• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M Houndoom EX (PCL-On)

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
This is my method to maximize M Houndoom's power for the new format:

Pokémon – 13

4 Houndoom-EX
3 M Houndoom-EX
1 Volcanion
1 Clauncher
1 Clawitzer
1 Hoopa-EX
2 Shaymin-EX

Trainer Cards – 37

3 Professor Sycamore
3 N
1 Lysandre
1 Delinquent
1 Team Rocket's Handiwork
1 Hex Maniac
1 Pokémon Ranger

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
3 Trainers' Mail
3 Mega Turbo
2 Max Potion
2 Special Charge
1 Super Rod
3 Houndoom Spirit Link
3 Float Stone

1 Parallel City

Energy – 10

6 Fire Energy
4 Burning Energy

Total Cards - 60

Strategy:

Even without Blacksmith, I find that this deck keeps on hitting for a nice 160 with ease. My trick was to incorporate Burning Energy as part of this strategy: A Clawitzer thin line lets me attach the special energy if needed, and 2 Special Charge recycles it so I can keep up the pressure. Mega Turbos also help quite a bit, too. This deck usually won't 1-Hit most Ex's here, but 2-Hits are still nice - and almost anything non-EX easily gets burnt by this build.

One thing I'm wondering about are the Pokemon Catchers. I like how they can drag out Shaymins and supports to knock out, but I feel like removing them to add 2 Max Potions and a Super Rod. That way, I can keep M Houndoom alive for a while. I don't know...

Any other ideas and advice for this deck is appreciated.

Edit1: A Few changes applied.

Last edited:
This looks really cool, thanks so much for sharing!

I, too, am trying my hand at doing something viable and fun with M Houndoom EX as I feel like he's got some really interesting potential. Lord knows every league is about to be or already is flooded with countless M Rayquaza and M Mewtwo decks, so doing something out of the ordinary is always great to throw people off. It's also my first foray into deck building so please take my limited knowledge with a grain of salt!

My idea revolved around getting out M Houndoom with burning energies and using the Flareon EX deck strategy that has been going around lately where you use TM Camerupt to pull energies from the discard and attach them to Flareon. I had also thought about using Shrine of Memories to be able to use things like Melting Horn for some early disrupt, but I haven't quite wrapped my brain around it yet.

Have you considered running some Fighting Fury Belts to give M Houndoom EX that little bit of extra push to take out some of the 170HP EX Pokemon? Sucks that Muscle Band is out or i'd use that.

Anyway, hope you'll forgive me for my limited knowledge and hope what little input I gave can help!

I don't really rate Clawitzer for Houndoom because the energy requirement is so easy to manage as it is, but I can see where you're coming from. I'd also say that just the one Parallel City seems a little lacking, could maybe ramp up the count and include some Scorched Earth as well for draw support. I don't really know what to recommend to take out, but there you go. I really just wanted to say that Max Potion is hilarious in this deck, due to the ability to fire energy back on / you're discarding it all anyway, resetting to a full 210HP could be a massive pain for your opponent. Again, not entirely sure what to take out, but I love the list generally.

Have you considered running some Fighting Fury Belts to give M Houndoom EX that little bit of extra push to take out some of the 170HP EX Pokemon? Sucks that Muscle Band is out or i'd use that.

Aren't Fighting Fury belts only for Basic pokemon?

I like potentially running a 1-of Team rockets handiwork for the potential combo with houndoom ex to late game mill your opponent if they mismanage resources

Thank You all for the feedback! Some things to say...

-Usually, I only play a good number of stadiums as part of a strategy in decks, and when few actually help it, a Delinquent does a good job to block opponents stadiums instead. I don't think Scorched Earth is needed much, as the draw support seems pretty standard, and I would rather attach that same energy from my hand.
-Flareon EX could make a good backup, but given how I'm emphasizing energy to M Houndoom more, I chose Volcanion to accelerate energy to instead. However, I did in fact make an awesome Flareon-EX/Magma's Camerupt deck that once that used a Houndoom tech as a Miller against those annoying Wailord decks. I'll need to adjust that one, though, given how reliant it was with Blacksmith.
-Team Rocket's Handiwork sounds like a great tech! I'm going to try and see how worthwhile it is by swapping Giovanni's Scheme.

I'm going to add my Max Potion/Super Rod Changes and see how it works.

Thank You all for the feedback! Some things to say...

-Usually, I only play a good number of stadiums as part of a strategy in decks, and when few actually help it, a Delinquent does a good job to block opponents stadiums instead. I don't think Scorched Earth is needed much, as the draw support seems pretty standard, and I would rather attach that same energy from my hand.
-Flareon EX could make a good backup, but given how I'm emphasizing energy to M Houndoom more, I chose Volcanion to accelerate energy to instead. However, I did in fact make an awesome Flareon-EX/Magma's Camerupt deck that once that used a Houndoom tech as a Miller against those annoying Wailord decks. I'll need to adjust that one, though, given how reliant it was with Blacksmith.
-Team Rocket's Handiwork sounds like a great tech! I'm going to try and see how worthwhile it is by swapping Giovanni's Scheme.

I'm going to add my Max Potion/Super Rod Changes and see how it works.
I honestly would keep the Giovanni and drop something else because of its versatility. You can either OHKO or draw until you have 5. But it's your choice.

Back