M Sceptile-EX Variants

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on M Sceptile-EX variants in the Standard format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Articles:
New Kids on the Block: Decks form Ancient Origins
XY-On in Gotham City – Batman and Poison Ivy

M Sceptile-EX / Techs Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 12
  • 3 M Sceptile-EX (AOR 8)
  • 4 Sceptile-EX (AOR 7)
  • 2 Shaymin-EX (ROS 77)
  • 1 Hoopa-EX (AOR 36)
  • 1 Ariados (AOR 6)
  • 1 Spinarak (AOR 5)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 26
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Professor Birch's Observation
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Sceptile Spirit Link
  • 3 Switch
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 3 Forest of the Giant Plants
Energy: 11
  • 11 Grass Energy

Open Spots: 11

Last edited by a moderator:
What are some good additions to this deck to fill out the 11 open slots? Shaymin EX is the obvious choice as it seems to fit in everything, but i've also seen discussions of Malamar EX to abuse his ability to put things to sleep. As well as this I've seen talk of Lugia EX or Hoopa EX as secondary attackers if your Sceptile plan isn't working. I'm really looking forward to trying this deck out in Standard, especially on TCGO as Water decks are a massive problem at the moment.

I've found the above to be a decent base: Malamar puts in a lot of work if it goes unchecked. It's rare that I agree 100% with Donald's trainer choices (my burning hatred of Skates is without bounds, I swear I've never seen a heads off those damn things), but his videos make for good skeletons at least.

Last edited:

I've found the above to be a decent base: Malamar puts in a lot of work if it goes unchecked. It's rare that I agree 100% with Donald's trainer choices (my burning hatred of Skates is without bounds, I swear I've never seen a heads off those damn things), but his videos make for good skeletons at least.

He pretty much says that he runs a lot of unconventional trainers because he wants to see for himself how well they will work, rather than just accepting what everyone says about them. I think that's admirable.

Malamar EX does seem the best option. Better than Trevanant EX, for sure.

Hi,

Some pleople are saying that it this deck(or Sceptile Ex deck) can be a tier 1 deck. Is that true?

Any thoughts on a good non ex attacker for this deck. Regice/Beautifly could be a problem.
I'm currently using shiftry for those 1hkos. But it takes a lot of space and not the most consistent. But this deck needs something that can do both jobs well.

Any thoughts on a good non ex attacker for this deck. Regice/Beautifly could be a problem.
I'm currently using shiftry for those 1hkos. But it takes a lot of space and not the most consistent. But this deck needs something that can do both jobs well.

Virizion from Ancient Origins can hit for 120 for 2 Energy. KO's Regice and with a Muscle Band, Beautifly.

Only if you are behind in prizes iirc. This deck could still use something that can 1hkos the megas like ray that threaten the 1hkos back. Though I guess raichu can do that.

My friend has suggested instead of using Ariados, go with Victreebel and Miltank. On Victreebel, you discard an energy for its ability, but it poisons and confuses compared to Ariados' simple poison. In addition to that, it hits grass decks too. I have yet to really experiment with it though. One card I'm eyeing for it is the Zoroark from Break Through. For a DCE you can hit 10 + (30 x the number of opponent's benched Pokemon), so if your opponent has a full bench, and they often will, you can hit for 160. Not to mention it has Keldeo's ability.

For the deck's skeleton, I found using Energy Retrieval works nicely for acceleration. Pay the cost for retreating, then retrieve the energy and when you use Jagged Saber again, you can recharge your Sceptile and heal it in one swoop.

My deck currently has 2 letters and 2 retrievals. I don't really get them when I need them though. This deck needs skyla or something like it, to be consistently good imo.
I have been contemplating Victreebell, but it takes up just as much space as shiftry and provides less versatility.
Shiftry's ability is good and it can and will attack. Victreebell will only ever use its ability.

Energy recyclers, maintenance and paint rollers are proving pretty nice if you pull fast and hard. Plus if you find your self low on cards this is great for free pulling and then putting them back to get what you want with Shauna. When Virgin Ex was around, that with Regice was my go to team.

I've been testing super scoop up in a malamar variant. I find myself having all my energy on my pokemon many times. I know I don't want to wait until something gets knocked out to recycle the energy.
This way I can scoop up a damaged pokemon and then charge and heal up to 2 more pokemon. It also let's you reuse shaymin.

I currently run a m sceptile malamar deck I have 2 malamar and one Lugia, trevenant, and virizion as other options for attackers, I would say add tierno or Shauna as well to increase draw power you want to have as many energy as you can in your hand to utilize m sceptile and power up other attackers

I have been thinking about that. There are times I can't use a supporter because I have the energy I need to attack.
Another reason why I think skyla would be really good for this deck if it gets reprinted.
Shiftry helps with drawing as well. But it doesn't seem to be as consistent as malamar.

Last edited:
In my opinion this is the best sceptile list:

Pokémon: 14
  • 3 M Sceptile-EX
  • 3 Sceptile-EX
  • 2 Shaymin-EX
  • 2 Jynx
  • 1 Malamar-EX
  • 1 Virizion
  • 1 Ariados
  • 1 Spinarak
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 34
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observation
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Pokemon Fan Club
  • 1 Ace Trainer
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 1 AZ
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Sceptile Spirit Link
  • 2 Switch
  • 2 Mega Turbo
  • 1 Energy Retrieval
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 3 Shrine of memories
Energy: 12
  • 10 Grass Energy
  • 2 Dark Energy

^Right. Best take out the Jynx and up the count of Spinarak and Ariados by one each, especially if we're rolling with Shrine of Memories (which is actually a pretty cool idea, now that I think about it - I'd just been running BVS over that in the deck I'd theorymon'd, but giving M-Sceptile an opportunity to 2HKO M-Manectric is pretty solid). @SpaKk I'd also advise you to find a way to put one more Professor's Letter in there somehow, but that's not as important as replacing Jynx with spiders.

My list is a little different. I'm still testing but i do like the changes i made to it.

Sceptile/Malamar
Pokemon:
4-3 Mega Sceptile EX
2 Malamar EX
2 Shaymin Ex
1 Virizion AOS

Trainer:
4 Sycamore
2 Birch
2 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac
4 Ultra Ball
3 VS Seeker
3 Forest of Giant Plants
3 Spirit Links
2 Mega Turbo
2 Super Scoop Up
2 Trainer’s Mail
2 Switch
2 Professor's Letter
1 Energy Recycle
1 Escape Rope

Energy:
9 Grass
3 Dark

I still don't like Virizion here, i just don't know what to use for Regice. Either way, scoop ups recycle energy and allow for more prize denial. The lack of energy retrieval kind of hurts. But i found it really hard to hit those when i actually had energy in my discard after i changed from Shiftry to Malamar. Energy Recycle covers decking out and recycles some energy. Granted its not as useful as having them in my hand. I rather have 5 energy in deck rather then 2 energy in hand as my only way of getting back energy.

Shrine of Memories is interesting. But i do like turn 1 Jagged Saber too much to take it out.

Jynx is good because denied 2HKO of mega Manectric and it is very important i think.

Back