of small but quite helpful plays this game, including resisting BB from taking shots at a lot of his town targets, being the first person onto Math being scum, and stopping FK’s play of having you get a target for supposedly being the indie.
Worst Play:
You suffered from a typical problem befalling newbies that are placed in chats with scum: too much trust in their chat partner, even if they seemed to be leading you into plays that would only be able to hurt the town. You could tell that FK was leading you into -EV plays, which is the important first step; you only needed to connect that to the idea those actions would make him scum. (Also you probably should have made another neighborhood with somebody, but you simply forgot about it so no problem there.)

Thank you! I'm glad I did at least alright as a new player, and I totally realized once it was too late I put way too much trust in anyone I was working with. (I was really relieved when bb was revealed to be town, but the game was basically over at that point and firekitten was scum, haha.)
I like the format of "Best Play/Worst Play" because if/when I join Mafia again I get advice on how to get better, just like mordacazir said earlier.

No, my greatest mistake was being too trusting in firekitten or not protecting violet as much in the late game.
It was less of "protecting Violet as much" and more "protecting Violet at all". My game at some points was attempting to protect you so that you wouldn't die and couldn't protect me anymore. I worked with bb and firekitten and I got asked "What do you think of Nick" a few times and had to go with the excuse of "I don't know, he's just inactive so I don't think he's harmful" because that's all I had to work with. Besides the early game where I asked you if I should open a chat with bb, he may as well have been my twin.

Zone Q11

『Plebeian』『He who Hails from NovelUpdates Forum』
Say, I forgot but who took the Easter Egg now that you mention it?

Status
Not open for further replies.