Discussion M-Manectric and RSK Thundurus EX

DarkMatterGaming

Aspiring Trainer
For the moment, I predominantly play PTCGO as my main TCG sim; over the course of playing this morning (because I had nothing to do because I overslept, go me!) I ran into a M-Manectric + RSK Thundurus EX deck a couple of times - two, if I remember correctly.

The main goal - as far as I can tell - is boost up Thundurus EX for Voltage Rush (3 Electric, 150 damage; 50 damage to self) with Turbo Bolt. One version used Protection Cube to counteract the 50 damage to self, and the other played Muscle Band to bolster it to 170.

I don't know a decklist off of what I saw, but I did see a handful of Battle Compressor, Mega Turbo, Ultra Ball and Rough Seas.

So, out of curiosity for the more experienced competitive TCG players, how viable is this deck? I feel like it has potential, but using only MegaMan and Thundurus as attackers makes the prize trade very unfavorable. It also had a lot of trouble against Donphan, which - while it's rotating soon - means it has trouble with a lot of Fighting decks, something predominant thanks to Furious Fists.

I feel if this deck were to take off, it'd need at least a tech of Mewtwo EX to fight off the big Fighting types floating around.

Anyway, thoughts?

pokemonkosh

A Freakin' Monkey
Well, I guess you could see it as a counter to Mega Rayquaza and Shaymin-EX.
Other than that, it sucks.
Besides, you only need Mega Manectric to KO Ray-Ray.

MMAmonchan

Pokemon = Dota2
Thundurus EX does not seem to have a notable place in this meta-game. For every thing that Thundurus Ex RSK can do, there is a pokemon-EX that can do it better. This is not to say that pairing it with M-Manectric EX is inherently a bad idea. 150 for three can be nice in certain situations, but with M-Manectric EX energy requirements are rarely a problem. Simply put, if getting the 4th energy onto the pokemon is not that difficult then why not a play with a less situational pokemon that will synergize more effectively with M-Manectric EX (Black Kyurem EX PLS or Zekrom EX LTR for example).

Mora

Don't Panic
I'd sooner play M Manectric by itself than pair it with Thundurus EX. Manectric's damage output is fine, and if you play Max Potion, you can just use Turbo Bolt all day.

asdjklghty

-------------
So far Thundurus EX (RSK) is only a card for a specific kind of deck and that is a Counter Speedquaza deck. Yes 50 damage to yourself sucks but without Altaria or its ability shut off, it can OHKO M Rayquaza.

Blui

lv85 paladin
So far Thundurus EX (RSK) is only a card for a specific kind of deck and that is a Counter Speedquaza deck. Yes 50 damage to yourself sucks but without Altaria or its ability shut off, it can OHKO M Rayquaza.

That 50 damage is a lot you know? At that point a M-Ray needs only 4 Pokemon on Bench to KO you and they're setting up so much faster than your three coloured energy Thundurus. And as you mentioned in your post, Altaria just shuts it off and you still take 50 damage without Knocking them Out.

What's the point of Thundurus if Manectric does the job better? And I'm not even talking about M-Manectric, the regular one deals with Rayquaza just fine (unless there are any Altaria in play) with a strong Assault Laser for 240. Off two energy. Without recoil damage.

asdjklghty

-------------
That 50 damage is a lot you know? At that point a M-Ray needs only 4 Pokemon on Bench to KO you and they're setting up so much faster than your three coloured energy Thundurus. And as you mentioned in your post, Altaria just shuts it off and you still take 50 damage without Knocking them Out.

What's the point of Thundurus if Manectric does the job better? And I'm not even talking about M-Manectric, the regular one deals with Rayquaza just fine (unless there are any Altaria in play) with a strong Assault Laser for 240. Off two energy. Without recoil damage.
You could have Garbodor with a tool attached to it, have Thundurus with Protection Cube and use it to attack M Ray. The problem about using M Manectric as the main attacker is that I wouldn't want it to get ko'd. I would rather sacrifice Thundurus.

crowfeather4

R.I.P. Night March
Personally, I think this card will not make an impact. I could see it with MegaMan as a sort of secondary attacker, but besides that there's not much else for it. I think it will only go as far as a one-of in MegaMan decks, but who knows? Bandit Ring could bring us some new surprises.

Blui

lv85 paladin
You could have Garbodor with a tool attached to it, have Thundurus with Protection Cube and use it to attack M Ray. The problem about using M Manectric as the main attacker is that I wouldn't want it to get ko'd. I would rather sacrifice Thundurus.

Why would you rather sacrifice a Thundurus? You lose less resources when a Manectric gets Knocked Out, unless you swung with a Mega, but if you did that you have considerable board position that you would not have gained with Thundurus. Remember that Manectric has all the same resources as Thundurus but is a better card, both individually and in context of the format.

totodile_it_down

Rogue Life
Thundurus EX RSK is a decent one-of in decks that already run Lightning energy. Paralyzation, especially on a Toad, could be the difference between a win and a loss. Also, decks that run Manectric EX often have trouble getting OHKOs, which Thundurus, with a little help from Muscle Band and/or LaserBank, is able to achieve. It's an excellent ace-in-the-hole (thanks Archie ;)) that will often take your opponent by surprise. Just be sure to run at least one Energy Switch to ease the difficulty of getting that Voltage Rush powered up should it be necessary.

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
What does Thundurus EX do for M-Manectric that couldn't be done with Zekrom (LTR). I know that Zekrom does 30 less damage for the same energy cost, but he trades much better with EX's and that 120 is enough for OHKO M-Ray with weakness with no Muscle Band/Silver Bangle that M-Manectric would need. The damage Zekrom gives himself also because useful with its Outrage unlike Thundurus EX. The only thing I see Thundurus EX do is have a 50% chance at paralysis for 1 energy which could be very useful, but for raw damage I feel Zekrom is the better choice.

totodile_it_down

Rogue Life
What does Thundurus EX do for M-Manectric that couldn't be done with Zekrom (LTR). I know that Zekrom does 30 less damage for the same energy cost, but he trades much better with EX's and that 120 is enough for OHKO M-Ray with weakness with no Muscle Band/Silver Bangle that M-Manectric would need. The damage Zekrom gives himself also because useful with its Outrage unlike Thundurus EX. The only thing I see Thundurus EX do is have a 50% chance at paralysis for 1 energy which could be very useful, but for raw damage I feel Zekrom is the better choice.
Fair enough. There are a lot of Manectric/Seismitoad builds that lack OHKO power. Those lists already run plenty of Muscle Bands and Lasers, so it isn't inconceivable to splash a Thundurus in for the late game big knock, or to attempt to stall early-to-mid game with Paralysis while you set up your board. I'm not saying it's a must have in any list, but I think it'll prove to be more useful than most people seem to think.