• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M-Alakazam EX Post Rotation

Kanade

Aspiring Trainer
Hi guys, since it's already time to build new decks for the current standard format, I need to know if M-Alakazam deck can still run and be competitive... I noticed how vital it is to lose the access to Dimension Valley, slowing this deck so badly... Can we get around this?... Can this guy survive the meta game even with slowed down attacks? What are good alternatives that I need to know about for running this mustache dude in the current standard format?

Thanks before

Oh, I'll just put a random decklist to be fixed later

Pokemon: 12
  • 4 Alakazam EX FAC
  • 4 M Alakazam EX FAC
  • 2 Absol ROS
  • 2 Shaymin EX PHF
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 34
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 4 Trainer's Mail
  • 4 Alakazam Spirit Link
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Red Card
  • 1 Startling Megaphone
  • 4 Professor's Sycamore
  • 2 N
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 AZ
  • 3 Dimension Valley
Energy: 7
  • 7 Psychic Energy

Since that is a expanded list do this for starts

-1 M Alakazam ex
-1 Alakazam ex
-1 red card
-2 psychic energy

+1 scoop up cyclone ACE SPEC
+2 mystery energy
+ 2 devolution spray

Somewhat basic changes for expanded format,

I haven't given up on mega alakazam either. All the other energy costs for mega Pokemon are also 2-3. What I feel it loses is trainer cards like AZ and super scoop up to recycle the abilities in the deck and heal off the damage in standard. Dimension valley gave energy momentum to fuel the healing. In expanded, this has potential once Karen is legal in tournament play and night March falls out of favor.

I created a M-Alakazam deck for my son and he loves playing it. I am using Porygon-Z's first attack to de-evolve Alakazam. Also, look at Crawdaunt to take off energy from opposing Pokemon. Its pretty easy to set up quickly and once it gets going, its pretty cool. Also, I have Milotic to draw from discard.

In your Thread heading, you've indicated that your deck is designated "Standard, post-rotation;" but your deck seems to be mostly expanded format. So, you might want to change your Thread title accordingly.

However, going forward into the new season, I'm finding the new STS Hoopa to be a great starter for M Alakazam EX. I'd recommend checking out this new Pokémon.

I created a M-Alakazam deck for my son and he loves playing it. I am using Porygon-Z's first attack to de-evolve Alakazam. Also, look at Crawdaunt to take off energy from opposing Pokemon. Its pretty easy to set up quickly and once it gets going, its pretty cool. Also, I have Milotic to draw from discard.
So, in other words, you're using a deck list from DIG. Good luck with that. :p

However, going forward into the new season, I'm finding the new STS Hoopa to be a great starter for M Alakazam EX. I'd recommend checking out this new Pokémon.
I was highly considering the use of the new Hoopa over ROS Deoxys, but ultimately ended up trying out the STS Galvantula, which failed. :p

So, in other words, you're using a deck list from DIG. Good luck with that. :p

I used his as a basis for mine, but I removed and added some things. My son loves the deck. I built in online and it has a 75% win ratio. I think with further tweaking, it will be more solid. It actually runs better without Milotic and with Puzzle of Times, but my son wants to keep it in there so. Personally I hate playing EX's because of the prize counts. I have a Delphox/Volcanion/Entei that is pretty solid and competitive. With Blacksmith gone, Volcanion and Entei are my energy accelerators.

I've been trying a similar list since AlakazamEX/M-AlakazamEX is quite a fast pokemon. But I struggle a little sometimes to get enough 'pre-damage' onto enemies to ensure the knockout.

Back