• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M Tyranitar EX / Golbat

archangeljuicy

Aspiring Trainer
I'm here with one of the new decks that people have been talking about and made a rough draft so far since I'm in the process of building it. i've been looking through other posts on this deck and none quite appeal to me, so I came up with a deck list myself. After looking it over once I put the list together I saw some key cards not in it and don't know what to change. I know that I am over with 2-3 cards. As of yesterday it was announced that in the next set break evolution set that there is going to be a reprint of float stone. I would just like to have a spot in there for later use when it becomes playable again.

Pokemon: 17

• 3 Tyranitar EX
  • 3 M Tyranitar EX
  • 3 Yveltal XY
  • 4 Zubat PHF
  • 4 Golbat PHF
Trainers/Stadiums/Supporters: 33
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observations / Shauna
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 4 Mega Turbo
  • 4 Tyranitar Spirit Link
  • 2 Shadow Circle
  • 1 Silent Lab
  • 4 Weakness Policy
  • 4 Hard Charm
Energy: 12
  • 8 Darkness Energy
  • 4 DCE
Strategy:

the strategy is to use yveltal in conjunction with mega turbo to take dark energy out of the discard pile and build up mega tyranitar. Also to drop that 30n damage onto the opponent to use mega tyranitar's attack effect. bats are there to put the consistent damage on the opponentt for tyranitar.

I think I did the damage calculation from bats and tyranitar- 20(golbat) + 110 + 60 effect + 60 effect=250 total damage in 1 turn

When I first saw a translation for M Tyranitar EX, I too decided to build a deck and test it. For the last 3 weeks, I only used proxies, but; thus far, I've found the deck to be quite impressive.

Following are some thoughts/comments based upon my experience thus far:

• 4 Golbats are excessive; I've found 3 to be quite sufficient.
  • Incorporating an Yveltal EX also provides some Weakness diversity, as well as utilize another very strong attacker that can inflict significant damage for less energy than Ttar.
  • The 6 total card-draw Supporters are woefully insufficient, especially since you no auxiliary card draw via a Pokémon (.eg., Shaymin EX).
  • No VS Seekers???
  • With Yveltal providing some energy attachment acceleration, there is not a strong need for Mega Turbos, IMO.
  • 4 Spirit Links are excessive, IMO, in light of other needs.
  • Shadow Circle and Weakness Policy overlap. However, if you are ever Item-locked, you can't play the Weakness Policy Item; whereas, an opponent can not easily stop you from playing a Stadium. Also, you'll most likely need to counter opponents' Stadiums (especially Color-Drained City).
  • 4 Hard Charms seem excessive, can be Startling Megaphone'd/Xerosic away, and/or Item-locked out.
Following are some suggested deck changes for your consideration:

-1 Golbat
+1 Yveltal EX

-4 Mega Turbo
-2 Spirit Link
-4 Weakness Policy
-2 Hard Charm

+1 Professor Sycamore - more card-draw support
+1 Professor Birch's Observations / Shauna - more card-draw support
+2 Shadow Circle
+3 VS Seeker
+1 Pokémon Fan Club - to help setup your bench
+1 Trainer's Mail - Trainer search support - - or - - Switch
+1 Battle Compressor - to help dump D energy and/or Supporter into your discard pile for later recovery

Only 10 Trainers cards were suggested replacements since your current list is over by 2 (assuming you'll want to keep the Pokémon and energy counts as-is).

Personally, I'd also replace the remaining 2 Hard Charms with 1 Professor's Letter and 1 Pokémon Center Lady / AZ (for healing, prizes denial or Golbat recovery that can be placed down on another open Zubat)

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Last edited:
TuxedoBlack, Is there any chance you could post your deck list. Im interested in building this deck myself and you seem have a few good suggestions. Im quite new to deck building so i try and see a few different deck builds before rushing in and buying everything. Thanks in advance.

TuxedoBlack, Is there any chance you could post your deck list. Im interested in building this deck myself and you seem have a few good suggestions. Im quite new to deck building so i try and see a few different deck builds before rushing in and buying everything. Thanks in advance.
@Aaron Greetings. Following is my current deck version that I'm still testing:

3 Golbat
3 M Tyranitar EX
3 Tyranitar EX
3 Yveltal
1 Yveltal EX
4 Zubat
-- 17 --

1 AZ
3 Level Ball
2 Lysandre
3 Proffessor Birch's Observations
4 Professor Sycamore
1 Professor's Letter
4 Shadow Circle
2 Shauna
2 Switch
2 Tyranitar Spirit Link
1 Trainer's Mail
3 Ultra Ball
3 VS Seeker
-- 31 --

8 Dark
4 Double Colorless
-- 12 --

How come nobody seems to run Crobat too?

Just unnecessary. Putting one damage counter on something is a kill for any EX that's not Wailord.

3 Golbat
3 M Tyranitar EX
3 Tyranitar EX
3 Yveltal
1 Yveltal EX
4 Zubat
-- 17 --

1 AZ
3 Level Ball
2 Lysandre
4 Professor Sycamore
1 Professor's Letter
4 Shadow Circle
2 Shauna
2 Switch
2 Tyranitar Spirit Link
1 Trainer's Mail
3 Ultra Ball
3 VS Seeker
-- 31 --

8 Dark
4 Double Colorless
-- 12 --
Are you going Shauna here because N drops out of the format? I think Birch is just a bad card in general, adds an unnecessary element of chance. I'd much rather have Skates, and Bicycle/ Acro so I don't waste my supporters.

Crobat is unnecessary, you already deal enough damage with just 2 damage counters and Crobat is unsearchable with level ball
Crobat could be useful if you need to place damage counters and you already have Golbats left, but the space can be better used.

How come nobody seems to run Crobat too?
In my early deck testing phase, I found that Crobat really wasn't necessary. The 2 damage counters (or even the spread damage when I attacked with Golbat) that Golbat drops was quite sufficient in setting up the subsequent 1HKOs later.

Are you going Shauna here because N drops out of the format? I think Birch is just a bad card in general, adds an unnecessary element of chance. I'd much rather have Skates, and Bicycle/ Acro so I don't waste my supporters.
Actually, I've replaced the 4 Ns with 4 Professor Birch's Observations in my Standard-format decks. Colress was replaced with Shauna. I may re-balance the PBOs and Shaunas to a 3/3 count after more testing though.

Roller Skates, assuming you are not Item-locked (there are now 3 ways an opponent can do this now), only has a 50% chance of success; I'd rather play a Supporter and have the 100% chance of success.

Instead of Acro Bike, I prefer to run Trainer's Mail; won't need to discard anything and can look at the top 4 cards.

Last edited:
In my early deck testing phase, I found that Crobat really wasn't necessary. The 2 damage counters (or even the spread damage when I attacked with Golbat) that Golbat drops was quite sufficient in setting up the subsequent 1HKOs later.

Actually, I've replaced the 4 Ns with 4 Professor Birch's Observations in my Standard-format decks. Colress was replaced with Shauna. I may re-balance the PBOs and Shaunas to a 3/3 count after more testing though.

Roller Skates, assuming you are not Item-locked (there are now 3 ways an opponent can do this now), only has a 50% chance of success; I'd rather play a Supporter and have the 100% chance of success.

Instead of Acro Bike, I prefer to run Trainer's Mail; won't need to discard anything and can look at the top 4 cards.

Item Locks are probably the worst part of the current meta. I guess it's a matter of preference, but I hate to put all my draw support on cards I can only use once per turn. I like a mix of both. Also if you use Mega Turbo and similar cards tossing cards can be pretty helpful.

3 Golbat
3 M Tyranitar EX
3 Tyranitar EX
3 Yveltal
1 Yveltal EX
4 Zubat
-- 17 --

1 AZ
3 Level Ball
2 Lysandre
4 Professor Sycamore
1 Professor's Letter
4 Shadow Circle
2 Shauna
2 Switch
2 Tyranitar Spirit Link
1 Trainer's Mail
3 Ultra Ball
3 VS Seeker
-- 31 --

8 Dark
4 Double Colorless
-- 12 --

how can u face item lock without hex maniac?

how can u face item lock without hex maniac?
Item-lock does not affect Golbat's Sneaky Bite Ability. Besides, Hex Maniac is only effective for 1 turn; so its effect is very temporary and I choose not to play it. Even if my Bat's Ability is temporarily suspended via my opponent's play of Hex Maniac, if need be, I will attack with Golbat spreading the necessary damage to setup my Ttar.

Back