Finished Mafia LI: Senate Subterfuge~Game Over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehm... guys? Are we not gonna talk about this at all?
Luxinity was killed by double o squirtle as a result of him winning Certamen: Senator Accuratus. He was:
@double o squirtle please explain why you decided to target a host confirmed loyalist.

As for the BB case. Im at work rn. So please give me a bit. I hope i can read into it by tonight.
Imma give you a Post count then aswell.

Ok, turns out im an Idiot and didn't read that DoS died too. Oh well im sorry :p

Why didn't this ability trigger doe. Im so confused about the outcome of this.

Passive Ability: Political Base
Though you have many detractors, you also possess quite a few diehard supporters, which you can use in your favor. If you would ever be killed or lynched, one of your supporters will take the hit for you, allowing you to survive the first attempt on your life.

Ok, turns out im an Idiot and didn't read that DoS died too. Oh well im sorry :p

Why didn't this ability trigger doe. Im so confused about the outcome of this.
I think itbtrigger night one. . Dos did say he was saved from being nk on day2 iirc

It did, night one.

Imma give you a Post count then aswell.
I still don't get the point of these. How are you thinking they'll help find scum? You basically post a pie chart representing relative frequencies of posts made by individual players, meaning people like Camo would show up a whole lot more than people like bb completely irrespective of alignment, even though the content of what they post is roughly the same.

@Celever iirc you wanted to know what information I was hoping to get from Lele's lynch? The main thing I was hoping to learn was how screwy the hosts were gonna be, but I also wanted information on bb and scattered. I'm currently leaning scum on bb and town on scattered––it's awkward bc they were both getting kinda backpedally toward the end, but those are my gut feelings regarding them now.
Idk that doesn't seem like as much as you were hyping it up to be.
Jabberwock said:
We also got a sizable amount of information on Samwise––he was one of the first to vote Lele early on, and also had his vote on him at the end. Ik bb also voted Lele early on, but that's the sort of play I wouldn't expect from new scum. So I disagree with your vote on Samwise (and idr the slip either).
Yeah, except they got an entire night phase to discuss strategy, and by discuss strategy one experienced player (probably PMJ or bb) just had to post in the scumchat "throw Lele under the bus this situation is untenable" and Samwise would do just that because he's new. Your argument only works if you think there are no experienced mafians at all and, well, your vote's on bb right now.
Jabberwock said:
Did you ever actually write up that case on bb? PMJ wrote one up, whereas your Samwise case is built off a single scumslip that I don't actually remember. bb's definitely a better lynch today.
Yeah except most of PMJ's "case" isn't alignment-indicative, and what is has long been established as bb's playstyle regardless of faction, like the whole "caring too much about how he appears in his posts" thing bb does as town and scum to edifying degrees, exactly the same with how you don't care how people see your posts Jabs and talk all scary and confident and stuff :L
As expected, the """""case""""" on Samwise is a total crock and a complete fabrication crafted by a panicking scum team because I pegged both Celever and bbninjas as scum and I won't rest until they're both six feet under.
And this is exactly why people should be throwing out your case. You're just pushing on the two most active players because there's the most material there to pretend is scummy when it's not, and that's pretty obvious to everyone else except, apparently, you. It's a very common mafia tactic to target the most active players for exactly this reason, and because once the active players die the inactive ones just coast through to failure without even noticing what's happening. All of your posts reek of this exact tactic, and are primarily why I think Samwise is a better lynch than bb: there are enough connections between the two players which makes me think if bb is mafia then Samwise is too, and so flipping the lynch order and taking out the less active player first to maintain activity in the case that bb does turn out to be town, because then we lose the player who's not contributing quite as much (not that this is a sign you should stop contributing Samwise -- post even more! :p). tl;dr I don't understand why you're so keen to take out the players who are putting in the most work, because it's impossible for you to be as certain of alignments as you purport to be, whereas I can say with confidence that your confidence is misplaced because.... oyeah I aint scum.
PMJ said:
The faction names are in the OP. Celever is reaching so far that he makes Dhalsim jealous.
And do you really think he went back and checked it? There are dozens of ways this flip indicates him being mafia: he will have seen his own faction name there and assumed the other thing must have just been town, or Lele discussed strategy in the scumchat before his post for Samwise to then assume the content of the post instead of actually reading it etc. etc.. To think it's just a mistake is unwise.
PMJ said:
To think that this one line somehow outweighs or is in any way equal to all the evidence I posted against bbninjas is laughable at best.
I mean, your case on bb was really bad. As I put earlier, it's predominantly stuff that's not alignment-indicative, is bb's notorious playstyle where every game everyone thinks he's mafia especially when he's town, or is pretty conspiracy. I think there are things that could indicate the guy as mafia in this thread, but what you put in your case isn't it, and how you have pushed this case makes me suspect you more than I suspect what bb has done, which is why opting for Samwise as the failsafe is a better choice. Again, why do you not want to lynch Samwise? Do you genuinely believe he is town? I've asked this a lot and you haven't responded.
PMJ said:
This is in reference to the part where I said you were deliberately posting wifom. I didn't ask you a question here. I asked you to clarify yourself, and your answer doesn't really answer that question. (I know you have since explained it, but you didn't here which shows you weren't really paying attention.)
So lynch me for not paying attention? Owait no cos that's not alignment indicative: therefore, this point is empty.
PMJ said:
With regards to the wifom in question, it's clear that the intent is to appear to be joking. My point is that you are experienced enough to know that posting such a thing is pure wifom and doesn't actually help anything. It's scummy.
No, I joke around in every game, ever. Look at any past game and you will see me making flippant throw-away joking comments, because this is a party game at the end of the day and the purpose is to have fun. You know this about me -- we've played more than enough together in the past -- and so trying to pass off a playstyle quirk as a scum tactic is not a good case and, ironically enough, is a far better-established mafia tactic than "appearing to be joking".

Plus, joking around isn't WIFOM at all anyway and isn't even scummy. I literally don't understand how you're trying to make it appear that these are mafia tactics; don't take the time to explain it though because I don't really have much patience for listening to you trying to push lynches on the active players because they're active and that will make your life easier. Just accept that this point isn't a real point so we don't derail the thread, because there is a chance you're just a really misguided townie.
PMJ said:
I've been thinking about this and I think you're lying about your phone browser. I think you just wanted an excuse not to be on worst Tapu's wagon.
I think read over past games since I've had this phone and you'll see it's come up then, too. I also think you need to start making points with substance and not baseless speculation of my technological prowess irl, because that's not a real response.
PMJ said:
Also, being assertive is the best. Worrying about how your posts come across to town is a mafian's way of thinking. bb did this, and that's part of why I'm confident in my assertion that bb is scum.
There are quotes from this game where people began suspecting Jabs of being mafia because of his over-assertiveness. Worrying about how your posts come across to town is a mafian's way of thinking -- I agree -- and being over-assertive is one which way in which this manifests itself. You know, the whole "putting up a facade of confidence to hide that you don't wanna get lynched" thing. In fact, ironically, the only time it's justifiable to be as assertive as you have been is if you're just doing it to appear as good as possible to the (other) townies, because the alternative is that you genuinely are this confident in your judgements on Day 3 (though it started on Day 2) of a game that's probably gonna end up on like Day 8 or 9, and the only reason why you could be is if you're in the informed minority, i.e. the mafia, because the town doesn't have enough information right now to be this confident. So either you're doing exactly what you just said is a mafia tactic, or you're genuinely this confident, which demonstrates a greater understanding of the gamestate than the town should have, which would heavily imply you're mafia.
PMJ said:
Posts with cases are usually longer than normal, yes. It's non-alignment indicative because players of both alignments post cases. Already explained why there's nothing wrong with confidence. I haven't even gotten to your posts and already you're practically wearing a sign that says "I am scum" on it. I'll be sure to have it done by the end of day 3 though, because today is bbninjas's day to die and I don't want any extraneous cases jeopardizing that (unless we get more confirmed scum).
This entire paragraph is fluff and bravado. Just wanted to draw attention to it, because most of PMJ's content has been exactly this, too.
PMJ said:
The content of my posts is fine. The only thing flawed is bbninjas's logic in thinking that no one was going to call him out for his blatant buddying. He wasn't even being subtle about it, just did his damnedest to save Tapu Lele's life. (As an aside, I didn't know that bbninjas actually unvoted and wasn't on Tapu Lele's wagon at the end of the day, so I want to correct that part where I said bb still sat firmly on the wagon. It doesn't change anything other than suggest that for some reason bbninjas wanted to prolong the lynching of confirmed scum, gee I wonder what reason that could be.
It's foolish to think that the guy's opinion on one case is enough to "prove" he's mafia or be as confident that he is mafia as you are. In top-tier play Lele would have been left alive as a failsafe later on in the game, and Day 2 would have been used to gather more information. This is the tactic I laid out in-thread and, though I had no expectation that we would pursue that strategy because this is an intensely casual game, it shows that there are tenable reasons why Lele wasn't the best lynch yesterday. So no, stop pushing something in this weird populist fashion you seem to be attempting to coat your points in.
PMJ said:
His role was posted for everyone to see, there's no defense against that.
I never said there was. I said there were better options: not that he's a bad one.

It still doesn't justify people using his act of defence as evidence he is mafia. That reasoning is so poor it's actively trying to change reality, which is when scumminess becomes a factor.
PMJ said:
??? What does this post even mean? It has nothing to do with anything. I made a point-by-point case about why I thought bbninjas was scum, and asked if you sincerely thought otherwise - and you didn't answer that either. You recently said you thought he was mafia back on day one, so what reason did you have to not answer me directly?
I was clearly responding to the first clause of your quote, so stop feigning ignorance and pretending that you think I was trying to respond to your last clause, because that's clearly not true? Literally see the above point: this is so poor it's active trying to change reality.
PMJ said:
This is probably the scummiest thing you have said this whole game. We have two days full of posts, reads, and votes to look back on. The scum could all submit no action and we would still not be in RVS.
Yeah except most of the players in the game have barely posted in that time, so we are basically still in RVS, and we got next to no information from yesterday because of Lele's role being posted totally quashing discussion.
PMJ said:
You should be chomping at the bit to lynch someone you said was mafia, especially because I won't budge for your hokey-ass case on Samwise, and double especially because I know you'll be salivating at the idea of stringing me up if he flips town. (He won't, so I'm not worried in the slightest.)
Oh, well if you, the alimghty PMJ, won't budge from your case I guess I'd better just totally change my opinions cheers oracle appreciate it xo. Oh, wait, no maybe I don't have to just follow what you say? I think bb could be mafia, but it seems unlikely that both you and him are and so because you've come in and have acted like mafia 101 it's now making me doubt my original read on bb where I thought he was mafia. Which probably wasn't the intention of your case, but it's the outcome so nice job there. Now that you've presented yourself as an equivalently plausible mafian with bb and distanced yourself from his so absolutely, we now actually have to look into extraneous cases, because we don't have enough information on either one of you to be able to confidently lynch one of you over the other, and losing both of you would be a great detriment because one of you must be town.

Here's the glaring problem with PMJ's case: it's underpinned by WIFOM - he spins my posts in the worst possible way. This is the result of PMJ beginning with the assumption that I'm mafian from the very start, instead of coming to that conclusion as a byproduct of reading my posts. (I'll point these out below.) This never works because all you get is a massive bias - and for those interested, this is why its said that vets can make anyone look scummy.

Secondly, the case is misinformed. The situation, context or even what I specifically wrote has been overlooked, and points do not make sense when all things are accurately considered.

Tapu Lele made a huge blunder by blatantly role fishing, so bbninjas goes into damage control mode...
Right from the bat, we see the underpinning WIFOM. What evidence is there to say that I'm "damage controling"? Why is me being innocent, and just posting my thoughts on the matter because thats what I do, not being considered here at all?

... but bbninjas role fishes here like a pro in the same exact post. Note that he goes into damage control before anyone even calls him out - gotta make sure you look town 100% of the time.
Here we have a few problems. Again, why do you say that I'm "looking" like town? Why is me actually being town left unconsidered? (More assuming the worst possible motive.) Secondly, why is justifying my question a problem? I was answering the inevitable, since I knew my question could be scummy, although I believed it to be a question necessary. To see this as scummy, you would also have to find my justification bonkers, or disagree at the very least, which would be rather odd in itself.

bbninjas grills jplap for asking T_E about his certamen reward, conveniently forgetting he did the same thing earlier that day.
Is there a problem with asking someone for their motive? I was not "conveniently forgetting" (exaggerated language - another example of spinnging what I say). I knew my motive, but I was interested as to what Jplap might say his to be.

More damage control. He is defending Tapu Lele hard.
I do not see this post's relevance, how I was apparently damage controlling, and how I was defending Tapu (I didn't give any defences, after all) - let alone how I defended hard.

Emphasis mine; this is bbninjas's first post in day two, after Tapu Lele was revealed to be scum. Note again how bbninjas is trying hard to make himself appear town by answering questions no one has asked yet and defending himself against accusations no one has levied against him. It's a massively scummy way of thinking and he has gone out of his way to discredit the idea that Tapu Lele is scum.
Again, preempting questions is not problematic, let alone massively scummy. I would have been skeptical of anyone who might try and use hindsight to blame someone like Celever for T_E's mislynch (over Lele, a revealed mafian), and I wanted to clear up that this is not want I'm trying to do immediately.

His vote for Tapu Lele is a formality at this point because he knows there's realistically no way Tapu Lele is getting out of today alive, so he votes just so he can say that he was one of the first people on the wagon.
Again, PMJ assumes the worst of the situation. My motive being 'a formality' is the picture that makes most sense in this case, and so he pushes for this line.

There is no way this exchange between Tapu Lele and bbninjas wasn't orchestrated in the scum chat beforehand.
Surprise: PMJ assumes the worst in the situation. In fact, PMJ knows and used to lament that no one used their scumchat to plan things - so the fact that he suggests that was happening on WIFOM is a very odd.

This is WIFOM of the highest and most sacred order and you know it. That said, I also have to thank you for confirming Celever is your scum partner here. How do I know this? Because you're going out of your way to explain yourself to dos, who doesn't need you to explain basic mafia strategy to him. He's been in plenty of games and hosted at least once.
Yeah, and I was using some WIFOM (less WIFOMy than some of the conclusions you've pulled in this case!) to show Dos that the FoS doesn't quite make sense, and that's why I wanted to some elaboration. Not scummy.

Emphasis mine. bb asks Tapu Lele who should be lynched, if not him, despite thinking he should "absolutely and definitely be lynched at this point."
Sorry, what's the problem? The whole discussion around Lele wasn't actually going anywhere, and so I was gathering information that would be potentially helpful for future reads when Lele flipped.

Uh oh, deadline's approaching and everyone still wants Tapu Lele dead. bbninjas then lists off reason after reason to doubt Tapu Lele's lynch (but remains firmly seated on his wagon so he won't look like he was buddying too hard), even going so far as to suggest that NP and Vracken are bastard mods because that is the last flimsy line of defense the scum team has at this point.
a) Are you seriously suggesting that I listed off reasons to doubt Lele's flip, expecting people to change their vote? Because if I did not expect people to flip, I would not stick my neck out there to defend Lele, as you suggest I was. b) The previous couple of pages were talking about whether or not Lele would flip town or mafian. I gave reasons as to why Lele might flip town, since I thought the bastard mod talk was a bit silly. c) Never did I say that we should doubt Tapu Lele's lynch. d) Never did I say that NP and Vracken are bastard mods.

Unfortunately "bbn is a mafian trying to look like town, so he is mafian" is a terrible WIFOM argument.

---

I don't have much time left right now so that's all I can respond to. I did see that Jabber wanted me too post my reads, although I'm afraid that I don't really have any since I'm not too invested right now (although if you'd like me to post them I can, but they're all flippin' flippy gut reads so yeah). :/

I didn't assume you were scum from the start. Your posts made you out to be scum and I explained how I reached that conclusion.

I don't have time to rebut you two more thoroughly, I'm still on the clock.

Here's the glaring problem with PMJ's case: it's underpinned by WIFOM - he spins my posts in the worst possible way. This is the result of PMJ beginning with the assumption that I'm mafian from the very start, instead of coming to that conclusion as a byproduct of reading my posts. (I'll point these out below.) This never works because all you get is a massive bias - and for those interested, this is why its said that vets can make anyone look scummy.

Secondly, the case is misinformed. The situation, context or even what I specifically wrote has been overlooked, and points do not make sense when all things are accurately considered.

Right from the bat, we see the underpinning WIFOM. What evidence is there to say that I'm "damage controling"? Why is me being innocent, and just posting my thoughts on the matter because thats what I do, not being considered here at all?

Here we have a few problems. Again, why do you say that I'm "looking" like town? Why is me actually being town left unconsidered? (More assuming the worst possible motive.) Secondly, why is justifying my question a problem? I was answering the inevitable, since I knew my question could be scummy, although I believed it to be a question necessary. To see this as scummy, you would also have to find my justification bonkers, or disagree at the very least, which would be rather odd in itself.

Is there a problem with asking someone for their motive? I was not "conveniently forgetting" (exaggerated language - another example of spinnging what I say). I knew my motive, but I was interested as to what Jplap might say his to be.

I do not see this post's relevance, how I was apparently damage controlling, and how I was defending Tapu (I didn't give any defences, after all) - let alone how I defended hard.

Again, preempting questions is not problematic, let alone massively scummy. I would have been skeptical of anyone who might try and use hindsight to blame someone like Celever for T_E's mislynch (over Lele, a revealed mafian), and I wanted to clear up that this is not want I'm trying to do immediately.

Again, PMJ assumes the worst of the situation. My motive being 'a formality' is the picture that makes most sense in this case, and so he pushes for this line.

Surprise: PMJ assumes the worst in the situation. In fact, PMJ knows and used to lament that no one used their scumchat to plan things - so the fact that he suggests that was happening on WIFOM is a very odd.

Yeah, and I was using some WIFOM (less WIFOMy than some of the conclusions you've pulled in this case!) to show Dos that the FoS doesn't quite make sense, and that's why I wanted to some elaboration. Not scummy.

Sorry, what's the problem? The whole discussion around Lele wasn't actually going anywhere, and so I was gathering information that would be potentially helpful for future reads when Lele flipped.

a) Are you seriously suggesting that I listed off reasons to doubt Lele's flip, expecting people to change their vote? Because if I did not expect people to flip, I would not stick my neck out there to defend Lele, as you suggest I was. b) The previous couple of pages were talking about whether or not Lele would flip town or mafian. I gave reasons as to why Lele might flip town, since I thought the bastard mod talk was a bit silly. c) Never did I say that we should doubt Tapu Lele's lynch. d) Never did I say that NP and Vracken are bastard mods.

Unfortunately "bbn is a mafian trying to look like town, so he is mafian" is a terrible WIFOM argument.

---

I don't have much time left right now so that's all I can respond to. I did see that Jabber wanted me too post my reads, although I'm afraid that I don't really have any since I'm not too invested right now (although if you'd like me to post them I can, but they're all flippin' flippy gut reads so yeah). :/

The whole behaviour of PMJ is odd to me. He is going out of his way to lynch bb over something that I can't see: bb trying to defend Lele. If anything it was Celever. Scum bbninjas would be busy writing cases on people. This bbninjas is more like trying to gather all the pieces to find what is going on. Also, bbninjas could not know lele was scum before the flip.

Also, I feel like the main weapon everyone is using in this game is WIFOM. And I think it goes to show how truly clueless we are in this stage of the game right now. We need to do some back work here because I personally do not get any more info on bb or Celever than I already have, and these full-page sized posts about each one back and forth do not help at all.

I'm gonna ##vote:luispipe for now, because he is just one of the many players flying under the rader + veteran + used to talk more

NEW INFO, that's what I want for now, and what I think we all should try and get.

@Celever - build a proper case on Sam. And also relate to the important point he brought about having that scumslip against a scum (lele).

@mordacazir - Some input from you would be great - you have improved greatly in recent games, but now all of a sudden you are staying in the back.

Also, I feel like the main weapon everyone is using in this game is WIFOM. And I think it goes to show how truly clueless we are in this stage of the game right now.
This is what I mean by us still basically being in RVS. Literally every case that has been made so far involves WIFOM (except mine, because WIFOM is a shoddy scumtell at the best of times) and WIFOM is the equivalent to grasping at straws because of lack of information.
scattered said:
@Celever - build a proper case on Sam. And also relate to the important point he brought about having that scumslip against a scum (lele).
If I find time, which is unlikely. Everything that needs to be said has been, though. He's mainly an information lynch.

Stop using meta to justify or discredit behavior. It's ridiculous.

If I find time, which is unlikely. Everything that needs to be said has been, though. He's mainly an information lynch.

I can't find the thing you said about his post saying that his supposed scumslip was against a confirmed scum.

Then what meta reads should be used for?
Nothing. Meta reads are worthless because people can and do alter the way they play. It doesn't take much as scum to make a conscious effort to mimic the way you play as town.

Nothing. Meta reads are worthless because people can and do alter the way they play. It doesn't take much as scum to make a conscious effort to mimic the way you play as town.
Meta-reads are crucial to mafia because otherwise you try and fit everyone into one of two moulds, and that doesn't work at all.

Meta reads helped me catch scums more than once. You never used meta reads?
Anyhow, I didn’t just use meta read on bbninjas. I wrote other things about why your case is not convincing.

I'm sure you did, but I could not reply in detail. Now that I'm home, I can go back and properly respond to the three of you.

It'll be a while. There's a lot of garbage to sift through.

Vote Count 1
bbninjas (2): PMJ, Jabberwock
@GekkisaiDaiNi (2): Acetainer_Samwise
Acetrainer_Samwise (1): Celever
Luispipe8 (1): scattered mind

Abstaining:
@mordacazir, Professor_jplap, GekkisaiDaiNi, @Jadethepokemontrainer, GM Draclord, @Luispipe8, @TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK, bbninjas, mirdo, @Yog, @OshaCraft360

Players yet to post today have been tagged, along with the player who would be lynched if the day ended right now (GekkisaiDaiNi).

100Certamen: Venator Celebrus

There’s a wild boar on the loose! There’s only one thing we can do, and that’s hunt it down. Now, we need your help. Everybody will search the city for the boar, but there’s one issue: the boar will do it’s best to avoid people when possible. This means that the location selected the least by you will be where the boar goes.
Every 24 hours, there will be options for where to find the boar. Only the players who selected the least popular location (which will be selected by PMing is ##PICK: Location) will move on to the next round. When there is only 1 or 2 players remaining, they will be chosen as the winners.
Each winner will get to create a neighborhood chat with two other players of their choice. There, you will be able to talk about the game as much as you want.

Your first locations are:
-Baths
-Curia
-Forum
-Templum
-Walls

You are not allowed to communicate about this certamen in-thread or in any chats.
Everybody will get to participate in this certamen, but must submit answers in time for every phase or else will be eliminated from this certamen.

Idk that doesn't seem like as much as you were hyping it up to be.
There's also a whole mess of minor stuff that we can get off VCA'ing the first Day or so's worth of posts; it's just that it's too tenuous on its own to rely on. The main information I wanted was in reference to bb and scattered.

Yeah, except they got an entire night phase to discuss strategy, and by discuss strategy one experienced player (probably PMJ or bb) just had to post in the scumchat "throw Lele under the bus this situation is untenable" and Samwise would do just that because he's new. Your argument only works if you think there are no experienced mafians at all and, well, your vote's on bb right now.
I'm not trying to make an argument that Samwise is town rn; just that your points on him aren't as unequivocal as you're making them out to be. Even the rebuttal you post here is WIFOM.

Yeah except most of PMJ's "case" isn't alignment-indicative, and what is has long been established as bb's playstyle regardless of faction, like the whole "caring too much about how he appears in his posts" thing bb does as town and scum to edifying degrees, exactly the same with how you don't care how people see your posts Jabs and talk all scary and confident and stuff :L
This isn't the point of the part of my post you quoted, but fortunately you indirectly answered it later. I don't remember bb being super self-aware as town in the past –– maybe because he's just scum so damn often –– but if you (or bb) can find references for his townmeta that'd be awesome.

There are quotes from this game where people began suspecting Jabs of being mafia because of his over-assertiveness. Worrying about how your posts come across to town is a mafian's way of thinking -- I agree -- and being over-assertive is one which way in which this manifests itself. You know, the whole "putting up a facade of confidence to hide that you don't wanna get lynched" thing. In fact, ironically, the only time it's justifiable to be as assertive as you have been is if you're just doing it to appear as good as possible to the (other) townies, because the alternative is that you genuinely are this confident in your judgements on Day 3 (though it started on Day 2) of a game that's probably gonna end up on like Day 8 or 9, and the only reason why you could be is if you're in the informed minority, i.e. the mafia, because the town doesn't have enough information right now to be this confident. So either you're doing exactly what you just said is a mafia tactic, or you're genuinely this confident, which demonstrates a greater understanding of the gamestate than the town should have, which would heavily imply you're mafia.
Assertiveness (or lack thereof) is not indicative of alignment on its own. It's just part of a player's meta. Camoclone is the obvious example.

Oh, well if you, the alimghty PMJ, won't budge from your case I guess I'd better just totally change my opinions cheers oracle appreciate it xo. Oh, wait, no maybe I don't have to just follow what you say? I think bb could be mafia, but it seems unlikely that both you and him are and so because you've come in and have acted like mafia 101 it's now making me doubt my original read on bb where I thought he was mafia. Which probably wasn't the intention of your case, but it's the outcome so nice job there. Now that you've presented yourself as an equivalently plausible mafian with bb and distanced yourself from his so absolutely, we now actually have to look into extraneous cases, because we don't have enough information on either one of you to be able to confidently lynch one of you over the other, and losing both of you would be a great detriment because one of you must be town.
I'd genuinely really like to see that case on bb you were going to draw up. It feels like you're trying to backpedal off his lynch, which makes no sense if you weren't his scumbuddy because you landed your vote on Samwise before you started having this problem with how PMJ's been playing –– which, you've mentioned, is what's causing you to doubt bb's lynch.

I'll take literally anything from you at this point. You haven't committed to anything of your own volition since like Day 1.

The whole behaviour of PMJ is odd to me. He is going out of his way to lynch bb over something that I can't see: bb trying to defend Lele. If anything it was Celever. Scum bbninjas would be busy writing cases on people. This bbninjas is more like trying to gather all the pieces to find what is going on. Also, bbninjas could not know lele was scum before the flip.
Toward the end of Day 2, bb started flipping around a fair bit (is still doing so, as per the above paragraph) when Lele's own posts were starting to get very townie in appearance. He wasn't voting Lele at the end of the Day, and even now (again, per the above paragraph) is finding it difficult to find anything to commit to.

I also don't agree with that analysis of bb's meta. Like what I said to Cel above, d'you reckon you could find reference points for his meta?

I thought he was definitely scum because he slipped way back at the beginning of D2.

Stop using meta to justify or discredit behavior. It's ridiculous.
This post is ridiculous lol.

I passed out at my keyboard, sorry. This took for-goddamn-ever.

Splitting my responses to make them easier to follow.

Response to Celever

Yeah except most of PMJ's "case" isn't alignment-indicative and what is has long been established as bb's playstyle regardless of faction, like the whole "caring too much about how he appears in his posts" thing bb does as town and scum to edifying degrees

bbninjas has had a scum's mindset this whole game. Letting him off the hook because he does the same thing as both town and scum gives him carte blanche to act as scummy as he wants and not get punished for it. This is why I can't stand meta reads.

And this is exactly why people should be throwing out your case. You're just pushing on the two most active players because there's the most material there to pretend is scummy when it's not, and that's pretty obvious to everyone else except, apparently, you.

bb got on my radar when I saw how much he was trying to save Tapu Lele's life after he was revealed to be scum. When I first said you were scum, I was taking a page out of the ol' Camo playbook and gauging how you'd react. This quote is what got me looking harder at you:

Why do you think there should be FoS on Cel if or because Lele flips scum? What about defending a mafian Lele actually indicates that Celever is a scumbuddy? In this situation, when its been publicly revealed that a scumbuddy is a mafian, scumbuddies generally won't defend them and try get someone lynched - most mafians would just cut their losses and go along with it.

Here, bb is trying to cover his bases by making sure that when Tapu Lele inevitably flips scum, that it can't be plausibly tied back to you. There's really no reason to care about who dos or anyone else FoSes otherwise. bb offers a wifom explanation about how scum typically react in a given situation, but it's completely unnecessary because dos doesn't need it. He isn't new.

It's a very common mafia tactic to target the most active players for exactly this reason, and because once the active players die the inactive ones just coast through to failure without even noticing what's happening.

You're suggesting here that I ignore the content of his posts simply because he has made a lot of them, and we're still relatively early in the game.

On the contrary, him posting frequently has allowed me to make my case against him stronger because it gives me more posts to make examples of.

Activity, or the lack of it, should never be used as a reason to stay someone's lynch. You're throwing a good lynch away because you're afraid of what might happen. Well, guess what, it might not happen too. And in the event it does, then I guess it does. At least I can say I tried.

All of your posts reek of this exact tactic,

No shit? Considering the majority of my activity in the game has been trying to get bbninjas lynched, it should go without saying that I have been targeting the most active players (assuming that's true - where's that pie chart when you need it?).

and are primarily why I think Samwise is a better lynch than bb:

But you didn't mention that when you cast your vote. You said it was due to the alleged slip as well as his vote on gek.

there are enough connections between the two players which makes me think if bb is mafia then Samwise is too,

You didn't mention this either. You claim there are enough connections between Samwise and bb to suggest they're both scum; specifically, what are they? Lay them out and actually make your case.

and so flipping the lynch order and taking out the less active player first to maintain activity in the case that bb does turn out to be town, because then we lose the player who's not contributing quite as much (not that this is a sign you should stop contributing Samwise -- post even more! :p).

You just said above that you believe both Samwise and bb are scum. If that's the case, why would you want the more active one to remain alive? If you truly think bb is scum, then nothing he says can be trusted completely and there is no reason to want him in the game any further.

tl;dr I don't understand why you're so keen to take out the players who are putting in the most work, because it's impossible for you to be as certain of alignments as you purport to be, whereas I can say with confidence that your confidence is misplaced because.... oyeah I aint scum.

I am keen to take out bbninjas because I believe he is scum. You I care less about (but I still want you dead, make no mistake). It's true that with greater activity, it would be easier to draw conclusions on other players' alignments more easily, but thanks to bb defending Tapu Lele so hard, he made it very easy to make the connection.

And do you really think he went back and checked it?
It doesn't matter if he did or didn't check it, the fact is that the information is there, so there is no way to definitively say one way or the other what his thought process was.

There are dozens of ways this flip indicates him being mafia: he will have seen his own faction name there and assumed the other thing must have just been town, or Lele discussed strategy in the scumchat before his post for Samwise to then assume the content of the post instead of actually reading it etc. etc.. To think it's just a mistake is unwise.

If Samwise saw his faction name was Triumverate there is no reason for him to think that it meant town.

I mean, your case on bb was really bad. As I put earlier, it's predominantly stuff that's not alignment-indicative, is bb's notorious playstyle where every game everyone thinks he's mafia especially when he's town, or is pretty conspiracy.

zzzz meta reads, argument discarded

I think there are things that could indicate the guy as mafia in this thread, but what you put in your case isn't it, and how you have pushed this case makes me suspect you more than I suspect what bb has done, which is why opting for Samwise as the failsafe is a better choice.

Okay. What? You agree bb is scum, you have made that clear. Just not for the reasons I've stated. There are other things that suggest bb is scum, but you choose not to reveal them. Never mind that, you now suspect me of being scum because I have been pushing the lynch of someone you think is scum, even if it's for reasons you disagree with. But never mind that too, because Samwise is still the better lynch.

Please make sense.

Again, why do you not want to lynch Samwise? Do you genuinely believe he is town? I've asked this a lot and you haven't responded.

I never said anything about lynching Samwise. I asked you if you thought bb was innocent, and you said no, so I asked why your vote was on Samwise instead of someone who you also thought was scum and someone I already built a case on. That doesn't mean I don't want him lynched. To be honest I have not looked at any of his posts outside of trying to find the one you said he slipped in, so I can't say one way or the other right now.

You have also never asked me my thoughts on Samwise's alignment. (If you did, please point out those posts.) But yeah, I think he's town.

So lynch me for not paying attention? Owait no cos that's not alignment indicative: therefore, this point is empty.
Wasn't meant to be definitive evidence against you, just saying you dropped the ball here.

No, I joke around in every game, ever. Look at any past game and you will see me making flippant throw-away joking comments, because this is a party game at the end of the day and the purpose is to have fun.

The purpose is also to win. Anything to win, right? ;)

You know this about me -- we've played more than enough together in the past -- and so trying to pass off a playstyle quirk as a scum tactic is not a good case and, ironically enough, is a far better-established mafia tactic than "appearing to be joking".

Plus, joking around isn't WIFOM at all anyway and isn't even scummy. I literally don't understand how you're trying to make it appear that these are mafia tactics;

This statement:

if I die today (which let's be real, one of me bb or Jabs are the likeliest nightkill targets (unless all 3 of us are mafia :UUUU)) then please pursue those two tomorrow, as I think one of or both of them are mafia, whether Lele flips town or nah.

Didn't like it. There is no point in speculating who is getting night killed. Saying you are one of the likeliest targets is textbook wifom. You could have still asked people to look into Samwise or scattered without posting anything about the night kill. You also could have made a case on either of them, which would have helped if you actually did die during the night and flipped town.

don't take the time to explain it though because I don't really have much patience for listening to you trying to push lynches on the active players because they're active and that will make your life easier. Just accept that this point isn't a real point so we don't derail the thread, because there is a chance you're just a really misguided townie.

I's powerful sorry, massa Celever, for posting about stuff I found sketchy. I sure won't do it again, boss, please don't lynch this poor misguided townie! I'll be sure to ask permission the next time I want to post my thoughts.

Also I am not lynching bbninjas because he is active, that has never been the case.

I think read over past games since I've had this phone and you'll see it's come up then, too. I also think you need to start making points with substance and not baseless speculation of my technological prowess irl, because that's not a real response.

I already said it's not something I can prove or disprove, so it's a moot point. I brought it up simply because it seems awfully convenient. It's weak, circumstantial evidence at best. Good thing that's not the only thing that makes you the scum of the earth.

There are quotes from this game where people began suspecting Jabs of being mafia because of his over-assertiveness.

Please quote them. I tried looking and couldn't find anything supporting this.

Worrying about how your posts come across to town is a mafian's way of thinking -- I agree -- and being over-assertive is one which way in which this manifests itself. You know, the whole "putting up a facade of confidence to hide that you don't wanna get lynched" thing.

There is no facade here, I am 100% confident that bbninjas is scum. And of course I don't wanna get lynched. No one wants to get lynched.

In fact, ironically, the only time it's justifiable to be as assertive as you have been is if you're just doing it to appear as good as possible to the (other) townies, because the alternative is that you genuinely are this confident in your judgements on Day 3 (though it started on Day 2) of a game that's probably gonna end up on like Day 8 or 9, and the only reason why you could be is if you're in the informed minority, i.e. the mafia, because the town doesn't have enough information right now to be this confident. So either you're doing exactly what you just said is a mafia tactic, or you're genuinely this confident, which demonstrates a greater understanding of the gamestate than the town should have, which would heavily imply you're mafia.

The town has enough information to lynch bb because he went all in on defending Tapu Lele and trying to keep him alive. Now that he's dead and confirmed scum like we thought, it reflects very poorly on him as someone trying to save his teammate from getting boned by a random ability and not from honest scumhunting. I'm not interested in giving someone I think is scum a chance to weasel his way out of a lynch.

This entire paragraph is fluff and bravado. Just wanted to draw attention to it, because most of PMJ's content has been exactly this, too.
Bravado, maybe. Fluff, not at all, the first part of it was in response to your own question.

It's foolish to think that the guy's opinion on one case is enough to "prove" he's mafia or be as confident that he is mafia as you are. In top-tier play Lele would have been left alive as a failsafe later on in the game, and Day 2 would have been used to gather more information. This is the tactic I laid out in-thread and, though I had no expectation that we would pursue that strategy because this is an intensely casual game, it shows that there are tenable reasons why Lele wasn't the best lynch yesterday. So no, stop pushing something in this weird populist fashion you seem to be attempting to coat your points in.

A failsafe? Against what? There is no reason to leave confirmed scum alive. Literally the only thing they can do is cause trouble for the town with their words and whatever night actions they may have. Also, there is nothing wrong with trying to get people to vote for the person I want lynched.

I never said there was. I said there were better options: not that he's a bad one.

It still doesn't justify people using his act of defence as evidence he is mafia. That reasoning is so poor it's actively trying to change reality, which is when scumminess becomes a factor.

I'm pretty sure people were using the fact that he was outed as scum as evidence more than whatever lies he conjured up to defend himself.

I was clearly responding to the first clause of your quote, so stop feigning ignorance and pretending that you think I was trying to respond to your last clause, because that's clearly not true? Literally see the above point: this is so poor it's active trying to change reality.

You're right. No sarcasm here, I honestly misunderstood your post and I have no idea why I missed the connection. With that said, you still avoided the question I asked. Why, if you thought bbninjas was scum on day one, would you not answer me directly the first time I asked you about it?

Yeah except most of the players in the game have barely posted in that time, so we are basically still in RVS, and we got next to no information from yesterday because of Lele's role being posted totally quashing discussion.

We got loads of information. Tapu Lele made sure of that. But it's easy to claim there's nothing to see when it's another one of your scum buddies on the chopping block.

We have plenty of information on bbninjas - everything he posted during day two and his interactions with Tapu Lele are worth looking into. Me, sure, because all I've done is try to push bb's lynch. This is just you trying to find an excuse to push the focus off of bb. Talk about mafia 101.

ps the townie is me pls no lynch

Meta-reads are crucial to mafia because otherwise you try and fit everyone into one of two moulds, and that doesn't work at all.
And what do you do when players actively play against their own meta? Congrats, you lost because the last scum was the guy who you had pegged as hard town because he played his town meta. Darn, that guy tried to switch up his playstyle and got lynched because it differed from how he played last time as town.

Meta reads are 100% garbage and can't be trusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back