Finished Mafia LI: Senate Subterfuge~Game Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity lowered
Commence activity
So right now Lele is scum based on rolefishing and generally contradictive responses?
I can buy it we don’t have much else right now
##UNVOTE
##SJKSKDJDKEI: Tapu Lele

This might sound like an unusual question, but why is it that you two veterans have such
different reads of my post?
It is would be influenced by the experiences we've had - for example, some of us may have seen a specific response used by mafians regularly, and not so much town - but this could be an entirely different experience compared to someone else.

Is it though? Let's say Lele is indeed scum and then started his usual role fishing playstyle from last game. Before someone starts to put FoS on that LeLe is trying to step away from the role fishing. Would it be that unrealistic that their scumbuddy told them that they should try and stop rolefishing before they get suspicious? Also, I am going to repeat myself here but consider this later quote:
I feel like there's a very simple solution here, without us needing to go into WIFOM territory: A few people posted in this thread that Tapu Lele's rolefishing is scummy, and as either mafian (not wanted to be lynched) or innocent (not wanting to be mislynched), Tapu Lele tried to step away from being scummy - the role fishing.

Sounds familiar? Even if it's not bbninjas, I don't see Tapu Lele coming with this kind of defense.
That probably came from some quick advice I gave Lele during Mafia 50. Lele asked NP for some help looking for tells, which NP happily gave. I then gave the disclaimer that you need to think about "why" that tell is scummy in that particular context, otherwise you're really just taking a stab in the dark.

Activity lowered Commence activity So right now Lele is scum based on rolefishing and generally contradictive responses?I can buy it we don’t have much else right now ##UNVOTE##SJKSKDJDKEI: Tapu Lele
This isn't quite a brilliant way to go about voting / scumhunting - if there's nothing much else, than you really should be asking the questions so that there is in fact much else.

Certamen: Vir Probissimus

Guess what? We’re having another certamen today! This time, everybody who signs up will be added to a QuickTopic, and have until the end of the day to select who wins this prize. Whoever the majority of the group has decided on by the end of the day wins! The prize you will be selecting will be the power to command the night patrol tonight.
The player who wins this prize will be unable to be killed during tonight, and will additionally gain the ability to send the night patrol to a player’s house. They will learn all players who target them and the type of actions they were targeted with (killing, protective, investigative, or manipulative), though not which player used which type of action. This will be unable to be interfered with in any way, and will be untrackable.

You are not allowed to communicate about this certamen in-thread, but you are allowed to discuss it in any chats.
The first 6 players to like this post get to participate in this certamen, along with any players with an ability that allows them to do such.

There is also supposed to be a vote count but I can’t do that until my break in about 3 hours. That is also when I will check back for the qt people

This might sound like an unusual question, but why is it that you two veterans have such
different reads of my post?
I would genuinely love to know why morda read those posts as town. I cannot think of a single way they can be construed as pro-town.
It's just a massive leap, and a really unsubstantiated one. It's certainly possible that the message was sent to the scum chat, but actually a good mafian would have told Lele it in the thread: stopping a rolefish is a way to earn town cred, and Lele would have put stock into the opinion because he would have known the intentions of the person telling him, as they were both mafia. If it was a less experienced mafian who wouldn't have thought about this and therefore did communicate it to Lele in the scum chat well... we can't be sure, and so it's a really weak case. It's actually a textbook WIFOM case, as it relies on a piece of information (the message in the scum chat) which is impossible for us to find out.

So no, it's not unrealistic, but it's not realistic, either. Completely plausible, but all that means is it holds as much weight as the statement "[player] is mafia". That's totally plausible too, despite having nothing to back it up.
It's not an unsubstantiated leap; it's a pretty obvious backpedal.
A few people posted in this thread that Tapu Lele's rolefishing is scummy
Where?
@TOTAL_EPICNESS, would you mind sharing your advantage from last certamen? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I'm just curious.
He already said he won't share it because he doesn't want to trigger an anti-claim mechanic. Why ask again?

##UNVOTE
##VOTE: JPLAP

There was a pretty common consensus that the role-fishing was not good - and I think that would be a simple explanation as to why Lele stepped away. Interesting to note is that before Gekki, it was only you who posted that Lele's rolefishing was suspicious; I thought there was more.

Fishing. Claiming is dangerous in this game; y'all know that. Why are you asking him that?
Lele stop talking about claiming, it's gone from being borderline useful to clogging the thread & making it harder for jplap to respond to the things that really matter
*I just realised that there's two ways to read this post - Gekki was telling Lele to stop rolefishing; OR Gekki was telling Lele not respond to your (Jabber's) accusations re: claiming. I read the former.

Now I used to suffer from "Roles mean everything in scum hunting" too but I have to say, to the people who are directing so much attention to the role side of things, you're being p suspicious to me. :p
I agree with Jabber. This awareness of the fact that rolehunting is bad after just doing that is alarming. Last game it took you some time till you understood why talking about roles so much is dangerous, and instead of learning from that, you repeated rolehunting this game.
I can understand your poking earlier re: Jplap's role, but why did you feel the need to be really specific on these questions (especially the first)? Because you keep asking questions of jplap, I assume you were expecting a response, and that this wasn't entirely a joke. I'm especially irked by how you would near-definitely get a role-related response to the first question; so why would you ignore the "don't claim" warnings to get information about that?
No, you wouldn't, because the FoS was put on you for distancing yourself with Lele in the thread.

The lead on Lele is legit, but I feel like they have quite a lot of votes on them already from a scan. Probably am completely wrong, though.

I never said it was a good idea. He didn't have to answer. I wanted a sneak peak for what the prize is this certamen.

Well, why would you want a sneak peak? Why would you want T_E to divulge the answer? I would also assume that you would only ask such a question if you thought that it was a good idea; if you asked the question and thought it was a bad idea, then that's a bit scummy.

Well, why would you want a sneak peak? Why would you want T_E to divulge the answer? I would also assume that you would only ask such a question if you thought that it was a good idea; if you asked the question and thought it was a bad idea, then that's a bit scummy.

He doesn't have to answer you know.

Another update from me. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to start the QT until I get home in about 5 hours cause it isn’t playing nicely with my mobile. As such there will be some extra time for those in it to discuss. I also will not be able to give out activity warnings or do a vote count until I get home. Maybe Penguinius can handle it when he gets in, but I am not really able to work on these while I am at work, too time consuming and my breaks are too short.

I apologise profusely, good luck with finding the members of the triumvirate. All of Rome is relying on you.

Although Lele post today aren't really making him an ideal townie, but Lele like has been told earlier, this is his first game from the start, so I think giving him some slack for earlier post would be good,

Another update from me. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to start the QT until I get home in about 5 hours cause it isn’t playing nicely with my mobile. As such there will be some extra time for those in it to discuss. I also will not be able to give out activity warnings or do a vote count until I get home. Maybe Penguinius can handle it when he gets in, but I am not really able to work on these while I am at work, too time consuming and my breaks are too short.

I apologise profusely, good luck with finding the members of the triumvirate. All of Rome is relying on you.
Penguinus adsum!
I also don't have the time for a vote count unfortunately (AC broke down in my house o_O), but I've set up the QT and will send it to all of you to discuss.

Also, an early notice the day phase is being extended for 24 hours, due to the large amount of people who have yet to post. This will give them some time to catch up and hopefully to input their thoughts. Vrack will tag all these no posters in the Vote Count.

@Vracken @NinjaPenguin Can you quantify exactly and specifically the limits of "discussing the Certamen"? Can we discuss Certamens after they have passed? What types of questions are being blocked? If I would volunteer my thoughts on who should be protected via the Certamen, for example, would I be allowed to? I can understand preventing the volunteers from distributing secret information or mechanics they may learn, divulging what they plan to do or specifically asking for the town's opinion. This gets super hazy, since I could just say "Oh, I think it would be best if noone can act on Vracken tonight.", and I'm not technically breaking the rule by talking about the Certamen, even though that's obviously what I'm referring to. Then there's the question of; can we coordinate strategies for certain types of Certamen that we might expect (since there's nothing against discussing the mechanic)? We might discuss who should volunteer for certain types of Certamen, as for example, it would have been best in this particular event if only the players most at risk / most valuable had volunteered (i.e. those who need it); otherwise everyone who volunteers without thinking is just playing a solo-game.

Correct, but you didn't have to ask the question in the first place - and that's my point. What motive / reason / point did you have for asking T_E to tell us about his reward?

I could tell you what it would do for us but I won’t tell you it’s effect
The fact that you are uncertain / vaguing is a red flag that being outspoken on the effect isn't the best idea, necessary or potentially risky. It's up to you, but that's what I'm feeling.

That would be useful.
So... why do you think it would be useful to know? There's obviously more underlying here than just curiosity.

Although Lele post today aren't really making him an ideal townie, but Lele like has been told earlier, this is his first game from the start, so I think giving him some slack for earlier post would be good,
If you don't think Lele should be lynched, then who do you think should be lynched?

@Vracken @NinjaPenguin Can you quantify exactly and specifically the limits of "discussing the Certamen"? Can we discuss Certamens after they have passed? What types of questions are being blocked? If I would volunteer my thoughts on who should be protected via the Certamen, for example, would I be allowed to? I can understand preventing the volunteers from distributing secret information or mechanics they may learn, divulging what they plan to do or specifically asking for the town's opinion. This gets super hazy, since I could just say "Oh, I think it would be best if noone can act on Vracken tonight.", and I'm not technically breaking the rule by talking about the Certamen, even though that's obviously what I'm referring to. Then there's the question of; can we coordinate strategies for certain types of Certamen that we might expect (since there's nothing against discussing the mechanic)? We might discuss who should volunteer for certain types of Certamen, as for example, it would have been best in this particular event if only the players most at risk / most valuable had volunteered (i.e. those who need it); otherwise everyone who volunteers without thinking is just playing a solo-game.
Do any of that as much as you wish, but people in the chat can't tell everybody in thread how it's going, distribute secret information or mechanics, or anything similar.
Discussing anything related to strategy for a certamen or who should sign up for it before it starts like you described would be okay in one like this with a very public player list, but not one such as the first certamen where responses would be anonymous. We'll clarify more about this before all future certamina.

After one has passed, everything is fair game.

There was a pretty common consensus that the role-fishing was not good - and I think that would be a simple explanation as to why Lele stepped away. Interesting to note is that before Gekki, it was only you who posted that Lele's rolefishing was suspicious; I thought there was more.
There wasn't really that much––reading through the thread, Lele's backpedal came way out of left field imo. All the quotes you posted are from after the backpedal.
*I just realised that there's two ways to read this post - Gekki was telling Lele to stop rolefishing; OR Gekki was telling Lele not respond to your (Jabber's) accusations re: claiming. I read the former.
Yep. The latter makes much more sense given context. Specifically the word "claiming", which is directly related to the discussion I started pursuing Lele. The word hadn't been used before then.
Oh come on. Don't dodge the question. We're talking about you asking scummy questions, not whatever answers you get from asking them.
The stage we're at in the game is not remotely related to Lele's role spec habits. He started off this way when he subbed in last game and by the end had realized that it was not a good way to play the game. Now he's back at it. Why is he back at it? Not because it's RVS. The two aren't correlated.

IIRC from the last game, it's always possible a role could do something upon a person's death. Often times these "On Death" abilities are very powerful. They can also be held by mafia as well.

But let's not speculate too much on that. We want to be scumhunting here and not rolehunting.

OH! You mean the bolded, don't you Jabber? Okay, now I understand exactly where Cel was coming from when he responded to scattered earlier - and I agree with him completely. Why did Gekki have to be the one who warned Lele (if that even happened), as oppose to anyone else? I do see much more substance in the case now, realising Lele's "I'm keen about this role information, but let's not speculate about that too much" backpedal tone.

Yep. The latter makes much more sense given context. Specifically the word "claiming", which is directly related to the discussion I started pursuing Lele. The word hadn't been used before then.
Yeah, this theory just doesn't stand up well for me. For another point, Gekki used the word "claiming" directly after (and as a response to) Lele saying "We still don't know how dangerous claiming is", so it makes more sense to me than Gekki saying something like rolefishing.

On a different note, I'm not getting good vibes from scattered at all. The problem is, I haven't seen enough for him to decipher between what may be just a bad first impression, and an actual lead. He just seems to be going after Lele for all of the wrong reasons. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back