Discussion M Mewtwo V M Gardevoir

ambo

Aspiring Trainer
The soon to be BDIF: Mega Mewtwo has very few counters but a very effective one is Mega Gardevoir from Steam Siege. It can one shot a M Mewtwo for only 2 energy.

M Gardevoir-EX* – Fairy / Psychic – HP210
Mega Evolution – Evolves from Gardevoir-EX
When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.
[Y][C] Despair Ray: 110+ damage. Discard as many of your Benched Pokemon as you like. This attack does 10 more damage for each Benched Pokemon you discarded in this way.
When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Weakness: Metal (x2)
Resistance: Darkness (-20)
Retreat: 2

What are the best ways for the Mewtwo player to even out the matchup be? I thought that if the Mewtwo list plays garbodor then maybe play Wally and try to set up Garb T1 as this would slow down Gardevoir by a lot considering it will probably play 4 Shaymin EXs.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

:)

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I wrote an in-depth article on Mega Mewtwo Y, check it out and comment in the thread

Nothing right now really helps Mewtwo win this fight. Mega Gardevoir is weak to Metal, so ideally you'd want a Metal attacker with a mostly colorless cost who can hit for at least 110 damage. Enter Magearna-EX:

Magearna-EX – Metal – HP160
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Mystic Heart
Prevent all effects of your opponent’s attacks, except damage, done to each of your Pokemon that has [M] Energy attached to it.

[M][C][C] Soul Blaster: 120 damage. During your next turn, this Pokemon’s Soul Blaster attack does 60 damage.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 1

This thing couldn't be more anti-Gardevoir if it tried. Soul Blaster--which is DCE-friendly, by the way--melts Gardy's pretty little face off, no questions asked. If they Lysandre around you to pick off Mewtwo, then the effect of Soul Blaster goes away, allowing you to once again OHKO. If you toss a belt on Magearna they will never be able to OHKO you even with Sky Field. Mystic Heart is just icing on the cake.

SaucySedcer

Aspiring Trainer
I wrote an in-depth article on Mega Mewtwo Y, check it out and comment in the thread

Nothing right now really helps Mewtwo win this fight. Mega Gardevoir is weak to Metal, so ideally you'd want a Metal attacker with a mostly colorless cost who can hit for at least 110 damage. Enter Magearna-EX:

Magearna-EX – Metal – HP160
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Mystic Heart
Prevent all effects of your opponent’s attacks, except damage, done to each of your Pokemon that has [M] Energy attached to it.

[M][C][C] Soul Blaster: 120 damage. During your next turn, this Pokemon’s Soul Blaster attack does 60 damage.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 1

This thing couldn't be more anti-Gardevoir if it tried. Soul Blaster--which is DCE-friendly, by the way--melts Gardy's pretty little face off, no questions asked. If they Lysandre around you to pick off Mewtwo, then the effect of Soul Blaster goes away, allowing you to once again OHKO. If you toss a belt on Magearna they will never be able to OHKO you even with Sky Field. Mystic Heart is just icing on the cake.

I play Gardevoir and Magearna-EX is probably the best counter to it. The only issue with Magearna is that it is begging to get sniped, and Gardevoir can easily hit 180 damage. Garbodor is decent if your opponent is playing Giratina, but otherwise, trying to Wally into a Garbodor is a bad idea.

Edit: Note I am using Brilliant Arrow and the new one.

ambo

Aspiring Trainer
Thank you for the feedback guys! I will definitely find a way to incorporate1 or 2 Magearna EX and a couple of Metal/Rainbow energy into my deck! :)

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
The soon to be BDIF: Mega Mewtwo has very few counters...
:)
IMO, M Mewtwo EX decks will definitely be Tier 1 in the next season, but the M Alkazam EX players may also challenge the BDIF status too. Further, M Rayquaza EX and Darkrai EX decks can easily compete with M Mewtwo EX decks, IMO, too.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Mega Alakazam won't be anywhere near tier one until we get a way to deal with Garbodor.

Ray and Darkrai do give it trouble though.

Shiny Shinx

WE ARE IN THE BEAM
The best counter to any deck? Being faster. If the M Mewtwo player can get set up before the Gardevoir player, their job becomes a lot easier, as they can then focus on one-shotting Gardevoirs before they can become a threat. Even if they attempt to build up a Gardevoir on the Bench, Lysandre takes care of that. As long as the M Mewtwo deck can outspeed Gardevoir (which Garbodor helps with immensely), they can win in the majority of the matches.

~SS

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The best counter to any deck? Being faster. If the M Mewtwo player can get set up before the Gardevoir player, their job becomes a lot easier, as they can then focus on one-shotting Gardevoirs before they can become a threat. Even if they attempt to build up a Gardevoir on the Bench, Lysandre takes care of that. As long as the M Mewtwo deck can outspeed Gardevoir (which Garbodor helps with immensely), they can win in the majority of the matches.

~SS

I don't think you realize what you're asking. Mewtwo will never set up before Gardevoir because, against Mewtwo, Gardevoir doesn't need to set up past the first Gardevoir. They hit you for Weakness and you need to move mountains just to revenge KO. Even if you do manage it, if they have another Gardevoir set up (or just a Mega Turbo and an Energy) then your five-Energy Mewtwo is OHKOed and I guarantee you won't do it the next turn.

Just use Magearna-EX. It's way, way, way easier than trying to take Gardevoir on with Mewtwo and the only way you're getting out of this matchup alive.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I really do think Gardevoir is the check for Mewtwo. I plan on splashing it in my deck since I can kill Mewtwo in one hit and Mewtwo needs to do so much to revenge it. Gardevoir also gets over Damage Swap with is a big deal.